Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 26 Jul 2019, 12:09 (Ref:3919432)   #5276
Johno.UK
Racer

Johno.UK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by btccbloke View Post
Sorry to state what you missed, but as you will have seen from the context on my quote I was kind of already pointing this out to the guy who said "It's happened in F1 several times so if it's not an issue there I don't see why it would be in BTCC." - im still waiting for his example where this happened in F1 several times
So you've never heard of teams searching for sponsors doing "glory" runs to get the headlines then? I can't remember exact time and dates but I've been following F1 and motorsport since the early 70's and I'm 100% sure that many teams have been accused of it over the years.
Old 26 Jul 2019, 12:24 (Ref:3919436)   #5277
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johno.UK View Post
So you've never heard of teams searching for sponsors doing "glory" runs to get the headlines then? I can't remember exact time and dates but I've been following F1 and motorsport since the early 70's and I'm 100% sure that many teams have been accused of it over the years.
Day 4 at Barcelona this year comes to mind:

'Renault's Nico Hulkenberg was having a fairly quiet pre-season test – at least until the German came out of nowhere on the final day of the first week to post the fastest time seen so far in Barcelona this year: a 1m 17.393s.'
Old 26 Jul 2019, 13:43 (Ref:3919441)   #5278
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I think a lot of people are getting worked over nothing. The Alfa is an established car in the series. HMS is an established team. Rob Austin is an established driver. They still have their licence, they are allowed to do the test and it’s up to them how they do it
Old 26 Jul 2019, 14:09 (Ref:3919447)   #5279
btccbloke
Veteran

Wales
btccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbtccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Yes I have heard of teams who are competing in a championship to do "glory runs" in test or practice sessions by running perhaps an unorthodox set up in order to get their name in lights and dazzle their sponsors.

What I have never heard of is teams that have surrendered their right to compete turning up and doing it.
Old 26 Jul 2019, 14:14 (Ref:3919448)   #5280
btccbloke
Veteran

Wales
btccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbtccbloke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
I think a lot of people are getting worked over nothing. The Alfa is an established car in the series. HMS is an established team. Rob Austin is an established driver. They still have their licence, they are allowed to do the test and it’s up to them how they do it
well thats it, they dont, if we are basing their participation on still having their licence then motorbase should only have been allowed to run 2 cars
Old 26 Jul 2019, 14:31 (Ref:3919450)   #5281
Robin Marriott
Veteran

Robin Marriott should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not sure why it even really matters. HMS were there, Austin did some laps, nobody knows what boost/ballast/bits they were running, they set some times. Who cares about the non existent drama of it all?
Old 26 Jul 2019, 14:31 (Ref:3919451)   #5282
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Get over it, if Gow was happy for them to turn up, then what’s the problem? The other teams didn’t seem to mind Rob being there
Old 21 Aug 2019, 07:33 (Ref:3923594)   #5283
Johno.UK
Racer

Nice idea for the fans but I can see some issues - https://www.autosport.com/btcc/news/...setup-for-fans

The teams will still have to have the fuel drums etc on the paddock side as they can't be stored in the pitlane plus they all have closed backs to their garage setups which they're going to have to do something about to get the cars in and out.
Old 21 Aug 2019, 07:44 (Ref:3923596)   #5284
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
My brain is telling me walls will have to be knocked down... (unless I'm out of date again!)

Fans are allowed in pit lane during the lunch break/ autograph session so a decent view is afforded albeit for a short time.

And the cars are being worked on pretty much constantly, how many hard working mechanics get to put their feet up for a buttie and cuppa 'til the car leaves the garage for it's final outing of the day?
Old 21 Aug 2019, 08:10 (Ref:3923600)   #5285
S griffin
Veteran

I remember they did it round the back at Silverstone in 06. Worked quite, no reason why it can't again
Old 21 Aug 2019, 08:16 (Ref:3923602)   #5286
Johno.UK
Racer

Silverstone no problem as the garages are massive compared to most circuits. Other circuits not so much.
Old 21 Aug 2019, 08:19 (Ref:3923603)   #5287
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Indeed, Snet, Oulton and Thruxton are limited.
Old 21 Aug 2019, 09:02 (Ref:3923606)   #5288
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Silverstone no problem as the garages are massive compared to most circuits. Other circuits not so much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
From the BTCC website (Gow):

'Normally the garages are ‘dressed’ and set-up to face the pit-lane so are really only seen by ourselves – the fans usually just get to see the back walls of the garage and all the messy bits. By effectively reversing the pit garages so that the front faces into the paddock, they will get to see everything going on inside. If it works – which I’m sure it will – in addition to Silverstone, the same layout could also be used at Donington Park and Snetterton – anywhere we can make plenty of room behind the garages. This will create a more immersive atmosphere as the fans can watch the teams and drivers preparing for their races. Then, when the cars need to be on track, the team will just push the car back and out the pit-lane door. '
Old 21 Aug 2019, 09:05 (Ref:3923607)   #5289
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Fair enough, there is room behind the garages at those circuits. The is also a fire corridor immediately behind the garages so I hope they don't infringe on that. Especially at Donington where the lady fire marshal is particularly vicious.
Old 21 Aug 2019, 09:25 (Ref:3923608)   #5290
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
But the trucks park behind the garages, team access into & out of the garages with tools & bits etc (including the huge tyre trolleys) is through the back of the garages. Surely encouraging spectators to access this area is going to be very awkward for the teams?
Old 21 Aug 2019, 11:17 (Ref:3923618)   #5291
Johno.UK
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
From the BTCC website (Gow):

'Normally the garages are ‘dressed’ and set-up to face the pit-lane so are really only seen by ourselves – the fans usually just get to see the back walls of the garage and all the messy bits. By effectively reversing the pit garages so that the front faces into the paddock, they will get to see everything going on inside. If it works – which I’m sure it will – in addition to Silverstone, the same layout could also be used at Donington Park and Snetterton – anywhere we can make plenty of room behind the garages. This will create a more immersive atmosphere as the fans can watch the teams and drivers preparing for their races. Then, when the cars need to be on track, the team will just push the car back and out the pit-lane door. '
That makes more sense. The original autosport article (changed since) didn't mention directly that it would only apply to certain tracks.
Old 21 Aug 2019, 13:18 (Ref:3923626)   #5292
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
But the trucks park behind the garages, team access into & out of the garages with tools & bits etc (including the huge tyre trolleys) is through the back of the garages. Surely encouraging spectators to access this area is going to be very awkward for the teams?
Goodness I bet TOCA agent thought this through at all and will take onboard all of the "advice" being offered........or maybe they have and it will just be fantastic....
Old 21 Aug 2019, 13:31 (Ref:3923629)   #5293
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
It's true what they say. Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit.
Old 21 Aug 2019, 17:52 (Ref:3923656)   #5294
RS67
Veteran

RS67 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
At Thruxton the cars are in the awnings and you can already stand and watch the cars being prepared. The garages are just used by the teams to watch the races on their monitors and if they are fortunate enough to have their trucks/awning behind the garages, they can push their cars through and out into the pitlane.
Old 27 Aug 2019, 13:14 (Ref:3924347)   #5295
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
https://twitter.com/teamhardracing/s...966067200?s=21

Interesting image here showing a CC in a plain livery...

So... is it a spare car? A non BTCC spec show car? An old picture? Or has a HARD driver stepped down?
Old 27 Aug 2019, 17:12 (Ref:3924380)   #5296
S griffin
Veteran

They will probably give him at least a test run
Old 27 Aug 2019, 17:26 (Ref:3924384)   #5297
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evantra View Post
https://twitter.com/teamhardracing/s...966067200?s=21

Interesting image here showing a CC in a plain livery...

So... is it a spare car? A non BTCC spec show car? An old picture? Or has a HARD driver stepped down?
It's in the same base livery as Crees' car, so would suggest that it might be a show car that can be stickered up as required.
Old 27 Aug 2019, 17:27 (Ref:3924385)   #5298
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Interesting. I don't believe there is a spare. If it were a show car I'd reasonably expect some branding on it - even if that were simply #HARD logos. Has Goff #HAD enough #HARD? Or vice versa - he's not brought anything to the party. Crees has been surprisingly good (to me at any rate), the only #HARD incumbent I've been pleasantly surprised by this season.
Old 27 Aug 2019, 17:53 (Ref:3924391)   #5299
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Interesting. I don't believe there is a spare. If it were a show car I'd reasonably expect some branding on it - even if that were simply #HARD logos. Has Goff #HAD enough #HARD? Or vice versa - he's not brought anything to the party. Crees has been surprisingly good (to me at any rate), the only #HARD incumbent I've been pleasantly surprised by this season.
Goff's car has more green, with pink and yellow accents. It would seem a bit strange to change the colour to match Crees' base scheme if Goff has left?

It also has different colour door handles to the four cars that have been on track this season, along with the rear arches looking different also?

Old 27 Aug 2019, 17:57 (Ref:3924392)   #5300
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
There isn't a 5th VW to use as a spare. Could be the car they ran in VW Cup a while back, or just a 'replica' built for show purposes. From the details you can make out, it definitely not an NGTC car.