Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 2 Sep 2019, 18:18 (Ref:3925451)   #4476
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
2019 has been the best IndyCar schedule since 1995 before the infamous split. The 2020 schedule could only have improved upon that if they had added an 18th race which they didn't. IndyCar racing can be amazing on short tracks so Richmond is rather welcome. I did not follow the sport for the most part of the 00s because I did not own a TV then and streaming wasn't a thing yet but Franchitti's Indy 500 victory and reunification had my interest return. So I missed out on the races at Richmond. For now, my guess is it is a good addition.

With Indianapolis the only superspeedway remaining, one has to wonder about the future of IndyCar superspeedway racing at other venues.

Pocono should have promoted itself as the place where champions come to to win: Looking at IndyCar's history, it's almost only been Indy 500 champions and series champions who have won the Pocono 500, the lone exception to this rule being Teo Fabi. You want to see a champion win, go to see the Pocono 500.
It seems like both the track and the series do not rule out a return. The track might only be eligible to skip an increase in the sanctioning fee if they sit out a year? Who knows if title sponsor ABC Supply's downsizing of their IndyCar sponsorship has also affected the Pocono 500? It may be a bit of everything.
Here's hoping the track will improve the safety fencing in time for a return whenever that may occur. Not racing in the Northeast seems like a lamentable omission. And if they cannot find a fitting venue in the US, IndyCar should try to make a deal to run on Montreal's Ile de Notre Dame.
But the perfect opportunity that didn't materialize to run an IndyCar race in the Northeast would have been the Saturday Afternoon time slot after F1 qualifying in Bernie Ecclestone's pipe dream, the Atlantic Grand Prix of Formula 1 on New Jersey's Port Imperial street circuit which was rumored some years ago.
Old 3 Sep 2019, 16:20 (Ref:3925636)   #4477
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
St Pete is 1 week before Sebring.

Barber is 1 week before the Augusta Masters.

Austin is 4 weeks before Nascar at Texas.

The season finale at Laguna Seca is 1 week after the IMSA race.
Old 3 Sep 2019, 16:22 (Ref:3925637)   #4478
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Richmond clashes with the IMSA 6 Hours of the Glen.
Old 3 Sep 2019, 19:01 (Ref:3925658)   #4479
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
St Pete is 1 week before Sebring.

Barber is 1 week before the Augusta Masters.

Austin is 4 weeks before Nascar at Texas.

The season finale at Laguna Seca is 1 week after the IMSA race.
They have both been rather close for a while. Barber used to be later and closer to the end of April, usually the same weekend as the Mitty Historics at Road Atlanta. (not material for attendees, only impacted a few people but was a strange coincidence I thought) Doubt there is much concern for Indy vs Masters audience.

Sebring and St Pete becomes tough for support people trackside, it's already a long weekend for Sebring now with WEC in town as well.

Laguna is always going to be a problem and I believe there are stipulations in the contract about fees related to the scheduling and gaps in the scheduling.

Personally glad the Talladega races for NASCAR have taken a few of those fans from Road Atlanta this season, spring race was Mitty weekend and the fall race is Petit weekend.

Last edited by broadrun96; 3 Sep 2019 at 19:17.
Old 3 Sep 2019, 19:32 (Ref:3925660)   #4480
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I think they have a good balance on the calendar. Of course it will be hard with so many other US series. Barber is a good place to go, as is Laguna
Old 4 Sep 2019, 14:49 (Ref:3925806)   #4481
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
This year in Argentina, several provinces have implemented speedweeks, that is, having major races on consecutive weekends.
Old 6 Sep 2019, 07:41 (Ref:3926142)   #4482
CarfanLUFC
Racer

Zimbabwe
A Yorkshire Farm
CarfanLUFC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCarfanLUFC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
it's sad to see Pocono go. Also the balance is slightly wrong for me, i'd like a couple more ovals, there is a few too many stale road courses on there.
Old 6 Sep 2019, 10:48 (Ref:3926171)   #4483
Bcarr6
Veteran

Bcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I personally wouldn’t want any more ovals than is there.
Old 6 Sep 2019, 11:18 (Ref:3926175)   #4484
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcarr6 View Post
I personally wouldn’t want any more ovals than is there.
I would like to see another oval, in particular another super speedway, now Pocono has gone.
Old 6 Sep 2019, 11:35 (Ref:3926178)   #4485
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
I would like to see another oval, in particular another super speedway, now Pocono has gone.
Where else would they go? We've seen Charlotte and it was BAD, not with the current cars but concerns still the same. The super speedway racing has mostly been poorly received and rated as some of the worst races of the season, as with everything outside of Indy. Texas was more entertaining in qualifying than the race, and has you waiting NASCAR style for the wreck and who's ending up in the fence. Pocono wasn't great and compared to Iowa or Gateway it was terrible. I don't know if the cars, design, or what but something seems to not be compatible with good racing and the high banks. But then for me the mid ovals (Richmond, Iowa, Gateway) at night under the lights is usually a great event. Although I guess now it leaves Indy as the stand alone day oval event.
Old 6 Sep 2019, 11:43 (Ref:3926182)   #4486
CarfanLUFC
Racer

Zimbabwe
A Yorkshire Farm
CarfanLUFC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCarfanLUFC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's a shame Nazareth and PPIR were closed years ago because the IRL events there had great racing.

Personally I wouldn't mind two visits to Texas like the IRL had back in the day, the racing was immense
Old 6 Sep 2019, 12:01 (Ref:3926190)   #4487
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
Where else would they go? We've seen Charlotte and it was BAD, not with the current cars but concerns still the same. The super speedway racing has mostly been poorly received and rated as some of the worst races of the season, as with everything outside of Indy. Texas was more entertaining in qualifying than the race, and has you waiting NASCAR style for the wreck and who's ending up in the fence. Pocono wasn't great and compared to Iowa or Gateway it was terrible. I don't know if the cars, design, or what but something seems to not be compatible with good racing and the high banks. But then for me the mid ovals (Richmond, Iowa, Gateway) at night under the lights is usually a great event. Although I guess now it leaves Indy as the stand alone day oval event.
Michigan?
Old 6 Sep 2019, 13:00 (Ref:3926200)   #4488
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Michigan?
Sadly it seems like both Michigan and Milwaukee have no interest in Indy cars any more. Both are on most teams minds for new tracks but have not responded with a promoter and Indy doesn't spend their own money
Old 6 Sep 2019, 13:46 (Ref:3926212)   #4489
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
Kentucky? New Hampshire?

Also it needs México and Montreal.
Old 6 Sep 2019, 14:10 (Ref:3926218)   #4490
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Kentucky would be possible but it's run Indycars before and it wasn't well received as I recall. Completely new car but possible.
New Hampshire is out, it was a well received race but tapered off. But like Michigan and Milwaukee it's often mentioned in the paddock but no one can make it work. All 3 need a sponsor and promoter like Bommarito to push for the race and fund it.
Old 8 Sep 2019, 22:00 (Ref:3926753)   #4491
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Kentucky did have the problem of a lack of date equity before IndyCar left, just like Fontana and Milwaukee did. Its recent renovation has sped up the track for better NASCAR races but that usually creates parades of Phoenix-like proportions for IndyCar, or the deservedly unwanted pack racing. So I have no idea if that oval near Sparta, KY, is still suitable for these kind of cars.
The same definitely goes for the big oval in Brooklyn, Michigan. And that's why IndyCar better not try it at this point. Montreal indeed ought to be high on IndyCar's "shopping list", as should be helping to find a new title sponsor for the former Iowa Corn Indy.

For an event in the Northeast, I would not rule out Pocono returning on the introductory sanctioning fee again in 2021. Yet, if it doesn't, the only remaining option in that region might be getting into the IMSA weekend at Watkins Glen. But that is unlikely since both the track and IMSA, too, are owned by IndyCar's direct competitor NASCAR. Somehow, I still think Randy Bernard was right in replacing all ISC tracks from the schedule. Jaye Frye tried Phoenix and Watkins Glen again, but neither worked for IndyCar and are gone again. Here's hoping IndyCar's new event at Richmond works out well for both the promoter and the series as a good and safe race with a nice crowd. It is well possible since there has been a change in leadership at NASCAR in the meantime.

I agree that it's odd to only have one superspeedway on the schedule with the Indianapolis 500. But the media echo of this will be different: they will promote the uniqueness of the Indy 500 instead. Over time, that can increase interest in booking another race for IndyCar on a different 2 mile or 2.5 mile superspeedway again.

Until then, why not add some more flat short ovals? Gateway has been excellent and Milwaukee is still missed for all the action in traffic.
Old 9 Sep 2019, 13:21 (Ref:3926903)   #4492
Ground Effect
Rookie

Australia
Martin, WA
Ground Effect should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
With respect to the Indy 500, why doesn't Fernando Alonso just get ROGER PENSKE on the phone? surely Roger would not mind setting up an extra car for him for the 500.

Alonso is clearly the best driver in the world and could certainly give the field a half back and sides with PENSKE equipment.

Cheers
Old 9 Sep 2019, 18:14 (Ref:3926968)   #4493
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ground Effect View Post
With respect to the Indy 500, why doesn't Fernando Alonso just get ROGER PENSKE on the phone? surely Roger would not mind setting up an extra car for him for the 500.

Alonso is clearly the best driver in the world and could certainly give the field a half back and sides with PENSKE equipment.

Cheers
Because simply Penske does not want to run any more cars and he has the power to turn down drivers without impacting his bottom line. He and Cindric have made it clear that they were not interested in 4 full time cars and a fifth for Indy, 3 cars was their limit and offering the part-time ride to Helio is his payout for being "demoted" to the IMSA team. Not having a slot hurt them in the Rossi bidding. Plus Penske NEVER spends his own money and Alsonso would have to bring a fully funded drive, didn't seem like he brought in sponsor money to McLaren's efforts beyond his Kimoa brand.
Old 9 Sep 2019, 18:23 (Ref:3926972)   #4494
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
According to this article in Racer.com, Alonso is concentrating on the 2020 Indy 500, with a return to F1 in 2021.

https://racer.com/2019/09/06/alonso-...eturn-in-2020/
Old 13 Sep 2019, 19:46 (Ref:3927780)   #4495
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Testing of the Aerocsreen has been scheduled for October 2, at IMS.

http://classic.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/145966
Old 19 Sep 2019, 00:24 (Ref:3928763)   #4496
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
More here on testing the Red Bull Advanced Technologies Aeroscreen.

https://racer.com/2019/09/18/indycar...en-test-plans/
Old 19 Sep 2019, 16:01 (Ref:3928912)   #4497
RWill2073
Veteran

RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!
For a northeast race, I'd like to see IndyCar's at lime rock.
Old 19 Sep 2019, 17:08 (Ref:3928923)   #4498
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

Sounds like the teams not selected to test the aeroscreen are not happy about it. Basically giving Penske, Andretti, and Ganassi a leg up on car dynamics with the 50 pound screen on top.
Old 19 Sep 2019, 17:39 (Ref:3928928)   #4499
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Mystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Wow. That looks much more hideous than I'd ever imagined possible. Maybe it just needs painting. Hopefully anyway.
Old 20 Sep 2019, 20:57 (Ref:3929154)   #4500
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Zack Brown says Nico Hulkenberg turned down his offer to race for McLaren in Indycar because he does not want to race at ovals.