Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 9 Nov 2019, 07:14 (Ref:3939374)   #176
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
# 4: heroes of another era heroic meeting! Or: when an ERA meets another ERA, what do you think will happen? ERA on ice!
# 1: who is this driver/ gladiator?

Last edited by Gerard C; 9 Nov 2019 at 07:24.
Old 9 Nov 2019, 07:46 (Ref:3939377)   #177
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
# 4: heroes of another era heroic meeting! Or: when an ERA meets another ERA, what do you think will happen? ERA on ice!
# 1: who is this driver/ gladiator?
Gerry. The vehicle depicted in 1 is an Alta, and the driver is Duncan Ricketts.
Old 9 Nov 2019, 07:52 (Ref:3939378)   #178
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well, well, well! Caught you all napping it seems, one up to Bauble this time.

You dozy lot did not even realise t was a quiz question!

Better go back to 164 and take a closer look, and see how cunning I have been.

Then you may provide Gerry with he answer to his question on the subject.

I thought the 'clue' included would set you thinking.
Old 9 Nov 2019, 08:26 (Ref:3939382)   #179
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Post 164, 1, Widi, 2, Porsche 356, 3, ERA R5B 4, Not an Alfa 158 exhaust is wrong side, not the Alvis Goodwin need more time on that one. 5, Lagonda V12 replica, 6, Talbot Lago.
Old 9 Nov 2019, 08:32 (Ref:3939383)   #180
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Post 174 picture 4 , NickTopliss in ERA R4A leads, ERA R4D Mac Hulbert? is spinning & Maserati 6CM Callum Lockie has the broken suspension.
Old 9 Nov 2019, 08:49 (Ref:3939385)   #181
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbs View Post
Post 164, 1, Widi, 2, Porsche 356, 3, ERA R5B 4, Not an Alfa 158 exhaust is wrong side, not the Alvis Goodwin need more time on that one. 5, Lagonda V12 replica, 6, Talbot Lago.
Very clever RB, but you are missing the point, the ERA is the clue.
It really is very, very simple.
Old 9 Nov 2019, 10:41 (Ref:3939397)   #182
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Bob, is the clue Bob "GERARD" finishing third with his ERA during the '48 British GP?

Thanks for the Widi car, rbs.
Old 9 Nov 2019, 10:52 (Ref:3939399)   #183
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
The 1948 GP at Silverstone was not the Britisg GP but The RAC International GP. Bob Gerard drove R14B there, John Bolster drove the pictured car.
I can not see what Baub wants with this one.
Old 9 Nov 2019, 11:07 (Ref:3939402)   #184
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Thanks for your clarification, rbs. Bob says the clue is the ERA and that the answer is easy to be found…*What is easy in Bob's words if you can't find it?
Old 9 Nov 2019, 11:07 (Ref:3939403)   #185
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
The 1948 GP at Silverstone was not the Britisg GP but The RAC International GP. Bob Gerard drove R14B there, John Bolster drove the pictured car.
I can not see what Baub wants with this one.
Sorry all it seems I have out thought myself.

Final clues;

The colours are the clues, when linked to the country of origin. The ERA carries a Siamese flag on the bonnet, and the word Siam on the tail. The RED car is a Maserati. The yellow car is Belgian, and so on...…. Crikey this is hard work sometimes, like pulling teeth.
Old 9 Nov 2019, 11:19 (Ref:3939407)   #186
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Mon Ami Robert, you remember I do love you, yes? Now you gave the clues can you tell me what the question was, please?
Old 9 Nov 2019, 11:31 (Ref:3939412)   #187
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Mon Ami Robert, you remember I do love you, yes? Now you gave the clues can you tell me what the question was, please?
There is no question Gerry, I respect you enormously, admire your grasp of English, am in awe of your vast knowledge of motor cars, so I anticipate that you will instantly exclaim; "Ah! Le Bleu, est La Belle France, colour."
Old 9 Nov 2019, 11:42 (Ref:3939414)   #188
bauble
Veteran

England
In order to restore sanity to the thread I guarantee that the accompanying pictures are nothing but a random selection from the archives. There is no hidden agenda, no questions to be answered, no reason to wrack ones brain in search of clues. Just (hopefully enjoy) the snaps.
Attached Thumbnails
_MG_0010.JPG   IMG_0509.JPG   IMG_0692.JPG  

JR10.JPG   JR16.JPG   JR12.JPG  

Old 9 Nov 2019, 11:44 (Ref:3939415)   #189
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
No worry, we all agree your quizz is fantastic, we do appreciate and realize its quite a tough job. So, for this at least, thanks again.
You mention "bleu de France" did you notice that the color used on those cars differs a lot from the one used on our nat flag? This is not a question, 'f course, but still I wonder why. I remember one my my late Dad's Gordini was painted with this light blue though. I quite remember he entered a "concours d'élégance" with one, place was La Baule! Funny days!
Old 9 Nov 2019, 11:54 (Ref:3939418)   #190
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Pic # 1 makes me thing about the batch of gladiators landing at Montlhéry for the Lalique Trophy, organisator was the Jacques Potherb. Quite a generous man. I've been amazed by the performances of your three wheeler, probably alcohol fed Jap engines Morgans, literally outperforming all the Bugattis in the wet. What a show they gave us!
Old 9 Nov 2019, 13:14 (Ref:3939429)   #191
bauble
Veteran

England
Gerard, my mail box was full, please re-send.

El Toro.
Old 9 Nov 2019, 13:21 (Ref:3939432)   #192
bauble
Veteran

England
Post 164

The Widi is painted yellow as that is the Belgium International racing colour, the Porsche is white, Germany's IRC, The Bentley is green, the UK's IRC, the Maserati is red, Italy's IRC, the Talbot Bleu the French IRC, and the ex-Bira ERA is in the IRC of Siam.

Sorry being old I remember such things, no doubt you all have a different idea of what colour cars are supposed to be. Watching too much F1 can do that.
Old 9 Nov 2019, 14:14 (Ref:3939442)   #193
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
I have always wanted to know why Bira's cars always had Siam on them, The 1st ERA was built 2 years after Siam changed it's name to Thailand. Was Bira just a "tradionalist" and did not like the new name. Can you remember Baub?
Old 9 Nov 2019, 15:00 (Ref:3939447)   #194
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
I have always wanted to know why Bira's cars always had Siam on them, The 1st ERA was built 2 years after Siam changed it's name to Thailand. Was Bira just a "tradionalist" and did not like the new name. Can you remember Baub?
Bira was royalty, and probably a traditionalist, he was always know as Prince Bira a shortened version of Birabongse or some such spelling, easily found on the internet no doubt.
Whether he was unwelcome in 'Siam' or just preferred a European life style I don't know. He was always accompanied by his cousin Charkabongse, who manged his racing life.

I read all the books on him 60 odd years and have forgotten most of what I read. I think one was called Blue and Yellow. His ERA's were named after Roman mythology. Romulus, Remus, and Hanuman.

I really thought that you would spot the colour combination right away, hence chucking in the ERA.
Old 9 Nov 2019, 15:04 (Ref:3939449)   #195
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
His ERA's were named after Roman mythology. Romulus, Remus, and Hanuman.

Hanuman is the Indian Monkey God, not Roman.
Old 9 Nov 2019, 15:08 (Ref:3939450)   #196
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
His ERA's were named after Roman mythology. Romulus, Remus, and Hanuman.

Hanuman is the Indian Monkey God, not Roman.
Yes I told you it was a long time ago.
Old 9 Nov 2019, 15:40 (Ref:3939455)   #197
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
One monkey, two Brits and now Thailand instead of Pakistan and you want us to guess what happens on this part of the forum? Let me tell you in French: c'est le bordel!
Old 10 Nov 2019, 14:26 (Ref:3939710)   #198
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
One monkey, two Brits and now Thailand instead of Pakistan and you want us to guess what happens on this part of the forum? Let me tell you in French: c'est le bordel!
Dont worry Gerry... I got lost pages ago! Lovin' the pics though Bob, even if im not confident enough to name many. (Im too young!)
Not sure how many times I have seen the answers and said to myself 'of course it is'. I recognise many of the driver's names when I read the answers. But great fun, admiration at the knowledge displayed by others, and much appreciated Bob.
Old 10 Nov 2019, 17:16 (Ref:3939738)   #199
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
It's a battle of l'boys, ya no! I hope he's preparing something but even if he doesn't what a success for this thread! Cheers with aus wine:
Old 10 Nov 2019, 21:30 (Ref:3939795)   #200
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
It's a battle of l'boys, ya no! I hope he's preparing something but even if he doesn't what a success for this thread! Cheers with aus wine:
Busy on something different ..

Plenty more pictures to bore everyone with.