Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 14 Nov 2019, 18:42 (Ref:3940614)   #76
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
A lot to do with what the car is eligible for, Will. How many race series / flagship events can you do with a 1999 STCC?

And spares for a Cob / Griff / E Type are plentiful as new ones are being built. Where would you go for Renault STCC spares?
Old 14 Nov 2019, 19:15 (Ref:3940621)   #77
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Was aware of a couple of those answers, just if any others so cheers.

There is a lot of club series it could run in and a couple of Super Tourers have done so.

Christ knows on the last one.
Old 15 Nov 2019, 08:28 (Ref:3940690)   #78
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
I've built a few 1400 Gordini engines, its impossible finding parts for those . . . . there must be a chateau deep in France somewhere with all the Renault bits hidden away!
Old 15 Nov 2019, 13:58 (Ref:3940750)   #79
Duddha
Racer

United Nations
Geneva, Switzerland
Duddha should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDuddha should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDuddha should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Interesting discussion but consider a few things when it comes to TVR or the odd choice in historic racing.

- Selection of the cars, some grids apply criteria which are not as clear as the writting there is in their regulations and which can result in one car being allowed while yours will not, specially when it comes to the TVR and some organisers. You don't want the plastic silly thing to disrupt the establishment.

- Others will run specific minimum weight, wheel sizes, etc. which will in fact neglect the advantage you may have through proper period specification and which may cause troubles in terms of pads over the distance or tyres as well.

And to be honest, remember the history and books. Nobody could beat a Cobra by the end of 1965, they were long established as the best, be it the roadster or coupe. GM had stopped its effort with the Gran Sport which is a prototype anyway, they were not interested, just like an E-Type never one any major International Competition in its days. Ferrari only did well with the GTO until the American landed in Europe.
Old 24 Nov 2019, 08:43 (Ref:3942502)   #80
drbob
Racer

drbob should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does anyone know anything about this car or seen it in action
Maybe a PM
http://www.albionmotorcars.com/forsa...00-gt-fia-1961
Old 24 Nov 2019, 11:26 (Ref:3942525)   #81
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by drbob View Post
Does anyone know anything about this car or seen it in action
Maybe a PM
http://www.albionmotorcars.com/forsa...00-gt-fia-1961
Beautiful.... and love the look of the engine!
But I know nothing of it historically.

Is this the same car, sold at auction in 2012 at Silverstone? (for a lot less than the current asking price)
https://www.silverstoneauctions.com/...500gt-race-car
Old 24 Nov 2019, 12:16 (Ref:3942541)   #82
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
A lot to do with what the car is eligible for, Will. How many race series / flagship events can you do with a 1999 STCC?

And spares for a Cob / Griff / E Type are plentiful as new ones are being built. Where would you go for Renault STCC spares?

Could perhaps get the Dacia Logan version of the Renault. Presumably cheaper ...?
Old 24 Nov 2019, 12:24 (Ref:3942544)   #83
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
Beautiful.... and love the look of the engine!
But I know nothing of it historically.

Is this the same car, sold at auction in 2012 at Silverstone? (for a lot less than the current asking price)
https://www.silverstoneauctions.com/...500gt-race-car

Based on the write up it has to be the same car. Couldn't possibly be two of them could there?

(Although these days who knows ...)
Old 24 Nov 2019, 13:51 (Ref:3942557)   #84
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nice car and something different.

I think it must be the same car - even the written descriptions are very similar.

Typical classic car dealer trick of advertising in a glossy magazine and quadrupling the price! Oh, I beg your pardon, it's got 2018 seat, tanks, HTP etc. - that must be why the price has spiraled.
Old 25 Nov 2019, 11:17 (Ref:3942715)   #85
apriliadriver
Racer

United Kingdom
Ruislip, Middx
apriliadriver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was keen to see this car race, and how the Weber45 set-up worked on his engine... but it only appeared once, at Oulton Gold Cup meeting as I recall, practised but did not race. In my opinion, Silverstone Auction's £37,400 was all the money for a nearly undeveloped car.
Old 25 Nov 2019, 12:03 (Ref:3942728)   #86
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by apriliadriver View Post
I was keen to see this car race, and how the Weber45 set-up worked on his engine... but it only appeared once, at Oulton Gold Cup meeting as I recall, practised but did not race. In my opinion, Silverstone Auction's £37,400 was all the money for a nearly undeveloped car.
Yes, the current advertised price is daft in my opinion! But, who knows......
Old 25 Nov 2019, 14:11 (Ref:3942740)   #87
GCCheddaris
Veteran

England
Weymouth
GCCheddaris should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One car not mentioned yet which appeared in this years RAC TT Celebration at Goodwood , although it may not be welcome in many other places , is the Tojeiro EE . Possibly rarer than the Elva , the Buick engined car ran with the leaders while it lasted . I have seen it mentioned elsewhere that cars competing in the TT are required to be FIA compliant . Was that the case with the Tojeiros ?
Old 25 Nov 2019, 14:22 (Ref:3942743)   #88
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
The EE from what I’ve learned is one of two originally built, and apparently had HTP papers when last sold. I’m guessing it will be categorised as a GTP car, rather than GTS, which will put it in the same class as GT40s etc?
Old 25 Nov 2019, 14:50 (Ref:3942752)   #89
GCCheddaris
Veteran

England
Weymouth
The Tojeiro competed at this year's Silverstone Classic in the RAC TT Pre '63 GT race albeit in the Invitation class .
Old 25 Nov 2019, 14:51 (Ref:3942753)   #90
Duddha
Racer

United Nations
Geneva, Switzerland
Duddha should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDuddha should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDuddha should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
The EE from what I’ve learned is one of two originally built, and apparently had HTP papers when last sold. I’m guessing it will be categorised as a GTP car, rather than GTS, which will put it in the same class as GT40s etc?
In fact it's a Two-Seater Racing Car as it is, a prototype sportscar basically as GTPs have to be based on a car in the process of Homologation by a Manufacturer and of course this does not meet period Appendix J production and/or Homologation criteria.

The fact that a car takes part in the RAC TT Celebration and its FIA compliance is open to interpretation I would say but just like series which let the cars run according to what they want to look at...
Old 25 Nov 2019, 15:13 (Ref:3942758)   #91
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Thanks again for the clarification! Don’t think it would get into Peter Auto 60s Endurance, then.....
Old 25 Nov 2019, 15:27 (Ref:3942764)   #92
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Tojerio Buick is owned by a really nice bloke who will get into Goodwood without a problem!
It needs lots of sorting
Sure it would be allowed into Spa 6 hr.
It’s as much who you know!!
Now that’s a surprise.
Last time around he had a couple of really historic ex Le MSN’s cars turned down for LMC
Can’t see it happening this time.
Old 25 Nov 2019, 16:34 (Ref:3942778)   #93
GCCheddaris
Veteran

England
Weymouth
Isn't his sister a leading dressage rider ? I suppose regarding the RAC TT at Goodwood the same situation applies to the Ferrari 250 LMs which have competed in the past .
Old 25 Nov 2019, 22:38 (Ref:3942832)   #94
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
She’s not bad having won an Olympic gold in London 2012.
Old 25 Nov 2019, 23:26 (Ref:3942839)   #95
GCCheddaris
Veteran

England
Weymouth
I couldn't remember if she had won the medal at London or Rio . Laura won a Team Gold and an Individual Bronze behind her compatriot Charlotte Dujardin . Since married and now known as Laura Tomlinson .
Old 26 Nov 2019, 10:08 (Ref:3942895)   #96
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Presumably her ride had a valid HTP
Old 26 Nov 2019, 12:09 (Ref:3942927)   #97
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

She’s producing kids now and may make a return for Tokyo so Zi am told.
Their father has a car collection including one of the five 2 litre Alta Pre War Sports
Old 29 Nov 2019, 21:21 (Ref:3943757)   #98
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I know Bob has gone for a TVR if I'm correct but just seen DK Engineering have got a full E Type Semi Lightweight for 175,000. Quite cheap in context with other cars
Old 30 Nov 2019, 04:02 (Ref:3943793)   #99
drbob
Racer

drbob should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks Will
I have looked at the car.
It is tempting but I am trying to get away fro E types and Cobras

Im not sold on the TVR. You either have to build a new wide body one with new body, chassis and components with no chassis number, or do the same to a genuine car and build a wide body car to get an FIA HTP

It goes against the grain but I am thinking about a Shelby
Mustang 350R

i
Old 30 Nov 2019, 12:54 (Ref:3943841)   #100
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Good choice, lucky you!
Do you intend to build a new one with no matching numbers or refurbish a genuine one? Have a nice weekend!