Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 1 Dec 2019, 22:07 (Ref:3944130)   #1501
Petoli
Racer

United Kingdom
Petoli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickles View Post
As has been said there now isn't a suitable engine available, unless they use the 2.0t that was used in the Insignia GSi. Vauxhall aren't part of Fiat Chrysler so couldn't use any of their engines.
Does the engine have to be available on the UK Market? Although they no longer Vauxhall The Astra/Insignia still uses an engine designed when it was owned by General Motors if GM have a 2.0 Litre version of that engine in the US could they use it? They would be using an engine from the same family. Or would that not be allowed because Vauxhall are now owned by PSA they would have to use an 2.0 litre engine from PSA. although does Peugeot/Citreon have 2.0 litre engine?

Although most normal family have started to move away from larger engines, i wonder if at some point in the future the NGTC engines will be 1.4 or something
Old 1 Dec 2019, 22:30 (Ref:3944136)   #1502
Pickles
Veteran

Pickles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPickles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
That 2 litre does not exist anymore other than in second hand motor cars and no doubt there will be a few complete assemblies in a warehouse somewhere for warranty claims.

Anything in the rules to stop a team fitting a smaller capacity motor?
From the technical regs:

'350+bhp 2-litre turbo-charged direct-injection engine with ‘fly by wire’ throttle control
Low cost to develop, build, buy and maintain – either by teams and/or race engine-builders developing their own, or through lease/purchase of the 2017 revised specification TOCA-BTCC Swindon prepared engine
Engine can be sourced from a manufacturer’s broad ‘family’ range, including subsidiary marques under their effective control
Common Owen Developments turbo charger and PWR intercooler to be used by all cars'

So no, has to be a 2 litre.
Old 2 Dec 2019, 06:04 (Ref:3944160)   #1503
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petoli View Post
Does the engine have to be available on the UK Market?
Homologation regs state:

 The engine has a production minima of 2,500 from the manufacturers family of marques.
 The family being freely on sale in the UK through the manufacturers normal dealer network.
Old 2 Dec 2019, 08:11 (Ref:3944174)   #1504
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There seems to be a huge discussion about PMR doing their own motor. All on the basis of a throw away line from Plato. Has anyone considered the cost involved?! All that effort and then if it is good it will be BOP'd At least with the
TOCA motor there is no chance of being pegged back. Maybe they are working on better insulation? Wet there Mercedes rumours a year ago that also made no sense
Old 2 Dec 2019, 08:36 (Ref:3944176)   #1505
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Given BOP is a thing I see very little sense in spending a sack of cash on an engine. Blow the competition away and your boost is turned down.

Although Welch (wrongly in my opinion) reckoned the TOCA units were so expensive it made sense to develop their own. Which all went rather badly...
Old 2 Dec 2019, 09:01 (Ref:3944179)   #1506
Pickles
Veteran

Pickles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPickles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think we all know that PMR probably won't be developing their own engine, the discussion was more about what base engines are available etc. Plato has only done what he always does, chuck an idea out there which people then start talking about.
Old 2 Dec 2019, 09:11 (Ref:3944184)   #1507
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
I think at some point TOCA will need to revisit this 2.0L engine requirement. I'd say that the majority of new petrol engined cars are of a smaller capacity (1.2 - 1.8L).
Old 2 Dec 2019, 09:23 (Ref:3944189)   #1508
thlbtcc
Veteran

thlbtcc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
There seems to be a huge discussion about PMR doing their own motor. All on the basis of a throw away line from Plato. Has anyone considered the cost involved?! All that effort and then if it is good it will be BOP'd At least with the
TOCA motor there is no chance of being pegged back. Maybe they are working on better insulation? Wet there Mercedes rumours a year ago that also made no sense
This is a good point. It's probably Plato just angling towards a boost for the TOCA engine vs. others.
Old 2 Dec 2019, 10:24 (Ref:3944203)   #1509
RS67
Veteran

RS67 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
I think at some point TOCA will need to revisit this 2.0L engine requirement. I'd say that the majority of new petrol engined cars are of a smaller capacity (1.2 - 1.8L).
The 2.0 capacity was originally chosen over the FIA's decision to use 1.6 because it is a lot less expensive to get 350-380bhp from 2.0 than 1.6 and the engine should still remain reliable and as such last a season. To reduce capacity would require permanent use of the hybrid system that we have coming in the future. Toca would need to give teams several years notice of such plans of a reduction in engine size. As the idea of NGTC was to keep costs down, I think there is more likely a chance of engine regs being relaxed slightly allowing for engine capacity to be altered to achieve a 2.0 capacity, just as they did with Super Touring engines.
Old 2 Dec 2019, 10:40 (Ref:3944205)   #1510
antnee
Veteran

antnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridantnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by antnee View Post
Most manufacturers do have 2.0T's in serial production - off the top of my head, Toyota, BMW/Mini, VAG, Mercedes, Honda, Ford, Renault, Kia/Hyundai, Jaguar - only real notable exceptions are Vauxhall/PSA (which puts a downer on JP's wish for PMR to build their own engines )
From earlier in this topic - most manufacturers do still have a 2.0. I think within a few years it will become a problem though.

Isn't the TOCA engine based on an old Vauxhall unit anyway?
Old 2 Dec 2019, 10:52 (Ref:3944209)   #1511
Johno.UK
Racer

Johno.UK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.btcc.net/2019/12/02/toca-...nship-entries/

So Sutton racing under a BMR tbl as people suspected. Also an extra one (from the sale of the old Moffat Mercedes package) for BTC.
Old 2 Dec 2019, 10:53 (Ref:3944211)   #1512
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RS67 View Post
The 2.0 capacity was originally chosen over the FIA's decision to use 1.6 because it is a lot less expensive to get 350-380bhp from 2.0 than 1.6 and the engine should still remain reliable and as such last a season. To reduce capacity would require permanent use of the hybrid system that we have coming in the future. Toca would need to give teams several years notice of such plans of a reduction in engine size. As the idea of NGTC was to keep costs down, I think there is more likely a chance of engine regs being relaxed slightly allowing for engine capacity to be altered to achieve a 2.0 capacity, just as they did with Super Touring engines.
I understand and agree with everything you said, however the TCR regs state a 1.6 engine and they produce 350+ BHP. How reliable are they and what are the comparable costs? It seems like they do endurance races fine and can be run on a "relatively small" budget from what I gather.
Old 2 Dec 2019, 11:01 (Ref:3944214)   #1513
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johno.UK View Post

So Sutton racing under a BMR tbl as people suspected. Also an extra one (from the sale of the old Moffat Mercedes package) for BTC.
Looks like 3 BTC Hondas (Cook, Smiley, Chilton?) is the only change. Motorbase still with 3, despite losing a title sponsor, and Simpson still there.

Is this a definite entry list?
Old 2 Dec 2019, 11:04 (Ref:3944215)   #1514
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evantra View Post
Looks like 3 BTC Hondas (Cook, Smiley, Chilton?) is the only change. Motorbase still with 3, despite losing a title sponsor, and Simpson still there.

yes. they cant change now.
Old 2 Dec 2019, 11:04 (Ref:3944216)   #1515
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
TeamCarDriverNotes

Confirmed Entries   
Excelr8Hyundai i30Smith ?Confirmed in press release - want to retain driver lineup
Excelr8Hyundai i30Osborne ?Confirmed in press release - want to retain driver lineup
Team DynamicsHonda CivicCammish2yr contract confirmed in press release
Team DynamicsHonda CivicNealConfirmed as driver pairing in press release
WSRBMW 330iOliphantReported as continuing next year with the team
WSRBMW 330i???On TBL Entry List
WSRBMW 330i???On TBL Entry List
Power MaxedVauxhall ?PlatoTalked about engine / chassis developments for 2020 in interview
Power MaxedVauxhall ????On TBL Entry List
SpeedworksToyota CorollaIngramConfirmed Ginsters backing for 2020 in article
Laser Tools (Aiden Moffat Racing)Infiniti Q50MoffatConfirmed in press release
Laser Tools (Team BMR)Infiniti Q50SuttonConfirmed in press release
Ciceley MotorsportMB A-Class ?RowbottomConfirmed entry in Facebook post
Ciceley MotorsportMB A-Class ?MorganBrands Hatch summary confirms 2020 return
HARDVW CCGoffOn BTCC.net (and others)
HARDVW CCBushellOn BTCC.net (and others)
HARDVW CC???On TBL Entry List
HARDVW CC???On TBL Entry List
AmD (Cobra)Honda CivicNot 2019 driver(s)Confirmed in social media post
AmD (Cobra)Honda CivicNot 2019 driver(s)Confirmed in social media post
AmD (Trade Price)??????On TBL Entry List
AmD (Trade Price)??????On TBL Entry List
BTC RacingHonda CivicSmiley?Social media post said returning, with picture of cars and drivers
BTC RacingHonda CivicCook?Social media post said returning, with picture of cars and drivers
BTC RacingHonda Civic???On TBL Entry List
MotorbaseFord Focus???On TBL Entry List
Simpson RacingHonda Civic?Simpson?On TBL Entry List - Rumoured to have vocalised a withdrawal
Team ParkerBMW ????On TBL Entry List

Likely Entries   

Possible Entries   
???Jag ?CreesRumoured by Crees in a Facebook interview
WSR?BMW 330i?JordanLost Pirtek sponsorship, says he wants to stay in the BTCC, but only with WSR
Not Motorbase???ChiltonHas been critical of the Focus in the press
??????EdwardsHas stated that she no longer drives in Clio Cup. Website is worded to suggest she is on the grid for 2020
HARDVW CCThompson?Claims to have exciting 2020 news on social media soon
HARDVW CCCoates?Gilham #tagging?
HARDVW CCCrees?tags HARD on social media

Entries with doubt   
??????SheddenSpeculation about wanting a return
??????M.JacksonLinked to half of the teams on the grid
??????BlundellStated that he is undecided about a 2020 return
???Subaru Levorg???Car not viable as NGTC entry
???Subaru Levorg???Car not viable as NGTC entry
???MB A-Class???Car on sale from Laser Tools
???MG6???Excelr8 switched to Hyundai
???MG6???Excelr8 switched to Hyundai

Old 2 Dec 2019, 11:04 (Ref:3944217)   #1516
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johno.UK View Post

So the only net changes then being a BMR one to BTC and Motorbase acquiring the loaned HMS one.

Now I'm pretty confident Smiley and Cook will both return for BTC... wonder who the third driver will be? No doubt it'll be a total change of everything!!!
Old 2 Dec 2019, 11:05 (Ref:3944218)   #1517
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
About as definite as being listed on the official website, with the wording in bold of: 'Confirmed entries for the 2020 Kwik Fit British Touring Car Championship' can be.
Old 2 Dec 2019, 11:07 (Ref:3944219)   #1518
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
TeamCarDriverNotes

Words Marked   
??????Jordantouring fan01
??????Chiltontouring fan01, Alfisti
??????FilesTR4racer
???Honda CivicBoardleyPickles
Not HARDNot Honda CivicBoardleyPickles
Simpson TBLHonda CivicNot SimpsonPickles
???BMW 330iCollardAlfisti
BTCHonda CivicChiltonbilly bleach
Trade PriceAudi S3 x2???Overboost
BTC???ChiltonOverboost
BTC???CookOverboost
PMR???SmileyPickles
Motorbase???ButcherPickles
HARD???Boardleysceptic
HARD???Creessceptic
??????SheddenPickles
Trade Price?Audi S3 x2???RS67

True Words Spoken   
??????Suttontouring fan01
AmDHonda Civic x2New DriversOverboost
Motorbase3rd Car???Jiiiiiiim

False Words Spoken   
PMR3rd Car???Pickles

Old 2 Dec 2019, 11:09 (Ref:3944220)   #1519
Pickles
Veteran

Yay, my first 'False words spoken' mark
Old 2 Dec 2019, 11:09 (Ref:3944221)   #1520
mprmke
Racer

mprmke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Plato wants PMR to develop their own engine and is currently working on obtaining the additional backing required to help make it happen. Lot of work to do in a short space of time though, so I'd rate the chances currently at less than 50%, but it's something they're trying to achieve.
Old 2 Dec 2019, 11:12 (Ref:3944222)   #1521
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by touring fan01 View Post
yes. they cant change now.
Thank you, thought so

Disappointed with just the one Toyota...
Old 2 Dec 2019, 11:18 (Ref:3944224)   #1522
Pickles
Veteran

Interesting to see Ash still using BMRs TBL, so can him and Aiden still score points as a team if the licences are held by separate parties?
Old 2 Dec 2019, 11:19 (Ref:3944225)   #1523
thlbtcc
Veteran

thlbtcc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Simpson still there.
But with which driver?
Old 2 Dec 2019, 11:32 (Ref:3944229)   #1524
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickles View Post
Yay, my first 'False words spoken' mark
Are you confirming that you have more to come?

Seriously - it's not intended to be a criticism of the information provided here, more to give an indication of how reliable sources are. I know some here in the past have been critical of individuals posting information from sources that they are not at liberty to reveal.

It's a balance between information gleaned being useful to further discussion, alongside wild speculation that is not founded on anything solid.
Hopefully some of the other words will turn out to be true and the PMR 3rd car was a blip......
Old 2 Dec 2019, 11:35 (Ref:3944230)   #1525
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
So the only net changes then being a BMR one to BTC and Motorbase acquiring the loaned HMS one.
In essence - isn't that exactly what the TBL system is designed to achieve?

Consistent, reliable entries that mean:
Spectators can know what/who to expect on the grid.
Circuits have a reliable entry that they can sell tickets based on.
The credibility of the series is raised in he media.
Sponsors can have a degree of confidence about the exposure.