Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 15 Dec 2019, 11:25 (Ref:3946817)   #751
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post

F1 has an issue in that Kyalami is a Grade 2 and cannot be used for F1 currently.
Good
Old 15 Dec 2019, 12:13 (Ref:3946826)   #752
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike E View Post
Good
Old 15 Dec 2019, 13:58 (Ref:3946838)   #753
helgi
Veteran

Russian Federation
Sergiev Posad, Moscow Region, Russian Fe
helgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridhelgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridhelgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
I thought it was decided on the results and not the performance?

So, no logics in that "balance" after all. If it would take into account the real speed, not just positions, it would have had a tiny excuse.

What's next? Remote control of technical failures for #7 and #8? If they are going to slow them down again, Conway and Co will run without cars at all.
Old 15 Dec 2019, 14:16 (Ref:3946846)   #754
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
They made a lot of effort to ensure I couldn't watch the race, and succeeded.

I saw the entire 3'04" highlights of the race on motorsport.tv
Maybe I should call myself lucky that I was forbidden to watch it and used my time doing something useful instead.

?
You take out the leader and get no penalty? Impressive, that in typical FIA/ACO style...
Old 15 Dec 2019, 14:25 (Ref:3946848)   #755
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by helgi View Post
So, no logics in that "balance" after all. If it would take into account the real speed, not just positions, it would have had a tiny excuse.

What's next? Remote control of technical failures for #7 and #8? If they are going to slow them down again, Conway and Co will run without cars at all.
Perhaps ACO will make them run the next races with same worn tires they used at Le Mans

Or they will force Toyota to swap TS050 for spec Oreca 07 and slap Hybrid-stickers to the car

How about joker laps and reference lap times? So much fun stuff Creventic could teach us
Old 15 Dec 2019, 16:39 (Ref:3946862)   #756
truebeliever
Racer

truebeliever should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridtruebeliever should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike E View Post
Good
That will change in a heartbeat if there are the funds for an F1 race at Kyalami.

Simple, they will just reclassify the circuit as a Class 1
Old 15 Dec 2019, 18:34 (Ref:3946879)   #757
seanyb505
Veteran

United States
Simpsonville, SC
seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gert View Post
?
You take out the leader and get no penalty? Impressive, that in typical FIA/ACO style...
The only way ginetta would have received a penalty was if they won the race, so that the win could be taken away after the podium ceremony.
Old 16 Dec 2019, 00:39 (Ref:3946913)   #758
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Both Toyota's will be at maximum success penalties. I don't know what that is but they'll still find a way to win, and, the others find ways to lose.
Old 16 Dec 2019, 13:04 (Ref:3946966)   #759
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Both Toyota's will be at maximum success penalties. I don't know what that is but they'll still find a way to win, and, the others find ways to lose.
Yes that is true....you know I was going to say something else. But WEC is so uninteresting this year. And that includes my previously beloved GTE Pro class. Won't bother typing anything else.
Old 16 Dec 2019, 14:58 (Ref:3946982)   #760
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Actually GTE-Pro is pretty interesting even though the field is pretty small right now. Porsche seem dominant but it was like IMSA where they benefited from having a fast car and (until Bahrain) also catching all the breaks. AMR now lead the driver's championship and are up there in the manufacturer's championship. A total 180 from last season where they only preformed well or got good results from rain impacted races. They now have speed and consistency in all conditions.

Also shows what impact AMR's late decision last year before the start of the season to switch from Dunlop (now Goodyear) to Michelin made, as they struggled to understand the new Michelin rubber. Now they fully understand it just as well as Porsche and Ferrari.
Old 16 Dec 2019, 17:15 (Ref:3947000)   #761
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
And I doubt we'll see a new CR-8 joining the GTE party for Sebring as the car is so new. Hope I'll be wrong though!
Old 16 Dec 2019, 23:43 (Ref:3947056)   #762
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
That would be awesome, but I too doubt it. I'm glad Aston is doing well. There were some doubts about it's car last year, but seems they've got on top of it and I'm sure Michelin is one of the big reasons for the turnaround.
Old 17 Dec 2019, 00:22 (Ref:3947061)   #763
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
We do have to remember that AMR made the switch back to Michelin very late in the run up to the 2018 season after testing on both Dunlop and Michelin back to back, and got little testing before the start of the season to fully optimize the car for the new Michelin tires for '18/19. Or at least that's what it seemed and felt like to me from the outside looking in.

Also probably explains in part their struggles at LM in '18 (had speed in the corners and in braking, and was gentle on tires, but had a lot of drag down the straights) and '19 (had single lap pace and good top speed, but couldn't keep the tires fully under them during a long run).
Old 19 Dec 2019, 19:02 (Ref:3947608)   #764
kobefly
Veteran

Argentina
Germany
kobefly has a real shot at the podium!kobefly has a real shot at the podium!kobefly has a real shot at the podium!kobefly has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Are you sure? They might do what they did for Bahrain and establish a reference car that will make them run with different level of penalties again (which is so ridiculous for two equal cars).
Old 20 Dec 2019, 03:21 (Ref:3947658)   #765
TF110
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobefly View Post
Are you sure? They might do what they did for Bahrain and establish a reference car that will make them run with different level of penalties again (which is so ridiculous for two equal cars).
I'm thinking they should because both are at the same amount of wins. But I'm not sure exactly. Seems more complicated than it should be.
Old 20 Dec 2019, 10:16 (Ref:3947686)   #766
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
There's only 3 races left for Ginetta to win a race... Because obviously they're not gonna win LM, and next year, the final year of eligibility, they shall receive politically unfavorable bop against the hyperwagons if they are to continue in the first place. So time is running out

Maybe they could enter Thunderhill 25 Hours or something in the future though. I wish they would, that is proper old school racing and not entertainment focused

Last edited by Deleted; 20 Dec 2019 at 10:22.
Old 20 Dec 2019, 11:16 (Ref:3947695)   #767
kobefly
Veteran

Argentina
Germany
kobefly has a real shot at the podium!kobefly has a real shot at the podium!kobefly has a real shot at the podium!kobefly has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
I'm thinking they should because both are at the same amount of wins. But I'm not sure exactly. Seems more complicated than it should be.
I do not think they will be having the same "penalty" will apply to both cars in Austin.

This is how they calculated it for Bahrain.

"That is despite both Japanese cars lying more than 40 points ahead of the last-placed car in the championship classification.
The explanation of the new system introduced for the LMP1 class this season issued in August states that "the maximum performance reduction applied may not be greater than the equivalent of 40 points".
But it is understood that when the gap to the lowest points scorer is more than that amount the handicaps are calculated from a 'virtual' last-placed car lying 40 points behind the championship leader.
The three-point gap between #8 and #7 would explain the 0.21s differential in the handicaps between the two Toyotas based on this criterion."

There is now an eight-point gap between #7 and #8. I expect to see #7 having a difference against almost 3 times worst than the #8 had in Bahrain. Which means, there will be no fight between both Toyotas.
Old 20 Dec 2019, 15:01 (Ref:3947739)   #768
seanyb505
Veteran

United States
Simpsonville, SC
seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!
Corvette entering COTA: http://www.dailysportscar.com/2019/1...cota-race.html

Good to see GM going out of it's way to enter a WEC race when there's no IMSA race sharing the weekend. Hopefully bodes well for a Sebring 1000 entry as well.
Old 20 Dec 2019, 15:37 (Ref:3947745)   #769
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
We do have to remember that Doug Fehan admitted last year that last season's WEC outings came as a result partly of pressure from the ACO for being automatically granted two entries for LM and for BOP purposes for LM. Same deal probably applies here.
Old 20 Dec 2019, 17:38 (Ref:3947763)   #770
Deleted
Veteran

Pressure? Blackmail is the proper word, especially when directed towards factory team that's the only OEM to have supported the event for 20 years straight
Old 20 Dec 2019, 18:12 (Ref:3947768)   #771
TF110
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobefly View Post
I do not think they will be having the same "penalty" will apply to both cars in Austin.

This is how they calculated it for Bahrain.

"That is despite both Japanese cars lying more than 40 points ahead of the last-placed car in the championship classification.
The explanation of the new system introduced for the LMP1 class this season issued in August states that "the maximum performance reduction applied may not be greater than the equivalent of 40 points".
But it is understood that when the gap to the lowest points scorer is more than that amount the handicaps are calculated from a 'virtual' last-placed car lying 40 points behind the championship leader.
The three-point gap between #8 and #7 would explain the 0.21s differential in the handicaps between the two Toyotas based on this criterion."

There is now an eight-point gap between #7 and #8. I expect to see #7 having a difference against almost 3 times worst than the #8 had in Bahrain. Which means, there will be no fight between both Toyotas.
I forgot about that. So they can further hinder the Toyotas even if they aren't walking away from the competition in terms of points. Seems like there's no stop to the tinkering of them. I guess the gap will be about half a second or 6 thenths between the two.
Old 20 Dec 2019, 21:14 (Ref:3947792)   #772
seanyb505
Veteran

United States
Simpsonville, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
Pressure? Blackmail is the proper word, especially when directed towards factory team that's the only OEM to have supported the event for 20 years straight
Blackmail?

"Listen if you don't enter the cota race, we're going to tell everyone about when you kissed your sister that one time."
Old 21 Dec 2019, 09:26 (Ref:3947861)   #773
Deleted
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanyb505 View Post
Blackmail?

"Listen if you don't enter the cota race, we're going to tell everyone about when you kissed your sister that one time."
They could've easily let one of the Corvettes to rot in the reserve list in favor of spec Oreca 07 or GTE-AM AF Corse satellite team. That would've "shown em"
Old 22 Dec 2019, 07:55 (Ref:3947996)   #774
TF110
Veteran

United States
I don't know, I think Corvette has more pull than what we assume.
Old 22 Dec 2019, 09:53 (Ref:3948006)   #775
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
WEC 2019/20 season

I see the WEC race for them as a chance to get more mileage with the new car before the biggest race of the year. There’s probably some pressure from ACO but at the end of the day Le Mans needs the Corvettes more than the Corvettes need Le Mans...I get the feeling that the team would love to do WEC but their hands are tied as it’s not their decision to make. I think even the ACO could understand that. And if you look at how poorly GM are doing outside of America then from a marketing perspective it makes sense to stick with IMSA.

Last edited by rich07; 22 Dec 2019 at 09:59.