Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 10 Jan 2020, 17:03 (Ref:3950878)   #2201
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
saw this pic on reddit the other day.

https://www.reddit.com/r/formula1/co...ion_estimated/

i thought Vietnam was supposed to be a street curcuit but this looks purpose built no? street roads being converted to a proper permanent race track? more likely i was just got it wrong that it was supposed to be a street circuit?
Just from a quick look at that image, it looks like its very much a combination of permanent facilities overlaid and merged with existing infrastructure. And given the quantity of constructions, they could be refactoring some of the existing infrastructure to support both street and race. Very much dual purpose vs. squeezing race into an existing street layout for one weekend a year?

Richard
Old 10 Jan 2020, 18:34 (Ref:3950900)   #2202
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
It’s the not the first circuit too either. Remember the huge run offs at the Valencia street circuit?
Old 10 Jan 2020, 19:35 (Ref:3950909)   #2203
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Valencia and Sochi certainly. Also, the area around the pits at Singapore is purpose-built. They've also managed to do quite a bit around Baku, even if it is decidedly a truer out-and-out street circuit than those first two.
Old 11 Jan 2020, 01:55 (Ref:3950959)   #2204
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
saw this pic on reddit the other day.

https://www.reddit.com/r/formula1/co...ion_estimated/

i thought Vietnam was supposed to be a street curcuit but this looks purpose built no? street roads being converted to a proper permanent race track? more likely i was just got it wrong that it was supposed to be a street circuit?
From memory its a Y or T shaped configuration with the part in the image being one "leg" purpose built, with each of the other two "legs" being parallel out hairpin and back on stretches on the highway visible in the right top to right middle, just beyond the ludicrous first corner
Old 11 Jan 2020, 15:35 (Ref:3951021)   #2205
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

Looks like it might become part of an overall sports complex, what with that stadium in the background.
Old 12 Jan 2020, 20:17 (Ref:3951247)   #2206
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Looks like it might become part of an overall sports complex, what with that stadium in the background.

This looks like its location.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Gr...!4d105.7644072
Old 13 Jan 2020, 15:59 (Ref:3951362)   #2207
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan View Post
From memory its a Y or T shaped configuration with the part in the image being one "leg" purpose built, with each of the other two "legs" being parallel out hairpin and back on stretches on the highway visible in the right top to right middle, just beyond the ludicrous first corner
yes i see that now! thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
...Very much dual purpose vs. squeezing race into an existing street layout for one weekend a year?

Richard
it does seem like a lot of work to put in for a one weekend a year event...maybe they have plans for other events?

i suppose construction costs are significantly cheaper in Vietnam so why not i guess.

expect a 'western nations cant afford nice things anymore' rant from me at a later time.

Quote:
have to say i like that they do not go through the stadium. in Mexico this is a very cool spectator feature and all but it loses something on TV imo. the focus switches to full grandstand (which just reinforces how odd this is now days/expect a 'races need to be cheaper' rant from me at a later time) so one example of it may be enough for me.
Old 13 Jan 2020, 16:20 (Ref:3951366)   #2208
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
yes i see that now! thanks!

it does seem like a lot of work to put in for a one weekend a year event...maybe they have plans for other events?

i suppose construction costs are significantly cheaper in Vietnam so why not i guess.

expect a 'western nations cant afford nice things anymore' rant from me at a later time.

have to say i like that they do not go through the stadium. in Mexico this is a very cool spectator feature and all but it loses something on TV imo. the focus switches to full grandstand (which just reinforces how odd this is now days/expect a 'races need to be cheaper' rant from me at a later time) so one example of it may be enough for me.
I was re-watching some CART/Champ Car races, when they raced at Mexico City and from a racing point of view, I thought the stadium section worked. However, they changed the layout when F1 started racing there and I don't think it works as well. Anyway, I think one stadium section is enough. It would become a little gimmicky if was adopted at another track.
Old 13 Jan 2020, 20:49 (Ref:3951410)   #2209
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
I ask without knowing the answer, how often is Circuit Gilles Villeneuve used each year?

Quote:

I think most western nations have more controls over where and why public money is spent. So building F1 tracks is probably (rightly) viewed as a boondoggle by many. They cost a lot and probably don't generate enough money over their lifespan.

Others may have more flexibility on funds, plus want the GP event as a status symbol so as to elevate their status on the world stage ("Look! We are one of you!")

With that being said, it looks like Vietnam is building this as part of a larger multi-use complex (which is the best thing to do). Sort of like I think they tried at Sochi and Circuit Gilles Villeneuve?????

Richard
Old 13 Jan 2020, 22:24 (Ref:3951428)   #2210
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
I ask without knowing the answer, how often is Circuit Gilles Villeneuve used each year?
for auto racing...there was a time where it would host a few different series each year but now its down to 1 or 2 although i think it just may only be F1 now. could be wrong on that though. built in 67 and re purposed as a race track in the late 70. its getting some much needed upgrades but its pretty old now.
Old 14 Jan 2020, 08:53 (Ref:3951529)   #2211
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Saudi?

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-m...-idUSKCN1UW1D6
Old 14 Jan 2020, 16:13 (Ref:3951579)   #2212
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
There's mention of 24 races. Does F1 need that many?
Old 14 Jan 2020, 17:38 (Ref:3951594)   #2213
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
There's mention of 24 races. Does F1 need that many?
Dontt see why not-F1 teams & drivers did that many around 1972-six in england(4 at Brands Hatch)+ 8 tasman races
Old 14 Jan 2020, 18:47 (Ref:3951600)   #2214
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob29 View Post
Dontt see why not-F1 teams & drivers did that many around 1972-six in england(4 at Brands Hatch)+ 8 tasman races
It was completely different back in 1972. There were fewer races per season, 12 championship, with much bigger gaps between races and 6 non-championship, that had a much reduced FI field, as many of these races included F5000. The season schedule was nothing like it is today. By 1972 the Tasman Series was for F5000 only.
Old 14 Jan 2020, 18:50 (Ref:3951601)   #2215
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
purely personal/selfish reason here...

but its the golden age of TV and i am already constrained by both time and health in regards to how much TV i can and should actually watch.

for me, less races would make the season more interesting and would make my family happier.

well i am assuming spending more time with me would make them happier...
Old 14 Jan 2020, 19:04 (Ref:3951604)   #2216
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
It’s ok, loads of people watch a lot. Certainly you should watch what you can. But certainly we could afford to lose a few races. Certainly everyone can find away around this
Old 14 Jan 2020, 19:06 (Ref:3951605)   #2217
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
putting political/cultural issues aside, i am curious to see what they would build for it!
Old 14 Jan 2020, 19:12 (Ref:3951609)   #2218
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
It’s ok, loads of people watch a lot. Certainly you should watch what you can. But certainly we could afford to lose a few races. Certainly everyone can find away around this
and to an extent i already have. i rarely if ever watch quali any more, Barcelona and Sochi are highlights only, all the other summer races are recorded and watched at a later time.

i suppose the paradox here is that it is the new races/venues which pique my curiosity more so i watch the full coverage for them.
Old 15 Jan 2020, 00:23 (Ref:3951656)   #2219
S griffin
Veteran

It’s good to do. Quali is rarely shown. But it’s good we still have some coverage. Lucky those who can watch it live. I just we keep a limit on the number of races on the calendar
Old 15 Jan 2020, 00:25 (Ref:3951657)   #2220
S griffin
Veteran

It’s a shame the coverage has gone downhill. We need it back to how it was. I just wish we had the Beeb covering it again. And let’s keep the races capped at 20
Old 15 Jan 2020, 00:30 (Ref:3951659)   #2221
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
It’s good to do. Quali is rarely shown. But it’s good we still have some coverage. Lucky those who can watch it live. I just we keep a limit on the number of races on the calendar
Sky show qualifying. Pretty much the best part of the GP weekend, .
Old 15 Jan 2020, 01:35 (Ref:3951664)   #2222
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Sky show qualifying. Pretty much the best part of the GP weekend, .
I agree. I always try and watch qualy live. Especially Q3. Something about those last few minutes that has always grabbed me from the first days of F1 coverage.
Old 15 Jan 2020, 10:26 (Ref:3951706)   #2223
S griffin
Veteran

It's good to watch and quali can be something interesting, but Q3 is the best. It's always down to the wire with that
Old 15 Jan 2020, 10:37 (Ref:3951712)   #2224
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
It's good to watch and quali can be something interesting, but Q3 is the best. It's always down to the wire with that
I would disagree with this view slightly.

The end of each Q session can be the best to watch, depending on the situation.

Seeing who makes it out of each Q, and which teams/drivers have miscalculated is more enjoyable (IMO) than watching the best teams demonstrate their superiority in Q3.

For example, Aus GP - McLaren and RBR miss Q2 or Mercedes set a 1-2?
Old 16 Jan 2020, 20:33 (Ref:3951987)   #2225
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Liberty has claimed a target of 25 races, so they add races in dubious countries without losing the classic racetracks.