Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 4 Mar 2020, 18:37 (Ref:3961578)   #26
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
if it was to be protested, would Merc have to make available the technical details about their system to the other teams? rather wouldn't those details come out in the course of the investigation?

presumably the FIA has this info already and have already deemed it legal for this year (as they have said a few times now) so what would be the point of protesting unless teams are using this process to also glean details about what the other teams are up to/what loopholes the other team has found out?

i ask only to point out the inherent secrecy that exists between the teams and the FIA in all matters and these concerns about transparency need not be about someone cheating. they could also be about one team trying to increase their knowledge base.

imo a private settlement isn't proof in and of itself that Ferrari cheated vs just exploited a loophole.

all good though as someone will just poach the other's employee and will get the data they need.
Old 4 Mar 2020, 20:20 (Ref:3961614)   #27
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post

imo a private settlement isn't proof in and of itself that Ferrari cheated vs just exploited a loophole.

It was no loophole, they tampered with the fuel flow meter to increase fuel flow to the engine

that was already illegal and also the reason there are 2 fuel flow meters on the cars this season(to avoid tampering)
Old 4 Mar 2020, 20:48 (Ref:3961620)   #28
Kempi
Veteran

Germany
Düsseldorf, Germany
Kempi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKempi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
And you of course have evidence for that.
Old 4 Mar 2020, 21:34 (Ref:3961625)   #29
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve nielsen View Post
It was no loophole, they tampered with the fuel flow meter to increase fuel flow to the engine

that was already illegal and also the reason there are 2 fuel flow meters on the cars this season(to avoid tampering)
Being a bit pedantic here, but "tampering" says or implies they made changes to the meters. Lets say I agree with your basic premise. I doubt they made changes to the meters. That would be most likely verifiable, but instead Ferrari may have:

1. Found a way to flow more fuel without detection by the homologated meter.
2. How they are doing it is clever enough that it's not obvious and the involved components may have other valid uses.

Hypothetically the FIA position may be "You are flowing more fuel and your clever solution uses X, Y and Z components". The Ferrari position may be "As you can see, the data shows we are not flowing extra fuel and X, Y and Z actually do A, B and C and are unrelated to your speculation that it is trying to increase flow."

I suspect that the FIA knows that adding an extra flow sensor may disrupt the X, Y, Z strategy.

As always, pure speculation on my end. I am not saying Ferrari cheated, but I am trying to weave a story that might fit that scenario. As always, all Ferrari has to do is provide details on the settlement to clear the air!

Richard
Old 5 Mar 2020, 00:21 (Ref:3961649)   #30
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

Umm, no. There is ZERO chance it was straight illegal. Even the FIA couldn't risk that coming out and it would. There is no chance it was directly contravening any rules or the punishment would have been strong. If no part was illegal but the combination made a possibly illegal action then the FIA would have to prove it actually did. Without that proof they couldn't afford challenging teams with deep legal pockets. And releasing why they settled with Ferrari would likely release what they were doing. And the FIA wants no part of the info getting out to deal with new systems doing the same thing
Old 5 Mar 2020, 01:18 (Ref:3961656)   #31
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
Umm, no. There is ZERO chance it was straight illegal. Even the FIA couldn't risk that coming out and it would. There is no chance it was directly contravening any rules or the punishment would have been strong. If no part was illegal but the combination made a possibly illegal action then the FIA would have to prove it actually did. Without that proof they couldn't afford challenging teams with deep legal pockets. And releasing why they settled with Ferrari would likely release what they were doing. And the FIA wants no part of the info getting out to deal with new systems doing the same thing
Sounds like the old Benetton Option 13 scam from many moons ago,(1994?) where IIRC the launch control software was there but 'never used'. (Not to my recollection your honour!)
https://au.motorsport.com/f1/news/be...lease/1652202/
Old 5 Mar 2020, 01:38 (Ref:3961658)   #32
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I don’t think the Benetton had TC in 1994 because Verstappen would have been better if that was the case.
Old 5 Mar 2020, 03:48 (Ref:3961678)   #33
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ferrari & the FIA can thank their lucky stars that the Corona virus has distracted a lot of attention away from the teams complaints. Assertions of who did what to what what bits of the PU are nothing but hot air as no one outside of the two organisations knows. That something happened is beyond question but no specific assertions can be made, the popular one being the fuel flow rate. A few months before it was the twin batteries but that died swiftly.
Old 5 Mar 2020, 07:16 (Ref:3961688)   #34
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
if it was to be protested, would Merc have to make available the technical details about their system to the other teams? rather wouldn't those details come out in the course of the investigation?

presumably the FIA has this info already and have already deemed it legal for this year (as they have said a few times now) so what would be the point of protesting unless teams are using this process to also glean details about what the other teams are up to/what loopholes the other team has found out?

i ask only to point out the inherent secrecy that exists between the teams and the FIA in all matters and these concerns about transparency need not be about someone cheating. they could also be about one team trying to increase their knowledge base.

all good though as someone will just poach the other's employee and will get the data they need.
Some have suggested that DAS could be a breach of Parc Ferme regs as the suspension settings have been changed from when the car left the pit lane, possibly that could be tested in a protest by other teams. Apparently Ferrari had evaluated a form of DAS and discounted it as they believed it would not be allowed...

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
Old 5 Mar 2020, 07:17 (Ref:3961689)   #35
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
I don’t think the Benetton had TC in 1994 because Verstappen would have been better if that was the case.
Only Schumachers Benetton had TC or he was the only of the drivers who was told how to engage it, just ask Jos, JJ Lehto or Johnny Herbert

and it was Senna that also had said that Schumachers Benetton sounded different from the second car(Jos or JJ) and was convinced Schumachers car had TC

https://joesaward.wordpress.com/2011...as-he-sees-it/

Last edited by steve nielsen; 5 Mar 2020 at 07:32.
Old 5 Mar 2020, 07:22 (Ref:3961690)   #36
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kempi View Post
And you of course have evidence for that.
The fact that Ferrari suddenly dropped back in performance after the FIA technical directive says enough.
And the question from Red Bull that lead to that technical directive was about fuel flow

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/14...rrari-intrigue

Like I said: that's why there are 2 fuel flow meters now
Old 5 Mar 2020, 08:15 (Ref:3961694)   #37
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyseeker View Post
Some have suggested that DAS could be a breach of Parc Ferme regs as the suspension settings have been changed from when the car left the pit lane, possibly that could be tested in a protest by other teams. Apparently Ferrari had evaluated a form of DAS and discounted it as they believed it would not be allowed...

It's a point of view but where does that leave the wheels, pedals and internal parts of the engine and gearbox? Silly I know but where does it end?
Old 5 Mar 2020, 15:06 (Ref:3961755)   #38
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The latest FIA press releases on matter:

https://www.fia.com/news/fia-stateme...ormula-1-teams

The FIA has conducted detailed technical analysis on the Scuderia Ferrari Power Unit as it is entitled to do for any competitor in the FIA Formula One World Championship.

The extensive and thorough investigations undertaken during the 2019 season raised suspicions that the Scuderia Ferrari PU could be considered as not operating within the limits of the FIA regulations at all times. The Scuderia Ferrari firmly opposed the suspicions and reiterated that its PU always operated in compliance with the regulations.The FIA was not fully satisfied but decided that further action would not necessarily result in a conclusive case due to the complexity of the matter and the material impossibility to provide the unequivocal evidence of a breach.

To avoid the negative consequences that a long litigation would entail especially in light of the uncertainty of the outcome of such litigations and in the best interest of the Championship and of its stakeholders, the FIA, in compliance with Article 4 (ii) of its Judicial and Disciplinary Rules (JDR), decided to enter into an effective and dissuasive settlement agreement with Ferrari to terminate the proceedings.

This type of agreement is a legal tool recognised as an essential component of any disciplinary system and is used by many public authorities and other sport federations in the handling of disputes.

The confidentiality of the terms of the settlement agreement is provided for by Article 4 (vi) of the JDR.

The FIA will take all necessary action to protect the sport and its role and reputation as regulator of the FIA Formula One World Championship.

i suppose either side of this debate can now use this release to justify their position on the issue.
Old 5 Mar 2020, 16:51 (Ref:3961763)   #39
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Basically FIA put their ham sandwich lunch in the refrigerator at work. Later in the day, their food was gone. Mysteriously, the lunchbox was still securely locked, but Ferrari's breath smelled suspiciously like ham and some wax paper that looked just like what had been used to wrap the sandwich was found in Ferrari's waste basket. While everyone in the office looked suspiciously at Ferrari, Ferrari said they know nothing about the missing ham sandwich (and then promptly went and brushed their teeth).

FIA decided they didn't have the time or money to pursue it any further as Ferrari has worked in the office a really long time and is a favorite of the owner of the business. So FIA just put an extra lock on their lunchbox and hoped for the best. So far it seems to be working.

Richard
Old 5 Mar 2020, 17:02 (Ref:3961765)   #40
mark_l
Veteran

England
mark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought the teams had to prove their cars was legal at all times during an event.

It is therefore not up to the FIA to prove it illegal, so if Ferrari cannot prove beyond all reasonable doubt they were fully compliant then they should of been excluded from that event.

It goes to show how close the Todt led FIA and Ferrari are in reality and that the poacher cannot become the gamekeeper.
Old 5 Mar 2020, 17:03 (Ref:3961766)   #41
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
Basically FIA put their ham sandwich lunch in the refrigerator at work. Later in the day, their food was gone. Mysteriously, the lunchbox was still securely locked, but Ferrari's breath smelled suspiciously like ham and some wax paper that looked just like what had been used to wrap the sandwich was found in Ferrari's waste basket. While everyone in the office looked suspiciously at Ferrari, Ferrari said they know nothing about the missing ham sandwich (and then promptly went and brushed their teeth).

FIA decided they didn't have the time or money to pursue it any further as Ferrari has worked in the office a really long time and is a favorite of the owner of the business. So FIA just put an extra lock on their lunchbox and hoped for the best. So far it seems to be working.

Richard
Great analogy!
Old 5 Mar 2020, 19:26 (Ref:3961795)   #42
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post

Richard
Old 5 Mar 2020, 21:26 (Ref:3961814)   #43
Kempi
Veteran

Germany
Düsseldorf, Germany
Kempi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKempi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
The fact that Ferrari suddenly dropped back in performance after the FIA technical directive says enough.
And the question from Red Bull that lead to that technical directive was about fuel flow

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/14...rrari-intrigue

Like I said: that's why there are 2 fuel flow meters now
You know what evidence is:

[]yes
[]no
[]maybe.

Tick the appropriate box. There are too many possible reasons for a reduced straightline speed for these signs to be considered sufficient evidence in a court.
Old 5 Mar 2020, 22:29 (Ref:3961818)   #44
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kempi View Post
You know what evidence is:

[]yes
[]no
[]maybe.

Tick the appropriate box. There are too many possible reasons for a reduced straightline speed for these signs to be considered sufficient evidence in a court.
I'm not only talking about straightline speed

the fact is in the 6 races after the summer break Ferrari scored 6 poles, 3 wins, 3 2nd places and a 3rd, in the 3 races after the technical directive Ferrari only scored 1 3rd place and no more poles

The FIA probably has evidence but tries to cover it up because otherwise they would have to strip Ferrari of their poles, points and wins
Old 5 Mar 2020, 23:29 (Ref:3961828)   #45
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyseeker View Post

One big mistake there, it is the steering geometry settings, nothing to do with the suspension. Why commentators keep mixing up the two I do not know.
Old 5 Mar 2020, 23:34 (Ref:3961829)   #46
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
I'm not only talking about straightline speed

the fact is in the 6 races after the summer break Ferrari scored 6 poles, 3 wins, 3 2nd places and a 3rd, in the 3 races after the technical directive Ferrari only scored 1 3rd place and no more poles

The FIA probably has evidence but tries to cover it up because otherwise they would have to strip Ferrari of their poles, points and wins

They could have left them doing what they were, made the championship far more interesting, and banned the loophole for this season.

Like the Merc DAS system?
Old 5 Mar 2020, 23:37 (Ref:3961831)   #47
Casper
Veteran

Every time they try and justify the result of the inquiry they open their mouth to change feet and add fuel to the fire. The FIA is simply delusional if they think any form of words that is not a full disclosure is going to kill the issue.
Old 5 Mar 2020, 23:52 (Ref:3961836)   #48
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
Every time they try and justify the result of the inquiry they open their mouth to change feet and add fuel to the fire. The FIA is simply delusional if they think any form of words that is not a full disclosure is going to kill the issue.
We still don't know what Renault were up to last year, do we?
Old 6 Mar 2020, 01:30 (Ref:3961840)   #49
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
quite right, the 7 teams have again written to the FIA insisting to take the matter further and demanding answers

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/51762454
Old 6 Mar 2020, 13:17 (Ref:3961921)   #50
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
And the FIA themselves have said they are not fully satisfied with Ferrari’s legality, so it seems this one may run a while