Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 16 Mar 2020, 08:10 (Ref:3964449)   #26
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
If the proposed up to 4 months ‘self isolation’ of U.K. citizens over the age of 70 comes in, even if meetings go ahead there’s going to be a lot of very small historic grids......

Old 16 Mar 2020, 08:19 (Ref:3964450)   #27
Duddha
Racer

United Nations
Geneva, Switzerland
Duddha should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDuddha should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDuddha should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think this has to be taken seriously, I live and work in Geneva, have a number of friends who work for WHO and other international organisation working on the virus and whom have very good and confirmed information.

What happened largely over Europe and is gonna spread to UK as well I presume is the fact that infected people were not isolated and spreaded the virus to others, a very volatile one which you can have with no symptoms at all but the elder people, the ones with medical conditions such as ashtma and so on are the ones at risk here first.

Intensive care units are already saturated in a number of regions or countries and that is what also helped the virus spread, they forecast it for the end of next week in a number of Swiss counties, so that is the real concern and also why public gatherings should be limited, so that personnel can be used for what matters.

We are home working from today here, as are most businesses that can do, social distancing prevails, but altogether people must be responsible and I can understand the economic impact but still, the more we will keep people away from each others the less the virus will be able to spread and the earlier we will be able to resume normal life.
Old 16 Mar 2020, 08:41 (Ref:3964451)   #28
Johno.UK
Racer

Johno.UK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The other issue is medical staff for race meetings. With the increasing strain the NHS is under I can't imagine that Doctors will want to spend the little free time they will get at race meetings.

The over 70's quarantine, if it comes in, is futile. I know many in that age group directly and via social media and the vast majority are saying there's no way they're staying in. So many people still seem to think it's just a bad cold.
Old 16 Mar 2020, 08:58 (Ref:3964453)   #29
Mike Crow
Racer

Mike Crow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That's not my experience. Older people here are already cancelling local events and gatherings and many are reducing contact with others. It may be minor for most but some become critically ill and emergency beds are limited. The isolation is aimed solely at taking pressure off the hospitals. If you keep going out you may end up in a bed urgently needed by somebody else. Ignoring the request to isolate will be a selfish act and I think most people will come to see it that way and respect it.
Old 16 Mar 2020, 09:06 (Ref:3964456)   #30
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johno.UK View Post

The over 70's quarantine, if it comes in, is futile. I know many in that age group directly and via social media and the vast majority are saying there's no way they're staying in. So many people still seem to think it's just a bad cold.
that's simply Darwin at work.....
Old 16 Mar 2020, 09:33 (Ref:3964465)   #31
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
You're a good salesman, Andy. I watched many on-board videos taken at Cadwell it looks so different. Donny looks great too. Till now, raced at Silverstone, visited Brands and Ethel.
Caldwell is known as the UK’s Nurburgring, albeit a much shorter lap. Watching XJS’s racing together with all four wheels off the deck as they come over “the mountain” is a sight to behold!
Old 16 Mar 2020, 09:44 (Ref:3964466)   #32
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
Caldwell is known as the UK’s Nurburgring, albeit a much shorter lap. Watching XJS’s racing together with all four wheels off the deck as they come over “the mountain” is a sight to behold!
Or even Cadwell! Off topic, gents......
Old 16 Mar 2020, 10:03 (Ref:3964472)   #33
Johno.UK
Racer

Johno.UK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Crow View Post
That's not my experience. Older people here are already cancelling local events and gatherings and many are reducing contact with others. It may be minor for most but some become critically ill and emergency beds are limited. The isolation is aimed solely at taking pressure off the hospitals. If you keep going out you may end up in a bed urgently needed by somebody else. Ignoring the request to isolate will be a selfish act and I think most people will come to see it that way and respect it.
Preaching to the converted. I totally understand the reasons. Problem is many of the over 70's I know think the whole thing is overblown and is a bunch of "snowflake millennials" making a mountain out of a mole hill. I seriously doubt they are the majority but if there's enough people thinking like that it's going to seriously undermine any containment measures.
Old 16 Mar 2020, 10:17 (Ref:3964477)   #34
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
I've been getting some news updates from a friend in Modena . . .it's no joke. The Governement are happy for swathes of pensioners to die, they don't give a f*** about the general population and it'll save them a load of money.
Old 16 Mar 2020, 11:50 (Ref:3964502)   #35
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
I've been getting some news updates from a friend in Modena . . .it's no joke. The Governement are happy for swathes of pensioners to die, they don't give a f*** about the general population and it'll save them a load of money.
If one takes a purely logical "Mr. Spock" type position, horrible as it might be, a virus based cull would be likely, in the main, to ease (but probably not solve) the looming problems of funding pensions and healthcare for high dependence members of the public masses.

Avoiding a pandemic might defer the challenge for a decade or two. Or a miraculous solution could appear - something like making the retirement age 80 AND supporting that approach with some wonderful elixir that gives everyone up to that age the fitness an capability of a 40years old individual and so capable still of undertaking useful work activities (absent the undesirable options for extended breeding periods which would defeat the purpose of the change.)

Either way the politicians can only react to, not direct, events no matter what self important opinions some of them may have about themselves.

2020 could go down in history as a very "interesting" and "formative" year. Not necessarily in a good way though it might work positively for some philosophies.
Old 16 Mar 2020, 12:09 (Ref:3964506)   #36
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Hmm - I'm six months off hitting 70, and I'm a toyboy (though she now says I'm now her carer) as my partner is 84, and for the last few months I've had a chest infection, but of course as a man only went to see the doctor after much nagging a month or so ago......now after two courses of antibiotics, I've been sent for a chest X-ray and then a follow-up CT scan - waiting the results from that.

So I guess I should be worried and hiding myself away, yet I still tend to look at the figures.....the latest published ones show something under 50K tests undertaken in UK, with around 1500 positives - there are only 6 positives in Lancashire where I live. That's a very small percentage of the population, nationally and locally who are infected, so I think panic is unjustified....and yes, pragmatically if we do get 100K deaths, primarily in the older age group, the economic damage to the country is likely to be less than that of a major recession caused by shutting the country down......

But I do expect that all our motorsport is likely to be suspended very shortly......
Old 16 Mar 2020, 13:07 (Ref:3964532)   #37
deley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bramley, Guildford
deley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddeley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
Hmm - I'm six months off hitting 70, and I'm a toyboy (though she now says I'm now her carer) as my partner is 84, and for the last few months I've had a chest infection, but of course as a man only went to see the doctor after much nagging a month or so ago......now after two courses of antibiotics, I've been sent for a chest X-ray and then a follow-up CT scan - waiting the results from that.

So I guess I should be worried and hiding myself away, yet I still tend to look at the figures.....the latest published ones show something under 50K tests undertaken in UK, with around 1500 positives - there are only 6 positives in Lancashire where I live. That's a very small percentage of the population, nationally and locally who are infected, so I think panic is unjustified....and yes, pragmatically if we do get 100K deaths, primarily in the older age group, the economic damage to the country is likely to be less than that of a major recession caused by shutting the country down......

But I do expect that all our motorsport is likely to be suspended very shortly......
Number of tests in the UK is a false basis on which to judge given that they are not testing all suspected cases.
Old 16 Mar 2020, 13:53 (Ref:3964548)   #38
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
We gonna have a moment here, they are about to announce a 45 days semi black out to start with. Instead of spinaches, toilet rolls or pasta I went for champagne, caviar and smoked salmon. If I have to go off quickly, I'll do it with style! Messieurs, buvez mais soyez saouls comme des Polonais! Alzo spacht Napoleon! Yippee!
Old 16 Mar 2020, 14:43 (Ref:3964555)   #39
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mrs MG and I decided last Saturday to self isolate so I nipped up to the local Sainsbury to get a few essentials about an hour before it closed and the place was nearly empty - certainly more staff than customers. We live in a rural area and in the East Riding there have only been 3 cases reported in a population of 340,000 so we hope we are fairly safely protected from infection. It's getting the mail and parcels from posties and couriers we have to be careful about. We also have groceries delivered so there is a slight risk there too. It will be not seeing the grandkids that will be the hard part.

Hope Mike's keeping safely away from crowds.
Old 16 Mar 2020, 14:59 (Ref:3964556)   #40
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
There are 7 cases in West Sussex, out of a local population of 858,852 . . . .hardly alarming. YET

Lots of spongey brained selfish pricks hoarding stuff though. Our local large supermarket ( I popped in for beer) had virtually nothing left other than fresh fruit veg and meat. lunacy. not even any tomato ketchup or dog food FFS!

shame some of these things don't operate via cranial capacity.
Old 16 Mar 2020, 15:16 (Ref:3964561)   #41
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by morninggents View Post
We live in a rural area and in the East Riding there have only been 3 cases reported in a population of 340,000 so we hope we are fairly safely protected from infection. It's getting the mail and parcels from posties and couriers we have to be careful about. We also have groceries delivered so there is a slight risk there too. It will be not seeing the grandkids that will be the hard part.

Hope Mike's keeping safely away from crowds.
Thanks, I’m trying to keep away from crowds, but had a hosp visit yesterday and GP appointment this morn. Then I went to the supermarket to get a couple of items...... None of those are healthy places!

Norfolk had no confirmed virus cases until yesterday. Now one in Norwich hosp and 3 in Kings Lynn, so better than most parts of the UK!
Old 16 Mar 2020, 17:54 (Ref:3964622)   #42
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
So, ‘Emergency workers will no longer support mass gatherings’.....

Not a ban on such gatherings, though. How is that going to affect the running of race meetings? Will it cause insurance / liability issues?
Old 16 Mar 2020, 17:57 (Ref:3964625)   #43
deley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bramley, Guildford
deley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddeley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It probably means that they won't get doctors or paramedics who are NHS registered.

Last edited by deley; 16 Mar 2020 at 18:13.
Old 16 Mar 2020, 18:59 (Ref:3964647)   #44
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
How is that going to affect the running of race meetings?
At the risk going OT, I'm convinced that within few days, if not hours, car races wont be a priority for many… Not even for the survivors.
Old 16 Mar 2020, 19:22 (Ref:3964656)   #45
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Veggie Nous sommes en guerre en France…

C'est nouveau, ça vient de sortir il faut rentrer!
We're no more allowed to go out meet friends or even family. What if we dont obey? A fine to be discussed will be given. Amongst all our Prez' words only the ones specifying that its a new kind of war make sense to my hears. He said seven times "nous sommes en guerre". The army will help. Soon we can have masks but where they are made is a mystery…

Many bills or past dues are suspended, water, gaz, electricity, rent, credits…
Old 16 Mar 2020, 19:24 (Ref:3964657)   #46
GregUK
Racer

GregUK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
So, ‘Emergency workers will no longer support mass gatherings’.....

Not a ban on such gatherings, though. How is that going to affect the running of race meetings? Will it cause insurance / liability issues?
You can't run even a kart meeting without a Paramedic....

If essential clinical staff do not rock up, you have no meeting (at least under MSUK regs)
Old 16 Mar 2020, 19:27 (Ref:3964659)   #47
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
https://twitter.com/ourmotorsportuk/...930287619?s=19

Not sure what this is suggesting really.
Old 16 Mar 2020, 19:32 (Ref:3964665)   #48
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
https://twitter.com/ourmotorsportuk/...930287619?s=19

Not sure what this is suggesting really.
PR speak for we have no idea...
Old 16 Mar 2020, 20:08 (Ref:3964681)   #49
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregUK View Post
You can't run even a kart meeting without a Paramedic.... If essential clinical staff do not rock up, you have no meeting (at least under MSUK regs)
Indeed. The legal definition of ‘emergency services’ is no doubt causing some head scratching.

And are circuits or meeting organisers at liberty to employ private ‘emergency services’, and would their insurance be valid in such an eventuality?
Old 16 Mar 2020, 20:22 (Ref:3964689)   #50
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johno.UK View Post
Preaching to the converted. I totally understand the reasons. Problem is many of the over 70's I know think the whole thing is overblown and is a bunch of "snowflake millennials" making a mountain out of a mole hill. I seriously doubt they are the majority but if there's enough people thinking like that it's going to seriously undermine any containment measures.
The truth couldn't be more opposite. My mechanics are all millennials who think it's only old people worrying about a cold.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk