Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 22 Mar 2020, 21:40 (Ref:3966160)   #1
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
OK, so where do we go from here?

To me it looks like FOM have lost control of the F1 calendar, Coronaviruns is a fast moving global situation. Countries that are already trying to manage it and save ther econony have enough on their plate to worry about F1. Countries that either don't have the virus or limited infections so far, don't want global sport to come in and potentially bring it with them. FOM (IMO) has nowhere to go with this.

Another thing in play, is that neither FOM or the FIA from F1's side are deciding the calendar either. In Australia it wasn't FOM or the FIA calling the shots, they would have gone anead, it was the teams or more precisely the manufacturers. Allegedly Toto Wolff changed his mind after speaking to Daimer, Ferrari didn't want to run ( which would mean no engines for their customers) and allegdly Honda, after consulting with Tokyo, had packed their kit before informing Red Bull they would not be supplying engines for the race.

FOM could put whatever calendar they like before the teams, but it doesn't mean they will go and if the manufacturers don't go, their engines for customer stay in the crate as well.

What does all this mean for F1? IMO F1 faces an existential crisis, I think certainly Mercedes, Honda and Renault will exit at the end of 2020. We have seen this all before, when their is a global crisis (and Coronavirus is bigger than the financial crash or previous recessions, manufacturers understandably retreat to ther core business which is already facing the perfect storm of emission targets and the transition to EV which is costing billions.

Aside from the tragic human cost, the major economies of the world face a combined trillions of dollars in healthcare, bailouts, personal and business sitmulus, there will be no money for F1 regardless of whatever bits of paper are signed. Look at F1 sponsors, how many Rolex watches do we think they are selling in the locked down prime cities of the World? Today they are literally boarding up the shop fronts of some of the luxury brands in London's west end. How much freight will DHL ship world wide - they are I believe one of the biggest car parts shipper world wide - car manufacturers have shut down their factories.

When this is all over, the world should and IMO will be a different place. Financially the bill will be picked up for decades and it will be the wealthy, the corporation and car makers picking up a large share of this in taxes.

A for the teams, proze money will be decimated, Claire Williams is already fretting about this and they finished last in the WCC for the last 2 years, so will hardly have earnt any performance based prize money.

I have followed F1 since 1980, I have seen it ebb and flow, but nothing like this, F1 has not seen this in 70 years. Probably a teams like Williams paying over 600 people to put 2 cars on the grid for 20 race will be seen as ludicrous, the manufactuer budgets more so. It has been effectively unsutainable for the last 10 years, to their credit Liberty saw this and are trying to confront it in 2021, but it may be too little too late.

We are in unchartered territory, we have had dramas in the past, car makers have left, but back in the golden era BE always had a government or unaccountable 'regime' to pitch F1 to. There was always a luxury brand that wanted the halo F1 effect. But never before have we seen car makers, global econpmies and the usually resiliant luxury brands hit at the same time.

Who else will pay for F1? Can Liberty survive 2020 as the rights holder with the prospect of refunding half the ( or more) of the F1 race promoters, sponsors and TV rights?

Unprecedented and fascinating times.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
Old 22 Mar 2020, 22:41 (Ref:3966162)   #2
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Realistically if Mercedes, Renault and Honda walk away then it's pretty much dead isn't it? The only way forward would be to ditch the hybrid engines and stick a Judd V10 in the back of cars - restrict spending, get budgets right down but keep the show on the road. The cars would be slower, but they'd sound awesome and be cheaper to run, if/when things get back to something approaching normality loosen the rules and let the brains create amazing things again.
Old 22 Mar 2020, 23:09 (Ref:3966164)   #3
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It takes tens of thousands of people to put the cars on the grid when it is all said and done. For a long time I have considered the whole thing totally out of control and could not envisage how it would change apart from imploding and I wonder if we are going to see that happen. Our planet is going to see changes on a massive social scale, changes that we still can't envisage and motor sport as a whole will also change as part of that. To make any predictions would take a brave person but you would have to say that given what we are now witnessing the chances of F1 coming out of this the same as it went in are zero.
Old 23 Mar 2020, 00:39 (Ref:3966169)   #4
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
To make any predictions would take a brave person but you would have to say that given what we are now witnessing the chances of F1 coming out of this the same as it went in are zero.
Not sure one thing or anyone will come out of this the same. I strongly believe a "new normal" will have to be defined for most things, let alone Motorsport and F1.
Old 23 Mar 2020, 06:41 (Ref:3966196)   #5
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
Realistically if Mercedes, Renault and Honda walk away then it's pretty much dead isn't it? The only way forward would be to ditch the hybrid engines and stick a Judd V10 in the back of cars - restrict spending, get budgets right down but keep the show on the road. The cars would be slower, but they'd sound awesome and be cheaper to run, if/when things get back to something approaching normality loosen the rules and let the brains create amazing things again.
Oh yes, bring it on!
Old 23 Mar 2020, 07:22 (Ref:3966197)   #6
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In this day and age it I have no idea why F1 uses bespoke engines at all. It seems to be some sort of elitism now, back in previous decades it was necessary but not now as production road engines are so good. I think it is an engineering W**K to tell the truth.
Old 23 Mar 2020, 10:13 (Ref:3966217)   #7
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
If the economy is hit badly, then I can see drastic measures coming in, especially if the manufacturers pull out. Certainly I like the idea of Judd V10 supplying teams, be like the Cosworth DFV days
Old 23 Mar 2020, 10:45 (Ref:3966223)   #8
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
If the economy is hit badly, then I can see drastic measures coming in
Quite a soothsayer then!
Old 23 Mar 2020, 11:07 (Ref:3966234)   #9
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
If the economy is hit badly, then I can see drastic measures coming in, especially if the manufacturers pull out. Certainly I like the idea of Judd V10 supplying teams, be like the Cosworth DFV days
The proverbial sage!

Although I’m a big fan of DVFs, the Judd V10 sound is on another level- or two! Just search out any YouTube clips...
Old 23 Mar 2020, 11:14 (Ref:3966237)   #10
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Idk, the cosworth was a nice sounding engine too. Especially when it started up
Old 23 Mar 2020, 12:32 (Ref:3966254)   #11
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Cosworth V10 TJ motor is still available with spares.
Old 23 Mar 2020, 13:10 (Ref:3966259)   #12
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Interesting that with all the serious points raised in the OP we’re more concerned about future engine sound.....

OK it is fundamental and not entirely off topic.....

One point I totally agree with in that OP is the posters comment that after this is all over is that the world will be a different place. F1 could well be of total irrelevance for years to come. Team sports, big world events like Olympics etc will surely continue where they left off .......
Old 23 Mar 2020, 13:15 (Ref:3966260)   #13
S griffin
Veteran

That is the worry atm, motorsport might struggle to find it’s place once this is all over. It does need to find a way to keep it relevant. Maybe cutting costs down a notch or two could help
Old 23 Mar 2020, 13:18 (Ref:3966261)   #14
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Who knows, F1 next year could be GP2+??
Old 23 Mar 2020, 13:28 (Ref:3966262)   #15
S griffin
Veteran

I could see them doing something like that, at least as a short term solution
Old 23 Mar 2020, 13:42 (Ref:3966263)   #16
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
That is the worry atm, motorsport might struggle to find it’s place once this is all over. It does need to find a way to keep it relevant. Maybe cutting costs down a notch or two could help
No, not motorsport, but the hideous money pit that F1 specifically. Other formula, categories, historics and club msport probably better placed for a recovery of some sort.
Old 23 Mar 2020, 14:54 (Ref:3966275)   #17
S griffin
Veteran

I hope they are working on a contingency plan if worse comes to worse
Old 23 Mar 2020, 15:11 (Ref:3966280)   #18
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyseeker View Post
Who knows, F1 next year could be GP2+??
Are you saying using GP2 chassis and then some level of upgrade to boost them above GP2 performance?

I see that only if a number of teams are on the verge of financial collapse and can't maintain their workforce. I think a more likely solution is an extended development freeze and even then that would make large chunks of staff redundant.

F1 can survive, but it might be much smaller from a budget and glamour perspective.

What about large dedicated circuits? Can they financially survive?

Richard
Old 23 Mar 2020, 15:22 (Ref:3966283)   #19
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
I hope they are working on a contingency plan if worse comes to worse
Would the world stop without F1?

Appreciate the consequences for those employed in the industry, obv.
Old 23 Mar 2020, 15:24 (Ref:3966287)   #20
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
Are you saying using GP2 chassis and then some level of upgrade to boost them above GP2 performance?

I see that only if a number of teams are on the verge of financial collapse and can't maintain their workforce. I think a more likely solution is an extended development freeze and even then that would make large chunks of staff redundant.

F1 can survive, but it might be much smaller from a budget and glamour perspective.

What about large dedicated circuits? Can they financially survive?

Richard
There could be a perfect storm in the collapse of the sponsorship market, or current sponsors unable to fulfil their commitments added to zero prize fund if F1 lost most of the 2020 races. Where for example would Williams find their budget if their main sponsor left and they had no FOM money. Will Haas carry on against a likely fall in demand for machines as manufacturing is cut back? Let alone of Mercedes and Renault did leave as works teams.

I agree running the current cars is an option but they ares till massively expensive to run, whereas you could run GP2+ cars with an aero and power upgrade on a smaller (largely European calendar) for say 5m euro compared to a minimum of 50m euro to build and run an F1 car and team.

Probably none of the above will be required and a realigned F1 will emerge.
Old 23 Mar 2020, 15:28 (Ref:3966289)   #21
S griffin
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Would the world stop without F1?

Appreciate the consequences for those employed in the industry, obv.

Yeah, that’s something that shouldn’t be overlooked. Those employees could be facing an uncertain future at some point. And we shouldn’t forget that like the drivers and team bosses, they do a lot for F1 too
Old 23 Mar 2020, 15:50 (Ref:3966292)   #22
Taxi645
Veteran

Netherlands
Taxi645 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTaxi645 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Winter schedule starting in September.
Constructive discussion: A conversion where participants are maximally open to yet critical of each others (and their own) arguments, with the intend of enhancing the knowledge, understanding and/or handling of it's subject.
Old 23 Mar 2020, 16:01 (Ref:3966297)   #23
S griffin
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxi645 View Post
Winter schedule starting in September.

That might be the best solution, just as long as we’re back to the normal schedule by 2022
Old 23 Mar 2020, 16:19 (Ref:3966305)   #24
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
sport is going to come back bigger then ever imo.

looking at this from a slightly different perspective...one thing being highlighted by the quarantine is our massive need for content and sports certainly provides a ton of content.

i think there will be money for it and even before this pandemic FOM was was lowering the cost to participate and moving towards providing teams with more money.

plus they paid 10billion(?) for the rights...one would think they will subsidize the teams and venues during the aftermath/recovery to ensure content creation and future revenue streams.

question for me is what 'gimmick' they will use to position themselves against a whole host of other sports/content creators who will be competing for that same market share?

going to an old engine is anathema imo.

forward thinking, sustainability, environmentally conscience will be the new yard stick (if it wasnt already before the virus).

if i was to bet, we will see the old cars for a year or two, but i would predict F1 going full electric and/or merging with Formula E within a couple of years.
Old 23 Mar 2020, 16:48 (Ref:3966309)   #25
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Baring in mind that some teams are struggling now and there is the possibility that Mercedes, Red Bull and even Ferrari will pull the pin due to the year of lost revenue I struggle to see how the formula can sustain itself in anything like its current form.

They will necessarily need to row back (unlearn if you will) on all the technology and/or make it all much less complicated. They will need to attract smaller independent teams because the majors will be out of it.