Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 25 Mar 2020, 15:43 (Ref:3966780)   #5351
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmD Tuning View Post
Keep positive everyone. The BTCC will happen this year and I think we're going to be VERY busy come July/August.

Shaun Hollamby
I really hope you're right Shaun. I still think people aren't taking this seriously enough though - June is currently the expected peak so to expect the season to start in July or August seems optimistic.
Old 25 Mar 2020, 16:18 (Ref:3966784)   #5352
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMROB View Post
Cheltenham festival was last week with over 250k people attending over a few days. Has anyone heard any reports of anyone there having caught coronavirus?
Yes - Lee Mack

'is said to have contacted COVID-19 while attending the controversial Cheltenham Festival earlier this month. [...] It looks like he caught it from his driver when he went to the Cheltenham Festival.'
Old 25 Mar 2020, 16:21 (Ref:3966786)   #5353
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Yes - Lee Mack

'is said to have contacted COVID-19 while attending the controversial Cheltenham Festival earlier this month. [...] It looks like he caught it from his driver when he went to the Cheltenham Festival.'
Looks like he'll be 'Not going out' then for a week or two. I do however wish him a speedy & thorough recovery.
Old 25 Mar 2020, 17:05 (Ref:3966800)   #5354
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
Yeah, the let’s have 12 races at 3 different circuits in 6 days crowd.

I hope you can find some work outside of Motorsport.

It’s plainly obvious to those that can see that 2020 is going to be a total write-off and that 2021 is going to be very different to anything that came before it sadly.
madness isn't it. let's do consecutive weekends! let's merge the grids! what do you mean the paddocks aren't big enough? everyone will just have to bring fewer vehicles! share awnings! sack off the hospitality units! crazy.

don't get me wrong, it's great to brain storm, but it's important to consider reality. i think we all accept that it's going to be a mad slog when it does get round to happening. i'm not sure it's over and done with for the season either, the real answer is that we've got no idea. give it two months and we'll be in a totally different place with different concerns.

i should be ok, worst case scenario is riding the grocery shopping wave and delivering shopping. it's going to be a long, drawn out and tedious way of paying the rent though.
Old 25 Mar 2020, 17:10 (Ref:3966801)   #5355
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
madness isn't it. let's do consecutive weekends! let's merge the grids! what do you mean the paddocks aren't big enough? everyone will just have to bring fewer vehicles! share awnings! sack off the hospitality units! crazy.
Just to clarify Bella - my "merge the grids" comments are based on the assumption that none of the announced grids will actually turn out to be anything like that big once things get rolling. The financial hit businesses are taking means that motorsport sponsorship is going to be a long way down the list of things that get signed off. I suspect a lot of "confirmed" drives will fall through - so paddock space may well not be such an issue.
Old 25 Mar 2020, 18:08 (Ref:3966810)   #5356
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I do agree some of the support race teams might struggle to get the budget together due to the uncertainty. Merging might be the best option
Old 25 Mar 2020, 18:08 (Ref:3966811)   #5357
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmD Tuning View Post
Yes definitely could work but the "hostility" and TV side of the championship wouldn't work so well for sponsors?

Without wanting to downplay the seriousness of our current CV19 situation once the BTCC starts again there'll be demand for an exciting TV friendly sport to fill the TV sports slots that are empty due to cancellation? Just my opinion.

Circuits will want race weekends that pull in the ticket sales and in all honesty the BTCC and BSB are the only UK race series that do. Just my opinion.
Absolutely, TV needs sport - so whatever the organisers can get agreed to run at track I would reckon TV will fall in line.

FOX in the US is putting computer game NASCAR (as I prefer to call it!) on mainstream TV this weekend as they have nowt else other than re-runs. Pretty sure itv4 will be glad of live action when it's available.

Fingers crossed.

How's Mike Bushy recovering - anybody know anything?
Old 25 Mar 2020, 18:23 (Ref:3966816)   #5358
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
every finger is crossed, seriously.

i work in the paddock, and one of my employers has completely shut down for at least six weeks and the other is desperately trying to busy the full time staff with no need at all for us day-rate folks. we’re just all trying to find temp work and keep going until it kicks off again.

boggles my mind how few posters on this thread look at the human impact of all this.
A friends son here in Dublin is driving for Tesco, he is a trainee Lawyer!. He got the job in 48 hours. He says they are hiring everywhere. Get on it. You never know.
Old 25 Mar 2020, 19:53 (Ref:3966830)   #5359
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
it's definitely an option, but it's plan e or f as opposed to plan a or b. you have to live close enough to a big branch of a supermarket brand to make it worthwhile, particularly with being PAYE so you can't offset travelling costs!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
Just to clarify Bella - my "merge the grids" comments are based on the assumption that none of the announced grids will actually turn out to be anything like that big once things get rolling. The financial hit businesses are taking means that motorsport sponsorship is going to be a long way down the list of things that get signed off. I suspect a lot of "confirmed" drives will fall through - so paddock space may well not be such an issue.
i know, but you have to admit, it's an unbelievably unlikely suggestion all things considered.

try thinking of reasonably balanced series that commercially could combine grids on the btcc and british gt support bills. beyond the several modern mini series, and mayyyybe the gt5 challenge and ginetta juniors...
Old 25 Mar 2020, 20:14 (Ref:3966832)   #5360
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
So to try and to keep people’s spirits up, what has everyone been looking forward most to this season?

For me I have been looking forward to seeing Mat Jackson back most of all and also been looking forward to seeing other teams with different drivers from last season, like Sonic and Cook at BTC or Hill at MB Motorsport or Bobby Thompson and James Gornall at TPR. Not forgetting the new Hyundai too

And also seeing how Oliphant does in his second season with WSR and whether Cammish could go one better
Old 25 Mar 2020, 20:18 (Ref:3966834)   #5361
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
Quote:
i know, but you have to admit, it's an unbelievably unlikely suggestion all things considered.

try thinking of reasonably balanced series that commercially could combine grids on the btcc and british gt support bills. beyond the several modern mini series, and mayyyybe the gt5 challenge and ginetta juniors...
Unlikely yes - becuase there would need to be some reigning in of egos and that'll never happen

The Ginetta GT4 supercup BTCC support could tag onto the British GT grid (they'd need to learn pretty fast to watch their mirrors for the GT3 cars though!). Clios (British GT support) and Minis (BTCC support) should be able to run together reasonably well. Porsche Carrera cup (BTCC support, multi class) should be able to combine with Porsche Sprint Challenge (British GT support) - no commercial 'brand' nose knocking out of joint there either. The juniors probably can't race with anything else - because juniors.

How's this for leftfield - combine BTCC and the Touring Car Trophy
Old 25 Mar 2020, 21:28 (Ref:3966842)   #5362
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
Quote:
Unlikely yes - becuase there would need to be some reigning in of egos and that'll never happen

The Ginetta GT4 supercup BTCC support could tag onto the British GT grid (they'd need to learn pretty fast to watch their mirrors for the GT3 cars though!). Clios (British GT support) and Minis (BTCC support) should be able to run together reasonably well. Porsche Carrera cup (BTCC support, multi class) should be able to combine with Porsche Sprint Challenge (British GT support) - no commercial 'brand' nose knocking out of joint there either. The juniors probably can't race with anything else - because juniors.

the porsche series combining is probably a good shout - not sure what the lap differences will be. big ginettas run against gt3 cars in gt cup - i'm sure one team or another brought theirs to british gt as well at some point. but you're looking at two completely different formats - big ginetta have six tyres a weekend, british gt are on four sets or something. big ginettas run sprint, british gt has longer races and thus, pitcrew... they could run with gt cup, but i suspect that's going to be one of the casualties with many teams run on a minimal budget as it is.

the new clio iirc isn't as fast as the old one? they were slower than minis anyway and if mini didn't mind you'd need approval from the french, which... well

can you imagine the drama from the btcc/tct merge? that would be AMAZING
Old 25 Mar 2020, 21:32 (Ref:3966843)   #5363
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
So to try and to keep people’s spirits up, what has everyone been looking forward most to this season?

For me I have been looking forward to seeing Mat Jackson back most of all and also been looking forward to seeing other teams with different drivers from last season, like Sonic and Cook at BTC or Hill at MB Motorsport or Bobby Thompson and James Gornall at TPR. Not forgetting the new Hyundai too

And also seeing how Oliphant does in his second season with WSR and whether Cammish could go one better
One of the things I've been most looking for was to see how Infiniti fares, especially in hands of Ash Sutton. This is kind of a mystery to me.
Old 25 Mar 2020, 21:45 (Ref:3966844)   #5364
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

can you imagine the drama from the btcc/tct merge? that would be AMAZING
I can, and AMAZING isn't the word that immediately springs to mind!
Old 25 Mar 2020, 22:03 (Ref:3966845)   #5365
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Do most circuits have enough grid space to accommodate all those extra TCT entries?
Old 25 Mar 2020, 22:08 (Ref:3966846)   #5366
S griffin
Veteran

If BTCC was struggling to get more than 20 entries it would be worth considering, but with 29, there’s no point adding another class of racing on, however small TCT is
Old 26 Mar 2020, 03:01 (Ref:3966866)   #5367
medius
Veteran

England
Media Office hiding from the rain
medius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmedius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
TCT was deadder than a dead thing before Covid19 came along.
Old 26 Mar 2020, 09:31 (Ref:3966904)   #5368
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
Quote:
If BTCC was struggling to get more than 20 entries it would be worth considering, but with 29, there’s no point adding another class of racing on, however small TCT is
But the big question is - by the time racing starts up again how many of those 29 BTCC entries will actually be there? There's a good chance budgets may well have disappeared.

Quote:
Originally Posted by medius View Post
TCT was deadder than a dead thing before Covid19 came along.
Ooh - how can you say that? They've announced a driver.
Old 26 Mar 2020, 09:55 (Ref:3966909)   #5369
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
If what you say is true, I think what we will see is a massive reset. In order to create bigger grids there will be a need to grow back on the current regs which, although designed to be more econimic than ST etc. Are still going to be too expensive for privateers who will be needed to fill the gaps.

Whether it means a quick shift to all electric or a reversion to ICEs and dropping the trick gearboxes etc. I don't know, but it will have to be less costly to enter otherwise the grids will be extremely thin.
Old 26 Mar 2020, 10:25 (Ref:3966914)   #5370
S griffin
Veteran

Autosport have a season preview in today's issue. Interesting reading, despite the delay in proceedings
Old 26 Mar 2020, 10:56 (Ref:3966924)   #5371
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Autosport have a season preview in today's issue. Interesting reading, despite the delay in proceedings
Well I suppose that this would have been already written and scheduled for this issue as the first round was supposed to be this weekend.
Old 26 Mar 2020, 11:06 (Ref:3966926)   #5372
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
If what you say is true, I think what we will see is a massive reset. In order to create bigger grids there will be a need to grow back on the current regs which, although designed to be more econimic than ST etc. Are still going to be too expensive for privateers who will be needed to fill the gaps.

Whether it means a quick shift to all electric or a reversion to ICEs and dropping the trick gearboxes etc. I don't know, but it will have to be less costly to enter otherwise the grids will be extremely thin.
How exactly would teams fund the build of these new cars? More sensible to grandfather the current cars as they are for 2 or 3 seasons regardless of Homologation life left and put the expensive ( but future looking) hybrids back 1 or 2 years.
Old 26 Mar 2020, 11:11 (Ref:3966927)   #5373
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
How exactly would teams fund the build of these new cars? More sensible to grandfather the current cars as they are for 2 or 3 seasons regardless of Homologation life left and put the expensive ( but future looking) hybrids back 1 or 2 years.
Or go for an option similar to the S2000/NGTC crossover?

Teams could run:

Full NGTC (current cars)
Current chassis with hybrid PU
Full EV in new chassis

Gradually reduce the competitiveness of older spec cars over a few seasons, and I'm sure TD and WSR will have full EV cars in under 24 months.
Old 26 Mar 2020, 11:17 (Ref:3966929)   #5374
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
Not sure the teams would all be around frankly. But ok if you think it's cheap to run these cars then fine.
Old 26 Mar 2020, 12:06 (Ref:3966939)   #5375
S griffin
Veteran

Wonder what the next specification of cars would be called?