Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 27 Mar 2020, 17:20 (Ref:3967252)   #91
Richard Casto
Subscriber
Veteran

United States
Durham, NC, USA
Richard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyseeker View Post
Well, well, well - we were only referring to BE on these pages a while ago and as if by magic he as popped up on motorsport.com to tell the World that if he was at the helm, he would abandon the 2020 season on safety grounds, rather than trying to reschedule races...

Little rascal...

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
I am sure he sits at home refreshing the F1 forum on tentenths.com looking for fresh F1 ideas.

Seriously, I would love to know how many recognizable names are either frequently contributors or lurkers on this forum. Clearly there are some here involved in the industry. There are times it seems that topics here show up in the news. Probably coincidence, but who knows.

Richard
Old 27 Mar 2020, 17:22 (Ref:3967253)   #92
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famechillibowl will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
i would prefer not to know...they probably think we are all idiots anyways!
Old 27 Mar 2020, 17:24 (Ref:3967254)   #93
Moneyseeker
Subscriber
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
I am sure he sits at home refreshing the F1 forum on tentenths.com looking for fresh F1 ideas.

Seriously, I would love to know how many recognizable names are either frequently contributors or lurkers on this forum. Clearly there are some here involved in the industry. There are times it seems that topics here show up in the news. Probably coincidence, but who knows.

Richard
Invoice pads at the ready, BE only ever says something for a reason, he sniffs commercial blood and is waiting for the moment to go in for the inevitable....

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
Old 27 Mar 2020, 17:27 (Ref:3967255)   #94
Richard Casto
Subscriber
Veteran

United States
Durham, NC, USA
Richard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameRichard Casto will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
i would prefer not to know...they probably think we are all idiots anyways!
I thought the feeling was mutual!

If I was them, I probably would think we were idiots. I for one, have my own perspective as a fan (which I think is valid) and I also think I am smart enough to envision what might be going on. But I have no illusions and that I am probably wrong most of the time. I just shoot for better than average speculation.

I would love to talk to someone who is inside to gauge how right/wrong I am. I suspect the largest mistakes we fans do is paint problems as being black/white and maybe simpler than they are. I know that in my day job it's always more complicated than it appears from the outside.

Richard
Old 27 Mar 2020, 19:11 (Ref:3967263)   #95
P38 in workshop
Racer

P38 in workshop has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I always thought Bernie was maligned for some stuff that was unfairly attributed to him and should have been left at the feet of CVC.He was unbelievably efficient in transforming a casual alliance of tiny companies building racing cars into a cash generating monster.One of the traits that served him well was judging the value of things and if Liberty have driven the value of their asset down to a point where he might be interested in a bargain I doubt that the number of candles on his last birthday cake would inhibit him.I don't doubt he could recruit capable people to do the legwork if the incumbents didn't want to stick around and I don't suppose Ross Brawn would feel happy with Bernie calling the shots.Could it happen?We might soon find out.
Old 28 Mar 2020, 07:16 (Ref:3967301)   #96
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice has a real shot at the podium!coppice has a real shot at the podium!coppice has a real shot at the podium!coppice has a real shot at the podium!coppice has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by P38 in workshop View Post
He was unbelievably efficient in transforming a casual alliance of tiny companies building racing cars into a cash generating monster.

I can't disagree with that judgment... except you think that was a GOOD thing?

All I know is that before he and his seedy pal Max got their greedy hands on the sport , I could not only afford to spend time at a couple of Grands Prix a year , I could walk around the paddock (and pits in the evening ) and not be treated as an inconvenient civilian by security thugs .
Old 28 Mar 2020, 07:42 (Ref:3967305)   #97
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
As with all things power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely.

The early years when he took on Balestre and Ferrari on behalf of the garagistes he was a force for good. But he saw the commercial possibilities and started to lock in the teams resulting in the Concorde agreement.
Old 28 Mar 2020, 08:19 (Ref:3967307)   #98
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!
Bernie saying that he would cancel the whole 2020 season if he was in charge takes some convincing. Of course it's easier to say you would do the right thing when you are no longer in charge. I still remember how he refused to pull the plug on the 2012 Bahrain GP, despite the monumental opposition to the race going ahead. He had to find a few excuses to justify them being there
Old 28 Mar 2020, 10:19 (Ref:3967328)   #99
Mike Harte
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte has a real shot at the podium!Mike Harte has a real shot at the podium!Mike Harte has a real shot at the podium!Mike Harte has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
I have a hard time seeing BE come back into the picture. When he was running things, as much as everyone says he was doing it himself, he clearly had people around him to make it happen. I wonder how many of those remain at this point. So he would have to rebuild the management structure as he see fit.

Richard

He actually ran FOM from a room in his London home - not his Biggin Hill office that was his investment group's H/Q - and he did so with the aid of just one personal assistant.
Old 28 Mar 2020, 11:26 (Ref:3967339)   #100
P38 in workshop
Racer

P38 in workshop has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by coppice View Post
I can't disagree with that judgment... except you think that was a GOOD thing?

All I know is that before he and his seedy pal Max got their greedy hands on the sport , I could not only afford to spend time at a couple of Grands Prix a year , I could walk around the paddock (and pits in the evening ) and not be treated as an inconvenient civilian by security thugs .

Did you ever ask one of the old time mechanics how much they enjoyed being out of a job at the end of the racing season?I agree that the barriers are too impenetrable these days and the retinue of hangers on has become much too large.
Old 28 Mar 2020, 11:33 (Ref:3967343)   #101
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!S griffin has a real shot at the championship!
At least F1 has tried in recent times to have more interaction with fans, with autograph sessions and the like
Old 28 Mar 2020, 13:04 (Ref:3967356)   #102
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
IIRC there were always autograph sessions at GPs but additionally we had free pitlane access at the end of practice and qualifying days.
Old 28 Mar 2020, 13:31 (Ref:3967366)   #103
Adam43
14th
20KPINAL

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I think there is this stuff at many GP. It's all a bit orgnaised at specific times, but that's just being pragmatic about it.

I'm afraid there has to be some restrictions. The sheer volumes and potential for it to be spoilt by a few are too great.

The other side of this has been increased accessibility away from the track (TV and now other media). Although we've gone backwards on the TV front a little
Old 28 Mar 2020, 13:48 (Ref:3967369)   #104
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Agreed, I was just making the point that things aren't new.
Old 28 Mar 2020, 15:26 (Ref:3967392)   #105
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice has a real shot at the podium!coppice has a real shot at the podium!coppice has a real shot at the podium!coppice has a real shot at the podium!coppice has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by P38 in workshop View Post
Did you ever ask one of the old time mechanics how much they enjoyed being out of a job at the end of the racing season?I agree that the barriers are too impenetrable these days and the retinue of hangers on has become much too large.

No I didn't - but, sadly , being laid off at the employer's whim wasn't unique to motor racing. The old mechanics I have talked to- like Bob Dance - don't seem to harbour many bitter memories I must say .

I certainly don't miss many things about motor racing in the past (dire catering , desultory safety and sometimes chaotic organisation) but , so far as Grands Prix are concerned , I miss a helluva lot actually .

Such as affordability, access , track proximity , spectacle, noise and the fact that, to a large extent , I was with fellow enthusiasts who loved motor racing , and not selfie seeking , celeb obsessed 'fans' whose interest in the sport begins and ends with F1