Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 29 Jun 2020, 12:22 (Ref:3984480)   #576
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Coulthard was linked to Honda for 06
Old 3 Jul 2020, 23:00 (Ref:3985419)   #577
Theunser
Racer

Theunser should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jean Alesi, after making his unforgettable debut in 1989, was a target for many teams. His Williams pre-contract is well-known, but for 1990, Mclaren contacted him to replace Prost, but that came to nothing. Also Ligier made an offer for him. But he opted to stay at Tyrrell, and then to move to Ferrari in 1991.
Old 4 Jul 2020, 07:40 (Ref:3985458)   #578
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
About the earlier post about Unser, I think he was actually linked to Brabham for 85 alongside Piquet, not 86
Old 4 Jul 2020, 09:25 (Ref:3985480)   #579
S griffin
Veteran

Alonso was linked to a Jaguar drive for 03
Old 4 Jul 2020, 23:33 (Ref:3985710)   #580
Theunser
Racer

Ferrari wanted an italian driver, when Prost was sacked.
Modena, Capelli, Martini, de Cesaris and Larini were in the running.
Old 5 Jul 2020, 12:09 (Ref:3985795)   #581
S griffin
Veteran

Michael Andretti was rumoured too
Old 5 Jul 2020, 19:39 (Ref:3986041)   #582
Theunser
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Michael Andretti was rumoured too
And if I remember correctly, Keke Rosberg had a meeting with them.
Old 5 Jul 2020, 22:04 (Ref:3986081)   #583
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theunser View Post
And if I remember correctly, Keke Rosberg had a meeting with them.
That was to replace Berger in '89 after his fiery Imola shunt.
Old 6 Jul 2020, 07:34 (Ref:3986137)   #584
S griffin
Veteran

I know Larini was also in talks about replacing Berger. And I think Marco Greco was rumoured to take Larini's Ossela seat as a result. Larini feels Berger came back quicker to stop anyone taking his seat!
Old 6 Jul 2020, 08:35 (Ref:3986165)   #585
S griffin
Veteran

Berger was linked to Sauber and McLaren for 98
Old 6 Jul 2020, 12:51 (Ref:3986238)   #586
Roninho
Racer

Roninho should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
About the earlier post about Unser, I think he was actually linked to Brabham for 85 alongside Piquet, not 86
Are you sure? At the end of '84 Unser Jr. had only won 1 race in Indycar and finish a best of 6th overall. Kind of suprises me he would be in much demand in F1 allready.
Old 6 Jul 2020, 14:08 (Ref:3986259)   #587
S griffin
Veteran

I seem reading about it when Autosport revisited the 84 Austrian GP to make 1000 races in F1
Old 6 Jul 2020, 19:02 (Ref:3986322)   #588
S griffin
Veteran

Senna was in talks with Ferrari on the Wednesday before that fateful weekend at Imola
Old 6 Jul 2020, 21:43 (Ref:3986349)   #589
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Senna was in talks with Ferrari on the Wednesday before that fateful weekend at Imola
He was also in talks with Audi, Ducati and a leading cycle mftr that week.
Old 6 Jul 2020, 21:53 (Ref:3986352)   #590
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
He was also in talks with Audi, Ducati and a leading cycle mftr that week.
Yes, Carraro. As well as TAG Heuer and others.

It makes me wonder how many of these silly season stories are genuine cases of drivers being close to filling a seat, observations of two people who move in the same circles having a conversation, or just wild speculation with no basis?

In 20 years time, will we hear about Vettel having a conversation with Red Bull at the first race in 2020?
Old 6 Jul 2020, 22:37 (Ref:3986355)   #591
S griffin
Veteran

If you don’t like this thread, don’t read it. We are both enjoying about old times and have very reputable sources and good memories thank you
Old 7 Jul 2020, 09:43 (Ref:3986442)   #592
S griffin
Veteran

I remember Hakkinen being linked to a comeback with McLaren for 07, due to him arranging a test, but Hamilton had already signed for the team, just hadn’t been announced yet
Old 7 Jul 2020, 12:58 (Ref:3986486)   #593
Theunser
Racer

Quote:
I know Larini was also in talks about replacing Berger. And I think Marco Greco was rumoured to take Larini's Ossela seat as a result. Larini feels Berger came back quicker to stop anyone taking his seat!
Bertaggia was the one who Osella even tested. They made an offer to JJ Lehto too.
Old 7 Jul 2020, 13:02 (Ref:3986489)   #594
Theunser
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Yes, Carraro. As well as TAG Heuer and others.

It makes me wonder how many of these silly season stories are genuine cases of drivers being close to filling a seat, observations of two people who move in the same circles having a conversation, or just wild speculation with no basis?

In 20 years time, will we hear about Vettel having a conversation with Red Bull at the first race in 2020?
All of my posts have sources, it's not like I made them up or something. Yes, some of them are just gossips, but in most cases there were contacts between teams and drivers.
Old 7 Jul 2020, 13:36 (Ref:3986497)   #595
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
All of my posts have sources [...], some of them are just gossips,
In that case - how can a reader determine if there is any substance to the post if the source or a reference is not provided?

I'm not trying to knock the thread - just to understand if the 'rumours' are credible.

Take my Vettel to Red Bull rumour. There was contact between the team and the driver. But how do we know if there is a genuine rumour about him joining Red Bull, as opposed to a simple piece of gossip?

The key is in the reference material to the link - https://www.express.co.uk/sport/f1-a...1-Ferrari-News
'team principal Christian Horner admits it would be "difficult" to re-sign the Ferrari star.'

Without any source or reference provided, all I am reading are a list of posts that amount to nothing much more than 'Driver A was linked to Team Y in year ###'. If that's what the thread is about, then fine, I'll at least know that there is no value in it for me.
Old 7 Jul 2020, 13:43 (Ref:3986498)   #596
Theunser
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
In that case - how can a reader determine if there is any substance to the post if the source or a reference is not provided?

I'm not trying to knock the thread - just to understand if the 'rumours' are credible.

Take my Vettel to Red Bull rumour. There was contact between the team and the driver. But how do we know if there is a genuine rumour about him joining Red Bull, as opposed to a simple piece of gossip?

The key is in the reference material to the link - https://www.express.co.uk/sport/f1-a...1-Ferrari-News
'team principal Christian Horner admits it would be "difficult" to re-sign the Ferrari star.'

Without any source or reference provided, all I am reading are a list of posts that amount to nothing much more than 'Driver A was linked to Team Y in year ###'. If that's what the thread is about, then fine, I'll at least know that there is no value in it for me.
I understand what you're saying. Now I'll try to post the sources and hopefully this will improve the thread.
Old 7 Jul 2020, 14:53 (Ref:3986520)   #597
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
I understand what you're saying. Now I'll try to post the sources and hopefully this will improve the thread.
Old 7 Jul 2020, 14:56 (Ref:3986521)   #598
S griffin
Veteran

Nothing wrong with this thread, I trust the knowledge. Quite a lot of them I had heard before too
Old 7 Jul 2020, 15:03 (Ref:3986526)   #599
Theunser
Racer

This is an attempt. Please make a feedback if this is the format that you'd like to see.

In the 1988 Spanish Grand Prix rumours circulated that AGS might sign Christian Danner to replace Streiff with the latter moving to Coloni.
Sources:
https://bandeiraverde.com.br/2013/08...a-ags-parte-7/
Actually about this page, I know it's in portuguese, but with Google you can translate it. The site has some amazing, detailed stories.
Old 7 Jul 2020, 15:07 (Ref:3986531)   #600
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
This is an attempt. Please make a feedback if this is the format that you'd like to see.

In the 1988 Spanish Grand Prix rumours circulated that AGS might sign Christian Danner to replace Streiff with the latter moving to Coloni.
Sources:
https://bandeiraverde.com.br/2013/08...a-ags-parte-7/
Actually about this page, I know it's in portuguese, but with Google you can translate it. The site has some amazing, detailed stories.
Thanks.

Just my own personal opinion, but I find a lot more value in that post.
I can see the provenance of the rumour, and appreciate the opportunity to investigate further the story from the time.

I understand that there may be occasions where a source is not available - and still welcome reading about them. It just helps my appreciation of the rumour in the context of a discussion in 2020.