Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 20 Jul 2020, 06:12 (Ref:3989657)   #751
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Here's a new effect of the virus - more pressure on kart tracks since lockdown. The biggest track in the country, PFI, is mandating that certain engines run an extra silencer and Fulbeck next door has taken similar steps. Rissington Kart Club based on an RAF base just south of Stow on the Wold in the Cotswolds has been prevented from re-opening for this year. Negotiations proceed for 2021 but with a new expensive housing estate just outside the gates I'm sure these discussions will be difficult.

It appears that the local population to all these circuits has got used to the peace and quiet. Let's hope it doesn't spread to car venues.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 20 Jul 2020, 06:29 (Ref:3989659)   #752
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Here's a new effect of the virus - more pressure on kart tracks since lockdown. The biggest track in the country, PFI, is mandating that certain engines run an extra silencer and Fulbeck next door has taken similar steps. Rissington Kart Club based on an RAF base just south of Stow on the Wold in the Cotswolds has been prevented from re-opening for this year. Negotiations proceed for 2021 but with a new expensive housing estate just outside the gates I'm sure these discussions will be difficult.

It appears that the local population to all these circuits has got used to the peace and quiet. Let's hope it doesn't spread to car venues.

I have already read complaints about Donington Park on the fb page for residents of Castle Donington, and developers are in the middle of building 850 new houses nearer the circuit, too.
Old 20 Jul 2020, 09:46 (Ref:3989703)   #753
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Exactly what happened in Jarama, Andy, a nice track we could use for 12 hours enduro back in the day. Then the golf course took a lot of importance with new expensive houses built. Many restrictions for the organisers/ competitors followed.
Old 20 Jul 2020, 09:53 (Ref:3989705)   #754
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=midgetman;3989657]Here's a new effect of the virus - more pressure on kart tracks since lockdown. The biggest track in the country, PFI, is mandating that certain engines run an extra silencer and Fulbeck next door has taken similar steps. Rissington Kart Club based on an RAF base just south of Stow on the Wold in the Cotswolds has been prevented from re-opening for this year. Negotiations proceed for 2021 but with a new expensive housing estate just outside the gates I'm sure these discussions will be difficult.

Sorry to contradict you Max but Rissington had a 2 day meeting last weekend, I known cos I was there
Old 20 Jul 2020, 10:32 (Ref:3989710)   #755
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Clerk View Post

Sorry to contradict you Max but Rissington had a 2 day meeting last weekend, I known cos I was there
It seems that the DRS was the last event this year. On their website:

'It is with deep regret to announce that following concerns raised by our landowners we are unable to offer any racing for the remainder of 2020. We are actively working with them to reach a mutual agreement for 2021 and we are hopeful that this will be achieved given the history of over 60 years of working amicably together with our joint tenants.
The support we have received from our members, visiting series, spectators and local residents is incredible and extremely appreciated, and we hope to be able to keep this momentum going whilst under negotiation.
Any monies received through our online system will be refunded in full.
We are extremely sad to have to deliver this message but we are working extremely hard to quickly get the situation resolved.'
Old 20 Jul 2020, 10:53 (Ref:3989717)   #756
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
I've nothing against another set of noise restrictions if it becomes a matter of that or nothing. In many places we have special allowances called "noisy days". At Dijon for instance, no racing cars during lunch time. It makes sense.
Old 20 Jul 2020, 13:01 (Ref:3989734)   #757
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
It seems that the DRS was the last event this year. On their website:

'It is with deep regret to announce that following concerns raised by our landowners we are unable to offer any racing for the remainder of 2020. We are actively working with them to reach a mutual agreement for 2021 and we are hopeful that this will be achieved given the history of over 60 years of working amicably together with our joint tenants.
The support we have received from our members, visiting series, spectators and local residents is incredible and extremely appreciated, and we hope to be able to keep this momentum going whilst under negotiation.
Any monies received through our online system will be refunded in full.
We are extremely sad to have to deliver this message but we are working extremely hard to quickly get the situation resolved.'
Sad news indeed, can't say the DRS Series would have helped much, by having two large speakers outside Race Control blaring 'music?' out for the 2 days.
Hopefully the issues will be resolved as it's a lovely venue.
Old 20 Jul 2020, 16:38 (Ref:3989803)   #758
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
This is not what we wanted to hear. Good to get some racing going, even if it wasn't the best. We'll see if the venue can operate again next year
Old 20 Jul 2020, 17:35 (Ref:3989813)   #759
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Good to get some racing going, even if it wasn't the best.
What was wrong with the racing?
Old 20 Jul 2020, 20:32 (Ref:3989825)   #760
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:

I had forgotten the DRS meeting. They've only just come back into the MSUK fold after a stint of running outside their jurisdiction. I doubt DRS will endear themselves to their new governing body if this is what happens after their first race meeting back.

Old 20 Jul 2020, 21:08 (Ref:3989839)   #761
Mike_Powell
Rookie

Mike_Powell should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMike_Powell should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMike_Powell should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The CSCC have asked for marshal numbers to be reduced for this weekend's Thruxton meeting.
Old 20 Jul 2020, 21:09 (Ref:3989840)   #762
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Rissington Kart Club based on an RAF base just south of Stow on the Wold in the Cotswolds has been prevented from re-opening for this year. Negotiations proceed for 2021 but with a new expensive housing estate just outside the gates I'm sure these discussions will be difficult.
it's interesting because without doxxing myself, i live in a new estate close to a loud and visually... challenging facility. it's simply not even an option to complain about the noise. nobody has tried to encourage others to moan about it. nothing on the town facebook pages suggesting people do so.

that ship sailed when a developer bought the land and planning permission was given.

for what it's worth, the MOD caused some grief elsewhere when they wanted to use a previously mothballed base for some training, kicking well established leisure tenants off for security reasons. it may be that they've decided they want to do some exercises or training there and it's not compatible from a security perspective.
Old 20 Jul 2020, 23:48 (Ref:3989849)   #763
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
it's interesting because without doxxing myself, i live in a new estate close to a loud and visually... challenging facility. it's simply not even an option to complain about the noise. nobody has tried to encourage others to moan about it. nothing on the town facebook pages suggesting people do so.

that ship sailed when a developer bought the land and planning permission was given.
Give it ten years...then the new lawyered up NIMBY arrivals will start making noises about the noise!!!
Old 20 Jul 2020, 23:50 (Ref:3989851)   #764
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I hope we don’t see anymore of those NIMBYs. It’s bad enough how some circuits have been slightly affected by those people
Old 21 Jul 2020, 00:15 (Ref:3989852)   #765
S griffin
Veteran

Really if you don’t like the sound of racing cars, don’t move there. Don’t ruin it for others
Old 21 Jul 2020, 05:50 (Ref:3989862)   #766
midgetman
Veteran

Guys for the record I never said the new housing estate was the reason for the closure. I just said the negotiations for re-opening would be difficult. I don't know why the track was prevented from running events for the rest of this year.

Old 21 Jul 2020, 06:12 (Ref:3989866)   #767
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Guys for the record I never said the new housing estate was the reason for the closure. I just said the negotiations for re-opening would be difficult. I don't know why the track was prevented from running events for the rest of this year.

True, I think some assumptions have been reached.

From their statement:

'The support we have received from [...] local residents is incredible and extremely appreciated,'
Old 21 Jul 2020, 06:53 (Ref:3989869)   #768
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
Let's not fall into the trap of demonising residents while casting a blind eye at our own failings.

Example - queuing to get to a CSCC Silverstone meeting at Silverstone I got caught up in Japfest traffic. It was 7-30 am , on Sunday and - IN THE VILLAGE - a pack of silly young men in pimped up Skylines etc were trying to out compete each other by pumping up the stereo and holding the engines on the rev limiter . It was appalling , and if I'd lived there I'd have rung Silverstone to complain, and then the police to confess that I'd just put a paving slab through a GTR's windscreen .

Left a bike meeting recently? It's a God given opportunity to share with locals the sound of your illegal race cans at 12,000rpm.

Track days , rare 30 years ago , are now run day after day - that's what caused the biggest problem at Croft and Mallory .

Seen the litter in and around a circuit after a BTCC meeting ? It's an utter disgrace

Nobody loves the sound of racing engines more than me , as my damaged hearing bears witness , but sometimes we really do not help our case do we ?
Old 21 Jul 2020, 07:47 (Ref:3989885)   #769
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
The best driver in the world?

The person who has just left a race meeting and nails the apex of every junction/roundabout on their way home.....
Old 21 Jul 2020, 08:37 (Ref:3989897)   #770
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Nice avatar, Malcolm…
Not all the residents have been complaining over the years, we've always appreciated the commitment of the neighbors at Spa when using the long track. They had to stand the closure of their gardens by guard rails, several trucks supplying food, drinks and other stuff prior to the 24 hours or 1000 kilomètres. The Belgians love cars, cheers to that. Dont expect the same thing to happen in France…
Old 21 Jul 2020, 08:48 (Ref:3989902)   #771
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Really if you don’t like the sound of racing cars, don’t move there. Don’t ruin it for others
I absolutely agree with this. And I live v near Donington Park. However only this week on another forum, someone was asking where the noise monitors were at DP so they could short shift near them but get back on it during the rest of the lap. They knew their car was too loud for the day but wanted to circumvent the rules.
It is fine to tell people not to move near a race track. But it is also fine to tell people not to be a pr**k and cause a noise nuisance for 80% of a lap. It does annoy the neighbours and it could threaten the existence of our sport in the future.
The track noise limits are for the whole of the track, not just for the 30 yards either side of the noise meters. As participants we do have a responsibility to understand the rules and comply with them for the long term good of our sport.
Old 21 Jul 2020, 11:08 (Ref:3989947)   #772
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
Quote:

The information I had was that it was the MOD causing the issues.
Old 21 Jul 2020, 11:11 (Ref:3989948)   #773
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Nice avatar, Malcolm…
Not all the residents have been complaining over the years, we've always appreciated the commitment of the neighbors at Spa when using the long track. They had to stand the closure of their gardens by guard rails, several trucks supplying food, drinks and other stuff prior to the 24 hours or 1000 kilomètres. The Belgians love cars, cheers to that. Dont expect the same thing to happen in France…
As with Mt Panorama at Bathurst, the upmarket housing occupants who access from what is a public road normally, either have to escape early and disappear for the day or settle in and enjoy.
Old 21 Jul 2020, 11:35 (Ref:3989953)   #774
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
The information I had was that it was the MOD causing the issues.
As I understand it, the MOD have made the decision to not allow the Karting activities during the current restrictions.
This is, in part, due to the need for the MOD to make all of its premises COVID-safe. They are also under pressure to use/make available a lot of land for COVID-based activities. If Rissington is one of those locations identified, then it's unfortunate but inevitable that other activities will be restricted.

To jump to the conclusion that local residents have caused a problem is not only unfair, but also runs the risk of causing animosity where non exists already. I'm sure those involved with Rissington Kart Club would not want their relationship with the local community to suffer due to idle speculation and assumption.
Old 28 Jul 2020, 10:42 (Ref:3991215)   #775
Tanker62M
Rookie

Tanker62M should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah, it's better to avoid scandals and confrontations with local communities over misconceptions, the times are hard for the sport, and it'd be better not to take risks and cause it more issues!
Sure, waiting is hard, but if it allows the sport to keep existing and not be the target of petitions and other demonstrations, then it's worth it.