1 3 9.38%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old 27 Jul 2020, 14:32 (Ref:3991052)   #51
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Why?
IIRC, it was to try and 'spice up' Q2. The intention is that some teams might run through Q2 on the optimal tyre to start the race, even if it is the slowest compound available. On the other hand, another team might stick on the fastest tyre to get into Q3, knowing that they are compromising the race strategy in return for track position.

The intended outcome was a mixed up grid, where the fastest teams were in the middle of the pack, whereas slower cars were higher up the grid.

Mercedes are the biggest problem with that plan; when they have the ability to get through Q2 using a set of dog chews as tyres, they are comfortable in putting their preferred compound on in Q2 and still not stressing the tyres too much.
Old 27 Jul 2020, 14:35 (Ref:3991053)   #52
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Renault Formula 1 team boss Cyril Abiteboul has slammed the "stupid" rule that obliges drivers to start races on tyres used in Q2.

'A plan to drop the Q2 tyre rule was discussed by the F1 Strategy Group, but because the April 30 deadline for 2020 sporting regulation changes had passed, unanimity was required.'

For F1 Strategy Group, read F1 gimmick development forum.....
Old 27 Jul 2020, 15:54 (Ref:3991064)   #53
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
IIRC, it was to try and 'spice up' Q2. The intention is that some teams might run through Q2 on the optimal tyre to start the race, even if it is the slowest compound available. On the other hand, another team might stick on the fastest tyre to get into Q3, knowing that they are compromising the race strategy in return for track position.

The intended outcome was a mixed up grid, where the fastest teams were in the middle of the pack, whereas slower cars were higher up the grid.

Mercedes are the biggest problem with that plan; when they have the ability to get through Q2 using a set of dog chews as tyres, they are comfortable in putting their preferred compound on in Q2 and still not stressing the tyres too much.
That's quite contrived in itself.
Old 27 Jul 2020, 16:05 (Ref:3991067)   #54
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
That's quite contrived in itself.
I think it's become the norm for F1.

Come up with an idea to make things more entertaining. Then introduce further modifications and complications to make the 'interesting' actually be interesting.
Then when fans are no longer interested, throw a crazy idea out to make things more interesting. Fans revolt, so you go back to the previous interesting solution that wasn't that interesting in the first place.

Grooved tyres anyone?
Old 27 Jul 2020, 16:43 (Ref:3991078)   #55
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
No. Just great big fat ones!
Old 27 Jul 2020, 16:43 (Ref:3991079)   #56
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

Come up with an idea to make things more entertaining. Then introduce further modifications and complications to make the 'interesting' actually be interesting.
Then when fans are no longer interested, throw a crazy idea out to make things more interesting. Fans revolt, so you go back to the previous interesting solution that wasn't that interesting in the first place.

Grooved tyres anyone?
That's F1 to a T.

What about groovy colored tyres, like Benetton used at Detroit in '86
Old 27 Jul 2020, 16:44 (Ref:3991080)   #57
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

Grooved tyres anyone?
if only there was a way to test ideas out in real world settings so that the advantages and disadvantages could be worked out and rules refined before implementation!
Old 27 Jul 2020, 16:59 (Ref:3991084)   #58
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
if only there was a way to test ideas out in real world settings so that the advantages and disadvantages could be worked out and rules refined before implementation!
A non-championship race or races might be the place to test out ideas.
Old 27 Jul 2020, 17:30 (Ref:3991096)   #59
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
A non-championship race or races might be the place to test out ideas.
that would be great but i dont know if the economics of hosting a GP weekend justifies that event not being part of the championship.

if there was a way to run older F1 cars in F2 maybe that could be a suitable platform? post budget cap, maybe that becomes something more feasible to do on an F2 budget.
Old 27 Jul 2020, 17:41 (Ref:3991100)   #60
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
that would be great but i dont know if the economics of hosting a GP weekend justifies that event not being part of the championship.

if there was a way to run older F1 cars in F2 maybe that could be a suitable platform? post budget cap, maybe that becomes something more feasible to do on an F2 budget.
The only time the teams get together, apart from a GP, is pre-season testing. Maybe a 40 lap race could be incorporated and some of these ideas tried out? It would also give the teams a chance to test their latest innovations under race conditions, before the season starts. The data would be very useful.
Old 27 Jul 2020, 17:46 (Ref:3991103)   #61
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
Quote:
The only time the teams get together, apart from a GP, is pre-season testing. Maybe a 40 lap race could be incorporated and some of these ideas tried out?

at the least that would make for much better TV then a regular winter testing program.

let them plod around in the morning but in the afternoon run an 'experimental' race and broadcast it on their app...take my money please!
Old 27 Jul 2020, 17:51 (Ref:3991105)   #62
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:

at the least that would make for much better TV then a regular winter testing program.

let them plod around in the morning but in the afternoon run an 'experimental' race and broadcast it on their app...take my money please!
As a race fan I would certainly watch that, seeing the new cars, innovations on the track before the season proper.
Old 27 Jul 2020, 20:48 (Ref:3991129)   #63
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I would rather they had some of those lesser GPs non-championship or at least new GPs. Although I can understand you wanting to see the new cars race in anger as soon as. But would it decrease the tension before the first race if we did?
Old 27 Jul 2020, 23:29 (Ref:3991151)   #64
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
I would rather they had some of those lesser GPs non-championship or at least new GPs. Although I can understand you wanting to see the new cars race in anger as soon as. But would it decrease the tension before the first race if we did?
Surely, if a lesser GP or a new GP became a non-championship race, it would lose its GP status? The purpose of having a non-championship race, as part of pre-season testing, would be to evaluate the cars under race conditions, as well as trying out things like reverse grids.

I'm quite happy to see the new cars race in anger, as soon as it's lights out at the first GP.
Old 28 Jul 2020, 16:57 (Ref:3991268)   #65
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
if the new ideas they try out actually prove successful/entertaining, then for sure, by comparison, that may affect the first official race of the season...more so if the opener proves processional.

at the end of the season during the young driver/Pirelli tests they now do the week after Abu Dhabi could be an option?

although i guess Pirelli and those evaluating new talent would want to eliminate as many variables as possible in order to allow for more usable data.

personally i dont see what is wrong with a one off race format happening during the season...particularity as they continue to push towards 25 races per seasons.

we are already accustomed to different venues providing different challenges. circuits vs street courses, altitude or temperature differences, clockwise vs counter clockwise tracks etc etc. for me it follows that format changes is the next logical stop in offering challenges and variety that F1 already applies to its competition model.
Old 29 Jul 2020, 23:22 (Ref:3991526)   #66
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
I would like to see them run some GPs in a two heat format like WSB.
Old 31 Jul 2020, 16:01 (Ref:3991894)   #67
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
You mean with a qualifying race in the middle?
Old 1 Aug 2020, 02:15 (Ref:3991992)   #68
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
You mean with a qualifying race in the middle?
No, run the qualifying race on Saturday, and then run the Grand Prix as 2 heats.
Old 1 Aug 2020, 09:25 (Ref:3992023)   #69
S griffin
Veteran

There have been plans for qualifying races in the past, including one where the grids are decided by lottery. The idea was that there would be two races, one on Friday, the other on Saturday and the positions that were drawn would be reversed on Saturday and the driver with the best score from the two races would start on pole. Would have been fun