Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Closed Thread

Old 22 Jul 2020, 06:33 (Ref:3990105)   #276
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Supercars Gen 3 (2022)

Supercars are in a pickle. The current cars are unsustainable in today’s financial climate (and that was before Covid) but nobody can afford to get rid of them in favour of something more economical because the investment made in the current cars is so high. And besides Super 2/3 there’s no real market for the cars. What a mess..

Gen3 should’ve happened five years ago
Old 22 Jul 2020, 07:31 (Ref:3990113)   #277
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
I doubt we’ll see Gen3 anytime soon, who can afford it?
Probably right, unless Gen 3 is somehow magically a lot cheaper than the current cars. #Unlikely

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich07 View Post

Gen3 should’ve happened five years ago
Exactly right.
Old 23 Jul 2020, 01:51 (Ref:3990294)   #278
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem View Post
Probably right, unless Gen 3 is somehow magically a lot cheaper than the current cars. #Unlikely

Exactly right.
Even if Gen3 is heaps cheaper, there I still the problem of throwing all the current gear out, for the second time in ten years.....
Old 23 Jul 2020, 03:27 (Ref:3990296)   #279
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Even if Gen3 is heaps cheaper, there I still the problem of throwing all the current gear out, for the second time in ten years.....
Yet as a "non-professional sport, ran out of a blokes garage" doing so every 3 to 5 years what not unusual.

Even less for some.

Just look at Murray Carter for the 10 years from 1979 to 1988.

Three times the rules changes rendering his current car ineligible and off his own bat changed cars an additional two times (Falcon to Mazda and then Skyline to Sierra)

The pro teams of today have stability in regulations the men of Carter's era could only dream of.
Old 23 Jul 2020, 05:30 (Ref:3990298)   #280
bludvl_x19
Veteran

Australia
umop apisdn
bludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chavez View Post
Yet as a "non-professional sport, ran out of a blokes garage" doing so every 3 to 5 years what not unusual.

Even less for some.

Three times the rules changes rendering his current car ineligible and off his own bat changed cars an additional two times (Falcon to Mazda and then Skyline to Sierra)

The pro teams of today have stability in regulations the men of Carter's era could only dream of.

Not to mention that Supercars have created a market to sell their cars. Back in the Group C & A days, cars got sold and became sports sedans, or scrap....
Old 23 Jul 2020, 07:53 (Ref:3990310)   #281
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Even less for some.

Very true

But Dick Johnson was once quoted as saying part of the reason for forming the first iteration of the entrants group in 1989, TEG, was that the teams didn’t like how their Group C cars were rendered redundant over night by CAMS with the switch to Group A....

Under the teams own watch now though they seemingly will make their own equipment redundant twice in less than ten years, and they can’t blame CAMS/Motorsport Australia this time.... at least CAMS listened and grandfathered some Group A cars into the new 1993 rules
Old 23 Jul 2020, 10:22 (Ref:3990333)   #282
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
at least CAMS listened and grandfathered some Group A cars into the new 1993 rules
Why didn't they just put V8s in the Sierras? Would have saved a lot of money compared to this Falcon business.

[The Sierra XR8 was a homologation special built by Ford for the South Africa Touring Car Championship. ]

They could've put a V8 in the E30 BMW too for that matter...

Last edited by V8 Fireworks; 23 Jul 2020 at 10:28.
Old 24 Jul 2020, 00:42 (Ref:3990506)   #283
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Very true

But Dick Johnson was once quoted as saying part of the reason for forming the first iteration of the entrants group in 1989, TEG, was that the teams didn’t like how their Group C cars were rendered redundant over night by CAMS with the switch to Group A....

Under the teams own watch now though they seemingly will make their own equipment redundant twice in less than ten years, and they can’t blame CAMS/Motorsport Australia this time.... at least CAMS listened and grandfathered some Group A cars into the new 1993 rules
The point you've neglected to include in your reference to Dick Johnson (and the other teams at the time) is that the change was made without the competitors being part of the decision making process - the TEG, then TEGA, then AVESCO, now Supercars structure is that the teams are a key part of the decision making process.

This time IF the current cars ARE made redundant (which may not be the case at all) it will be with the teams very much part of the planning and they'll be able to make longer-term judgements accordingly.
Old 24 Jul 2020, 04:58 (Ref:3990516)   #284
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I can't help thinking that something in the TA2 style is the right way to go.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
Old 24 Jul 2020, 06:10 (Ref:3990520)   #285
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
I can't help thinking that something in the TA2 style is the right way to go.
You don't suppose the 4-speed gearbox, live rear axle and steel wheels are too anachronistic for the modern world?

Especially when NASCAR, the champions of that kind of thing, are moving the other way to a modern 6-speed sequential, centre lock alloy wheels and so on?
Old 27 Jul 2020, 03:26 (Ref:3990948)   #286
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
He said "in the style of", not incorporate wholly and solely.
Old 27 Jul 2020, 10:09 (Ref:3991002)   #287
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Really I wonder now if Gen 3 will go ahead as was planned. But maybe they will use some bits from it and mix it with the current spec. That could work
Old 27 Jul 2020, 17:32 (Ref:3991099)   #288
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Really I wonder now if Gen 3 will go ahead as was planned. But maybe they will use some bits from it and mix it with the current spec. That could work
So they are never going to lower the rollhoop of the Mustang or put the A-pillar in the right spot (further back)?
Old 27 Jul 2020, 23:51 (Ref:3991154)   #289
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post
So they are never going to lower the rollhoop of the Mustang or put the A-pillar in the right spot (further back)?
He didn't say that - "some bits" would logically involve those items you mention - particularly if Camaro IS still an option.
Old 28 Jul 2020, 10:24 (Ref:3991212)   #290
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
If you combine the best things from the two, that should work. No doubt the technical people would work out best what that is. Would be good to see the Camaro out there, but it all depends on how much they can afford to throw at it. Either way, I am sure the series can recover in time
Old 29 Jul 2020, 22:24 (Ref:3991522)   #291
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

Speaking of NASCAR and Gen 3, could the electric Mustang SUV on the left form the basis of Supercars Gen 3? The Mustang electric SUV race car certainly looks the part, albeit it's enormous compared to the Mustang coupe version stock car on the right.

It's clear that Ford are passionate about electric SUV Mustangs, but furthermore electric SUV racing would also be the best way to attract additional manufacturers too.

Potentially you could attract Volvo and Volkswagen who have both committed to only support electric motor racing, while Jaguar, Mercedes and Audi all have electric SUVs too.

Of course, maintaining the existing 635hp and 1400kg is obligatory, but could be a problem if the range is meant to be any more than about 2 laps...

Last edited by V8 Fireworks; 29 Jul 2020 at 22:43.
Old 30 Jul 2020, 07:28 (Ref:3991559)   #292
ford71
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide
ford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
The Mustang electric SUV race car certainly looks the part
Doesn't look like anything I want to be part of
Old 30 Jul 2020, 07:54 (Ref:3991565)   #293
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've got a feeling SUVs don't really belong to motorsport...
Old 30 Jul 2020, 08:52 (Ref:3991577)   #294
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt K View Post
Us fans are not going to like the changes filtering into motor sport, that much is obvious. Sedans are a dying breed, most probably extinct within the next decade apart from a few upmarket vehicles so I don't know what we will be watching or racing instead. At the same time electric/hybrid vehicles are being force fed into the market by manufacturers having to meet regulatory design and emission rules so what you and I want to see on a race track means nothing. It sure will be interesting to see what comes out of all this as far as motor sport goes. I have said it before, elctric vehicles are actually ideal from a cost POV because it takes away the enormous drive line costs and removes the costs of chasing incremental power improvements in IC motors.
Old 30 Jul 2020, 09:31 (Ref:3991586)   #295
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt K View Post
They already have 'sport' in their name.

Just need to call the track versions MSUVs and it's sorted.....
Old 30 Jul 2020, 12:55 (Ref:3991646)   #296
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
You don't suppose the 4-speed gearbox, live rear axle and steel wheels are too anachronistic for the modern world?

Especially when NASCAR, the champions of that kind of thing, are moving the other way to a modern 6-speed sequential, centre lock alloy wheels and so on?
There is a version of TA2 - I think for Mexico and Thailand - that has a sequential gearbox. So that seems to be an issue that can be overcome - as are the steel wheels.
Old 30 Jul 2020, 15:45 (Ref:3991672)   #297
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
There is a version of TA2 - I think for Mexico and Thailand - that has a sequential gearbox. So that seems to be an issue that can be overcome - as are the steel wheels.
I suspect once you add all the gubbins that V8 Supercar teams want like independent suspension (or bring back the 888 fabricated truss live axle), a leg protection tray, wheel arch liner (carbon fibre of course), radiator ducting (carbon fibre of course), onboard air jacks, data logging, driver cooling system, adjustable brake bias, driver adjustable sway bars et al. they will cost the same as the current Supercars... :/

As far as I can tell, the only reason TA2 cars are cheap is because they have almost no features.

Last edited by V8 Fireworks; 30 Jul 2020 at 15:53.
Old 30 Jul 2020, 17:39 (Ref:3991692)   #298
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:

As far as I can tell, the only reason TA2 cars are cheap is because they have almost no features.
I guess economies of scale also play a role, especially since Howe can also tap into the grassrootish end of the US-oval-racing-market for many of their components.
Old 2 Aug 2020, 08:35 (Ref:3992223)   #299
2 litre Touring Car Star
Veteran

Australia
2 litre Touring Car Star User had had their licence endorsed2 litre Touring Car Star User had had their licence endorsed
You can have any regs you want. Under superfranchise racing, the costs will go through the roof.

A shopping trolley with a 5 litre V8 wedged in it will be $300k .
Old 2 Aug 2020, 08:47 (Ref:3992226)   #300
2 litre Touring Car Star
Veteran

Australia
2 litre Touring Car Star User had had their licence endorsed2 litre Touring Car Star User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:

Even less for some.

What's the big deal about "stability"?

Murray Carter raced and change cars off his own free will, for his own purposes. He wasn't forced to buy a car or at a particular price. He wasn't fined for not attending meetings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
The point you've neglected to include in your reference to Dick Johnson (and the other teams at the time) is that the change was made without the competitors being part of the decision making process - the TEG, then TEGA, then AVESCO, now Supercars structure is that the teams are a key part of the decision making process.

This time IF the current cars ARE made redundant (which may not be the case at all) it will be with the teams very much part of the planning and they'll be able to make longer-term judgements accordingly.
Yeah, supercars are a clique. I said it on other threads. They will make decisions only for their own benefit, even if it's not in the best interests of motor racing in Australia overall.
Closed Thread