Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 21 Oct 2019, 02:38 (Ref:3935977)   #1801
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Champion Porsche/Audi territory
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
McLaren's 5 year deal with Petrobras is coming to a very sudden end.
Talk about slippery nipples......

jimclark
Old 29 Nov 2019, 16:59 (Ref:3943714)   #1802
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
According to Autosport, BAT branding to increase significantly for 2020 season.....

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/14...4552-114440867
Old 29 Nov 2019, 19:36 (Ref:3943735)   #1803
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
so basically a big deal will be made about it during the launch and winter testing but as soon as they get to Australia the Crown will file some sort law suit and there will be a modified/more subtle livery going forward.

big tobacco gets its publicity, the team gets much needed sponsorship money, and some fans will buy the 'cool' team kit before the kit is changed.

if im being honest i think this is as good compromise as we are ever going to get. cant pretend that cig companies dont have a long and important part to play in motor sports history and teams need the money.

and frankly in this day and age, if you want to smoke you do so fully knowing the health consequences then you probably should be allowed to (as long as there are no other humans around you) and the sport should be allowed to benefit from the proceeds of those choices.
Old 29 Nov 2019, 21:24 (Ref:3943759)   #1804
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
so basically a big deal will be made about it during the launch and winter testing but as soon as they get to Australia the Crown will file some sort law suit and there will be a modified/more subtle livery going forward.

big tobacco gets its publicity, the team gets much needed sponsorship money, and some fans will buy the 'cool' team kit before the kit is changed.

if im being honest i think this is as good compromise as we are ever going to get. cant pretend that cig companies dont have a long and important part to play in motor sports history and teams need the money.

and frankly in this day and age, if you want to smoke you do so fully knowing the health consequences then you probably should be allowed to (as long as there are no other humans around you) and the sport should be allowed to benefit from the proceeds of those choices.
How dare you bring logic and reasoning in to the argument. Don't you know kids are still stupid no matter how much we're told kids today are brilliant by their parents, and any advertising will convince kids to smoke, or vape. Except I remember as a kid doing usually the opposite of what I was told. But often the ban ads, product,etc people in the US are also the idiots that say road speed will decrease with decreased limits. The roads already average faster speeds than the limit, lowering the limit just means speeders are more over the limit, they won't slow. And tobacco won't go away, less common yes, away? Doubtful.
Old 29 Nov 2019, 21:37 (Ref:3943764)   #1805
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
According to the FT, BAT are to increase investment in e-cigarettes. This couldn't have come at a better time for McLaren.

https://www.ft.com/content/4b258fba-...9-fdcab53d6959
Old 2 Dec 2019, 16:34 (Ref:3944327)   #1806
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
some extenuating circumstances (RB driver swap) but Sainz's finishing 6th on the drivers table is a massive accomplishment for the team. more so given the rash of bad results he had to begin the season with.
Old 2 Dec 2019, 17:46 (Ref:3944341)   #1807
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
There's still away to go but so far I'm impressed and pleased McLaren have been able to turn things round. Bringing in Andreas Seidl, as Team Principle has made a huge difference and they have great find in Lando Norris

Last edited by bjohnsonsmith; 2 Dec 2019 at 17:54.
Old 2 Dec 2019, 22:30 (Ref:3944405)   #1808
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Typical of Fred’s luck though. He leaves and suddenly they become good!
Old 2 Dec 2019, 22:37 (Ref:3944409)   #1809
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Maybe it’s not luck...
Old 2 Dec 2019, 23:27 (Ref:3944417)   #1810
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
Maybe it’s not luck...
You're right. He's just cursed with F1.
Old 3 Dec 2019, 08:47 (Ref:3944465)   #1811
bathurst77
Veteran

Australia
Biding my time in Vandemonia
bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!
Im really curious to see how BAT will get round the ban
Im sure between F1 and BAT they have some very clever lawyers and marketing people.
This will be interesting
Old 3 Dec 2019, 08:48 (Ref:3944466)   #1812
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Maybe using vape or e cig sponsorship like some do
Old 8 Jan 2020, 16:13 (Ref:3950440)   #1813
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Management structure changes at McLaren. All sounds logical to me.......

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/50977329
Old 10 Jan 2020, 16:08 (Ref:3950864)   #1814
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
sounds more than reasonable to me and encouraged that they will have the right system in place once they switch back to the Merc engines and the new economic formula sets in.

just having posted in the Williams thread, i have to say the (so far) success Mclaren has had rebuilding/restructuring gives me hope that Williams can also come back.
Old 10 Jan 2020, 18:35 (Ref:3950902)   #1815
S griffin
Veteran

Problem is they’ve been through quite a few changes in recent seasons. Would like to see some stability
Old 11 Jan 2020, 04:13 (Ref:3950968)   #1816
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Wrong post.

Last edited by wnut; 11 Jan 2020 at 04:29.
Old 11 Jan 2020, 16:17 (Ref:3951031)   #1817
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Riiight
Old 28 Jul 2020, 14:42 (Ref:3991252)   #1818
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
This should be a good boost for them

Gulf will be there new big ticket sponsor.
Old 28 Jul 2020, 15:00 (Ref:3991254)   #1819
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
This should be a good boost for them

Gulf will be there new big ticket sponsor.
I'm reserving judgement on quite how big a ticket it will be.

A couple of logos on the wing mirror and engine cover doesn't sound like a major boost (IMO).

Spot the logo:

Old 28 Jul 2020, 16:32 (Ref:3991266)   #1820
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
i am looking forward to seeing those logos feature on new Mclaren kit though!

curious of the extent they will be technical partners or not given that Mclaren are going back to Merc next year.
Old 28 Jul 2020, 16:41 (Ref:3991267)   #1821
S griffin
Veteran

I wonder how much of the Gulf livery we’ll see if at all. Depends how much money they are pouring in

Next season will be all different, but with the switch to Mercedes there are a few questions to be answered. Who knows how this partnership will work?
Old 28 Jul 2020, 18:24 (Ref:3991277)   #1822
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
I wonder how much of the Gulf livery we’ll see if at all. Depends how much money they are pouring in

Next season will be all different, but with the switch to Mercedes there are a few questions to be answered. Who knows how this partnership will work?
If you check back a few posts, you'll see it's already been confirmed as logos on the engine covers and wing mirrors. So in answer to the question of how much of the Gulf livery we'll see - the answer is nil.

'Gulf branding will also appear on the engine covers and wing mirrors of the McLaren MCL35 race cars.'

They also tell you how the partnership will work in the article. It's a (very minor) amount of branding on the F1 cars, and is all focussed on the road-car division:
'“Every supercar will have Gulf fuel and lubricants when it leaves the McLaren Production Centre and I know our customers will be thrilled to be able to work with our in-house bespoke team on the option of being one of the few to be able to personalise their McLaren supercar in the iconic Gulf livery.”

Sometimes it really helps to read what has been published already - a lot of the wondering can be avoided in advance.

In summary - it's a partnership that makes Gulf lubricants and fuels the 'preferred option' in the road cars, and a couple of logos slapped onto a bit of spare space for the F1 team.
Old 28 Jul 2020, 18:27 (Ref:3991278)   #1823
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
curious of the extent they will be technical partners or not given that Mclaren are going back to Merc next year.
There's no technical partnership with the F1 operation announced as part of the deal.

F1 is the marketing arm, Automotive is the technical arm.
Old 28 Jul 2020, 19:19 (Ref:3991291)   #1824
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
I'm reserving judgement on quite how big a ticket it will be.

A couple of logos on the wing mirror and engine cover doesn't sound like a major boost (IMO).

Spot the logo:

The livery in that photo is orange and blue enough. When McLaren raced in Can Am, the Gulf logo was noticeable but not that prominent.

Old 28 Jul 2020, 19:28 (Ref:3991292)   #1825
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
The livery in that photo is orange and blue enough. When McLaren raced in Can Am, the Gulf logo was noticeable but not that prominent.

F25C00/C9DFEC is not F98E1D/2A52BE