Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 29 Jul 2020, 18:01 (Ref:3991463)   #26
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
i wonder if that goes for barnds next week as well
Old 29 Jul 2020, 18:04 (Ref:3991465)   #27
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Alternate link for those without Facebook
https://news.donington-park.co.uk/ms...gton-park.aspx
Old 29 Jul 2020, 18:06 (Ref:3991466)   #28
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Unfortunately that link doesn’t work, so I can’t tell if the story is true or not lol
Old 29 Jul 2020, 18:21 (Ref:3991473)   #29
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Unfortunately that link doesn’t work, so I can’t tell if the story is true or not lol
Works for me but here you go

Quote:
NO SPECTATORS AT THIS WEEKEND’S BTCC ROUND AT DONINGTON PARK

[https://news]

Wednesday, July 29 2020

We are incredibly disappointed to inform BTCC fans that we will be unable to allow spectators or season pass holders to attend this weekend's (1/2 August) British Touring Car event at Donington Park after all.

MSV has been allowing the safe return of a modest number of spectators to its race events since 11 July, with a comprehensive range of measures in place to comply with government COVID-Secure guidelines. These race meetings have all run extremely successfully, with much positive feedback from visitors.

We have worked closely with North West Leicestershire District Council and Leicestershire County Council on our plans to welcome spectators to the BTCC event this weekend. A multi-agency Safety Advisory Group approved MSV's Covid-Secure policies and confirmed its support for our plans for the opening round of BTCC at Donington Park. This approval was subject only to the Department for Digital, Culture, Media & Sport (DCMS) being satisfied that BTCC is not elite sport. Regrettably, following consultation, DCMS has confirmed today that this is not the case.

This decision has nothing to do with MSV's comprehensive Covid-Secure procedures for keeping our customers and staff safe, but requires that an event including a round of BTCC, as the leading car championship in the UK, must follow the government's five stage elite sport pathway with spectators presently unable to attend.

The majority of our race meetings fall outside of this definition and are unaffected. We are clarifying the position for other BTCC events on MSV circuits and will communicate an update soon.

We fully understand and support the need to have clear policies in place for the reintroduction of spectators to sports such as Premier League football and Rugby League that tend to attract huge crowds, mostly in stadiums, and typically rely on public transport. By contrast, circuit venues are by their very nature wide-open spaces, and have ample room to enable social distancing across dozens of spectator viewing areas. We are therefore very disappointed and frustrated by this turn of events, and are so sorry for the inconvenience this decision will cause to the fans we were expecting to welcome this weekend.

Please do not contact us regarding your booking, as we will be in touch in the coming days with everyone affected (including season pass holders).
Old 29 Jul 2020, 18:25 (Ref:3991476)   #30
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
So brands could still be OK, fingers crossed
Old 29 Jul 2020, 18:33 (Ref:3991478)   #31
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
So brands could still be OK, fingers crossed
If BTCC is classified as Elite Sport this week, what makes you think that will change by next week?
Old 29 Jul 2020, 18:37 (Ref:3991479)   #32
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
If BTCC is classified as Elite Sport this week, what makes you think that will change by next week?
The MSV note posted above
Old 29 Jul 2020, 18:51 (Ref:3991483)   #33
thetool
Veteran

thetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
The MSV note posted above
I think you are somewhat wilfully misinterpreting their statement. There is no reason to think any other round of the BTCC will be considered different to Donington Park.

You'll have to wait until either a) the guidance for spectators at elite sports events changes or b) the BTCC is re-evaluated as not being an elite event.
Old 29 Jul 2020, 18:56 (Ref:3991484)   #34
mark_l
Veteran

England
mark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetool View Post
I think you are somewhat wilfully misinterpreting their statement. There is no reason to think any other round of the BTCC will be considered different to Donington Park.

You'll have to wait until either a) the guidance for spectators at elite sports events changes or b) the BTCC is re-evaluated as not being an elite event.
If the standard of driving is up to the usual standard then it certainly won't be classed as elite.
Old 29 Jul 2020, 18:59 (Ref:3991485)   #35
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
don't really understand how that's classified as elite but british f3/gt isn't. btcc has gentleman racers mixing it with the yoof too

still, i suppose it's yet another demonstration of how everyone is learning on the hoof with this pandemic. even government.
Old 29 Jul 2020, 19:05 (Ref:3991486)   #36
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
Well if Professional Cricket is allowing some spectators attend then why not the BTCC, Ruddy annoying that outdoor activities that can easily be social distanced by limiting numbers are being picked on.
Old 29 Jul 2020, 19:13 (Ref:3991488)   #37
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
don't really understand how that's classified as elite but british f3/gt isn't. btcc has gentleman racers mixing it with the yoof too

still, i suppose it's yet another demonstration of how everyone is learning on the hoof with this pandemic. even government.
Quote:
Well if Professional Cricket is allowing some spectators attend then why not the BTCC, Ruddy annoying that outdoor activities that can easily be social distanced by limiting numbers are being picked on.
It's just a guess, but I wonder if some of the decision comes down to the status of governing body and regulation hierarchy?

TOCA is the highest level of governance for the BTCC, and there is no higher international series running to NGTC regs.
SRO is the governing body for many international series, which run to the same regulations as British GT. So British GT would not be seen (by the UK Govt) as being at the top of that category's hierarchy of competition.

Similarly for professional cricket - in the UK, the national series is not the top of the hierarchy.

The 'professionalism' of a sport is not the factor, but where it sits in the global hierarchy.
Old 29 Jul 2020, 19:13 (Ref:3991489)   #38
redshoes
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
Me neither. I assume it's due to BTCC's 'manufacturer' teams and 'professional' drivers, or at least the perception that such things exist.

I reality we can't expect non-motorsport fans and random government departments to understand the nuisances of different series.
Old 29 Jul 2020, 19:40 (Ref:3991492)   #39
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
Me neither. I assume it's due to BTCC's 'manufacturer' teams and 'professional' drivers, or at least the perception that such things exist.

I reality we can't expect non-motorsport fans and random government departments to understand the nuisances of different series.
"nuisances" - perfect

I did know what you meant!

Are they simply classifying "elite" as "likely to attract N thousand spectators", i.e. "really popular"?
Old 29 Jul 2020, 20:12 (Ref:3991499)   #40
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
when was last time we had a Plato free BTCC season ?
Old 29 Jul 2020, 20:16 (Ref:3991501)   #41
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche962fan View Post
when was last time we had a Plato free BTCC season ?
Old 29 Jul 2020, 20:54 (Ref:3991507)   #42
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
"nuisances" - perfect

I did know what you meant!

Are they simply classifying "elite" as "likely to attract N thousand spectators", i.e. "really popular"?
I think there are other factors:

- BTCC is without question the most important championship in the UK (as the BSB is on two wheels)
- BTCC has significant live TV coverage (as BSB does)
- BTCC gets the biggest crowds of any national championship
Old 29 Jul 2020, 21:01 (Ref:3991509)   #43
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
Oh well we will just have to watch it on itv4
Old 29 Jul 2020, 21:06 (Ref:3991510)   #44
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Only about 4 people go to cricket.

Football no fans until at least October.
Old 29 Jul 2020, 21:11 (Ref:3991512)   #45
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
Hey, there were quite a few more than that watching Kent last season, ok not a lot more but some of us like cricket as well as motorsport
Old 30 Jul 2020, 01:23 (Ref:3991534)   #46
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Personally i think You'll be lucky if fans are allowed back past the next couple of weeks as the infection rate is increasing again. https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/202...-r-rate-rises/
Old 30 Jul 2020, 02:06 (Ref:3991536)   #47
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
Only about 4 people go to cricket.

Football no fans until at least October.
They put a lot of effort into that Oval game. They worked closely with the government in assessing and planning to make it safe for 1,000 people and also in reviewing how it went for future games and improvements, not just for cricket. This included considering getting to the game, which is harder for a stadium sport in a city than a track.

It was only a friendly, but were obviously over subscribed because it is the only cricket game you can go to at the moment.

Good effort all round. I dare say motorsport could do well to learn something from them.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/cricket/53544599

Oh, and while we are off topic. Well done Broad!
Old 30 Jul 2020, 05:12 (Ref:3991541)   #48
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
Every sport is desperate to get fans back and without them most sports are unsustainable financially so every effort they make is progress. Also glad i am not the only motorsport fan that likes cricket as well.
Old 30 Jul 2020, 07:10 (Ref:3991557)   #49
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tux View Post
Personally i think You'll be lucky if fans are allowed back past the next couple of weeks as the infection rate is increasing again. https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/202...-r-rate-rises/
it’s rising everywhere in little fits and starts as governments get a handle on the best way to contain outbreaks in their own communities and cultures though.

but i think you’re right - we need to get used to finding out if fans are going to be allowed in at short notice.
Old 30 Jul 2020, 08:35 (Ref:3991570)   #50
RS67
Veteran

RS67 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetool View Post

" We are clarifying the position for other BTCC events on MSV circuits and will communicate an update soon."
Seems clear enough to me, perhaps the misinterpretation is all yours.
I would assume MSV will be lobbying the decision and with TOCA and MSA trying to come to an agreement with the government that will allow spectator attendance. As other motorsport events have been taking place and are continuing, A cap on the number of spectators down to an more manageable level similar to what other events attract, could see a lift on the current decision.