Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Closed Thread

Old 7 Aug 2020, 15:53 (Ref:3993575)   #26
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus View Post
Time to recruit some real talent from elsewhere. Hire Perez or Vettel? .
I confess I struggle with the examples given. If you were Horner, would you take Vettel back to partner Max?
Old 7 Aug 2020, 16:10 (Ref:3993578)   #27
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Are we putting ourselves in Horners shoes? If so - I'd continue to talk about how Max is a 1 of a kind superstar, and then I'd be upset at the second driver for also not being 1 of a kind. I'd sack or demote them and then put someone else in the seat, and then be upset how they are also note 1 of a kind. This cycle can continue for as long as it needs to.

If someone does become 1 of a kind, then I'd immediately forget about Max and he'd leave. At that point I'd bad mouth Max and say he's ungrateful. And I'd **** off my engine supplier telling them how terrible they are whilst I win titles, and then I'd go find a worse engine to put in the car and get worse results with. I'd then start looking for the next 1 of a kind to match my 1 of a kind, and then demote them when they don't become a 1 of a kind.

That's about all I've got. How did I do?
Old 7 Aug 2020, 16:11 (Ref:3993580)   #28
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
Christian, cut it out with the sockpuppet accounts.
Old 7 Aug 2020, 16:23 (Ref:3993586)   #29
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Are we putting ourselves in Horners shoes? If so - I'd continue to talk about how Max is a 1 of a kind superstar, and then I'd be upset at the second driver for also not being 1 of a kind. I'd sack or demote them and then put someone else in the seat, and then be upset how they are also note 1 of a kind. This cycle can continue for as long as it needs to.

If someone does become 1 of a kind, then I'd immediately forget about Max and he'd leave. At that point I'd bad mouth Max and say he's ungrateful. And I'd **** off my engine supplier telling them how terrible they are whilst I win titles, and then I'd go find a worse engine to put in the car and get worse results with. I'd then start looking for the next 1 of a kind to match my 1 of a kind, and then demote them when they don't become a 1 of a kind.

This is all very well. But would you take back Vettel to partner Max.....?

I can't believe I'm even asking that question.....
Old 7 Aug 2020, 18:07 (Ref:3993608)   #30
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
No, and if I was Vettel I wouldn't want that seat even if I was offered
Old 7 Aug 2020, 20:38 (Ref:3993650)   #31
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
...And it worked out well for him,, now out of /away from the toxic Marko influence and after a hiccup at Renault, now with a good future on his own terms.
don't know: if he had replaced Ricciardo last year he could have had more podiums and maybe a win by now

and his "own terms" involve beeing nr 2 at Ferrari behind Leclerc , just ask Vettel how that works
Old 7 Aug 2020, 20:39 (Ref:3993651)   #32
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Exactly, Danny and Carlos saw the light and decided that they would be better off going their own way.
Carlos will be a clear nr 2 next year at Ferrari, so far for "seeing the light"
Old 7 Aug 2020, 20:55 (Ref:3993660)   #33
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
Half the Formula E grid are Red Bull Rejects.
four out of 24 Buemi, Hartley, JEV and Da Costa

Just as much people rejected for Mclaren there: Vandoorne, De Vries, Rowland, Sete Camara.

and Mercedes never had one of their own junior drivers in their team, not Wehrlein, not Ocon, not Russel

Red Bull supported Ricciardo from Formula Renault in 2007, and he probably wouldn't have made it all the way to F1 without Red Bull support

it's easy to criticise Red Bull, but have any other F1 team brought that many drivers to F1?

sure, some don't make it, but would they have gotten the chance without the Red Bull support?
Old 7 Aug 2020, 21:51 (Ref:3993669)   #34
RWill2073
Veteran

RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!
Yeah, I dont get the hate about how they handle drivers. They're quick with a hook, and churn through them, but the real talents that go through there, even if spit out rudely (sainz), they end up with another team who got a chance to see them in f1 thanks to red bull.

As for albon? Nah. I dont see it with him. Just another rich kid. He was getting praised last year for finishing 30 seconds behind verstappen, because gasly was finishing a minute behind.

Sow russell mentioned. He needs a better car, but he has to show an ability to not tumble down on the opening lap. Stay within a few positions of where you start, at least, unless you started bottom 3 or so. But when he qualified higher, he mad mistakes on the opening laps.

There should have been more leniency given by fia to o'ward with his license points, because I think he could have been a good choice. It probably worked well for him as he's landed a good spot and who knows, may end up in an f1 McLaren later on.

There's a lot of talent in indycar that could be competitive, I think. Just fix the stupid fia license nonsense.
Old 7 Aug 2020, 22:28 (Ref:3993681)   #35
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve nielsen View Post
four out of 24 Buemi, Hartley, JEV and Da Costa
and Jani and Camara.
That's 6 out of 24. Still not half the field, but a quarter.

Quote:
and Mercedes never had one of their own junior drivers in their team, not Wehrlein, not Ocon, not Russel
They have. Lewis Hamilton. He has been supported by Mercedes from almost the start of hsi career.

Probably, Lewis has had more Mercedes support throughout his pre-F1 career than Max had from Red Bull during his pre-F1 career.

Last edited by gert; 7 Aug 2020 at 22:35.
Old 7 Aug 2020, 22:50 (Ref:3993686)   #36
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Carlos will be a clear nr 2 next year at Ferrari, so far for "seeing the light"
And he would not have been had he stayed within Red Bull whilst 'the chosen one' is there
Better off being a #2 at Ferrari or McLaren rather than at Red Bull and the whole Marko toxic environment.
Old 8 Aug 2020, 03:30 (Ref:3993710)   #37
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Will Sainz be number 2 there? I’ve seen nothing to suggest that is the intention.

Sometimes I think Red Bull are too quick to dismiss someone in the big team, but they can do as they wish. Besides they have had three drivers who got up to speed pretty quickly (VET, RIC, VER), so maybe they are used to that and it has become the expectation. Max got up to speed very quickly when he joined the main team!
Old 8 Aug 2020, 05:56 (Ref:3993719)   #38
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
Quote:
Originally Posted by gert View Post
and Jani and Camara.
That's 6 out of 24. Still not half the field, but a quarter.

They have. Lewis Hamilton. He has been supported by Mercedes from almost the start of hsi career.

Probably, Lewis has had more Mercedes support throughout his pre-F1 career than Max had from Red Bull during his pre-F1 career.
Lewis is a McLaren junior discovered by Ron Dennis.
Old 8 Aug 2020, 05:58 (Ref:3993720)   #39
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
Will Sainz be number 2 there? I’ve seen nothing to suggest that is the intention.

Sometimes I think Red Bull are too quick to dismiss someone in the big team, but they can do as they wish. Besides they have had three drivers who got up to speed pretty quickly (VET, RIC, VER), so maybe they are used to that and it has become the expectation. Max got up to speed very quickly when he joined the main team!
that's obvious, you don't see they treat Vettel like the nr 2 driver now?

what a lot of people say about Red Bull and Max certainly goed for Ferrari and Charles, they contracted Leclerc until the end of 2024, Sainz has a contract until the end of 2022
Old 8 Aug 2020, 06:29 (Ref:3993721)   #40
karting
Racer

karting should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe, just maybe.

Albons pace is what the Red Bull is capable of for 95% of the grid but Max can squeeze out that extra bit.

Same as LuLu, I hate the guy but can admit he’s a great driver in a great car and his Natural ability is enough to squeeze that extra bit out of the Merc and beat Bottas so regularly
Old 8 Aug 2020, 08:36 (Ref:3993739)   #41
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
And he would not have been had he stayed within Red Bull whilst 'the chosen one' is there
Better off being a #2 at Ferrari or McLaren rather than at Red Bull and the whole Marko toxic environment.
Toxic?

you obviously have no idea what you are talking about

why would Marko be so "toxic"?

because he wants drivers to perform?, that goes for every topteam

when you can't keep up whit your teammate you are replaced at any team

Last edited by steve nielsen; 8 Aug 2020 at 08:44.
Old 8 Aug 2020, 08:39 (Ref:3993740)   #42
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Quote:
why would Marko be so "toxic"?
Is this a real question? What makes the man who wanted to make a corona-camp to infect his drivers toxic?

Who knows.
Old 8 Aug 2020, 08:48 (Ref:3993741)   #43
RWill2073
Veteran

RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Is this a real question? What makes the man who wanted to make a corona-camp to infect his drivers toxic?

Who knows.
Might turn out to be the smart way to go. No vaccine coming anytime soon, the ones that do may barely be better than 50% effective, and there's evidence that once a population gets to 30% infected, there's enough herd immunity to mitigate it. We're kinda at the point that we either need a vaccine that works or we're all going to get it someday, like the flu. True death rate is way under 1%, too. So, all this to say, his idea, while crass, may have not been a terrible one. Ever hear of chicken pox parties?....

Other than that, red bull has a quick hook, sure. But what drivers that have shown anything in their team haven't gone on to find a ride elsewhere? Also, dropping a bunch of drivers because they can't keep up with supreme talents kind of shows a success story. It means red bull consistently has a generational or at least great driver, whether it's vettel or Ricciardo or verstappen. If you can't even keep within half a minute, and you're finishing 8th when your teammate is finishing 3rd, you probably dont deserve that drive. Unless the car is completely built around the other drivers style, which is fine, too.

If bottas was consistently finishing 4th, would we be wondering whether he could hack it at mercedes?
Old 8 Aug 2020, 11:19 (Ref:3993757)   #44
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Lewis is a McLaren junior discovered by Ron Dennis.
You may argue over who 'discovered' him, but Lewis was supported by both Mercedes and McLaren.
The fact that Mercedes and McLaren were partners at the time probably helped that.
While in the junior categries, Lewis got Mercedes' support for WAY longer than Max got Red Bull's.
Old 9 Aug 2020, 10:35 (Ref:3993956)   #45
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWill2073 View Post
Might turn out to be the smart way to go.
That idea was stupid then and doubly stupid now. I will point out the obvious that you just dont seem to get months into this. Why do you keep beating that drum?

1. You are asking someone to get infected for your entertainment.
2. Even if it doesn't kill them, they may have long lasting health issues. (I know someone in this category. They have lingering breathing issues. Believe me, they wish they hadn't been infected)

Richard
Old 9 Aug 2020, 14:38 (Ref:3994121)   #46
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Biscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBiscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not read the thread, but just hire Hulkenberg
Old 9 Aug 2020, 19:44 (Ref:3994255)   #47
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Well Albon did ok today, certainly better than earlier races
Old 9 Aug 2020, 19:50 (Ref:3994264)   #48
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
He can certainly pull off an overtake. But really needs to put the car on the first 3 rows of the grid. The Red Bull certainly seems to be a better race car than qualifying shows.
Old 9 Aug 2020, 19:57 (Ref:3994270)   #49
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
He can certainly pull off an overtake. But really needs to put the car on the first 3 rows of the grid. The Red Bull certainly seems to be a better race car than qualifying shows.
Max got that car to Q3 on hard tyres and to P4 on the grid, it's one of the fastes cars in qualifying also

Albon needed the softs to get to Q3 after his try on hard was to slow

If he had been faster on the hard tyre in Q2 his race could have been much better
Old 9 Aug 2020, 21:48 (Ref:3994300)   #50
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Albon had another good race today - his overtakes around the outside on Silverstone's fast corners really are epic.

Regardless of junior formulae results, he's definitely got "something" and in my view, if RB can get him settled and more importantly, sorted for qual then I see him as being really effective. Not saying a Max beater (yet) but there's real pace there.

He's been showing that for some time but it often remains hidden due to incidents (which is why results after the fact don't always tell the whole story). He's prepared to have a crack, almost fearless really in some respects and his outside overtakes, whilst impressive DO leave him exposed to errors or misjudgements (or red mist) from other drivers - as we saw with he and Hamilton in Austria.

I suspect that he's tougher than he looks and I group him with the exciting bunch of genuinely talented "kids" now in F1 - Verstappen, Leclerc, Norris, Russell, Albon - I see him being competitive with any of them but not yet sure about consistency - but there's definitely something there.