Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 31 Aug 2020, 19:10 (Ref:3999293)   #2676
PascaLM
Race Official
Veteran

France
Near Blois, France
PascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
You can understand that given the lack of diversity and the lack of novelty of the entry list, I won't open a predictions thread this year.
Old 31 Aug 2020, 20:48 (Ref:3999308)   #2677
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
That is Ok Pascal, look forward to 2021 and us all being there once again
Old 1 Sep 2020, 02:16 (Ref:3999348)   #2678
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The competition legend

We could do a simpler pole time, winning laps and margin type affair this year? If PascaLM isn’t up for it maybe someone else could give him a break after all these years of service?
Old 1 Sep 2020, 09:52 (Ref:3999375)   #2679
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yes, I can understand the lack of desire to run a full comp, but I agree Adam, something along those lines would at least give us something to do while twiddling our thumbs at home... I can do it unless there is someone else who wants to...
Old 1 Sep 2020, 15:29 (Ref:3999464)   #2680
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Will the new Hyperpole session make guessing harder or simpler? (assuming consistent weather to the main Q session).
Old 6 Sep 2020, 20:21 (Ref:4000602)   #2681
claude2cv
Racer

claude2cv should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridclaude2cv should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridclaude2cv should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridclaude2cv should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The current issue of Motor Sport has some interesting Le Mans articles. The photo at the top of the contents page is worth a look in the Smiths reading room

Sean
Old 14 Sep 2020, 21:32 (Ref:4002508)   #2682
Intimidator
Rookie

Italy
Intimidator should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi guys, am I the only one getting worried about the future of this race and racing in general, especially regarding the GT field?
More and more people talking about the GT2/GTE era coming to an end and being replaced by GT3.
I have nothing against GT3 but to me the cars look less attractive compared to GT2, they don't look as proper race cars like GTE do, they are less noisy, plus they have driver aids like ABS and traction control, easier to drive.
I don't know, ten years ago the GT1 category died, soon GT2 will be dead (look at IMSA), what's gonna happen in 2030? GT4 replacing GT3?
Also hopefully LMP3 stays out of the main race and the WEC, but these are just my thoughts.

I hope I'm wrong but I see the future of racing with plenty of electric and less attractive cars. I'm only 32 but I miss the early 2000's days, proper race cars back then.
Sad post
Old 14 Sep 2020, 21:44 (Ref:4002512)   #2683
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
It’s not an easy time, but we’ll get through 2020 first, then after 2021 we’ll see what’s happened. Sadly it looks like GT2 has had it’s day for now. Look forward to seeing them in action this year. We’ll see if GT3 can replace it. Although the technology could ruin it as you say. It’s the main classes that need the most attention though

I hope it’s close enough between the cars in LMP1 and LMP2 for us to have a good race. That’s the main thing. It’s not easy with both IMSA and WEC having struggles with entries atm. I’m sure IMSA will find a way to cut costs and survive. WEC might be a different story, although I look forward to this year’s and next year’s races all the same

Although sportscars is going through a bit of a rebuilding process due to circumstances, I expect races like Le Mans to survive, they’ve always found a way to. There is a reason to be concerned, but the race will still be as great as ever. Of course Sportscar racing isn’t quite what it was at the beginning of the century, but times have moved and we’ve still had some quite good moments over the past decade. Hopefully we can continue to in the future whatever happens. Just as long as we find over means of powering cars about from electric. Biofuel anyone?
Old 14 Sep 2020, 21:48 (Ref:4002513)   #2684
PascaLM
Race Official
Veteran

France
Near Blois, France
PascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intimidator View Post
Hi guys, am I the only one getting worried about the future of this race and racing in general, especially regarding the GT field?
More and more people talking about the GT2/GTE era coming to an end and being replaced by GT3.
I have nothing against GT3 but to me the cars look less attractive compared to GT2, they don't look as proper race cars like GTE do, they are less noisy, plus they have driver aids like ABS and traction control, easier to drive.
I don't fully agree. I went at Spa 24H once in 2018, I think the GT3 are fantastic real GT, they can race on wet easily, more powerful than GTE, a bit less fast in corners and curves though. This category is also very diversified and could be part of the Le Mans entry list.
Old 15 Sep 2020, 09:59 (Ref:4002559)   #2685
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PascaLM View Post
I don't fully agree. I went at Spa 24H once in 2018, I think the GT3 are fantastic real GT, they can race on wet easily, more powerful than GTE, a bit less fast in corners and curves though. This category is also very diversified and could be part of the Le Mans entry list.
Agree with this. i think GT3 is a great class, it seems like they can get the BOP pretty spot on and theres a good variety of cars which can be both pro and am.

i think it would also be pretty desirable for works teams to be able to do Le Mans, Daytona and Spa 24 hours thoughout the year with the same cars.
Old 15 Sep 2020, 10:40 (Ref:4002562)   #2686
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intimidator View Post
Also hopefully LMP3 stays out of the main race and the WEC, but these are just my thoughts.
This bit I disagree with. I love the P3's, perhaps because I've watched them quite a lot recently as my son has been involved, but I think they're great value for money and I'd happily ditch the entire GT classes for an LMP3 class. Back to the all prototype days would suit me down to the ground.
Old 15 Sep 2020, 23:25 (Ref:4002712)   #2687
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I see not much wrong with the P3s either, they add great entertainment. Of course there’s nothing wrong with a mix of prototype and GT cars, but for the moment, I’d be happy too if they concentrated more on the prototypes than the GTs. They really suit Le Mans for the time being
Old 16 Sep 2020, 08:37 (Ref:4002746)   #2688
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Yes i like prototypes but GT's are also an integral part of le mans, and i personally like to see a mixture of both.
Old 16 Sep 2020, 09:59 (Ref:4002758)   #2689
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Indeed. Having entries that are vaguely similar to mass produced road cars retains the link back to the origins of the event.

It would be sad to see an all prototype field, especially if one or more classes were spec-classes with identical machinery.

I might be a heretic and say I'd prefer an all GT grid to an all prototype one.
Old 16 Sep 2020, 10:15 (Ref:4002760)   #2690
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
Agreed if i had to choose i would be with Guy. GT based cars rather than prototypes, although i am happier with cars that are a step up from normal GT race cars
Old 16 Sep 2020, 13:13 (Ref:4002775)   #2691
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I love LMP3, but I personally would like a nice split of LMPs and GTs.

I don't really see a future where LMP3 is part of the WEC. LMP2 is strong and healthy (although lacks variety). Just need a sustainable LMP1 class.

If GTE does collapse then I can see the ACO allowing factory GT3 cars just to get manufacturer names in.

I think LMP3 might be one of the best classes, but I don't really think it should be in the full WEC. But I do think the Le Mans support races are a good idea, and I'd extend them and include GT3s more, and maybe even GT4s.
Old 16 Sep 2020, 15:12 (Ref:4002798)   #2692
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckosaurus View Post
Indeed. Having entries that are vaguely similar to mass produced road cars retains the link back to the origins of the event.

It would be sad to see an all prototype field, especially if one or more classes were spec-classes with identical machinery.

You heretic!!!
Old 16 Sep 2020, 16:54 (Ref:4002824)   #2693
S griffin
Veteran

I guess he might have to wait a while before we see GTs take over
Old 17 Sep 2020, 07:25 (Ref:4002937)   #2694
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
I seriously hope never....
Old 17 Sep 2020, 12:01 (Ref:4003012)   #2695
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PascaLM View Post
You can understand that given the lack of diversity and the lack of novelty of the entry list, I won't open a predictions thread this year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
The competition legend

We could do a simpler pole time, winning laps and margin type affair this year? If PascaLM isn’t up for it maybe someone else could give him a break after all these years of service?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Yes, I can understand the lack of desire to run a full comp, but I agree Adam, something along those lines would at least give us something to do while twiddling our thumbs at home... I can do it unless there is someone else who wants to...
It's a bit late up, but I've gone and posted one. Obviously not as good as normal, but have a go people. Do you know your Le Mans stuff and can see into the future?

Link here: https://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=155512
Old 17 Sep 2020, 13:32 (Ref:4003068)   #2696
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Thanks very much Adam. As part of the general 'gutted at not being there' malaise, I'd forgotten about it...
Old 18 Sep 2020, 09:11 (Ref:4003417)   #2697
Le Vieux
Veteran

Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckosaurus View Post

Count me as heretic no.2!
Old 18 Sep 2020, 09:12 (Ref:4003419)   #2698
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Another heretic! Oh dear....
Old 18 Sep 2020, 10:51 (Ref:4003471)   #2699
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
What about the format? My feeling is that this shorter format works. The Hyperpole was pretty good and if they ran free practices on Weds and Thursday with Qualifying followed by Hyperpole on Friday it would make sense. The difficulty is the lack of a free day (Friday) for pitlane walkabouts etc.

Thoughts?
Old 18 Sep 2020, 11:08 (Ref:4003476)   #2700
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
As they were discussing on RLM, assuming that we are back to something approaching 'normal' next June, I don't think there will be anything on the Friday. I enjoyed the night session (FP3) but it seemed daft to have four hours of free practice after qualifying. 45 minutes of qually was too short. I would have preferred 2 hours of the 4 in the evening to have been qualifying. Of course, they did what they did to give the teams the running and set-up time after the loss of the test day, but I don't expect that format to be retained. I think they will find a way to retain 'Hyperpole' which I enjoyed a lot more than I expected. I think they will return to much the same format as before, with Hyperpole perhaps left until late on on Thursday evening. In the dark it would be even more exciting....