Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 14 Sep 2020, 12:20 (Ref:4002434)   #176
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
For the second week running we had a red flag due to barrier damage. Back in the day this very rarely happened if at all. It does make you wonder why it’s the case now, although obviously safety becoming even more important as time goes has something to do with it. Maybe tyre walls have had their day?

Anyway it was good to race on Mugello, a proper old school circuit where mistakes were punished and where track limits weren’t mentioned once AFAIK, which makes a nice change.
I think the two points here are connected.

With Mugello being 'proper old school' (does that just mean old?), the circuit design and construction will have been made without concern for run-off areas. The result of this is that cars are travelling faster in close proximity to the barriers, and so any time the driver leaves the circuit there is a greater chance that the barrier will be struck causing damage. On a track where there is a greater run-off, the drivers are willing to take risks with less fear of consequence.

Ultimately, it can be seen in a similar vein to a risk assessment. The higher the speed when in close proximity to barriers means the damage will be higher. The closer the proximity to barriers when at speed means the likelihood of impact is higher.

Speed x Proximity = likelihood of barrier damage needing repair.

Move the barriers further back or reduce the speed, and there is less chance of a red flag.
Old 14 Sep 2020, 12:35 (Ref:4002437)   #177
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gert View Post
Agree, I think the rule makers are as much to blame as the 12 drivers.
I think the FIA should think of a better way of doing this.
Don't we rail against the ongoing increasing complexity of the sport? Should they enact speed limiter that neuter the car until it crosses the timing loop at the start/finish? Use ultrasonic sensors to enforce strict distancing between the cars as they approach the start/finish line? Add another 5-10Kg of maximum weight to the cars to allow for the extra sensors, etc.

I think the problem is that this type of start is not particularly common so drivers are not particularly experienced with the nuances of how to do this. On top of this the track configuration aggravated things. It is highly likely that history will show that this was a relatively rare event.

These are supposedly the top drivers in the world! Bottas did what he should have done (and frankly he had the easiest thing to do which is to only worry about those behind him). Those further back really needed a bit of cooperation between those behind and in front of each car. This requires both some experience (and with that experience is awareness of how this does and doesn't work). But they were pushing the envelope as to what they could do (speed up, slow down, speed up, slow down, but don't pass!) and it bit them hard. Lastly Botta could have even driven differently (faster or more constant speed) and that still wouldn't have guaranteed the rear of the field wouldn't have screwed it all up!

Richard
Old 14 Sep 2020, 14:49 (Ref:4002458)   #178
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
2x2 restarts with a sponsored 'restart zone'. Simple.

What do you mean, they do that in NASCAR?
Old 14 Sep 2020, 14:54 (Ref:4002460)   #179
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
2x2 restarts with a sponsored 'restart zone'. Simple.

What do you mean, they do that in NASCAR?
A 2x2 standing restart, or rolling restart?
Old 14 Sep 2020, 15:00 (Ref:4002462)   #180
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
A 2x2 standing restart, or rolling restart?
Rolling, after a SC/FCY.

They can already get standing starts mostly right - they did 3 yesterday, which was just showing off.
Old 14 Sep 2020, 16:52 (Ref:4002477)   #181
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Or just let the pace car leave the track about half a lap before the start / finish line, and then the lead driver can string the cars out well before start/finish.
Old 14 Sep 2020, 16:54 (Ref:4002478)   #182
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Wouldn't make any difference since the reason for the slow lappery was because of the long straight to the first corner and the possibility of being overtaken due to the draft. Hence Bottas left his run as late as possible and it worked.
Old 14 Sep 2020, 17:25 (Ref:4002483)   #183
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Or just leave it as it is and tell the best drivers in the world to start being at least as competent as GTE-Am Drivers in ELMS.

Just a thought.
Old 14 Sep 2020, 17:43 (Ref:4002485)   #184
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Indeed.
Old 14 Sep 2020, 17:43 (Ref:4002486)   #185
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
Or just leave it as it is and tell the best drivers in the world to start being at least as competent as GTE-Am Drivers in ELMS.

Just a thought.

Serious question. I know teams use simulators to evaluate and practice things. I can imagine drivers using simulators to build muscle memory for things like start procedures, start light reaction time training, clutch release, etc. Why do they not have them practice things like these?

Richard
Old 14 Sep 2020, 18:15 (Ref:4002489)   #186
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I agree leave things as they are, it's not like there is an issue everytime there is a restart behind the SC. There were two restarts at Mid-Ohio yesterday, both incident free. I'm not too sure about double file restarts. IndyCar reintroduced them for the 2011 season, on all tracks but they proved very problematic. They where eventually dropped from road/street courses and the 500 in 2014 and now they don't use them at all.
Old 14 Sep 2020, 18:42 (Ref:4002491)   #187
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post

Serious question. I know teams use simulators to evaluate and practice things. I can imagine drivers using simulators to build muscle memory for things like start procedures, start light reaction time training, clutch release, etc. Why do they not have them practice things like these?

Richard
I imagine they do, but the way it happened is that 1 driver got it wrong, and everyone else reacted to them. So I guess they did follow their practicing? Maybe?

I _think_ what happened was Kvyat went too early, which then caused everyone else. Since you can only react to the car in front (you can't see further than that) you have to trust that they did the right thing.

But certainly cars around Kvyat and Russell, relatively far up the field, caused the incident. Cars like Latifi, Gio and Sainz can only react to the cars in front and accelerated.

However, I do feel like a lot of cars were hanging back too far. Kimi and Vettel were a good 100m or so back. That's absolutely not ok.
Old 14 Sep 2020, 18:47 (Ref:4002493)   #188
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
With hindsight Kimi and Seb did the right thing, maybe that’s a sign of their experience. Holding back in case something goes wrong as it did there
Old 14 Sep 2020, 19:00 (Ref:4002495)   #189
Richard C
Veteran

Quote:
I _think_ what happened was Kvyat went too early, which then caused everyone else. Since you can only react to the car in front (you can't see further than that) you have to trust that they did the right thing.
There needs to be some level of trust, but they also have to give up something to allow for contingencies in a relatively risky situation. Such as maybe don't try to accelerate while directly in the draft (limiting your vision to just one car in front of you). Pull out a bit to watch a few cars ahead, even if that might compromise you a bit. You still can't pass prior to the start finish.

As to the simulation training. I expect a good simulator would include variable levels of "bad" behavior of the other drivers. If you have the simulator setup so that everyone else does the "right" thing nothing bad will happen. It's best to have the field accordion in front of you to teach you to develop strategies to both watch for it and learn to deal with it when it happens.

Richard
Old 14 Sep 2020, 19:03 (Ref:4002496)   #190
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Just for the record: I was not being serious about double-file restarts and acceleration zones.
Old 14 Sep 2020, 23:51 (Ref:4002523)   #191
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

Just a thought.
Or your average club racer!
Old 15 Sep 2020, 03:24 (Ref:4002532)   #192
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

Just a thought.
Or just like the kids in F3!
Old 15 Sep 2020, 08:14 (Ref:4002547)   #193
Lola
Veteran

England
Nr Worcester
Lola should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Restart like they do in IMSA or Indy. Not even the leader goes before the green flag is shown
Old 15 Sep 2020, 09:26 (Ref:4002555)   #194
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
I imagine they do, but the way it happened is that 1 driver got it wrong, and everyone else reacted to them. So I guess they did follow their practicing? Maybe?

But certainly cars around Kvyat and Russell, relatively far up the field, caused the incident. Cars like Latifi, Gio and Sainz can only react to the cars in front and accelerated.

However, I do feel like a lot of cars were hanging back too far. Kimi and Vettel were a good 100m or so back. That's absolutely not ok.
similarly to what you suggested earlier in the thread, radio 5/the bbc website were determined that it was russell who went first. which really just shows how hard it is to place blame, and they were ultimately correct to read half the field the riot act rather than specifically have a go at one or two drivers. going at that particular point was probably a lot closer to a non-baku restart, so it's not that far fetched. unfortunately the further back you get in the field, the faster they're going to turn up at the scene of the accident assuming everyone else is leaving a similar gap between cars.

the same thing happens in a road accident on a busy road - one person has to react at the last minute because they weren't paying attention or were unsighted, which cascades backwards getting closer and closer to the point where somebody can't react in time and goes into the back of someone else. then all hell breaks loose until there's a big enough gap to break the chain.

but it goes without saying that they shouldn't need specific rules for restarts. they're all grown ups, not 12 year olds in karts.
Old 15 Sep 2020, 11:58 (Ref:4002582)   #195
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I reckon a partial cause of the pile up was drivers weaving right up until the crashing started.

Here in Australia Supercars banned weaving after the Safety Car goes lights out after some restart incidents a few years ago which has filtered down to the lower classes, as a result and we haven't seen any major problems until they get to a corner since.

https://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=155504

As it was occurring in all the classes over the weekend I've created a separate thread to discuss further.
Old 15 Sep 2020, 16:22 (Ref:4002625)   #196
JacobP
Racer

JacobP should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why was this race allowed to run for so long? Wasn't there a new rule (introduced after the extra-long 2011 Canadian GP) that said F1 race must end two hours after the start? This is a joke. F1 eats its own rules.
Old 15 Sep 2020, 17:06 (Ref:4002638)   #197
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
F1 will always be flexible with rules to suit itself
Old 15 Sep 2020, 17:13 (Ref:4002639)   #198
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
If they had gone with the two hour rule, would there have been time left for any actual racing?
Old 15 Sep 2020, 17:38 (Ref:4002643)   #199
greentrumpet
Racer

greentrumpet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgreentrumpet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It was the Ferrari grand prix, no time limit and 4l engines.
Old 15 Sep 2020, 18:58 (Ref:4002669)   #200
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobP View Post
Why was this race allowed to run for so long? Wasn't there a new rule (introduced after the extra-long 2011 Canadian GP) that said F1 race must end two hours after the start? This is a joke. F1 eats its own rules.
That rule exists EXCEPT when the race is halted by a red flag or flags - when that is the case, the time limit is 4 hours.

F1 didn't eat its own rules.