Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 24 Sep 2020, 08:18 (Ref:4006000)   #2451
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It looks like F1 teams are in favor of having GP's in one off or occasional venues to give variety and challange the teams and drivers.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/15...tional-gp-idea

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/15...endar-rotation
Old 24 Sep 2020, 10:16 (Ref:4006015)   #2452
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
That’s good, as long as places like Monaco or Spa or Silverstone remain locked in. Then we can have more GPs that are worth it
Old 24 Sep 2020, 11:40 (Ref:4006031)   #2453
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
In spite of the simulation tools teams have, I hope that the reality of a new circuit makes modelling a race there a little more difficult than the ones they have already raced at. It would be fun if they could surprise the teams the week of a race and fly them away somewhere without telling them (the FIA could handle visas). The first they know is at the airport. This would only work with no spectators, though.
Old 24 Sep 2020, 23:13 (Ref:4006097)   #2454
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
In spite of the simulation tools teams have, I hope that the reality of a new circuit makes modelling a race there a little more difficult than the ones they have already raced at. It would be fun if they could surprise the teams the week of a race and fly them away somewhere without telling them (the FIA could handle visas). The first they know is at the airport. This would only work with no spectators, though.
That would be very cool!

Knew a travel agent who used to do weekend trips like that - no-one knew where they were heading for the next 2 nights.

Could go truly old school on it - just raw garages without all of the current dressing up, might be the best race of the year!
Old 27 Oct 2020, 15:16 (Ref:4013378)   #2455
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
There are 23 GP's scheduled for 2021 including a new one in Saudi Arabia (hope its not another boring Tilke drome). The final details have yet to be worked out and no doubt covid will have a part to play.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/15...lendar-in-2021
Old 27 Oct 2020, 16:06 (Ref:4013388)   #2456
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post
There are 23 GP's scheduled for 2021 including a new one in Saudi Arabia (hope its not another boring Tilke drome). The final details have yet to be worked out and no doubt covid will have a part to play.

Does F1 need 23 races? When GPs were first televised I use to really look forward to watching them, as I felt they were a special event which a country hosted. Maybe that was a naïve way of looking at it. However, GPs are more or less dime a dozen and the excitement and anticipation just doesn't seem to be quite there anymore.
Old 27 Oct 2020, 19:26 (Ref:4013418)   #2457
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Does F1 need 23 races? When GPs were first televised I use to really look forward to watching them, as I felt they were a special event which a country hosted. Maybe that was a naïve way of looking at it. However, GPs are more or less dime a dozen and the excitement and anticipation just doesn't seem to be quite there anymore.

I would agree with you there the more GP's the less exclusive they are.

I would imagine Saudi will be big dollar earning GP for F1.
Old 27 Oct 2020, 21:56 (Ref:4013440)   #2458
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Is it safe to assume that a/ there won't be 23 races and b/some of the countries on it won't be able to host a round.

I just hope that some of the replacement circuits visited this year keep a race.
Old 28 Oct 2020, 02:57 (Ref:4013461)   #2459
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post

Average maximum temperature in Saudi Arabia in July is 40 degrees.Ridiculous time of year to schedule a race.
The mandatory 2 weeks quarantine in Australia for sports people coming into the country from overseas is being enforced for Indian cricket team and Australian Open tennis.The government has said that won’t be relaxed until there is a vaccine.Despite brave noises from GP Corporation I’m not booking my air tickets to Melbourne yet.
No summer break.When was this agreed to?
Old 28 Oct 2020, 07:55 (Ref:4013486)   #2460
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
There are some driver concerns about the outer circuit at Bahrain.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/b...paign=widget-2
I am really looking forward to this race, it looks to be a really high speed circuit.
Old 28 Oct 2020, 22:07 (Ref:4013627)   #2461
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
I am really looking forward to this race, it looks to be a really high speed circuit.
I can't be bothered to read the story but what are the drivers worried about?
Getting dizzy?
Old 29 Oct 2020, 11:24 (Ref:4013704)   #2462
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
I can't be bothered to read the story but what are the drivers worried about?
There's a risk they may be abducted by aliens.

Seriously though: be bothered, then nobody else has to explain it to you.

In other news, two of the drivers with poor performances in 2020 are concerned by a new circuit. Having read some of the stuff coming out of Haas this morning, I'm not at all surprised that the two drivers mentioned in the article are worried, if I had a car that behaved like a pogo stick I would be too.
Old 29 Oct 2020, 11:48 (Ref:4013707)   #2463
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Ever since the long fast Hockenheim track was reforested, we have not had anything quite like it on the F1 calendar. I'm not saying that this will be the same, but I think it should add some variety.
Old 29 Oct 2020, 16:15 (Ref:4013748)   #2464
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Me too. If there is a positive from this Covid-19 pandemic, with regard to F1, it's the new and different tracks that have been added to the calendar.
Old 29 Oct 2020, 22:06 (Ref:4013799)   #2465
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
There's a risk they may be abducted by aliens.

Seriously though: be bothered, then nobody else has to explain it to you.

In other news, two of the drivers with poor performances in 2020 are concerned by a new circuit. Having read some of the stuff coming out of Haas this morning, I'm not at all surprised that the two drivers mentioned in the article are worried, if I had a car that behaved like a pogo stick I would be too.
Seriously though?

Ok, I'll bear that in mind if it's news story and not more cheap space fillers

Thanks for the tip Greem 😉
Old 30 Oct 2020, 00:34 (Ref:4013809)   #2466
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
It’s just a shame we have to use these gimmicky layouts instead of proper circuits like Suzuka. Hopefully we will back to normal next year, but overall I’d say the calendar has been decent this season and a good template for future seasons
Old 30 Oct 2020, 07:56 (Ref:4013852)   #2467
el_cat
Racer

el_cat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan52 View Post
Average maximum temperature in Saudi Arabia in July is 40 degrees.Ridiculous time of year to schedule a race.
The mandatory 2 weeks quarantine in Australia for sports people coming into the country from overseas is being enforced for Indian cricket team and Australian Open tennis.The government has said that won’t be relaxed until there is a vaccine.Despite brave noises from GP Corporation I’m not booking my air tickets to Melbourne yet.
No summer break.When was this agreed to?
It doesn’t say anything about racing in Saudi in July - it says later in the season so it’s more likely to be paired with Abu Dhabi and be November.

The article also specifically mentions that the Belgium/Netherlands/Italy triple header will be after the summer break, so it doesn’t say that is being cancelled either.

Personally, I don’t think it will be a 23 race calendar at all. Australia looks very doubtful, and being the season open I wouldn’t expect it to be replaced. Brazil I also wasn’t expecting to be hosting a race, they haven’t even plunged a shovel in the ground yet and I don’t think Liberty and Interlagos are on the best of terms at the moment. With a more conventional calendar, it will be more difficult to squeeze a replacement in if Brazil was paired with another flyaway event

Last edited by el_cat; 30 Oct 2020 at 08:01.
Old 30 Oct 2020, 13:10 (Ref:4013899)   #2468
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
It’s just a shame we have to use these gimmicky layouts instead of proper circuits like Suzuka. Hopefully we will back to normal next year, but overall I’d say the calendar has been decent this season and a good template for future seasons
The outer circuit is an official track layout, so I wouldn't say it's gimmicky per se and it's not as if Bahrain produces a particularly exceptional race, though the night race back in 2014 was pretty awesome. Therefore why not try it out? Who knows, it might just be the GP of season.
Old 30 Oct 2020, 17:11 (Ref:4013916)   #2469
S griffin
Veteran

I’d say going to Bahrain once is enough. Mind you I also feel going to Abu Dhabi is once too many. Why after so many great circuits we’ve had this season we have to suffer that dullard at the end again?
Old 8 Nov 2020, 11:14 (Ref:4015467)   #2470
kurski
Veteran

Finland
kurski should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkurski should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Kymi Ring's completion fulfilled Kari O. Sohlberg's dream, but he does not consider the Finnish F1 race realistic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kari O. Sohlberg View Post
"“The chances of getting money back from F1 are pretty slim. Asian countries want visibility in F1, and there the state pays for the violins."
Old 8 Nov 2020, 12:51 (Ref:4015477)   #2471
S griffin
Veteran

I think Hungary will remain the closest thing to a Finnish GP
Old 8 Nov 2020, 13:05 (Ref:4015479)   #2472
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I think Hungary will remain the closest thing to a Finnish GP
Closest in what way?
Old 8 Nov 2020, 13:50 (Ref:4015485)   #2473
S griffin
Veteran

Future Grands Prix?

Because that’s where the Finnish fans tended to go. It was a bit of a running theme to everyone in F1
Old 8 Nov 2020, 14:00 (Ref:4015488)   #2474
TheMightyM
Veteran

TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Closest in what way?

Linguistically.
Old 8 Nov 2020, 14:12 (Ref:4015489)   #2475
kurski
Veteran

Finland
kurski should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkurski should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Because that’s where the Finnish fans tended to go. It was a bit of a running theme to everyone in F1
Yep, don't know if F1 would go to Igora Drive, would it attract Finnish fans there when the track is relatively close. Some may not bother to obtain a travel visa