Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 9 Nov 2020, 07:51 (Ref:4015592)   #251
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by coppice View Post
Why does anybody even care ? It's a meaningless accolade , and nobody will change their opinion anyway , regardless of whatever creatively curated set of stats is tabled .
Not sure why - but 250 posts in the thread suggest some people do. And yes - you and I are both in that group.

An argument for why it is a meaningless accolade adds to its meaning.....
Old 9 Nov 2020, 10:59 (Ref:4015621)   #252
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The only debatable issue is whether it is a 5 minute argument or the full half hour.......
Old 9 Nov 2020, 11:19 (Ref:4015624)   #253
2 litre Touring Car Star
Veteran

Australia
2 litre Touring Car Star User had had their licence endorsed2 litre Touring Car Star User had had their licence endorsed
Most wins in F1 is an impressive stat, and that's all that it is. Someone's got to have it but it's not reflective of GOAT.
Old 9 Nov 2020, 12:02 (Ref:4015630)   #254
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Why does anybody even care ? It's a meaningless accolade , and nobody will change their opinion anyway , regardless of whatever creatively curated set of stats is tabled .
This thread is a perfect storm. Who is the best F1 driver? Lewis Hamilton? Both are topics that generate lots of opinions. Combine them into a single thread? Bang! Off to the races as people post fast and furiously.

Richard
Old 9 Nov 2020, 12:04 (Ref:4015632)   #255
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
The only debatable issue is whether it is a 5 minute argument or the full half hour.......
Surely we can get another 6 days out of this before the next record is broken?
Old 9 Nov 2020, 15:00 (Ref:4015658)   #256
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Surely we can get another 6 days out of this before the next record is broken?
Easily...... Then we can move on to being hit on the head lessons. More productive......
Old 9 Nov 2020, 15:16 (Ref:4015665)   #257
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
One thing for certain Blue Peter’s John Leslie isn’t the GOAT.

https://youtu.be/knuYY8oiDZU
Old 9 Nov 2020, 15:33 (Ref:4015672)   #258
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
No it isn't.
Old 9 Nov 2020, 16:17 (Ref:4015678)   #259
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
No it isn't.
An argument isn't just contradiction.
Old 9 Nov 2020, 16:20 (Ref:4015680)   #260
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yes it is......................
Old 9 Nov 2020, 16:21 (Ref:4015681)   #261
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
No it isn't!!!!!

(Sorry but this is much more fun than discussing the thread..... )
Old 9 Nov 2020, 17:46 (Ref:4015703)   #262
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
Classic...
Old 9 Nov 2020, 19:55 (Ref:4015720)   #263
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
let us all agree that Lewis is a Goat, and put him out to grass, that way we get some more interesting racing in F1
Old 10 Nov 2020, 08:13 (Ref:4015788)   #264
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:

Some drivers make you tingle when you watch them at work. Some manage to do so throughout their career (Senna, Stewart , Peterson, Alonso and Hamilton ) , some only for part of it ( mid- late Mansell , early Ickx , early - mid Vettel , early Scheckter , mid Lauda ) and others , too numerous to mention, rarely arouse much of a tingle at all - even if they were as blindingly fast as Prost or as all arms and elbows as Jarier.

The appeal of motor racing to me is the visceral excitement you feel trackside , watching a master at work .Agonising over GOATS is a joyless fireside attraction at best .
The post of an enthusiast in my book, what I look for too.

You have nailed the essence of this whole debate here Coppice, great work.

Nice to see Scheckter on the list too, very few understand just how quick he was!

Last edited by wnut; 10 Nov 2020 at 08:20.
Old 10 Nov 2020, 08:28 (Ref:4015790)   #265
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Never thought I would see Jarier mentioned in a thread like this
Just to nail thoughts of old man . Best driver I have seen, Jim Clark.
Smoothest and could do all the other stuff
Underrated Rindt who would have proven his worth if his move to Brabham in 71 had happened.
Old 10 Nov 2020, 11:18 (Ref:4015816)   #266
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post
Never thought I would see Jarier mentioned in a thread like this
Just to nail thoughts of old man . Best driver I have seen, Jim Clark.
Smoothest and could do all the other stuff
Underrated Rindt who would have proven his worth if his move to Brabham in 71 had happened.
Bernie reckoned Rindt was the quickest/best at the time.

Again, it's a bit speculative but i'd put money on Clark beating him had they likely ended up at Lotus together in the early 70's.
Old 10 Nov 2020, 11:30 (Ref:4015823)   #267
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Bernie was Rindt's friend and unpaid manager. According to the recent Motorsport article, he told Rindt to go to Brabham for longevity and Lotus for the Championship. Appears he was sadly correct.
Old 10 Nov 2020, 12:59 (Ref:4015838)   #268
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Don’t think you would have got a decent bet on Clark
He would be favourite against anyone
Old 11 Nov 2020, 09:16 (Ref:4015937)   #269
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post
Don’t think you would have got a decent bet on Clark
He would be favourite against anyone
Clark made it look so smooth and effortless while laying down untouchable laps.

So he would be difficult to bet against.

Saw him in the flesh and the smoothness while just owning the field still resonates, mm perfect every time.
Old 11 Nov 2020, 10:17 (Ref:4015944)   #270
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post

Saw him in the flesh and the smoothness while just owning the field still resonates, mm perfect every time.
That's some admission!! But shouldn't you keep these things private??
Old 11 Nov 2020, 10:20 (Ref:4015946)   #271
wnut
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
That's some admission!! But shouldn't you keep these things private??
Not like that!

Old 11 Nov 2020, 10:45 (Ref:4015951)   #272
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Not like that!

😂😂😂
Old 14 Nov 2020, 22:30 (Ref:4016712)   #273
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
FAS33 User had had their licence endorsedFAS33 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 litre Touring Car Star View Post
This is off topic, and it will be my last post on it. But I quote because here's a guy who's not from Victoria and is a Melbourne Storm fan and he's quoting me, a guy from Melbourne who's a Penrith Panthers fan.

Even I can appreciate the wonderful troll the internet gods have brought upon me.
unlucky mate. Victoria is definitely not the place to be.
Old 15 Nov 2020, 12:05 (Ref:4016869)   #274
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
So, yeah.
Old 15 Nov 2020, 12:09 (Ref:4016875)   #275
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
YES