Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 24 Oct 2020, 13:39 (Ref:4012389)   #7601
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Looks like a track day special to me, but we won't know for sure until Bugatti/Volkswagen Group say something about it.
Old 26 Oct 2020, 11:46 (Ref:4013165)   #7602
Napolis
Veteran

Napolis is going for a new lap record!Napolis is going for a new lap record!Napolis is going for a new lap record!Napolis is going for a new lap record!Napolis is going for a new lap record!Napolis is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
Looks like a track day special to me, but we won't know for sure until Bugatti/Volkswagen Group say something about it.
This is our LHM seating buck. The odds of that Bug being an LMH are zero.
Attached Thumbnails
d4804c4f-d96b-485c-9903-e22bba0dea70.JPG  
Old 26 Oct 2020, 18:12 (Ref:4013256)   #7603
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
I assumed that it had to be one of those limited edition track day or barely legal street supercars. Also based on audio I've heard, it still has the W16 engine in it, which I don't think will fly in LMP1 hypercar.
Old 28 Oct 2020, 15:48 (Ref:4013547)   #7604
DistortedSmile
Racer

Spain
DistortedSmile should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDistortedSmile should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDistortedSmile should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The new Bugatti was officially revealed and as expected it's yet another useless track day hypercar.

The only interesting thing is Bugatti claims it's capable of doing a 3m:07s lap at Le Mans, seems like the same sort of BS PR claim that Aston Martin was pulling with the Valkyrie when they said the road car was going to be faster than an LMP2.
Old 28 Oct 2020, 19:11 (Ref:4013595)   #7605
Napolis
Veteran

Napolis is going for a new lap record!Napolis is going for a new lap record!Napolis is going for a new lap record!Napolis is going for a new lap record!Napolis is going for a new lap record!Napolis is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistortedSmile View Post
The new Bugatti was officially revealed and as expected it's yet another useless track day hypercar.

The only interesting thing is Bugatti claims it's capable of doing a 3m:07s lap at Le Mans, seems like the same sort of BS PR claim that Aston Martin was pulling with the Valkyrie when they said the road car was going to be faster than an LMP2.
Bugatti under VAG has never won any race or set any lap record.
We'd love to race them at Le Mans.
As we'll be lapping at 3:30 and they think they can do a 3:07 why wouldn't they build an LMH?
If they don't want to build an LMH and still want to race us at Le Mans with a track day special we'll show up with our 007 in time attack tune. 950KG and 1200+HP. Feeling lucky Bug?

Last edited by Napolis; 28 Oct 2020 at 19:16.
Old 29 Oct 2020, 07:41 (Ref:4013669)   #7606
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Napolis View Post
As we'll be lapping at 3:30 and they think they can do a 3:07 why wouldn't they build an LMH?
If they don't want to build an LMH and still want to race us at Le Mans with a track day special we'll show up with our 007 in time attack tune. 950KG and 1200+HP. Feeling lucky Bug?
Is that an invitation that you have sent directly to Bugatti/VAG as well?
It would take Time Attack to a whole new media attention level with such names in the fight .
Old 29 Oct 2020, 09:49 (Ref:4013691)   #7607
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I don't see Bugatti coming back, VAG have enough pans to fry as it is. But never say never, after all we still see the odd car compete in minor events
Old 29 Oct 2020, 13:35 (Ref:4013724)   #7608
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post
Is that an invitation that you have sent directly to Bugatti/VAG as well?
It would take Time Attack to a whole new media attention level with such names in the fight .
Can you imagine if manufacturers would actually participate in an event like this at Le Mans? I seem to recall porsche, mclaren, and ferrari not wanting their hypercars to be compared head to head a few years ago. But a "bring your best street car" event at Le Mans would draw huge headlines and us fans would love it!
Old 29 Oct 2020, 18:39 (Ref:4013766)   #7609
Napolis
Veteran

Meanwhile testing our Boot goes on..
https://www.instagram.com/p/CG761cPg...d=duz8xb10n6e4
Old 31 Oct 2020, 05:48 (Ref:4013992)   #7610
Matador
Racer

Matador should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Love to see it.
Old 3 Nov 2020, 07:54 (Ref:4014674)   #7611
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Which VAG brands come back to Le Mans (if any) will be made at the top level of the group - it wont be the individual brands that decide - it will be an overall strategy.

But it does invite the opportunity to build a single 'VAG'chassis and run it with more than one brand using adapted corporate bodywork.
Old 3 Nov 2020, 23:11 (Ref:4014788)   #7612
Napolis
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal View Post
Which VAG brands come back to Le Mans (if any) will be made at the top level of the group - it wont be the individual brands that decide - it will be an overall strategy.

But it does invite the opportunity to build a single 'VAG'chassis and run it with more than one brand using adapted corporate bodywork.
Porsche will likely be there at some point.
Old 4 Nov 2020, 09:07 (Ref:4014821)   #7613
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
i agree Porsche will be back at some time in the future as will Bentley but at the moment the VAG group needs to sort itself out.
Old 6 Nov 2020, 07:38 (Ref:4015127)   #7614
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Porsche will likely be there at some point.
I had heard that, but I wonder who else may come - my point was that with a large mullti branded company like VAG it would be relatively cost effective for a second and maybe third brand to join the party using a common platform - and that could apply to LMH as well as LMDh
Old 10 Nov 2020, 18:13 (Ref:4015879)   #7615
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
https://youtu.be/-9Qnwt1Ubv0
Old 10 Nov 2020, 19:21 (Ref:4015892)   #7616
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
So we’re about to have the final LMP race in WEC. It’s been great while it’s lasted. Let’s see how the Hypercar rules compare
Old 10 Nov 2020, 21:26 (Ref:4015906)   #7617
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyderman View Post
That is the first I'd heard of the v6 version of the P1 engine. Fantastic story! I wonder if they could use it in their future sportscar program in IMSA too?
Old 11 Nov 2020, 05:07 (Ref:4015930)   #7618
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
That is the first I'd heard of the v6 version of the P1 engine. Fantastic story! I wonder if they could use it in their future sportscar program in IMSA too?

I knew about this right after they closed the LMP1 program down. It's good to learn that it may be rekindled.

BTW - The V6 was supposed to go into the following years 919, but then the excrement hit the fan.
Old 11 Nov 2020, 10:40 (Ref:4015948)   #7619
canaglia
Veteran

canaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I knew about this right after they closed the LMP1 program down. It's good to learn that it may be rekindled.

BTW - The V6 was supposed to go into the following years 919, but then the excrement hit the fan.
hard to say since leaked info are few.
Recall that 2-3 years ago there were talks between f1 engine manufacturers about dropping MGU-H and increse V6 displacement to 2-2.2L for next regs engine specs. I think this was the kind of engine porsche was going to develope. At the end f1 manufacturers decide only to drop MGU-H and stick with the actual V6 1.6L for the future.
Old 11 Nov 2020, 13:14 (Ref:4015977)   #7620
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Quote:
Originally Posted by canaglia View Post
hard to say since leaked info are few.
Recall that 2-3 years ago there were talks between f1 engine manufacturers about dropping MGU-H and increse V6 displacement to 2-2.2L for next regs engine specs. I think this was the kind of engine porsche was going to develope. At the end f1 manufacturers decide only to drop MGU-H and stick with the actual V6 1.6L for the future.

Question: "Mr. Enzinger, in the past few years there have been rumors that Porsche, or a brand of the Volkswagen Group, is about to enter Formula 1. How specific were these considerations really?"
Fritz Enzinger: "I might have to go back a little at this point. In our last LMP1 season, 2017, we saw that we were technically at the limit with the two-liter four-cylinder in the Porsche 919 Hybrid. We started there - before the Exit was defined - to work on a six-cylinder. "
"That was in April 2017. That is important because this decision later led to Formula 1."

"In 2017 there were signals from Formula 1 that the regulations were to be changed and that energy recovery from the exhaust gases was no longer required. As of 2017, Porsche was a member of the FIA ​​Manufacturers' Committee in discussions about the future drive strategy in Formula 1 from 2021 involved and represented at the meetings. "
"On the one hand we took part in these working groups, on the other hand the guys developed a six-cylinder engine for the WEC at the same time. Of course we thought about what would have to change if the engine were to be used in Formula 1. There are two ways of doing things like that. "

-Please forgive the google translation

Article appeared in Motorsport Total - May 2019
Old 11 Nov 2020, 13:43 (Ref:4015984)   #7621
canaglia
Veteran

canaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Question: "Mr. Enzinger, in the past few years there have been rumors that Porsche, or a brand of the Volkswagen Group, is about to enter Formula 1. How specific were these considerations really?"
Fritz Enzinger: "I might have to go back a little at this point. In our last LMP1 season, 2017, we saw that we were technically at the limit with the two-liter four-cylinder in the Porsche 919 Hybrid. We started there - before the Exit was defined - to work on a six-cylinder. "
"That was in April 2017. That is important because this decision later led to Formula 1."

"In 2017 there were signals from Formula 1 that the regulations were to be changed and that energy recovery from the exhaust gases was no longer required. As of 2017, Porsche was a member of the FIA ​​Manufacturers' Committee in discussions about the future drive strategy in Formula 1 from 2021 involved and represented at the meetings. "
"On the one hand we took part in these working groups, on the other hand the guys developed a six-cylinder engine for the WEC at the same time. Of course we thought about what would have to change if the engine were to be used in Formula 1. There are two ways of doing things like that. "

-Please forgive the google translation

Article appeared in Motorsport Total - May 2019
You basically confirmed what I have written,
porsche was in f1 next-gen engines specs talks because there were rumors about the introduction of 2-2.2L V6 without MGU-H starting from 2021, the engine base platform porsche could use both in WEC and f1, but reality told that porsche left WEC and f1 will stick with actual thermal engines.
If the 919 V6 was completed or not is basically ininfluent at the moment.
Unless a future use in a porsche LMhypercar or lmdh.
If am I not wrong more than 20 years ago, porsche was developing another f1 engine that later became the 5.6L V10 of carrera gt
Old 11 Nov 2020, 14:24 (Ref:4015997)   #7622
S griffin
Veteran

It was a shame the Porsche engine didn't happen in F1. It missed a good opportunity, but there you go. OTOH it could have been a disaster if they didn't get it right. In reality it would have been tough developing the same engine in both series. You'd think them leaving WEC would have made it happen in F1, but obviously not

But at least they had the plans in place. Hopefully that engine will be more competitive in sportscars. And yes, I do think the engine they used in F1 in the early 90s was used elsewhere, wouldn't surprise me in the slightest
Old 11 Nov 2020, 14:37 (Ref:4016002)   #7623
canaglia
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
It was a shame the Porsche engine didn't happen in F1. It missed a good opportunity, but there you go. OTOH it could have been a disaster if they didn't get it right. In reality it would have been tough developing the same engine in both series. You'd think them leaving WEC would have made it happen in F1, but obviously not

But at least they had the plans in place. Hopefully that engine will be more competitive in sportscars. And yes, I do think the engine they used in F1 in the early 90s was used elsewhere, wouldn't surprise me in the slightest
at the moment there is nothing in the universe that could match fuel/power efficiency of the mercedes V6* and don't think porsche would have been at the same level anyhow, but guess it could have been the perfect partner for redbull after honda drop.

*(unless you find a way to bend the rules as ferrari was able to do last season)
Old 11 Nov 2020, 16:16 (Ref:4016015)   #7624
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Quote:
Originally Posted by canaglia View Post
You basically confirmed what I have written,
porsche was in f1 next-gen engines specs talks because there were rumors about the introduction of 2-2.2L V6 without MGU-H starting from 2021, the engine base platform porsche could use both in WEC and f1, but reality told that porsche left WEC and f1 will stick with actual thermal engines.
If the 919 V6 was completed or not is basically ininfluent at the moment.
Unless a future use in a porsche LMhypercar or lmdh.
If am I not wrong more than 20 years ago, porsche was developing another f1 engine that later became the 5.6L V10 of carrera gt

"At the end of 2017, we received a specific order from our parent company to continue developing a highly efficient six-cylinder despite the exit from LMP1. Not only on paper, but actually as hardware and with the idea that this engine will run on the test bench in 2019. That was the order of the Board to us. " "A Formula 1 engine, as it was planned in the meantime, without exhaust gas energy recovery, can also be interesting for a super sports car. That's why we got the okay for this research project."

-Motorsport Total - May 2019
Old 13 Nov 2020, 01:30 (Ref:4016279)   #7625
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
I know this thread is for future regulations, but DSC had a great article about all of the previous LMP-1 cars to race!

http://www.dailysportscar.com/2020/1...ures.html?s=09

I enjoyed this way more than I expected, it was great to reminisce on all these cars who had such short lives as well as the ones that were dominant.