Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 12 Oct 2020, 03:11 (Ref:4010051)   #1
drbob
Racer

drbob should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
1000 Miglia

Tenthers, has any one done the Mille Miglia recently ?
What are the navigational requirements like ?
Are there tests or circuit events or is it just straight road driving from A to B ?
Old 20 Oct 2020, 06:18 (Ref:4011590)   #2
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Hi Dr Bob, a mate did it a couple of years ago, I'll ask him what they did. Apologies I've just seen your post. I know he's got photos of his Healey Abbot on a circuit, possibly Monza but not sure.
Old 20 Oct 2020, 06:32 (Ref:4011592)   #3
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Usually straight drive with no great navigation skills unless you want to compete in the Italian regulatory stuff which are not tests as we know them
Anything from 100 meters to 100 klm
All to hundredth of second
It’s really a parade of cars for two and a bit days . Driving between car parks.
It’s the people /spectators that make it. Trip through Rome with cops as outriders and Saturday stuff in Senna, Florence, Bologna etc
Old 20 Oct 2020, 06:37 (Ref:4011593)   #4
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Thanks John.
Old 7 Nov 2020, 03:44 (Ref:4015296)   #5
drbob
Racer

Sorry for not replying earlier gentlemen. Thanks. I only saw the replies a few days ago.
It sounds as though it is not really worth attempting to get an entry.
Old 15 Nov 2020, 08:14 (Ref:4016815)   #6
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
It’s worth doing, once!
Old 15 Nov 2020, 21:51 (Ref:4017104)   #7
drbob
Racer

I will have to start looking for a suitable car then John.
Any suggestions
Old 15 Nov 2020, 21:55 (Ref:4017107)   #8
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

All depends on how much you want to spend!
I’ve done it seven times and always in a Talbot105
It’s changed since we originally did it over twenty years ago.
It was really crazy then .
No road traffic rules,no speed limits
Old 15 Nov 2020, 23:23 (Ref:4017134)   #9
drbob
Racer

I’m thinking a pre war car. Then I can do a few HERO type rallies in UK/ Europe
Mega dollars are unfortunately out of the question
When you look at the list of eligible cars Chrysler roadster and MG seem to be in the ballpark.
An Amilcar would be nice but are they too expensive ?
Old 16 Nov 2020, 12:30 (Ref:4017244)   #10
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

Not only do you need a car but a car that the organisers will accept as they are still overwhelmed with entries( but less than twenty years ago)
Not sure which MG is eligible but also good idea to enter from a country that does not have to many requests
My original entry was from UAE.
Won three country prizes . Stood a decent chance as was only entry.
I let someone have a Porsche to use under an Aussie entry.
Old 17 Nov 2020, 22:48 (Ref:4017570)   #11
drbob
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post
Not only do you need a car but a car that the organisers will accept as they are still overwhelmed with entries( but less than twenty years ago)
Not sure which MG is eligible but also good idea to enter from a country that does not have to many requests
My original entry was from UAE.
Won three country prizes . Stood a decent chance as was only entry.
I let someone have a Porsche to use under an Aussie entry.
Lucky Aussie !
Old 18 Nov 2020, 10:53 (Ref:4017632)   #12
Rudernst
Veteran

Germany
Hamburg
Rudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I have done the Mille Miglia twice in 2006 and 2014.

The first time around we just took part in the event completely disregarding the time trials and consequently the ranking. We did that on the advice of fellow historic racers.
With hindsight this was bad advice and a bit arrogant. "we just go as quick as we can and dont bother with stopwatches, thats for sissys anyways"
It was still a great experience, mainly because wildly cheering spectators lined the road to hundreds of miles.
Felt like a huge group hug

Buuut: I felt like an ass turning up at the time trials, not knowing what to do and actually getting in the way of serious competitors, spoiling their chances.

At that time roadbook and regulations were in Italian only, so this explains why we did not understand much.

In 2014 most of the stuff from the organiser was available in English
We understood what to do and with the help of two large digital tea timers off Ebay, a clipboard from Staples and some duct tape for a total cost of 20 Euros we were well prepared.
After the first day, we were 75th in the rankings (from 350 participants if I recall correctly) and had a lot of fun.
We did so well with this basic equipment because both driver and codriver were very good at quick mental arithmetics, and because we gelled as a team.
I precise working speedo would have helped even more, which we were lacking.
We hat a lot of fun that way and did not feel like intruders in the wrong place anymore.
The main difference was: A lot less spectators lining the road, presumably because the Mille Miglia Revival was old news by then.

I am now putting this knowledge to good use in the Motogiro, the motorcycling equivalent of the Mille Miglia.
This year, on my 3rd attempt, I came 5th overall in the Reevocazione Storice class on a small 175 cc Mondial from 1957, quite a feat.
The Motogiro is much much more rider/participant friendly.
Basically we are one big familiy sharing the experience and the camaraderie is wonderfull, if one has problems riders and the organiser will go out of their way to help You
This is different from the Mille Miglia in which some owners of multi million Ferraris and sponsors guests take themselves much more too seriously

The Motogiro has now spawned the Autogiro.
Which seems an alternative to the Mille Miglia
less cost, more fun, less hassle
clearly less glamorous, but more friendly
worth looking at

I want to do the Mille Miglia one more time at some point in my life
I have two eligible cars.
But this can wait.

The lure of the Motogiro for me is 10 times higher than the lure of the Mille Miglia

hope this helps

RudE

Last edited by Rudernst; 18 Nov 2020 at 10:59.
Old 19 Nov 2020, 03:07 (Ref:4017795)   #13
drbob
Racer

Thats helpful information RudE thanks
The Mille Miglia has always been on my bucket list
I will have to start looking for a car
The rest of the bucket list is Le Mans Classic (entry accepted) and Monaco Historic for which I will need a car

drob
Old 19 Nov 2020, 03:45 (Ref:4017797)   #14
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

Now Le Mans Classic should be on everyone’s bucket list!
Old 22 Nov 2020, 14:40 (Ref:4018273)   #15
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by drbob View Post
Thats helpful information RudE thanks
The Mille Miglia has always been on my bucket list
I will have to start looking for a car
The rest of the bucket list is Le Mans Classic (entry accepted) and Monaco Historic for which I will need a car

drob
A friend did a few years back in a Sunbeam Rapier, not a mega bucks car by any stretch.
Old 22 Nov 2020, 14:41 (Ref:4018274)   #16
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

You can also do Tour Auto in a Rapier.
Fiat 500 works
It’s all about getting an entry
Old 22 Nov 2020, 15:42 (Ref:4018285)   #17
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Sometimes a good discussion with PA people helps, they are open minded, do know the business and their stuff quite well. May be you can have a look to the entry lists, the eligibility list has some gaps to fill with cars not qualified or just seen during the first practice called "préliminaires".
Old 22 Nov 2020, 15:52 (Ref:4018291)   #18
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

Rapier is a qualified car as is a 2 CV for Tour Auto
Old 22 Nov 2020, 16:10 (Ref:4018294)   #19
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Yes and much better looking not mentioning the performance!
A 4CV could do for both Mille Miglia and LMC but I dont recommend at all…
Old 25 Nov 2020, 09:37 (Ref:4018658)   #20
drbob
Racer

I already have an accepted entry for the Le Mans Classic in my 1961 Lotus Elite.
So maybe a car that would be eligible for both the 1000 Miglia and Monaco Historic. That would mean, usually, a sports racing car 1952-55 or 57, it seems looking at Monaco grids.
I should look at Monaco GP sports racing cars in period.
Will Monaco Historic be back to its usual slot for 2022 after this years postponement to 2021.
Old 25 Nov 2020, 10:32 (Ref:4018670)   #21
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

Quote:
I already have an accepted entry for the Le Mans Classic in my 1961 Lotus Elite.
So maybe a car that would be eligible for both the 1000 Miglia and Monaco Historic. That would mean, usually, a sports racing car 1952-55 or 57, it seems looking at Monaco grids.
Will Monaco Historic be back to its usual slot for 2022 after this years postponement to 2021.
No Elites in MM nor Monaco!
Monaco on next year.
Old 25 Nov 2020, 15:13 (Ref:4018724)   #22
Rudernst
Veteran

Germany
Hamburg
Rudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
there is a list of eligible cars on the website of the Mille Miglia
best check that
but, as a general guideline
racing on public roads was stopped by law in 1958
because of the De Portage accident during the 1957 Mille Miglia, that killed several spectators
this killed not only the Mille Miglia, but also the Motogiro for motorbikes and the Milano Taranto race, also for motorbikes, all events hugely popular in post war Italy
So, by consequence, any model that debuted after 1957 has zero chance to get into the Mille Miglia.
The only Lotus that can do the Mille Miglia is the Eleven

RudE
Old 1 Dec 2020, 16:13 (Ref:4019954)   #23
retrognome
Racer

retrognome should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridretrognome should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudernst View Post
there is a list of eligible cars on the website of the Mille Miglia
best check that
but, as a general guideline
racing on public roads was stopped by law in 1958
because of the De Portage accident during the 1957 Mille Miglia, that killed several spectators
this killed not only the Mille Miglia, but also the Motogiro for motorbikes and the Milano Taranto race, also for motorbikes, all events hugely popular in post war Italy
So, by consequence, any model that debuted after 1957 has zero chance to get into the Mille Miglia.
The only Lotus that can do the Mille Miglia is the Eleven

RudE
And I believe the only Sunbeam Rapier eligible is a Series One.
Old 1 Dec 2020, 22:15 (Ref:4020034)   #24
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

And when you get through that lot you have to be accepted.
Understand you now pay to be judged!
Old 2 Dec 2020, 07:14 (Ref:4020095)   #25
drbob
Racer

An AH 100M ( post factory ) or an AH 100S recreation replica etc ( sorry about that but a genuine one is out of my price bracket ) will be eligible for MM and Monaco Historic I think.
I will look at those two as long as they have FIA HTP papers