Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 21 Jan 2021, 20:29 (Ref:4030521)   #451
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Next Wednesday at 21.00 hours, BBC 2 is starting a series on the history of Delorean. Whether it will be any good, who knows, but I have set it up to be recorded in case it is interesting.
Hopefully warts and all!

One or two people may not come out of it too well.
Old 21 Jan 2021, 21:02 (Ref:4030525)   #452
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
They are very prevalent here too. Unfortunately the couple who call on me speak English & carry English-language literature, so I cannot even get away with "Sorry, I don't speak French!

Having said that, they are a very pleasant couple & it is difficult to be rude to them.
Sounds like you are an an ideal target for them John.

"Shall we go out and spread the word today, Jean?"

"Of course, Marie. Let us go and practice our English with that nice gentleman in the next village..."
Old 21 Jan 2021, 21:10 (Ref:4030526)   #453
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
Getting fed up with 0203 phone numbers that keep ringing me on my land line and no one on the end ! It's obviously some type of scam that is trying to do something but what ?
Normally someone would try talking you into giving details to get at your money but it's just silent. I assume that they expect you to phone the number that would obviously cost you about a million pounds per minute ? Searching the internet hasn't come up with much but are other 10thers plagued with things like this ?
0203 numbers seem to be very common. They can send any number to the display.

The number of calls to our land line seems to have dropped off in recent weeks. But one I decided to pick up a couple of weeks back advised me that the warranty insurance cover on my washing machine had expired. A young lady form some far flung land.

"My washing machine is 20 years old, why are you calling me ..?" I asked.

Click and the line went dead.

Disappointed really. I would have loved an insurance option given its age.
Old 21 Jan 2021, 21:11 (Ref:4030527)   #454
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Sounds like you are an an ideal target for them John.

"Shall we go out and spread the word today, Jean?"

"Of course, Marie. Let us go and practice our English with that nice gentleman in the next village..."
Since the Wuhu Flu started I don't think they've been knocking on doors, only leaving notes & literature in my mail box. Previously they were a bit persistent, though. If I didn't answer the front door, they would try the back, so no hiding in the kitchen!
Old 21 Jan 2021, 21:57 (Ref:4030534)   #455
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

If anyone fancies a Delorean warm up video try this one. I stumbled across it a few weeks ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzTe3dIfv-c
Old 22 Jan 2021, 00:14 (Ref:4030546)   #456
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
If anyone fancies a Delorean warm up video try this one. I stumbled across it a few weeks ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzTe3dIfv-c
I actually know someone that had a fair bit of money tied up with Colin Chapman at the time that the s**t hit the fan, he was very worried at the time !https://tcct.com/news/2020/04/the-my...ted-the-lotus/
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 22 Jan 2021, 12:40 (Ref:4030623)   #457
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
I actually know someone that had a fair bit of money tied up with Colin Chapman at the time that the s**t hit the fan, he was very worried at the time !https://tcct.com/news/2020/04/the-my...ted-the-lotus/

Very interesting. Does make you wonder a bit, but the truth is we’ll never know.
Old 22 Jan 2021, 13:08 (Ref:4030636)   #458
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

I just had one of the oddest probable spam phone calls I can remember.

A local number appeared and for once I decided to answer and maybe have some fun with it.

A robotic voice (like old school robot voices, somewhat akin to a Dalek sound) was delivering a message that "seemed" to have started before the call connected. Something about someone placing an order an "your" account for an iPad. If not "your" order hit a number to be connected to some department to discuss the matter.

No mention of a company name BUT of course one might assume that the early start to the message means one had missed it. It repeated the part about responding by hitting a button and that was that.

The local (Nottingham) number, when searched, offers no information although the same number lists in New Delhi. That might be coincidence.

I wonder if such a scam would also work via an answerphone message?. I suppose the scam nature of the call depends on whether they really do have "ownership" of the number used.

Has anyone else experienced this sort of automated cold call already?
Old 22 Jan 2021, 13:17 (Ref:4030642)   #459
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I think I've bought 6 or 7 iPads recently.
Old 22 Jan 2021, 13:38 (Ref:4030649)   #460
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I just had one of the oddest probable spam phone calls I can remember.

A local number appeared and for once I decided to answer and maybe have some fun with it.

A robotic voice (like old school robot voices, somewhat akin to a Dalek sound) was delivering a message that "seemed" to have started before the call connected. Something about someone placing an order an "your" account for an iPad. If not "your" order hit a number to be connected to some department to discuss the matter.

No mention of a company name BUT of course one might assume that the early start to the message means one had missed it. It repeated the part about responding by hitting a button and that was that.

The local (Nottingham) number, when searched, offers no information although the same number lists in New Delhi. That might be coincidence.

I wonder if such a scam would also work via an answerphone message?. I suppose the scam nature of the call depends on whether they really do have "ownership" of the number used.

Has anyone else experienced this sort of automated cold call already?
You do get all the fun!

I just get a text message about once a month with a picture of a young(ish) lady - a different one each time - and the words something like 'you & me?'. They usually look a bit East European though.
Old 22 Jan 2021, 13:56 (Ref:4030657)   #461
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
You do get all the fun!

I just get a text message about once a month with a picture of a young(ish) lady - a different one each time - and the words something like 'you & me?'. They usually look a bit East European though.
These sound not dis-similar to the 'Friend Requests' I used to get on facebook a while ago. They seem to have petered out now.
Old 22 Jan 2021, 13:59 (Ref:4030660)   #462
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I just had one of the oddest probable spam phone calls I can remember.A local number appeared and for once I decided to answer and maybe have some fun with it.A robotic voice (like old school robot voices, somewhat akin to a Dalek sound) was delivering a message that "seemed" to have started before the call connected. Something about someone placing an order an "your" account for an iPad. If not "your" order hit a number to be connected to some department to discuss the matter.No mention of a company name BUT of course one might assume that the early start to the message means one had missed it. It repeated the part about responding by hitting a button and that was that. The local (Nottingham) number, when searched, offers no information although the same number lists in New Delhi. That might be coincidence.I wonder if such a scam would also work via an answerphone message?. I suppose the scam nature of the call depends on whether they really do have "ownership" of the number used.Has anyone else experienced this sort of automated cold call already?

I had exactly the same call yesterday morning but didn't look at the caller i.d. to check the number. I reponded with two words ending in 'off'.
Old 22 Jan 2021, 15:14 (Ref:4030689)   #463
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Excellent. As long as this is the new normal all is well.

3 in the last couple of hours.

Purporting to come from Nottingham, Reading and Edinburgh.

All from numbers that also seem to exist in India. And, no doubt, a few other places.
Old 22 Jan 2021, 16:30 (Ref:4030710)   #464
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
They do seem to blitz you for the day. Thankfully nothing here since the other day.
Old 22 Jan 2021, 18:49 (Ref:4030734)   #465
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Before we had these phone callers we used to get the cold calling at the door "Jehovah's Whiteness" that were a pain. However my father in law (RIP) was a very intelligent man (ex headmaster) who used to delight in talking at length to them about anything that came into his head at the time, they would then look at each other and quickly go away !

My race partner is a retired biology teacher - when visited by Mormons or Witnesses he used to take great delight in engaging them in earnest debate about the origin of life. It got to the stage where he reckoned the local Elders used to bring new canvassers round to him so that they could be better prepared to tackle critical comment

Where I live we sometimes get a visit from some group or other selflessly wanting to save my soul - who usually look very sorry for me and my profound atheism, but I've found them unfailingly polite, and I usually thank them for their concern and wish them well

New twist on the phone call situation today - a call on my mobile from someone who said he'd just had a missed call from me, and seemed genuinely surprised when I explained that my phone was on charge and hadn't been touched for the last couple of hours. Maybe the scammers are starting to use "cloned" or just random mobile numbers. I know that most displayed numbers on other scam calls are fake, so presumably they can fake a mobile number too......
Old 22 Jan 2021, 19:08 (Ref:4030739)   #466
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
They can even call you with your own number: http://www.crazycall.net/an.php
Old 23 Jan 2021, 06:23 (Ref:4030780)   #467
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
This is a bit of a sad tale.

A motorcycle and car museum in the Alps (Austria) destroyed in a fire. 230 classic motorcycles from over 100 different manufacturers including Brough Superior, Vincent, Matchless, Sunbeam, Zündapp and many more.

It was closed for Covid reasons but due to open again in a few days. Spectacular setting from the pictures, and quite an access road too.

I wonder if any of our Euro HRT members have been to or know it.

Pics and story with video:

https://www.wapcar.my/bm/video-muziu...terbakar-22749
Old 23 Jan 2021, 06:56 (Ref:4030781)   #468
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Alors toi aussi tu te mets Ã* jouer Ã* Mr Killjoy, le samedi matin! C'est pas sympa, c'est en train de devenir une maison de gériatrie la semaine et, le week end venu, on enterre les morts.
Allez, regarde plutôt ça, c'est pas loin de ta nouvelle maison:https://www.australie-guidebackpacke...D%29%20More%20
In one word: Elvis is alive!
Old 23 Jan 2021, 07:03 (Ref:4030783)   #469
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Alors toi aussi tu te mets Ã* jouer Ã* Mr Killjoy, le samedi matin! C'est pas sympa, c'est en train de devenir une maison de gériatrie la semaine et, le week end venu, on enterre les morts.
Allez, regarde plutôt ça, c'est pas loin de ta nouvelle maison:https://www.australie-guidebackpacke...D%29%20More%20
In one word: Elvis is alive!
Can't you count to three, Gerard??
Old 23 Jan 2021, 07:07 (Ref:4030784)   #470
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
If you really want to laugh, do what you do the best, French-bashing! No effort needed, just put together the last fifteen days news, about vaccine, our prez' angriness and so on. Even Kafka is far far behind, Ubu too.Quel pays de merde c'est devenu! In several words, de Gaulle est mort et enterré.
Old 23 Jan 2021, 07:08 (Ref:4030785)   #471
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Too many words for me to count, can you help John, please?
Old 23 Jan 2021, 07:21 (Ref:4030788)   #472
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Been to a few of them and can recommend Fraser Island. Brilliant fun. In a 4WD from the hire shop and not your own! One end to the other along the waters edge at whatever speed, and back again. All day trip. Watch out for the buses. (Im serious)
Whitsundays are great also. Took my parents there when they came to visit . Noosa is gorgeous and I could live there at the drop of a hat.
Bells Beach is quite close to me in Melbourne but a bit cold for me to swim. Good for surfing though. And the Great Ocean Road is a gem to drive.
I think Bondi is totally overrated.
Only trouble with Aussie Beaches are what you have to share the water with, particularly the further North you go. (I dont mean the people!)
Old 23 Jan 2021, 08:45 (Ref:4030795)   #473
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
No, no, on the contrary talk about people. I mean gorgeous girls and boys! Comme ça, il y en a pour tout le monde…
Old 23 Jan 2021, 12:13 (Ref:4030809)   #474
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
This is a bit of a sad tale.

A motorcycle and car museum in the Alps (Austria) destroyed in a fire. 230 classic motorcycles from over 100 different manufacturers including Brough Superior, Vincent, Matchless, Sunbeam, Zündapp and many more.

It was closed for Covid reasons but due to open again in a few days. Spectacular setting from the pictures, and quite an access road too.

I wonder if any of our Euro HRT members have been to or know it.

Pics and story with video:

https://www.wapcar.my/bm/video-muziu...terbakar-22749
As you say, a sad loss. Have to say I've never heard of the place but it looks like a spectacular setting.
Old 24 Jan 2021, 22:14 (Ref:4030989)   #475
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Well I had the Oxford vaccination earlier this evening and it seems to be working, I've read the Origins of the Species and the Complete Works of William Shakespeare already
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Closed Thread