Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 18 Feb 2021, 14:16 (Ref:4035712)   #2751
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
i think i still have one of those, although not quite in such good condition
What, a freebie ticket? I have three enceintes generales from 1989. I still need a G category 'B' ticket.
Attached Thumbnails
Capture.JPG  
Old 18 Feb 2021, 14:18 (Ref:4035713)   #2752
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
You don’t have to go there to apply for a free ticket?
Old 18 Feb 2021, 17:27 (Ref:4035764)   #2753
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
i think mine is the top left one
Old 19 Feb 2021, 11:16 (Ref:4035841)   #2754
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
You don’t have to go there to apply for a free ticket?
I'd never seen a free ticket before.
Old 23 Feb 2021, 14:38 (Ref:4036440)   #2755
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
I'd never seen a free ticket before.
We got some free tickets for the practice weekend one year. We were still on the waiting list for the Houx campsite and the ACO said it was easier to give us some gratis tickets rather than half-dispatch our order of 'real' tickets.

I also got a re-print of a grandstand ticket when I lost it in town one Friday (or may have been pickpocketed etc) - the ticket office helpfully wrote 'this is the real ticket' in biro on it in case someone turned up with the original
Old 24 Feb 2021, 11:46 (Ref:4036609)   #2756
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckosaurus View Post
We got some free tickets for the practice weekend one year. We were still on the waiting list for the Houx campsite and the ACO said it was easier to give us some gratis tickets rather than half-dispatch our order of 'real' tickets.

I also got a re-print of a grandstand ticket when I lost it in town one Friday (or may have been pickpocketed etc) - the ticket office helpfully wrote 'this is the real ticket' in biro on it in case someone turned up with the original
That's hilarious!

My ticket collection has expanded considerably. Yesterday I received an unused 1986 enceintes generales, still with the practice tear off. It's now 35 years old but looks as though it's just been issued.....
Old 25 Feb 2021, 01:48 (Ref:4036854)   #2757
WyldStallion
Veteran

WyldStallion should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWyldStallion should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWyldStallion should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Do you think Le Mans needs GT cars in the future beyond 2023? If LMDH is the hotbed for privateers like the word on the street has it then between LMH, LMDH, and LMP2. That alone could give you a 48-60 car grid for the Le Mans 24. Remember in the 1980s through 1992 it was 100% prototype.

From GT perspective, they don't need Le Mans like they used to. In the age of streaming and youtube, the Spa 24 hours and Nurburgring 24 are much much higher profile races now compared to around the year 2010. My opinion is that GTE Pro will be gone after this year or 2022 and it WON'T be replaced.
Old 25 Feb 2021, 09:47 (Ref:4036897)   #2758
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
They are still building out the new pit complex for 2023 right? Or has COVID hampered that project?

A 20-car top class feels like a good stretch goal for 2023. Would depend a bit on US take-up I imagine. But beyond that, like you say WyldStallion (is that a Bill & Ted reference btw?) if customer cars really ramp up and we get more new manufacturers - it's going to be tasty. You'd imagine that the likes of Toyota would move back up to three cars to cover off the increased competition.

For 2023 something like:
20 LMH/DH
20 LMP2
25 GT

That's assuming they can stretch to 65 garages. But between WEC auto-invites, assumed increased American interest and continuing to push AsLMS. It's going to be near impossible. Return of qualifying maybe? I'd certainly be up for a significant reduction in GT cars but I think it would be a massive shame to remove that class from Le Mans.
Old 1 Mar 2021, 07:31 (Ref:4037536)   #2759
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
...but I think it would be a massive shame to remove that class from Le Mans.
Indeed. Having 'road going' style GT cars is such a part of LM history I can't see them ever removing the class, even if they could fill the grid with prototypes.
Old 1 Mar 2021, 11:57 (Ref:4037586)   #2760
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Indeed. Having 'road going' style GT cars is such a part of LM history I can't see them ever removing the class, even if they could fill the grid with prototypes.
I don't think so either, but there was a long period in the 80's/early 90s when prototypes had the whole grid.
Old 1 Mar 2021, 12:03 (Ref:4037592)   #2761
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The last road going gt and sports cars must have been 1970 after that the non prototypes were group 2 touring cars. The current "road going" cars are not really in that spirit. Even the Viper GTS was not a car for the road, just too difficult to control for day to day use.

The Corvettes, Porsches and the late Ford GTs are also track based IMO.
Old 1 Mar 2021, 12:45 (Ref:4037602)   #2762
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
i agree they are not really road cars, but they do pass a reasonable resemblance to cars we could drive if we had the money.
Old 2 Mar 2021, 07:40 (Ref:4037801)   #2763
Samoan Attorney
Racer

Samoan Attorney should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSamoan Attorney should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSamoan Attorney should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
The last road going gt and sports cars must have been 1970 after that the non prototypes were group 2 touring cars. The current "road going" cars are not really in that spirit. Even the Viper GTS was not a car for the road, just too difficult to control for day to day use.

The Corvettes, Porsches and the late Ford GTs are also track based IMO.
I would suggest that the McLaren F1 GTR was fundamentally a road car, the '95 cars in particular. Witness the number of them that are registered for the road such as #06R and #12R.
Old 2 Mar 2021, 07:50 (Ref:4037802)   #2764
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Good point.
Old 2 Mar 2021, 10:53 (Ref:4037857)   #2765
Le Vieux
Veteran

Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!
The name we give to a class is surely not important.

The cars in the GT classes bear only a passing resemblance to what can be bought in a showroom. They're no longer road-going cars.

Equally, what started out in 1949 as prototypes - e.g. pre-production versions of vehicles that might have gone on sale to the public once developed, now have no similarities with production models.

The only thing we can say is that the GT classes are more in line with the original 1923 reasons for the race.

Personally, I like the mix. I already find LMP2 a little boring (they all look the same, just like F1 cars all look the same) and it's good to see a variety of vehicles on the track.

If it came to the crunch, I'd sooner see all GT than all prototypes.
Old 2 Mar 2021, 10:59 (Ref:4037859)   #2766
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Vieux View Post
The name we give to a class is surely not important.

The cars in the GT classes bear only a passing resemblance to what can be bought in a showroom. They're no longer road-going cars.
This was my point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Vieux View Post
Equally, what started out in 1949 as prototypes - e.g. pre-production versions of vehicles that might have gone on sale to the public once developed, now have no similarities with production models.

The only thing we can say is that the GT classes are more in line with the original 1923 reasons for the race.

Personally, I like the mix. I already find LMP2 a little boring (they all look the same, just like F1 cars all look the same) and it's good to see a variety of vehicles on the track.

If it came to the crunch, I'd sooner see all GT than all prototypes.
No argument from me. I watched Le Mans a couple of weeks ago and noted the presence of "road going" Porsche 911s. I'm sure they were modified but nonetheless were probably the last time race modified road cars were entered. The McLaren was always homologated for racing and thus needed relatively little modification to race. The Viper was a complete beast in anything but road going trim. I once saw someone with one on a track display at Spa. Must have spun at every corner!
Old 2 Mar 2021, 11:26 (Ref:4037871)   #2767
Samoan Attorney
Racer

Samoan Attorney should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSamoan Attorney should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSamoan Attorney should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
This was my point.

No argument from me. I watched Le Mans a couple of weeks ago and noted the presence of "road going" Porsche 911s. I'm sure they were modified but nonetheless were probably the last time race modified road cars were entered. The McLaren was always homologated for racing and thus needed relatively little modification to race. The Viper was a complete beast in anything but road going trim. I once saw someone with one on a track display at Spa. Must have spun at every corner!
Whilst agreeing with the points that you make, the McLaren F1 was never intended to race when first conceived, this was the clear position at the time from Ron Dennis, Gordon Murray and Peter Stevens. Ray Bellm forced their hand in '94 when he declared his intention to enter BPR in '95. They figured that if the car was going to race then they should control the project, and also profit from it. Bellm also recruited Thomas Bscher and Lindsay Owen-Jones to purchase cars, the three F1 GTRs appeared at Jerez in February '95 and the rest is history.
Old 2 Mar 2021, 12:30 (Ref:4037901)   #2768
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I know the McLaren F1 was a dream of Gordon, creating a car whilst not being restricted by rules. And you have to say he did a good job. Also was a shrewd move by Mr Bellm to race it at Le Mans, as that turned out to be quite successful and added more to the cars legacy. Look forward to more McLaren road cars in the future
Old 4 Mar 2021, 16:11 (Ref:4038683)   #2769
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
2021 race moved to August.......
Old 25 May 2021, 13:56 (Ref:4053320)   #2770
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
If I've asked this question before, forgive me. I've assumed that there was no official race programme for Le Mans last year, but is that correct? I ask only because a programme was issued for this year's Spa WEC race which was held behind closed doors. (I know, because I have one).
Old 25 May 2021, 17:49 (Ref:4053354)   #2771
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
There was one for the Sebring race that was cancelled too! I have that.
Old 26 May 2021, 20:12 (Ref:4053490)   #2772
ATLFalconsFAN
Veteran

United States
Stockton, CA
ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
If I've asked this question before, forgive me. I've assumed that there was no official race programme for Le Mans last year, but is that correct? I ask only because a programme was issued for this year's Spa WEC race which was held behind closed doors. (I know, because I have one).
I'm 99% certain there was not. I have a friend who is one of the primary sponsors for Rebellion. He was at the race (sent me videos from the garage that drove me nuts!). I asked him, he said no programs. He did get me a unique, branded Le Mans face mask though.

Worst part of it was that he had my wife and I both signed up for their hospitality and a seat in the garage for the race.
Old 26 May 2021, 20:15 (Ref:4053492)   #2773
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Man, that's a real shame, especially as the Rebs threw in the towel afterwards. I thought that must be the case with the programme otherwise one or two would have cropped up on eBay now for extortionate prices. (Although I have seen on there a race poster for the original June dates).
Old 27 May 2021, 06:20 (Ref:4053515)   #2774
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
I guess the program is always printed fairly close to the race, so as to get the most up to date entry info correct, so not surprising one wasn't printed as the 'closed doors' decision was made well in advance.

There might be a 95% complete version sat on someone's computer.

Relatedly, is there a 2020 Yearbook? (I don't think I've got the 2019 one either, as it is usually a tradition to buy it at the race)
Old 27 May 2021, 07:19 (Ref:4053518)   #2775
dwh43scale
Veteran

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
dwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I guess the program is always printed fairly close to the race, so as to get the most up to date entry info correct, so not surprising one wasn't printed as the 'closed doors' decision was made well in advance.

There might be a 95% complete version sat on someone's computer.

Relatedly, is there a 2020 Yearbook? (I don't think I've got the 2019 one either, as it is usually a tradition to buy it at the race)
Yes to 2020 - Grand Prix Models (no doubt amongst others) have it in stock.