Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 29 Mar 2021, 13:20 (Ref:4043711)   #226
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Agreed. To RB's credit they really did just accept it quickly.

If anything, Max was more questioning the timing of give back and or discussion about whether he should have taken the penalty amd not a woe is me rant.

I thought it very mature by RB and a clear sign their focus is on a long season and not on the often odd and evolving FIA rule book.
Old 29 Mar 2021, 13:25 (Ref:4043713)   #227
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
Agreed. To RB's credit they really did just accept it quickly.

If anything, Max was more questioning the timing of give back and or discussion about whether he should have taken the penalty amd not a woe is me rant.

I thought it very mature by RB and a clear sign their focus is on a long season and not on the often odd and evolving FIA rule book.
I noticed this too. They were very grown up about it. Really good to see from Max and the team.
Old 29 Mar 2021, 14:20 (Ref:4043719)   #228
Taxi645
Veteran

Netherlands
Taxi645 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTaxi645 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This all could be avoided and self-solved by putting a 1-1.5m wide lower grip surface between the kerb and the outside tarmac. No one would go wide then because it is self-punishing. No need to discuss, check, change or punish before, during and after. In my view it would be a breath of fresh air.
Constructive discussion: A conversion where participants are maximally open to yet critical of each others (and their own) arguments, with the intend of enhancing the knowledge, understanding and/or handling of it's subject.
Old 29 Mar 2021, 14:43 (Ref:4043724)   #229
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxi645 View Post
This all could be avoided and self-solved by putting a 1-1.5m wide lower grip surface between the kerb and the outside tarmac. No one would go wide then because it is self-punishing. No need to discuss, check, change or punish before, during and after. In my view it would be a breath of fresh air.

What I’ve been saying for ages. Cars will always go off track and these constant track limit investigations are very wearisome. Just have run offs where cars can’t gain an advantage
Old 29 Mar 2021, 14:50 (Ref:4043726)   #230
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
What I’ve been saying for ages. Cars will always go off track and these constant track limit investigations are very wearisome. Just have run offs where cars can’t gain an advantage
This is why silverstone works particularly well. Kerb, 1.5m grass, tarmac, gravel
Old 29 Mar 2021, 15:03 (Ref:4043729)   #231
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Gravel and tarmac run-off areas are a necessary evil. Kerbs aren't, at least not the sort of kerbs that have gradually grown up on race tracks everywhere. A kerb need only be a small strip of concrete to stop the edge of the tarmac crumbling. So now the only problem is how to stop drivers deliberately going off track.

Inside and outside of corners are different problems.

Inside: Remember those tyre bundles that caused so much havoc at Monza about 20 years ago. There wasn't much wrong with them except they needed to be tethered so they couldn't roll onto the track. Of course old tyres would be far too low-tech for F1 these days, so they would need to be made of carbon fibre for lightness, and then part filled with spent uranium to increase their weight. Just something perched on the apex that is hard enough and heavy enough to risk damage if you hit it.

Outside: Taxi's low friction strip is one worthy idea. Another would be a drop-down step so going off the road would be harmless, but getting back on would require a time-consuming route around some obstacles. Or maybe just a proper high kerb. Or a long string of tyre bundles (see hi-tech alternative above) fastened together but not fastened to the ground. They would safely decelerate a car hitting them, but would make getting back to the road a bit time-consuming and therefore not something to risk deliberately.

The mighty brains of F1 could surely come up with something if the incentive and motivation was there.
Old 29 Mar 2021, 15:35 (Ref:4043739)   #232
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The specific bit they were running wide on is actually turn 5 on the outer circuit. Putting something slippery there would be... less than optimal.

Putting something big & heavy there would be perfect. A movable wall made from concrete blocks would do the job.
Old 29 Mar 2021, 15:41 (Ref:4043742)   #233
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
The specific bit they were running wide on is actually turn 5 on the outer circuit. Putting something slippery there would be... less than optimal.

Putting something big & heavy there would be perfect. A movable wall made from concrete blocks would do the job.

Old 29 Mar 2021, 16:07 (Ref:4043750)   #234
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post

Something sticky like treacle could do the trick!
Old 29 Mar 2021, 17:09 (Ref:4043761)   #235
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
My preferred option would be a moat.......
Old 29 Mar 2021, 17:41 (Ref:4043769)   #236
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Hrm... that could be used if the outer circuit was used for rallies or rallycross... There's an idea!
Old 29 Mar 2021, 17:43 (Ref:4043773)   #237
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
I noticed this too. They were very grown up about it. Really good to see from Max and the team.
It may very well be an act of maturity by everyone involved. I also sort of wondered if they are maybe just a bit giddy in that Mercedes maybe wasn't sandbagging in testing and that they are starting the season on a more equal position. Plus that the loss was more on them than a dominant Mercedes.

Richard
Old 29 Mar 2021, 17:56 (Ref:4043778)   #238
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
It may very well be an act of maturity by everyone involved. I also sort of wondered if they are maybe just a bit giddy in that Mercedes maybe wasn't sandbagging in testing and that they are starting the season on a more equal position. Plus that the loss was more on them than a dominant Mercedes.

Richard
meanwhile Otmar apparently spent the post race trying to tell the officials that the rules have very much negatively affected teams with a low rake set up.

i think RB have a lot to be hopeful for this season!

for sure Merc will remain the top Merc powered team but their advantage at almost every track looks to be waning. im hopeful that on outright pace, the Mclaren may even be able to beat the factory team at one or two venues!
Old 29 Mar 2021, 18:50 (Ref:4043795)   #239
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post

Richard
I’m sure on some level they are ****ed. It may well be an act, but realizing that they should act mature shows some level of maturity. I’ll give them credit for that.
Old 29 Mar 2021, 22:10 (Ref:4043822)   #240
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
meanwhile Otmar apparently spent the post race trying to tell the officials that the rules have very much negatively affected teams with a low rake set up.
The problem of running a car someone else designed is that your team of engineers don’t understand it enough.
Old 29 Mar 2021, 22:30 (Ref:4043825)   #241
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
The problem of running a car someone else designed is that your team of engineers don’t understand it enough.

Well played!
Old 30 Mar 2021, 02:03 (Ref:4043840)   #242
bathurst77
Veteran

Australia
Biding my time in Vandemonia
bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!bathurst77 has a real shot at the podium!
Surely in 2021 we can put a sensor on every car, like lane keeping sensors on road car. Then the rule is simple, you cannot cross the line ANYWHERE.
If you cross the line, a light goes on your dash, your team and stewards are instantly notified. Except if you spin etc, theres a penalty. All corners and straights, all drivers, all the time.. fair.
In every other sport there is a outline to the field/court/playspace and you have to stay in it full time.
Old 30 Mar 2021, 07:25 (Ref:4043858)   #243
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
This is almost certainly a factor you would think.

I was amazed how well they did with it last year though, so no reason they can't figure it out again this season.
Old 30 Mar 2021, 07:34 (Ref:4043859)   #244
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
This is almost certainly a factor you would think.

I was amazed how well they did with it last year though, so no reason they can't figure it out again this season.
Last year they had the 2019 set ups, now they need to come up with new ideas, when the whole concept of the car is the virtual opposite of their own which was developed over many years.
Old 30 Mar 2021, 08:16 (Ref:4043862)   #245
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bathurst77 View Post
Surely in 2021 we can put a sensor on every car, like lane keeping sensors on road car. Then the rule is simple, you cannot cross the line ANYWHERE.
If you cross the line, a light goes on your dash, your team and stewards are instantly notified. Except if you spin etc, theres a penalty. All corners and straights, all drivers, all the time.. fair.
In every other sport there is a outline to the field/court/playspace and you have to stay in it full time.

One would like to believe that it is not beyond the wits of the FIA to properly monitor this, because the world's athletics' authorities have been disqualifying runners for straying outside of their lanes during sprint races for donkeys' years.
Old 30 Mar 2021, 08:19 (Ref:4043863)   #246
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
They already do this with pressure pads at a lot of circuits.
Old 30 Mar 2021, 08:49 (Ref:4043868)   #247
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
They've made a rod for their own backs by allowing it to happen for so long, sometimes penalising, sometimes not plus an unhealthy dose of apparent ambivalence about whether to apply the rule or not - even in the same meeting. It is totally ridiculous.
Old 30 Mar 2021, 09:47 (Ref:4043883)   #248
Taxi645
Veteran

Netherlands
Taxi645 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTaxi645 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why rely on tedious penalties when you can design the tracks to handle it instantly and automatically themselves?
Old 30 Mar 2021, 10:59 (Ref:4043893)   #249
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Why rely on tedious penalties when you can design the tracks to handle it instantly and automatically themselves?
What would we talk about then?
Old 30 Mar 2021, 11:12 (Ref:4043895)   #250
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

That's too obvious a solution. This is Formula 1, if a way can be found to over complicate something, then it will.