Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 3 Apr 2021, 12:15 (Ref:4044462)   #7926
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Stop sitting on the fence, truebeliever. What do you really think about the ACO?
Old 3 Apr 2021, 19:24 (Ref:4044500)   #7927
truebeliever
Racer

truebeliever should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridtruebeliever should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post
Stop sitting on the fence, truebeliever. What do you really think about the ACO?
If I did that, that would be just nasty!!

I suppose I should just see the French logic, that says you screw up a successful, well supported class (LMP2), in order to support a new ''Premier'' class with a few OEM supporters!

Wouldn't the logical path have been to make the Hypercars quicker, and leave P2 as it was?

But I suppose that logic has never been an ACO hallmark. They could have made a new regulation = no P2 can ever lead a lap over a Hypercar, you get a 1/2/3 minute stop and go for that! I am sure the OEM's would be in favor.
Old 3 Apr 2021, 23:15 (Ref:4044512)   #7928
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Well, this is what happens when the ACO uses the Hypercar rules to revive their not significantly under 3:30 laptime obsession for the top class.
Old 4 Apr 2021, 00:39 (Ref:4044519)   #7929
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by truebeliever View Post

Wouldn't the logical path have been to make the Hypercars quicker, and leave P2 as it was?
Well if Aston hadn't started with what appears to be a dog (for this class and speed of racing) of a car and had quit earlier we might not be in this mess at all
Old 4 Apr 2021, 00:59 (Ref:4044521)   #7930
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
Well, this is what happens when the ACO uses the Hypercar rules to revive their not significantly under 3:30 laptime obsession for the top class.
I think the fans have more of an obsession over this than what the ACO ever did.
Old 4 Apr 2021, 01:43 (Ref:4044523)   #7931
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
I don't think most fans want to see the top class restricted to 3:30 at LM. The ACO have been pushing for it since at least 2007.

Whatever the reason, or the ACO making the Hypercars that much slower by default by making them so overweight, it's caused a stack up that might even see GTE nerfed. Which GTE got aero and power boost because GT3 got GT1 influenced aero on them a few years back.

Granted, making the LMP1/LMH cars so portly will reduce costs by default, but wanna know what would've done that too? Reducing the reliance on hybrid systems for power, and reducing their urge to kiss up to OEMs in exchange for cash.

Last edited by chernaudi; 4 Apr 2021 at 01:48.
Old 4 Apr 2021, 01:46 (Ref:4044524)   #7932
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
hondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridhondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I do not understand why there is so much obsession to protect LMP2 in this forum.
LMP2 is a spec category, ORECA-Gibson Spec category!!!!!!!
Sports car lovers hate Spec categories like me!!!!
The ACO killed the real LMP2, when was Porsche RS spyder vs Acura ARX.
Hypercars allows again the variety and I love this variety I HATE the SPEC category like LMP2!!!!
Old 4 Apr 2021, 07:45 (Ref:4044540)   #7933
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I don't know if 3:30 is the right level to aim at for the top class but the Circuit de la Sarthe is a Grade 2 street track. If the cars just keep getting faster, at some point the FIA will step in due to safety concerns. Or we end up with more tarmac runoff, barriers moved back etc etc.

Who cares if the top class runs 3:15 or 3:30, the issue here is the mess the ACO have made of the relative speeds of the classes. The latest knee jerk reaction of more weight, less downforce and less power could have been mandated months ago, or even announced at the same time as the unified LMH/LMDh regs.
Old 4 Apr 2021, 09:31 (Ref:4044564)   #7934
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike E View Post
I don't know if 3:30 is the right level to aim at for the top class but the Circuit de la Sarthe is a Grade 2 street track. If the cars just keep getting faster, at some point the FIA will step in due to safety concerns. Or we end up with more tarmac runoff, barriers moved back etc etc.

Who cares if the top class runs 3:15 or 3:30, the issue here is the mess the ACO have made of the relative speeds of the classes. The latest knee jerk reaction of more weight, less downforce and less power could have been mandated months ago, or even announced at the same time as the unified LMH/LMDh regs.
Agreed on not necessarily being fussed about the average laptime. But I get the feeling they will continue to neuter the track regardless of what the stopwatch says.
Old 4 Apr 2021, 14:49 (Ref:4044595)   #7935
WyldStallion
Veteran

WyldStallion should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWyldStallion should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWyldStallion should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondafan37 View Post
I do not understand why there is so much obsession to protect LMP2 in this forum.
LMP2 is a spec category, ORECA-Gibson Spec category!!!!!!!
Sports car lovers hate Spec categories like me!!!!
The ACO killed the real LMP2, when was Porsche RS spyder vs Acura ARX.
Hypercars allows again the variety and I love this variety I HATE the SPEC category like LMP2!!!!
This is the most awesomnest comment I have seen on this forum in a long time. Here Here. 100% agree.
Old 6 Apr 2021, 13:25 (Ref:4044824)   #7936
peetleouf
Rookie

France
Drôme
peetleouf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ACO wanted faster Hypercars, but the merger with imsa's LMDh has forced the Hypercar category to slow down.
So, you don't want the ACO / IMSA merging?
Old 6 Apr 2021, 14:52 (Ref:4044836)   #7937
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by peetleouf View Post
ACO wanted faster Hypercars, but the merger with imsa's LMDh has forced the Hypercar category to slow down.
Ummm, that's not correct at all. Every single thing you said was incorrect there
Old 6 Apr 2021, 15:17 (Ref:4044838)   #7938
SnoodyMcFlude
Veteran

United Kingdom
SnoodyMcFlude should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnoodyMcFlude should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Pretty sure the ACO always said that they wanted Hypercars to be targeting 3:30 at Le Mans, and being BOPped to that lap time. As I recall, that was before proper talks began to have a class which would be eligible in both IMSA and ACO series.
Old 6 Apr 2021, 15:23 (Ref:4044839)   #7939
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I don’t think laptime should be that important and BoP will always be tough to implement. Anyway I look forward to how the Hypercars go. And with IMSA having an uncertain future and ACO having their own problems to deal with, I can’t see them having IMSA cars joining in at Le Mans
Old 6 Apr 2021, 15:28 (Ref:4044840)   #7940
Napolis
Veteran

Napolis is going for a new lap record!Napolis is going for a new lap record!Napolis is going for a new lap record!Napolis is going for a new lap record!Napolis is going for a new lap record!Napolis is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoodyMcFlude View Post
Pretty sure the ACO always said that they wanted Hypercars to be targeting 3:30 at Le Mans, and being BOPped to that lap time. As I recall, that was before proper talks began to have a class which would be eligible in both IMSA and ACO series.
That time and the reduction in HP from 870 to 670 was part of the desire to enable convergence. We were part of those discussions and agreed to reduce our 870 which obviously affected desired lap times.
The ACO and IMSA definitely want convergence to work and I think they will work together to make that happen.
Old 6 Apr 2021, 16:52 (Ref:4044852)   #7941
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Once the convergence is completed, who knows - they might "up the power" slowly through evolutions of the rules.
Old 7 Apr 2021, 09:47 (Ref:4044919)   #7942
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post
Once the convergence is completed, who knows - they might "up the power" slowly through evolutions of the rules.
Of course that will happen. The lap times will decrease anyway. LMP1s were doing sub 3:15 lap times despite the regulations, not because of them.

In the mid-2000s, the top class were doing 3:30s and then with development, the lap times came tumbling down. Obviously LMHs are homologated, but new, quicker cars will join and the BOP will be made faster, as well as advances in set-up and understanding of any track changes.

I'm also finding the criticism of slowing down LMP2 slightly odd, I can remember all the way back to - checks notes - 4 years ago when people complained about the new P2 regs. I, for one, actually agree with everything said in criticism of the time and I would be perfectly happy for that category to die. I hate spec racing. I just find it odd that so many are now defending it !
Old 7 Apr 2021, 10:14 (Ref:4044929)   #7943
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think the criticism is more that slowing them down is actually necessary due to completely foreseeable changes to the top class, and those changes have been clumsily executed.
Not sure anyone is actually defending LMPOreca in its current form.
Old 7 Apr 2021, 11:11 (Ref:4044942)   #7944
peetleouf
Rookie

France
Drôme
Quote:
Ummm, that's not correct at all. Every single thing you said was incorrect there
As Napolis says, in the beginning, the power of the engines was much more important.
I therefore deduce that the problem would not have arisen without the convergence.

https://www.endurance-info.com/fr/to...ires-lmh-lmdh/
Old 8 Apr 2021, 04:25 (Ref:4045042)   #7945
DistortedSmile
Racer

Spain
DistortedSmile should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDistortedSmile should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDistortedSmile should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
As Napolis says, in the beginning, the power of the engines was much more important.
I therefore deduce that the problem would not have arisen without the convergence.

Convergence is the main reason there's so much manufacturer interest in the first place, the poor execution and BoP mess is another problem.
Old 8 Apr 2021, 08:03 (Ref:4045058)   #7946
peetleouf
Rookie

France
Drôme
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistortedSmile View Post
Convergence is the main reason there's so much manufacturer interest in the first place, the poor execution and BoP mess is another problem.

I agree with you and I do not complain about the convergence.
But it seems unfair to me to say that it has no impact on the current BOP problems.
Old 9 Apr 2021, 05:15 (Ref:4045254)   #7947
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
I think if imsa put its foot down and said hybrids need to make more power, the 800+hp would have stayed. Im hopeful in a years time they at least consider dropping minimum weight to 950kg or thereabouts.
Old 9 Apr 2021, 18:03 (Ref:4045333)   #7948
Mike E
Veteran

It's an impressive driver line up developing this hydrogen car - Vandoorne, Nato and Richelmi.
And they are getting even further ahead of the game than all the GT drivers jumping into LMP2.

http://www.dailysportscar.com/2021/0...r-for-h24.html
Old 16 Apr 2021, 07:08 (Ref:4046177)   #7949
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Quote:

That is correct to a point - but the main reason things were to be slowed was if I recall correctly when Aston Martin wanted to join with a road car based project they insisted that the minimum weight was increased. This was before convegence was a thing as the ACO at that point wanted to go it alone.
Old 16 Apr 2021, 11:00 (Ref:4046208)   #7950
Mike E
Veteran

If only someone had written this all down while it was happening...