Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 4 Mar 2021, 00:42 (Ref:4038483)   #151
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
Thankfully everyone has realized what Porsche and Audi told them, electric cars should LOOK LIKE FING CARS damnit, not future-looking kid stuff, like a damn car
For me the biggest thing is where they have electrified a petrol car, and just blanked the grill.

The Volvo above being an example of this

The new generation of ground up electrics will hopefully be able to do something better with the front end.

Audi with the E-tron GT, and to a lesser extent Hyundai with the Ioniq, they have at least realised that it doesn't need a big blanked off grill, and have tried to do something with the front
Old 4 Mar 2021, 11:38 (Ref:4038574)   #152
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Thankfully everyone has realized what Porsche and Audi told them, electric cars should LOOK LIKE FING CARS damnit, not future-looking kid stuff, like a damn car
And what does a 'car' look like?

There are many factors that go into how a 'car' looks - including technology, safety, aesthetics and practicality.

If an EV has fundamentally different requirements in terms of technology (different requirements for energy storage, transmission, PU etc.) - then why should it look like an ICE car?
Old 4 Mar 2021, 23:08 (Ref:4038806)   #153
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
There are two kinds of car designs: those I like, and those I don't like.

I like the BMW i8 and hate the new 4 Series.
Old 5 Mar 2021, 14:53 (Ref:4038970)   #154
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I think there's always the beautiful cars and then there are ugly ones or if not ugly at least weird or quirky looking.

That said there are some cars that look ok, but aren't as good as a previous model, like the new 4 series
Old 6 Mar 2021, 03:15 (Ref:4039128)   #155
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
And what does a 'car' look like?

There are many factors that go into how a 'car' looks - including technology, safety, aesthetics and practicality.

If an EV has fundamentally different requirements in terms of technology (different requirements for energy storage, transmission, PU etc.) - then why should it look like an ICE car?
Well I'll play the game, of your list older and not pertinent to current build would be a start. Alfa was designed to be that over the top and it's reason for existence. The complaints, and yes i know multiple people NOT buying electrics who buy in cash, are because electrics were designed to be in your face we're futuristic, see the abomination that is the Tesla truck as the poster child. What purposes for electric needs were there? Similar to the second gen Pruis, designed for look first and completely useless as a family car as it was marketed. The first gen was just a Toyota Echo 4 door with the hybrid internals, marketing made the change so it was different and less useful. The Tesla truck is the same marketing bunk and the few who have been able to test have said it's a piece of garbage, ZERO use, impossible access to the trunk (it's not a bed in any way) and completely junk brake controller so the towing capacity is BS and will be denied by the US DOT faster than Musk can tweet at Porsche.

Porsche, the guys selling more percentage wise of their Taycans than Tesla has ever dreamed he could. Oh, and they actually work all the time and come with the same 4 colors on 4 doors. I know of 5 Tesla 3s with different colored door panels, not a good look for the we're changing car building.
Old 6 Mar 2021, 03:17 (Ref:4039129)   #156
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
There are two kinds of car designs: those I like, and those I don't like.

I like the BMW i8 and hate the new 4 Series.
Any one with eyes thinks the new 4 series is garbage. My mom dropped her pursuit of an M4 convertible for a Miata when they announced the design and likely no manual. Her entire reason for the M4 was convertible, manual and 4 seats, brother moved out so 2 seats is viable now and Miata will always offer a stick.
Old 6 Mar 2021, 08:55 (Ref:4039144)   #157
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
The new 4 series needs to be better than it looks. It's turning off a lot of people and there are better options out there. Shame really, could have been a great step forward for the brand. But hey, that's how they chose to do it
Old 6 Mar 2021, 10:44 (Ref:4039163)   #158
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Any one with eyes thinks the new 4 series is garbage. My mom dropped her pursuit of an M4 convertible for a Miata when they announced the design and likely no manual. Her entire reason for the M4 was convertible, manual and 4 seats, brother moved out so 2 seats is viable now and Miata will always offer a stick.
Yay for the good old Mazda! I got the roof down on mine last weekend and went for a short drive into the countryside.

When I got back I'd done 80 miles! Probably not justifiable under current conditions but dammit if it wasn't nice to just get out for a bit.
Old 6 Mar 2021, 11:44 (Ref:4039178)   #159
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Volkswagen to launch at least one new EV per year

The firm has committed to launching at least one EV per year to meet its renewed electric sales targets. The firm will launch three EVs this year: the four-wheel-drive hot ID 4 GTX will be followed by the coupé-styled ID 5 SUV, with the China-only ID 6 large SUV revealed next the end of the year. The production version of the ID Buzz will arrive in 2022, followed by the 'Aero B' estate - previously by the ID Vizzion concept.
Old 15 Mar 2021, 14:12 (Ref:4040565)   #160
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Kia EV6

58-72 kWh battery

I'm pleasantly surprised.
Old 17 Mar 2021, 13:20 (Ref:4041005)   #161
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
BMW i4

525 hp engine, 80 kWh battery

That bloody grille...
Old 17 Mar 2021, 13:30 (Ref:4041009)   #162
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Why can't they put normal wheels on?

Still don't like the new BMW front.
Old 17 Mar 2021, 14:38 (Ref:4041035)   #163
S griffin
Veteran

They care more about getting the aero right, so that’s probably why they’ve gone with those funny wheels

Although it’s got a weird front end, it’ll be probably be an effective and practical car
Old 17 Mar 2021, 22:36 (Ref:4041120)   #164
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
Why can't they put normal wheels on?

Still don't like the new BMW front.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
BMW i4

That bloody grille...
EXACTLY to both, no one, NO ONE could have told them that grill looked good and not been out to screw BMW. All the BMW owners I know have said they're done, no more new ones.

Those wheels, almost as bad as the grill, almost.
Old 18 Mar 2021, 10:59 (Ref:4041165)   #165
S griffin
Veteran

It is quite weird. Going to bring people's attentions for the wrong reasons. Sometimes looks are as important as the actual car. The wheels I don't have a problem with, after all they are not going to look like that when they are going around
Old 24 Mar 2021, 11:41 (Ref:4042650)   #166
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
CEO Adrian Hallmark has provided clarity on Bentley's approach.

'We won’t do a 12-cylinder plug-in hybrid'

'Bentley is going all-electric by 2030, and says that by 2026 it will only sell EVs and plug-in hybrids. But what does that mean for the company’s legendary twin-turbocharged W12 engine, as fitted to the new Continental GT Speed?

“We’re not going to create a plug-in hybrid with a 12-cylinder,” says CEO Adrian Hallmark. “The reason for that is mass. To package a battery and the 12-cylinder into the current car would be a massive challenge… if you put another 250kg of battery into the heaviest car we currently do, it just pushes it into a different dimension.”

Makes sense. Future plug-in Bentleys may therefore use the 3.0-litre V6 as-fitted to the current Bentayga Hybrid, and/or the 4.0-litre V8 from the Porsche Panamera & Cayenne Turbo S e-Hybrid. The company’s ‘Beyond100’ plan promises that by 2023 every Bentley will be available with a plug-in hybrid powertrain – at least one of those will be launched this year.'
Old 29 Mar 2021, 08:05 (Ref:4043664)   #167
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
https://activenews.co.uk/british-fir...tor-conundrum/
BRITISH FIRM CRACKS ELECTRIC CAR MOTOR CONUNDRUM
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 5 Apr 2021, 16:23 (Ref:4044717)   #168
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
The Mercedes EQS will do 477 miles on one charge

The headline facts here are a claimed range of up to 477 miles on a single charge, power outputs of 329 or 516bhp, and a new modular battery concept with a useable battery capacity of 90 or 107.8 kWh. It’s also the most aerodynamic production car ever made, with a drag co-efficient of just 0.20. That’s a level of slipperiness once thought impossible on a road car, but critical to the energy efficiency of a new-age EV. (It’s achieved on a car wearing 19in wheels in Sport driving mode.)

Old 6 Apr 2021, 13:51 (Ref:4044826)   #169
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
2023 Hummer EV is 819bhp 4x4 with "maximum off-road ability"

Joining a closely related Hummer pick-up truck, the SUV sits atop GM's advanced Ultium electric car platform and promises a choice of "maximum driving efficiency or maximum off-road ability".

The car's blocky two-box silhouette, rugged styling and slatted front grille are reminiscent of the Hummer H2 and H3 but, with the large combustion engines making way for a much more powerful tri-motor set-up, the EV will offer significantly improved performance both on and off-road.

GM estimates a maximum output of 819bhp, which is 167bhp less than the top-rung version of the pick-up but nonetheless enough to take the SUV from 0-60mph in 3.5sec.
Old 6 Apr 2021, 22:33 (Ref:4044885)   #170
Alfaholic
Veteran

England
Felixstowe
Alfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAlfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
<Pics removed for space>

Joining a closely related Hummer pick-up truck, the SUV sits atop GM's advanced Ultium electric car platform and promises a choice of "maximum driving efficiency or maximum off-road ability".

The car's blocky two-box silhouette, rugged styling and slatted front grille are reminiscent of the Hummer H2 and H3 but, with the large combustion engines making way for a much more powerful tri-motor set-up, the EV will offer significantly improved performance both on and off-road.

GM estimates a maximum output of 819bhp, which is 167bhp less than the top-rung version of the pick-up but nonetheless enough to take the SUV from 0-60mph in 3.5sec.
Dread to think how much that weighs!
Old 7 Apr 2021, 10:21 (Ref:4044933)   #171
S griffin
Veteran

I think it would probably break the weigh scales
Old 7 Apr 2021, 10:57 (Ref:4044937)   #172
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:

That is quite possibly the ugliest vehicle ever created. Seriously - what were they thinking? I mean, the Hummer has always been ugly but that is a whole new world of awful.

Also - surely having such a ridiculously huge vehicle is kind of defeating the whole point of EV's? Reduce emissions by getting rid of the ICE but use half a planet to actual build the thing.
Old 7 Apr 2021, 11:00 (Ref:4044938)   #173
S griffin
Veteran

Yeah, it ain’t gonna win any beauty contests, even against other Hummers!
Old 8 Apr 2021, 14:55 (Ref:4045124)   #174
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
The headline facts here are a claimed range of up to 477 miles on a single charge...
the improving range/battery life are improving at such a rate that i feel like i am less certain my next car will be electric.

mind you for me, the current approx 250miles that most EVs currently offer is more then enough for my needs but knowing there will soon be something that easily offers twice that range means that has become my new measuring point.
Old 8 Apr 2021, 15:17 (Ref:4045127)   #175
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
mind you for me, the current approx 250miles that most EVs currently offer is more then enough for my needs but knowing there will soon be something that easily offers twice that range means that has become my new measuring point.
For me - the biggest consideration (and hence potential to opt for an EV) is the speed with which the range can be replenished.

So for instance - a range of 200km is no issue, if I can replenish at least 75% of that in less than 5 minutes. I can then consider a cross-continent drive comfortably.
Whereas a range of 400km is less appealing, if it takes 1-2 hrs to replenish with 100km+ of range.

I appreciate it is not every day that I am driving over 100km, but I want the ability to do so if my circumstance requires.