Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 23 Apr 2021, 12:10 (Ref:4047510)   #3176
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Does anyone know whether there was any filming of the action yesterday at Donington and if it's still available online? I did search yesterday, but couldn't find anything.
I'm guessing you mean Silverstone?

There might be something on the Youtube channel? http://www.youtube.com/user/btccdotnet
Old 23 Apr 2021, 12:19 (Ref:4047511)   #3177
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestHam92 View Post
A three way title fight between Turkington, Sutton and Shedden would be delicious
Oh yes, would be! And I think it's very well possible that it'll be this way. Butcher may be there or thereabouts but honestly I doubt anyone will be able to really contest for the title with the trio over the whole season.
Old 23 Apr 2021, 13:13 (Ref:4047516)   #3178
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
On another query - does this confirm TD as challenging for the independents' title in 2021?
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetool View Post
Not at all. They had been made ineligible several seasons before Honda came onboard.
To bring back up a question that I may have missed being answered previously (and if so, apologies) - what has changed that now means TD are eligible for Independents' if they were made ineligible previously?
Old 23 Apr 2021, 14:14 (Ref:4047531)   #3179
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why would they be ineligible? They're not backed by a manufacturer so I thought it automatically means a team is 'independent' and classified as one?

Btw when most of the grid is independent, like it's been for many years now, I think running an independent classification is pointless. It only makes for countless tables and championships which mean nothing really. JST in a current form is also a bit useless. I'd say what would be best is just Drivers Championship, Teams Championship and Manufacturers Championship but for all cars driving for a manufacturer. So if there are 6 Hondas for instance, all can score points for Honda if Honda is a 'manufacturer' in the BTCC. Top two scorers for a brand would count for instance. And Jack Sears Trophy should be again a contest between rookies (or 'almost' rookies - guys who so far completed only few races).
Old 23 Apr 2021, 15:58 (Ref:4047554)   #3180
WestHam92
Rookie

European Union
WestHam92 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt K View Post
Why would they be ineligible? They're not backed by a manufacturer so I thought it automatically means a team is 'independent' and classified as one?

Btw when most of the grid is independent, like it's been for many years now, I think running an independent classification is pointless. It only makes for countless tables and championships which mean nothing really. JST in a current form is also a bit useless. I'd say what would be best is just Drivers Championship, Teams Championship and Manufacturers Championship but for all cars driving for a manufacturer. So if there are 6 Hondas for instance, all can score points for Honda if Honda is a 'manufacturer' in the BTCC. Top two scorers for a brand would count for instance. And Jack Sears Trophy should be again a contest between rookies (or 'almost' rookies - guys who so far completed only few races).
Do many people watching the BTCC really care about the Teams Championship? The points never seem to tally with the Driver's Championship anyway. Turkington and Oliphant scored a combined 564 points last season but BMW only had 550. Anyone know why that is and how the Teams standings are calculated?
Old 23 Apr 2021, 16:35 (Ref:4047556)   #3181
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Do many people watching the BTCC really care about the Teams Championship? The points never seem to tally with the Driver's Championship anyway. Turkington and Oliphant scored a combined 564 points last season but BMW only had 550. Anyone know why that is and how the Teams standings are calculated?
The full details are in the championships regulations, but some of the difference comes from the fact that the following points from the overall drivers' championship are not included in the teams' championship:

Qualifying on pole - 1pt.
Leading a lap - 1pt.
Fastest lap - 1pt.

So in the case of Turkington and Oliphant in 2020, they would have accrued an additional 14 points between them for pole positions, leading laps and fastest laps.

For example - at Croft:
Going into the event, Colin Turkington was on 233 points, Oliphant was on 183 points and the team was on 408.
ST - 233, TO - 183, WSR - 408.

In race one, Turkington took 15 points, Oliphant 5, adding 20 pts to the team total.
CT - 248, TO - 188, WSR - 428.

In race two, Turkington scored 0, Oliphant scored 9, adding 9 pts to the team total.
CT - 248, TO - 197, WSR - 437.

In race three, Turkington scored 1 point for fastest lap (lap 7), Oliphant scored 10 points, so only 10 points were added to the team total.
CT - 249, TO - 207, WSR - 447.
Old 23 Apr 2021, 17:22 (Ref:4047571)   #3182
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I'm guessing you mean Silverstone?

There might be something on the Youtube channel? http://www.youtube.com/user/btccdotnet

Yup, brain fade!

And thanks for the link, but nothing on there. Considering that it was a media day, I would have thought that they would have wanted to at least introduce the cars and drivers, if not the testing that went on. As they have done in previous years.
Old 23 Apr 2021, 17:30 (Ref:4047574)   #3183
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
And thanks for the link, but nothing on there. Considering that it was a media day, I would have thought that they would have wanted to at least introduce the cars and drivers, if not the testing that went on. As they have done in previous years.
I saw a few videos on their twitter and facebook feeds last night - they might still be visible?

http://twitter.com/BTCC
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...65670750141050
Old 23 Apr 2021, 17:54 (Ref:4047581)   #3184
Robshillito1990
Racer

Robshillito1990 is a back marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt K View Post

Well motorbase aren't backed by any manufacturer yet are listed as a manufacturer
Old 23 Apr 2021, 19:12 (Ref:4047592)   #3185
Northern Monkey
Racer

Northern Monkey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robshillito1990 View Post
Well motorbase aren't backed by any manufacturer yet are listed as a manufacturer

They are a 'constructor' entry
Old 25 Apr 2021, 08:13 (Ref:4047746)   #3186
AnnoyedMoose
Racer

AnnoyedMoose should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAnnoyedMoose should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Monkey View Post
They are a 'constructor' entry
What makes Motorbase any different from the other teams that build their own cars such as Dynamics, HARD, PMR etc?
Old 25 Apr 2021, 08:30 (Ref:4047748)   #3187
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnoyedMoose View Post
What makes Motorbase any different from the other teams that build their own cars such as Dynamics, HARD, PMR etc?
It's entirely up to the team if they want to pay the registration fee to enter that championship. They've obviously seen an opportunity to get publicity with there being only 5 manufacturer cars besides them.
Old 25 Apr 2021, 10:14 (Ref:4047761)   #3188
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Personally speaking, no.

I long ago gave up taking any notice. It's too convoluted, and I doubt very much the typical man at race track, never mind man watching telly could explain it.

Formula 1 is easy to understand; NASCAR is easy to understand. BTCC is er what, never mind, I see Turks/ Sutton/ whoever is top dog.
Old 25 Apr 2021, 10:14 (Ref:4047762)   #3189
BLiTZ
Racer

United Kingdom
BLiTZ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craner Curves View Post
It's entirely up to the team if they want to pay the registration fee to enter that championship. They've obviously seen an opportunity to get publicity with there being only 5 manufacturer cars besides them.
Perhaps another push to attract Ford or another manufacturer? Part of the wider marketing strategy for the team?
Old 25 Apr 2021, 11:26 (Ref:4047769)   #3190
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craner Curves View Post
I wonder if TOCA did a bit of arm-twisting and convinced them to enter. Having a title with only 3 entries isn't that great but it's a little bit more credible than having only 2 entries.
Old 25 Apr 2021, 13:00 (Ref:4047784)   #3191
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Which ones are the Manufacturer entry, MB (Hill Jackson) or Motorbase (Osbourne Neate)? Presumably the other two will run as independents ?
Old 25 Apr 2021, 13:17 (Ref:4047785)   #3192
AnnoyedMoose
Racer

AnnoyedMoose should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAnnoyedMoose should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
Which ones are the Manufacturer entry, MB (Hill Jackson) or Motorbase (Osbourne Neate)? Presumably the other two will run as independents ?
All four of them are listed as constructor entries.
Old 25 Apr 2021, 14:07 (Ref:4047790)   #3193
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
BMW and Toyota are definitely manufacturer backed, Ford probably provide some technical support to MB and Motorsport, if not financial. Sad for Honda they lost it though. A few could do with more backing at this time
Old 25 Apr 2021, 14:51 (Ref:4047791)   #3194
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnoyedMoose View Post
All four of them are listed as constructor entries.
Wierd I thought only 2 score points
Old 25 Apr 2021, 15:20 (Ref:4047794)   #3195
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
Wierd I thought only 2 score points
Team has to nominate which 2 cars score points. No different to WSR having 3 manufacturer entries.
Old 25 Apr 2021, 18:25 (Ref:4047819)   #3196
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
So when we look at the Texaco Sierra - you have a car that was competing around the world in the same livery, and so exposure leads to familiarity, which leads to iconic.
In Brazil the Texaco livery is still alive:

Old 26 Apr 2021, 08:48 (Ref:4047866)   #3197
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
And let's not forget JPM ran it for a bit in NASCAR
Old 26 Apr 2021, 15:09 (Ref:4047926)   #3198
thetool
Veteran

thetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anyone seen the ridiculous name of one the support series this year? Look forward to hearing a lot about the snappily-titled: "Porsche Visit Cayman Islands Sprint Challenge Great Britain" series.
Old 26 Apr 2021, 15:28 (Ref:4047928)   #3199
Matt K
Veteran

Wow this beats even a team accelerated by their sponsor!
Old 26 Apr 2021, 15:34 (Ref:4047929)   #3200
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Reminds me of my time at Game 20 years ago where if you answered the phone you had to say "welcome to Game, where you can buy the new Xbox for 299 with a game of your choice, how can I help you".