Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 7 Jun 2021, 16:46 (Ref:4055185)   #201
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
This is 'Pirelli-ously' close to disaster....
Old 7 Jun 2021, 16:51 (Ref:4055188)   #202
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
given the cost of repairs, RB may have a problem with inflation.
Old 7 Jun 2021, 17:00 (Ref:4055189)   #203
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Listening to him over the radio, it sounded like Stroll had the wind knocked out of him.
Old 7 Jun 2021, 17:10 (Ref:4055190)   #204
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I think Stroll was just feeling anxious being sideways across a long straight, especially with a blind kink a bit further back
Old 7 Jun 2021, 17:20 (Ref:4055193)   #205
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
I think Stroll was just feeling anxious being sideways across a long straight, especially with a blind kink a bit further back

Did you see how hard the car hit the wall?
Old 7 Jun 2021, 17:57 (Ref:4055197)   #206
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Yes I saw that, but I think his ‘get me out of here’ was more fear of being t boned at high speed
Old 7 Jun 2021, 18:11 (Ref:4055201)   #207
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Yes I saw that, but I think his ‘get me out of here’ was more fear of being t boned at high speed

The yellow was out within seconds of the crash and the other drivers were giving Stroll's car a wide berth.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/a...F6MOsJMy0.html
Old 7 Jun 2021, 18:14 (Ref:4055202)   #208
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tux View Post
Its ridiculous how well both the Aston Martin & Red Bulls stood up to the impacts. Very impressive
Looking at this image of Verstappens car you'd struggle to tell that it had hit the wall at 190 mph. New front wing and he might even have been able to restart the race.

https://www.racefans.net/2021/06/06/...zerbaijan-551/
Old 7 Jun 2021, 18:29 (Ref:4055204)   #209
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
My take on it was that after his practice shunt and then in the race, he didn't want to spend another second in the car at that circuit....
Old 7 Jun 2021, 19:13 (Ref:4055211)   #210
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
My take on it was that after his practice shunt and then in the race, he didn't want to spend another second in the car at that circuit....
I took him as being more concerned about his safety, rather than just fed up with the circuit.
IIRC, he was calling for an instantaneous red flag?

'Woah x6 - Red Flag x2' 'Copy that' ' Get me out of this place on the track'
Old 7 Jun 2021, 19:13 (Ref:4055212)   #211
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
The yellow was out within seconds of the crash and the other drivers were giving Stroll's car a wide berth.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/a...F6MOsJMy0.html
im not sure what should have been done here or could have been done differently (so im not trying to assign blame to anyone)...

but it seems to me that an accident in this spot, where cars are travelling behind at 300+kph, that a yellow flag, even those waved instantly or automatically, can do little to slow the traffic.

on a street circuit when an accident happens right at the beginning of a long straight, does double waved yellows, SC, VSC, or even a red flag do much to mitigate the immediate danger to the helpless driver?

video of cars passing Max's shunt looks even more alarming.

https://streamable.com/zdvk2h
Old 7 Jun 2021, 19:20 (Ref:4055215)   #212
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
That makes sense. I don’t know where Latifi was, but I’ll guess he was also behind Russell.
Confirmation of the full penalties:

'“While all other cars followed the [Safety Car] into the pit lane, [Latifi] ignored the instruction, stayed on the straight and passed the scene of the recovery.

“During this process he overtook two other cars that drove properly through the pit lane. The stewards also found that all teams were informed in good time by radio and that his team asked [Latifi] to box.

“This is a clear breach of Article 39.11 that requires a mandatory drive-through penalty. In addition the overtaking of other cars (Article 39.8) and the dangerous passing of the scene on the track (Article 39.5) justify a 10-second-sanction in total and three penalty points.”'
Old 7 Jun 2021, 19:22 (Ref:4055216)   #213
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
There was much discussion between Croft, Herbert and Davidson about this at the time and Davidson singled out the most important line in the sporting regs pertaining to a double yellow flag:

Be prepared to stop.

Gasly I think we can forgive as he arrived when the incident was still happening.

Slightly later, Wheatley (McLaren) was on the horn to Masi (FIA RD) stating that Tsunoda didn't slow; Masi's reply was one for the ages - paraphrased "nobody did, every driver breached the rule".

The driver's briefing at Paul Ricard should be televised.
Old 7 Jun 2021, 19:30 (Ref:4055218)   #214
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
Slightly later, Wheatley (McLaren) was on the horn to Masi (FIA RD) stating that Tsunoda didn't slow; Masi's reply was one for the ages - paraphrased "nobody did, every driver breached the rule".
I thought that was quite funny at the time. I was half expecting Masi to come out with something like 'yes, you're right, there were drivers who didn't slow under yellow flags. The whole field has a 30-second penalty.'
Old 7 Jun 2021, 19:30 (Ref:4055219)   #215
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
There was much discussion between Croft, Herbert and Davidson about this at the time and Davidson singled out the most important line in the sporting regs pertaining to a double yellow flag:

Be prepared to stop.

Gasly I think we can forgive as he arrived when the incident was still happening.

The driver's briefing at Paul Ricard should be televised.
Jonathan Weatley is Red Bulls sporting director, he did speak to Masi, but that was regarding the tires

I don't think anyone at McLaren is named Weatley

Last edited by steve nielsen; 7 Jun 2021 at 19:36.
Old 7 Jun 2021, 19:31 (Ref:4055220)   #216
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve nielsen View Post
Jonathan Weatley is Red Bulls sporting director
Ah yes. It's been a long day.
Old 7 Jun 2021, 20:34 (Ref:4055222)   #217
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Is it my imagination or do cars regularly quad stint their tyres at LeMans it being a fast track. Yes there may be punctures but seldom the unwarned deflations that we saw at Baku. Should F1 not be using similar tyres as debris must be an issue at LeMans with cars circulating for 24 hours after regular trips through the gravel etc.
Old 7 Jun 2021, 21:17 (Ref:4055227)   #218
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post
Is it my imagination or do cars regularly quad stint their tyres at LeMans it being a fast track. Yes there may be punctures but seldom the unwarned deflations that we saw at Baku. Should F1 not be using similar tyres as debris must be an issue at LeMans with cars circulating for 24 hours after regular trips through the gravel etc.
That's not your imagination.

Difference is, that are Michelin tires (or Goodyear/Dunlop for LMP2) and they are designed to last, and not to provide entertainment by wearing out fast.
Old 7 Jun 2021, 21:52 (Ref:4055229)   #219
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by gert View Post

Difference is, that are Michelin tires (or Goodyear/Dunlop for LMP2) and they are designed to last, and not to provide entertainment by wearing out fast.
And in fairness to Pirelli, if they were required to supply a tyre that lasted 100 laps for F1, they could.
Old 7 Jun 2021, 21:57 (Ref:4055230)   #220
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Still Pirelli made mistakes, they said those hard tyres would last 40-45 laps and the increase in tyre pressure could also have something to do with those 2 failures (from 19 to 20 Psi for the rears)
Old 7 Jun 2021, 22:25 (Ref:4055232)   #221
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I often wonder is there a structural issue with the tyres used in F1.

Surely it is part of the design of the tyre that it should be able to deal with bits of carbon fibre metal etc that litter the race tracks of the world. I would not expect tyres to survive being driven into walls or barriers bit normal stuff you get on the track that a driver may not see.
Old 7 Jun 2021, 22:48 (Ref:4055234)   #222
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The stewards also found that all teams were informed in good time by radio and that his team asked [Latifi] to box.

Can I point out that this was 100% not the case. Latifis race engineer absolutely got the call wrong. He said "stay out stay out stay out stay out stay out" as Latifi drove by the pit lane entry. Latifi was visibly coming towards the entry, and then obeyed the instructions to stay out. Once he had passed pit lane entry the engineer said "stay out of the pit box, continue through pit lane" (paraphrasing).

The call was 100% on the team. If you say "stay out", there's no chance of a driver working out "oh he means come into the pit lane and stay out of the pit box".
Old 8 Jun 2021, 00:37 (Ref:4055240)   #223
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
The stewards also found that all teams were informed in good time by radio and that his team asked [Latifi] to box.

Can I point out that this was 100% not the case. Latifis race engineer absolutely got the call wrong. He said "stay out stay out stay out stay out stay out" as Latifi drove by the pit lane entry. Latifi was visibly coming towards the entry, and then obeyed the instructions to stay out. Once he had passed pit lane entry the engineer said "stay out of the pit box, continue through pit lane" (paraphrasing).

The call was 100% on the team. If you say "stay out", there's no chance of a driver working out "oh he means come into the pit lane and stay out of the pit box".

Agree this 100% . If I recollect correctly his race engineer even apologised for the confusing call.....
Old 8 Jun 2021, 00:37 (Ref:4055241)   #224
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gert View Post

And there have been the years relatively recently that have seen their fair share of punctures at Le Mans. Sometimes cited as being caused by the gravel.
Old 8 Jun 2021, 07:18 (Ref:4055252)   #225
P38 in workshop
Veteran

P38 in workshop has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
The Le Mans comparisons don't really apply.For one thing there are several sources of tyres and an incentive to produce tyres that both perform and retain that performance for multiple stints.The F1 supply is monopolistic and there isn't any great need to beat non-existent rival companies while still having to conform to the requirement to enforce pitstops to change to a different compound for the benefit of the show.I really wish a durable option that made it possible to forgo pitstops existed and then another aspect of competition would open up.As things stand Pirelli are simply producing what the producers of the the show stipulate.I can't help thinking of televised wrestling having a similar focus on the show.