Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 8 Jun 2021, 07:35 (Ref:4055253)   #226
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
The problem is Pirelli are locked in as the only supplier, so they don't have to worry about another tyre supplier coming in if they thought they could do a better job and so don't necessarily have to make the best tyres they can
Old 8 Jun 2021, 07:45 (Ref:4055256)   #227
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapezeArtist View Post
It's a shame the Verstappens (Snr and Jnr) were not as balanced in their comments. Preliminary evidence suggests debris damage, so cheap jibes are really unhelpful in advance of a full investigation.

If it turns out that debris was the cause (or likely cause) there will be two new questions to be addressed:
1. How to keep the track free of debris
2. How to make the tyres more debris-resistant
Verstappen Snr has always been a loose cannon as evidenced by his past behaviour. As for the track clean up problem, get rid of carbon fibre and the problem goes away. It is simply horrible stuff when it gets smashed and has caused lots of incidents after crashes.
Old 8 Jun 2021, 08:46 (Ref:4055261)   #228
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
As for the track clean up problem, get rid of carbon fibre and the problem goes away. It is simply horrible stuff when it gets smashed and has caused lots of incidents after crashes.

The only thing is carbon fibre is a very good material from a car structure point of view. It is light very strong and is able to be made into complex shapes, it also performs very well in impacts as evidenced last Sunday or Bahrain last year.
Old 8 Jun 2021, 23:20 (Ref:4055362)   #229
RWill2073
Veteran

RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
I took him as being more concerned about his safety, rather than just fed up with the circuit.
IIRC, he was calling for an instantaneous red flag?

'Woah x6 - Red Flag x2' 'Copy that' ' Get me out of this place on the track'
I must have read way more into this exchange than anyone else. It was like an illustration of why stroll is just a rich kid driving and not a serious racer. Where verstappen or most any other driver would be ****ed and upset at a race ruined, stroll's first thought was "get me out of the car/track". It is perfectly understandable, and I'm not faulting him for it, but it felt like someone who isnt fully committed or chasing a burning desire type of thing. Then that got me wondering, how many years will he be interested in racing in f1? At that moment, I thought maybe only another year or two. Then I wondered if he would move into a team principal type role, or if daddy stroll would keep the team after his kid is done, or what. Lots of wandering thoughts during the caution period, haha. Also, probably me just reading way more into it than what was warranted.
Old 8 Jun 2021, 23:55 (Ref:4055364)   #230
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWill2073 View Post
I must have read way more into this exchange than anyone else. It was like an illustration of why stroll is just a rich kid driving and not a serious racer. Where verstappen or most any other driver would be ****ed and upset at a race ruined, stroll's first thought was "get me out of the car/track". It is perfectly understandable, and I'm not faulting him for it, but it felt like someone who isnt fully committed or chasing a burning desire type of thing. Then that got me wondering, how many years will he be interested in racing in f1? At that moment, I thought maybe only another year or two. Then I wondered if he would move into a team principal type role, or if daddy stroll would keep the team after his kid is done, or what. Lots of wandering thoughts during the caution period, haha. Also, probably me just reading way more into it than what was warranted.
what on earth
Old 9 Jun 2021, 00:55 (Ref:4055369)   #231
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Yeah, sorry but think you're reading way more into it. I can think of many a driver who has switched very quickly to survival mode as a shunt has happened - understandably as you say. If I was strapped into a canoe with other cars bearing down on my at circa 200mph it'd concentrate my mind on that as well I reckon.

Not a great fan of Stroll junior - don't really rate him at all driver wise but I'm also conscious that I might be being a bit unfair and ultimately, he is at least capable of piloting an F1 car midfield or higher.
Old 9 Jun 2021, 06:25 (Ref:4055379)   #232
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
No.
Old 9 Jun 2021, 08:29 (Ref:4055389)   #233
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Yes, I think you have......
Old 9 Jun 2021, 09:25 (Ref:4055397)   #234
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Yes I think someone has read too much into it. Not everything Lance says or does needs to be put under scrutiny
Old 10 Jun 2021, 06:30 (Ref:4055487)   #235
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Yes I think someone has read too much into it. Not everything Lance says or does needs to be put under scrutiny
One could argue he says very little at all!
Old 10 Jun 2021, 07:11 (Ref:4055492)   #236
BTCC frog
Veteran

BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!
Quote:
As Martin Brundle said, Stroll was fighting really hard to stay to the side of the track when he had his accident. Had he spun into the middle of the road and been hit by another car, it would have been dangerously similar to Anthoine Hubert's accident. For this reason, Lance Stroll would have felt both terrified and relieved when his car came to rest, and it is not surprising that his first thought was just 'get out of the car.' I think this is always the first thought of drivers when they have dangerous crashes. The one that springs to mind is Nico Hulkenberg in Abu Dhabi 2018: 'I'm hanging here like a cow! Get me out! There's fire!'
Old 10 Jun 2021, 08:52 (Ref:4055500)   #237
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTCC frog View Post
As Martin Brundle said, Stroll was fighting really hard to stay to the side of the track when he had his accident. Had he spun into the middle of the road and been hit by another car, it would have been dangerously similar to Anthoine Hubert's accident. For this reason, Lance Stroll would have felt both terrified and relieved when his car came to rest, and it is not surprising that his first thought was just 'get out of the car.' I think this is always the first thought of drivers when they have dangerous crashes. The one that springs to mind is Nico Hulkenberg in Abu Dhabi 2018: 'I'm hanging here like a cow! Get me out! There's fire!'
I must admit that from the in-car footage I was impressed that during the whole crash sequence Stroll appeared to by trying to control the car (or what was left of it) as much as possible!
Old 10 Jun 2021, 09:48 (Ref:4055504)   #238
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
I must admit that from the in-car footage I was impressed that during the whole crash sequence Stroll appeared to by trying to control the car (or what was left of it) as much as possible!
Yes, I was too. He was clearly trying to stop the car moving further out into the track.
Old 10 Jun 2021, 10:17 (Ref:4055512)   #239
S griffin
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post

Good spot there
Old 10 Jun 2021, 16:01 (Ref:4055566)   #240
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
agreed a very well made observation.

imo, if the young man was more interested in staying home and enjoying his family's money he could have easily done so after contracting covid. like many of the athletes who have gotten it, he too experienced a reduction in his conditioning but came back and scored a pole and a podium. that means he put in the work.

im not saying that makes him the best or anything, but i do think it proves his desire to not only be a part of but also to be a respected member of the grid is genuine.

also much love for Canadians!...and also its not Latifi's fault so penalties should be applied to his team instead of points on his licence!
Old 10 Jun 2021, 17:21 (Ref:4055590)   #241
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
and also its not Latifi's fault so penalties should be applied to his team instead of points on his licence!
Every other car went into the pits. Basic rules say you follow the Safety Car wherever it goes if it has its lights on. He should have worked it out!
Old 10 Jun 2021, 17:26 (Ref:4055592)   #242
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
Every other car went into the pits. Basic rules say you follow the Safety Car wherever it goes if it has its lights on. He should have worked it out!

The team told him to stay out, which he thought meant stay out on the track.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfM6yEzEVtU
Old 10 Jun 2021, 19:30 (Ref:4055619)   #243
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Agreed that he should have followed everyone into the pits and rules are rules, but there was confusion that the team exaggerated so I’d be OK if he was treated more leniently on this.

Never made a call in the heat of the moment, perhaps with incorrect information, that turned out to be wrong?
Old 10 Jun 2021, 20:06 (Ref:4055624)   #244
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
"stay out stay out stay out stay out stay out stay out stay out"

He did what he was told. The drivers can't be on top of every rule - this is literally the job of the race engineer to work this out, and the race engineer got it wrong.

He did what he was told to do, by the man whose job it is to work out what he's meant to be doing.
Old 13 Jun 2021, 12:07 (Ref:4056114)   #245
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
FWIW. Puncture an hour into the WEC race on a Michelin shod GT. Only one manufacturer in that class.
Old 13 Jun 2021, 14:33 (Ref:4056171)   #246
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
"stay out stay out stay out stay out stay out stay out stay out"

He did what he was told. The drivers can't be on top of every rule - this is literally the job of the race engineer to work this out, and the race engineer got it wrong.

He did what he was told to do, by the man whose job it is to work out what he's meant to be doing.
I understand but at every drivers briefing the point is made about following the safety car wherever it goes, so while the team confused mightily, he still should have known. Hence the personal penalty for him.
Old 13 Jun 2021, 14:50 (Ref:4056178)   #247
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
At every drivers' briefing? I didn't know that.
Old 13 Jun 2021, 14:58 (Ref:4056183)   #248
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
I understand but at every drivers briefing the point is made about following the safety car wherever it goes, so while the team confused mightily, he still should have known. Hence the personal penalty for him.

Were the cars emerging from pitroad following the SC?
Old 13 Jun 2021, 15:43 (Ref:4056194)   #249
peebee2
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
At every drivers' briefing? I didn't know that.
It’s one of the standard instructions, written or spoken. Always gets a groaning laugh.
Old 13 Jun 2021, 16:06 (Ref:4056198)   #250
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
So exactly as I thought then, pretty much like all the other rules.

Although I didn't know that it always got a groaning laugh, but then I'm not there.