Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 31 Jul 2021, 15:54 (Ref:4064212)   #1376
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley03 View Post
You know, Gerard, I think it's not quite as complicated as we're managing to make it seem (not everyone maybe, but me for sure ), we just need the rules and restrictions on travel between our countries pinned down for the duration of Le Mans week, and to understand the necessary actions and documentation to make the trip. It's the uncertainty, I believe, rather than obstacles.But we remain positive......for now.
To my eyes you represent the fantastic fighting spirit which started moons ago, the British exception. May be the right time to remember Jean Chassagne and André d'Erlanger… only two French among the Bentley boys!
Old 31 Jul 2021, 16:28 (Ref:4064232)   #1377
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Just seen on the other forum that the beausjour campsite is currently the home to a large encampment of caravan's and "travellers" so glad we are not camping there this year.
Old 31 Jul 2021, 16:32 (Ref:4064233)   #1378
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
mmm, might be time to buy a steering lock for the car…
Old 31 Jul 2021, 18:31 (Ref:4064268)   #1379
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
mmm, might be time to buy a steering lock for the car…
Tsssssss Only of you own a brand new Bimmer or Benz, the previous models dont look so much attractive to some eyes. It works with Sprinters and Ivecos too!
Old 31 Jul 2021, 18:57 (Ref:4064279)   #1380
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
For those, if any, wondering what we're talking about atm, "travelers" in french is gens du voyage. I know you'll find other translations but…
Old 31 Jul 2021, 19:58 (Ref:4064289)   #1381
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
In the UK you are no longer allowed to call them anything but "travellers" if you do then you get called a lot worse by the internet police.
Old 31 Jul 2021, 20:27 (Ref:4064297)   #1382
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Tsssssss Only of you own a brand new Bimmer or Benz, the previous models dont look so much attractive to some eyes. It works with Sprinters and Ivecos too!
it depends which type of gens de voyage. we were robbed by some many years ago. they took a crap frying pan, my mum’s old gardening outfit and a screwdriver… around where i live now in england, they steal anything that’s easy and they can load their rubbish into and dump in a layby

i’m sure the matter will be, erm, “taken care of” and they’ll be encouraged to seek alternative parking. i’m sure they’re peaceful, law abiding people but their neighbours are about to get REALLY noisy
Old 1 Aug 2021, 07:43 (Ref:4064386)   #1383
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
but their neighbours are about to get REALLY noisy
Ho YES, really noisy. When we had the Matras and other rotary engine powered cars, even the rabbits in the woods had to be relocated for a while!
Old 1 Aug 2021, 15:44 (Ref:4064612)   #1384
vincegail
Veteran

Netherlands
Antwerp, Belgium
vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
In the UK you are no longer allowed to call them anything but "travellers" if you do then you get called a lot worse by the internet police.
3.14-keys
Old 1 Aug 2021, 18:20 (Ref:4064652)   #1385
Michel Vaillant
Racer

France
Le Mans, Sarthe
Michel Vaillant should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMichel Vaillant should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
For those, if any, wondering what we're talking about atm, "travelers" in french is gens du voyage. I know you'll find other translations but…
They are also named "gipsys". I know some of them, who wear their heart on their sleeves Maybe at Beauséjour they are early for the 24 and, why not, the return of Mercedes
Old 2 Aug 2021, 07:29 (Ref:4064781)   #1386
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Tout a fait d'accord avec vous, Michel Vaillant. I also know some of them, really nice people. As you say, may be they are on site for the fête foraine. What would be Le Mans and the Dunlop curve without la grande roue, I wonder?!

Last edited by Gerard C; 2 Aug 2021 at 07:42.
Old 2 Aug 2021, 07:29 (Ref:4064782)   #1387
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
the two posts from vince and michel contain words that are very much considered slurs or insults in the uk. so if you find yourself over here, don’t use them
Old 2 Aug 2021, 07:42 (Ref:4064785)   #1388
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Just hope the words "guitar" and "caravane" are allowed…
Old 2 Aug 2021, 09:08 (Ref:4064817)   #1389
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
Can you imagine how people who live in Gypsy Hill London feel when they see all the sign posts taken down for being offensive, we live in a mad world for sure.
Old 2 Aug 2021, 09:16 (Ref:4064821)   #1390
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
i mean, the way it works globally is that if a community didn’t give itself that name, it was given by outsiders then it’s not appropriate. that doesn’t seem hugely out of order to me. the place name is a tricky one and i’m pretty sure travelling people who still live in a certain way are happy with being called that same word but generally it’s not a great word to call them.

you’ll have to pry “frogs” out of my cold dead hands though
Old 2 Aug 2021, 11:57 (Ref:4064855)   #1391
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Exactly, it's more offensive if someone more superior gives them that nickname. I'm not one for PC, but there is a limit. It's a tricky one though, depends what the actual meaning of the place is and if was never meant to cause offence. Probably best left up to the authorities
Old 2 Aug 2021, 12:15 (Ref:4064862)   #1392
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Can you imagine how people who live in Gypsy Hill London feel when they see all the sign posts taken down for being offensive, we live in a mad world for sure.

Traveler's Hill?
Old 2 Aug 2021, 15:55 (Ref:4064909)   #1393
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Quote:
you’ll have to pry “frogs” out of my cold dead hands though
Ha bon, ben v'la aut'chose!!!
Old 2 Aug 2021, 16:04 (Ref:4064914)   #1394
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Parce que chez nous tout commence et tout finit en chanson, en voici une de circonstance. Lets dance now! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMR6xIxv7LY
Old 2 Aug 2021, 16:14 (Ref:4064919)   #1395
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Seriously?
Old 2 Aug 2021, 16:32 (Ref:4064927)   #1396
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Clerk View Post
Seriously?
No.
Old 2 Aug 2021, 16:39 (Ref:4064929)   #1397
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Time to move on now I reckon.

Albeit I'm taking it as a decent sign that travel panic has turned into... whatever that was.
Old 2 Aug 2021, 17:23 (Ref:4064938)   #1398
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
Well as there was no news today on changes to travel we have to pass the time some how.
Old 2 Aug 2021, 20:36 (Ref:4064989)   #1399
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
yeah i’m deeply unimpressed with the people on 119 so far, they’ve given me two dodgy bits of intel now

no travel panic as such, we’re all just figuring out how to weave the nonsense into our 24 hours as seamlessly as possible. right up until they move the goalposts again. when we go back to normal it’s all going to seem very dull and uneventful isn’t it
Old 3 Aug 2021, 15:39 (Ref:4065139)   #1400
24hrmans
Rookie

24hrmans should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Health info has been updated: https://www.24h-lemans.com/en/info/h...URS_BILLETS_FR

So with a QR code as European Health Pass you seem to be safe.
Masks are mandatory.