Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 12 Aug 2021, 14:42 (Ref:4066428)   #1
piggdekk
Rookie

piggdekk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Htp for sport prototype

Hello,
My first post in this forum, I hope to learn a lot from you guys!
I've recently seen a cool sport prototype built by an Italian mechanic in 1970 using what was left of a tecno F3. The car is complete and admittedly pretty cool.
It has completed a couple of races in 1971 and then basically abandoned since. Despite all is in decent shape, with its 1000cc MAW screamer.
I'd be tempted to buy it, but what are the chances that I could get it through the HTP process? All documentation I have is a book made by an Italian car historian describing it, and a couple of race results printed on an Magazine.
Do You reckon I stand any chance? The story of the car is pretty cool and it would be a pity not to recover it. Still those things can get very expensive, and if I can't race it pointless.
Thank you
Luca
Old 12 Aug 2021, 19:13 (Ref:4066471)   #2
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Luca, Are you good at jumping through hoops? Being Italian, I would assume so, and having been involved in something similar a few ears ago, albeit slightly more recognised. The big IF/? Is whether it raced at an International/FiA recognised event (I think I'm correct there, Dhudda will confirm!
Old 13 Aug 2021, 04:39 (Ref:4066513)   #3
piggdekk
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
Luca, Are you good at jumping through hoops? Being Italian, I would assume so, and having been involved in something similar a few ears ago, albeit slightly more recognised. The big IF/? Is whether it raced at an International/FiA recognised event (I think I'm correct there, Dhudda will confirm!
I'm not sure I'm good enough at jumping hoops!

As far as I know it raced at one hill climb race which is part of the Italian championship and at the Primavera Trophy in Vallelunga where it won its class.
I don't know if they are FIA races or not, it was 1971.
I'll attach a couple of pictures as they are worth more than 1000 words.
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210726_193729.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	2.35 MB
ID:	70057

Name:	IMG-20210729-WA0013.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	359.4 KB
ID:	70058
Old 13 Aug 2021, 08:12 (Ref:4066527)   #4
Belmondo
Racer

Belmondo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Luca, there's a guy on YouTube called roydpg (a Brit with an Italian wife I think) who's put up a lot of amateur videos of Vallelunga and other similar events in the early 1970s. Doubt it will help with your HTP, but you might well find this car on there. Phil
Old 13 Aug 2021, 08:39 (Ref:4066535)   #5
piggdekk
Rookie

Thank you Phil,
I shall watch the videos, they are always entertaining. I have another car that raced at Vallelunga back in the 70's.
So far it seems like the barn find has no hope to get an HTP, right?
Old 13 Aug 2021, 15:09 (Ref:4066581)   #6
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Alan Morgan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belmondo View Post
Luca, there's a guy on YouTube called roydpg (a Brit with an Italian wife I think) who's put up a lot of amateur videos of Vallelunga and other similar events in the early 1970s. Doubt it will help with your HTP, but you might well find this car on there. Phil
I think "roydpg" is actually Roy Pagliacci, a former FF1600 racer.
Old 16 Aug 2021, 06:06 (Ref:4066971)   #7
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Sure does look a pretty car . Good luck . Keep us posted on your progress .
Old 16 Aug 2021, 07:02 (Ref:4066974)   #8
piggdekk
Rookie

I spoke with a CSAI (Italian FIA) technical inspector and he believes the car may get an HTP, I suppose as "Historic Special" (2.2.8.1 appendix K), but I will follow up with him in a couple of weeks.
It surely looks good, I can already picture it with the body shell as is to keep the patina and the rest all freshened up.
Does anybody have a clue of what type of races an "historic special" can compete?!

Name:	20210816_085737.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	5.85 MB
ID:	70089
Old 27 Aug 2021, 07:12 (Ref:4070600)   #9
Duddha
Racer

United Nations
Geneva, Switzerland
Duddha should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDuddha should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDuddha should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I would not go that way.

To be fair and honest, unless the car has International History in period, which means the race must have been on the INTL calendar for the specific category, not the whole event, it is not worth considering for HTP.

On the Historic Special, it is what one or the ACI-CSAI considers as "significant" and pardon me to say but a book doesn't make it significant, records, results, period drivers and so on would certainly but I'm afraid this lacks what is required to achieve it.

My last take, why do you need an HTP? It's a national car which plenty of clubs would take as such so?
Old 27 Aug 2021, 09:23 (Ref:4070623)   #10
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
similarly to Duddhas comment, I have a friend who considered getting an HTP on a Little GT car, it had been a race car with good history from new . . .and its homologated properly as a GT, however, it had only ever been club racing, to get it FiA ready and eligible for an HTP would have required ruining its originality . . . . for what? a certificate? No disrespect to the HTP but it is currently more about legitimising new cars than old.