Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 19 Aug 2021, 12:28 (Ref:4067719)   #1
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Oulton Gold Cup

Only a week away from the next big UK Historic meeting.

Any entries out yet?

Who's going from Tenths merry bunch?
Old 19 Aug 2021, 13:13 (Ref:4067755)   #2
Brian A
Racer

England
Sunny West Sussex
Brian A should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Only a week away from the next big UK Historic meeting.

Any entries out yet?

Who's going from Tenths merry bunch?

HSCC normally produce a full entry list about a week before the event, so any time now.

I am entered in the Historic Road Sports race - hopefully with a rebuilt gearbox after it broke a main shaft at the BDC meeting a week or so back.
Old 19 Aug 2021, 15:37 (Ref:4067847)   #3
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hoping to be there on the Monday to spectate.
Old 19 Aug 2021, 18:02 (Ref:4067864)   #4
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
I'm racing down at Brands GP circuit with CSCC on the Saturday, and heading over to Castle Combe to watch the Classic Alfa Challenge on the Monday, so will miss this. Blooming calendar's far too congested
Old 19 Aug 2021, 18:05 (Ref:4067865)   #5
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just noticed the following on the HSCC Faceache page:

FUEL SUPPL Y AT OULTON PARK

We have been advised that, due to on-going staff issues, Vital Equipment will NOT be at the Oulton Park Gold Cup.
Old 19 Aug 2021, 18:41 (Ref:4067869)   #6
dwh43scale
Veteran

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
dwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
I'm racing down at Brands GP circuit with CSCC on the Saturday, and heading over to Castle Combe to watch the Classic Alfa Challenge on the Monday, so will miss this. Blooming calendar's far too congested
A little off thread (sorry) - strange that the Combe website doesnt seem to mention the HRDC races.

May head there rather than OP is there are Classic Alfas at play ...
Old 19 Aug 2021, 19:56 (Ref:4067925)   #7
Malcolm Smith
Veteran

Malcolm Smith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Entry List:

https://hscc.org.uk/wp-content/uploa...Gold-Cup-1.pdf
Old 19 Aug 2021, 21:24 (Ref:4067952)   #8
Mike Crow
Racer

Mike Crow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwh43scale View Post
A little off thread (sorry) - strange that the Combe website doesnt seem to mention the HRDC races.

May head there rather than OP is there are Classic Alfas at play ...
Details and timetable are on the Castle Combe Racing Club website. HRDC have three races. They make a great spectacle round Camp and Quarry. Should be a good day
Old 19 Aug 2021, 21:30 (Ref:4067955)   #9
dwh43scale
Veteran

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
dwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Crow View Post
Details and timetable are on the Castle Combe Racing Club website. HRDC have three races. They make a great spectacle round Camp and Quarry. Should be a good day
Thanks - found it.
Old 20 Aug 2021, 06:45 (Ref:4068007)   #10
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Cracking entries so far for most of the series but Dumlop Saloons field seems very thin? Have HSCC missed some of the list or is it due to the calendar
Old 20 Aug 2021, 10:14 (Ref:4068042)   #11
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Cracking entries so far for most of the series but Dumlop Saloons field seems very thin? Have HSCC missed some of the list or is it due to the calendar
I suspect that it's an accurate list. For a number of reasons (primarily, I think, the complexity and expense of the cars), the entries haven't been great for some time. Low-double figures is consistent with previous races.
Old 20 Aug 2021, 17:52 (Ref:4068108)   #12
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Our annual trip up north
Old 20 Aug 2021, 20:40 (Ref:4068136)   #13
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by brands View Post
Our annual trip up north
One day, assuming normality returns at some point, you should try Croft as well. The place is terrific and needs as much support as it is possible to generate.

Combine it with a vacation somewhere North of Morpeth and enjoy wonderful scenery, reasonable costs and some very empty and interesting roads.

Head towards the coast (East) if you feel the need to mingle but always with space easy to find if you so desire. The beaches seem to stretch for miles and miles. Good for walking. Not sure about bathing.
Old 21 Aug 2021, 06:24 (Ref:4068195)   #14
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Alan Morgan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Croft Nostalgia Weekend is due to return next year...
Old 21 Aug 2021, 08:19 (Ref:4068205)   #15
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Morgan View Post
The Croft Nostalgia Weekend is due to return next year...
I wasn't aware - that's very welcome news indeed. Thanks Alan
Old 21 Aug 2021, 12:56 (Ref:4068275)   #16
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
Great news but if the Silverstone Classic is on the weekend of 29th - 31st July, 2022 then the Croft Nostalgia meeting would need to be on the second weekend of August (rather than it's traditional first weekend date) to stand a chance of great grids.
Old 21 Aug 2021, 13:30 (Ref:4068312)   #17
Derwent
Racer

Derwent is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
There does seem to be a reluctance from some of the southern "elite" to come north of Donington. Croft and Oulton Park always get a thinner entry ands there has never been any success getting a decent historic meeting at Knockhill.
Living in the far north of England I am amazed at the lack of knowledge of geography of some of our southern friends. One fellow competitor in the GTS series suggested Anglesey was nearer to me. I had to point out that while for me it was 200 miles to Donington it was in fact 220 to Anglesey.
It's the same with the various TV series of so called celebs touring the UK at the moment. It would seem most had never visited the Lake District let alone Scotland. What a blinkered world they live in.
Old 21 Aug 2021, 16:55 (Ref:4068569)   #18
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Just been chatting to my mate who lives in Broughton in Furness, who is still battling to get his Alfa Junior Z out on track consistently, and we were discussing my forthcoming marathon to Brands.....as he says, he's got at least an hour before he reaches the M6, so he's at least an extra hour on top of that before he could start our journey......Croft is effectively his local circuit ......

This has just prompted me to check the distances for me to the most popular circuits - Oulton is nearest at 57 miles, just over an hour. Slightly surprising to me is that Croft is next (80 miles, 2 hours), then Donington (117, 2 hours or so). Furthest of a batch of over 200 miles is Brands at 260 miles, 4 hours plus, depending on the day
Old 21 Aug 2021, 19:00 (Ref:4068701)   #19
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Three hours and I'm at Dover...then Europe is my oyster!

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk
Old 21 Aug 2021, 22:11 (Ref:4069009)   #20
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Alan Morgan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derwent View Post
There does seem to be a reluctance from some of the southern "elite" to come north of Donington. Croft and Oulton Park always get a thinner entry ands there has never been any success getting a decent historic meeting at Knockhill.
Living in the far north of England I am amazed at the lack of knowledge of geography of some of our southern friends. One fellow competitor in the GTS series suggested Anglesey was nearer to me. I had to point out that while for me it was 200 miles to Donington it was in fact 220 to Anglesey.
It's the same with the various TV series of so called celebs touring the UK at the moment. It would seem most had never visited the Lake District let alone Scotland. What a blinkered world they live in.
It works both ways... I'm mainly involved with the HSCC and some people from the North West complain bitterly about having to drive to Brands for the Superprix in early July (and several don't bother) yet those of us in the South endure August Bank Holiday traffic to get to and from Oulton for the Gold Cup meeting every year.

As midgetman says, once you got to Dover (in happier times) then the real driving could start. We had a very good entry of Historic FF2000 cars at Pau which is well over 1000km from Calais. Most of our guys were towing a trailer behind a small motorhome or camper.

It doesn't matter if it's Croft or Charade - it's all down to having a spirit of adventure...
Old 22 Aug 2021, 08:08 (Ref:4069553)   #21
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Morgan View Post
It doesn't matter if it's Croft or Charade - it's all down to having a spirit of adventure...

Exactly, Alan. Back in the 60s, we used to journey up to Oulton twice a year which meant a 6 or 7 hour journey over a Friday night after we had all worked a very full day. After the Saturday race, we then drove down to Mallory for a race on the Sunday.

Unfortunately, we didn't have the luxury of a camper van, so we either slept in the tow car or under the stars on the trailer. And this in the days when the M6 was still only a dream, so it was all cross country from just after Watford Gap services.
Old 22 Aug 2021, 09:51 (Ref:4069602)   #22
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
I remember racing at Thruxton (for the first time) in the mid-70s and arriving at the circuit around 10-00pm we noticed the gate from paddock to circuit was open so we did a couple of laps in the tow car, with trailer and racecar attached, to see which way the corners went. Not sure if the knowledge helped in practice the next day.

In those days Thruxton offered bunk rooms in a wooden building for competitors at very reasonable rates - certainly cheaper than a hotel. Does anyone else remember them?
Old 22 Aug 2021, 11:36 (Ref:4069643)   #23
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Exactly, Alan. Back in the 60s, we used to journey up to Oulton twice a year which meant a 6 or 7 hour journey over a Friday night after we had all worked a very full day. After the Saturday race, we then drove down to Mallory for a race on the Sunday.

Unfortunately, we didn't have the luxury of a camper van, so we either slept in the tow car or under the stars on the trailer. And this in the days when the M6 was still only a dream, so it was all cross country from just after Watford Gap services.
Sorry to be pedantic Mike, but as Mallory Park is in Leicestershire it would have been the (extended in later years) M1 you would have used, and not the M6 which heads off to Birmingham & beyond!
Old 22 Aug 2021, 14:29 (Ref:4069796)   #24
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
Sorry to be pedantic Mike, but as Mallory Park is in Leicestershire it would have been the (extended in later years) M1 you would have used, and not the M6 which heads off to Birmingham & beyond!

I'm even sorrier that you have tried to be pedantic, Viv! But we would nowadays travel to Oulton on the M6, picking it up from just after Watford Gap, as well as using it on the return when going to Mallory before going home on the Sunday evening. And from Mallory we would have gone back to the M1 for our trip to North London.
Old 22 Aug 2021, 17:57 (Ref:4069848)   #25
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
In the 60s and70s we used to travel to most tracks in the UK, now it normally takes longer to get to most of them even with all the motorways, because of the congestion !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !