Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 4 Oct 2021, 13:18 (Ref:4076925)   #1
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Ride height is too damn low

We have been talking for decades on how to chance racecar regulations to improve the show.

Most people talk about making wings smaller or remove them, or reduce the wheel size.

However, I have a new theory: increase ride height.

Ride height has become smaller and smaller over the years, to increase underbody downforce. To make it work, suspension must be ridiculously hard.

The result is that cars barely roll. And this makes cars look like they aren't cornering fast.

This looks fast:

This doesn't:

So just mandate 10 cm of ride height, and problem solved!
Old 4 Oct 2021, 13:27 (Ref:4076930)   #2
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
We have been talking for decades on how to chance racecar regulations to improve the show.

Most people talk about making wings smaller or remove them, or reduce the wheel size.

However, I have a new theory: increase ride height.

Ride height has become smaller and smaller over the years, to increase underbody downforce. To make it work, suspension must be ridiculously hard.

The result is that cars barely roll. And this makes cars look like they aren't cornering fast.

This looks fast:

This doesn't:

So just mandate 10 cm of ride height, and problem solved!
Interesting thought. When the NGTC regs were first used in BTCC, the following was typical of many observers' comments at the time:

Quote:
For me, as a spectacle, I think the NGTC cars are "ok". They just don't seem to have the poise or precision of the old supertourers or even the S2000 cars. They just seem "wallowy" and very "soft", like a blancmange on wheels, they have so much body-roll.
Old 6 Oct 2021, 09:33 (Ref:4077158)   #3
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
This looks fast:
This doesn't:

The DTM cars may not 'look fast' in a photo but on track their cornering speed was spectacular to watch - they certainly 'looked fast' in the flesh. The aero meant that they couldn't follow each other closely but there was no problem with how fast they looked.
Old 14 Oct 2021, 16:48 (Ref:4078466)   #4
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
I think the DTM car looks much faster! The touring car looks like something someone drove to the track for a RWYB session. The DTM car looks like a spaceship.
Old 14 Oct 2021, 17:30 (Ref:4078474)   #5
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
SC cars look dynamic and spectacular.
DTM cars look maybe fast but also boring.
Old 15 Oct 2021, 16:45 (Ref:4078612)   #6
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
I'm not talking about the bodywork, but about the ride height and roll.
Old 18 Oct 2021, 13:48 (Ref:4078979)   #7
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
I'm not talking about the bodywork, but about the ride height and roll.
I know. But the two things go hand-in-hand. High ride and roll is not what top cars do. I mean, the roll has largely been engineered out of Lotus Cortinas now! There’s a delight to be had in watching drivers grapple with big roll and under-steer, but it’s hardly modern motorsport.
Old 27 Dec 2021, 19:26 (Ref:4091479)   #8
jimclark
Veteran

United States
Champion Porsche/Audi territory
jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!jimclark has a real shot at the podium!
De-regulate the requirement for billiard table smooth circuits. The rest would follow.

jimclark
Old 26 Jul 2022, 18:27 (Ref:4120593)   #9
nelik
Rookie

nelik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
yeees, i agree - it looks really spectacular!
Old 2 Sep 2022, 18:59 (Ref:4124614)   #10
JT240Z
Racer

United States
Geogria
JT240Z should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJT240Z should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimclark View Post
De-regulate the requirement for billiard table smooth circuits. The rest would follow.
One track comes to mind... Sebring.
Old 5 Mar 2023, 16:13 (Ref:4145835)   #11
Presley
Rookie

Presley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In my opinion, To increase ride height while still maintaining underbody downforce, you can use adjustable suspension systems. These systems allow you to raise the car's height without sacrificing the aerodynamic benefits of a lower ride height. Another option is to install an air suspension, which allows you to adjust the ride height on-the-fly while driving. Additionally, you can use taller tires to increase the ride height, although this may affect the car's handling and performance. It's important to consult with a professional mechanic or engineer to determine the best solution for your specific car and racing needs.