Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Closed Thread

Old 16 Sep 2021, 03:07 (Ref:4074164)   #1001
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Happy to bag the hell out of Roland on one hand but still gives him money to run Brock with the other.

I find it hard to argue about rethinking Gen 3 though.

https://www.speedcafe.com/2021/09/16...ted-gen3-over/
Old 12 Oct 2021, 19:06 (Ref:4078243)   #1002
Racing Harz
Veteran

Germany
Herzberg am Harz
Racing Harz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRacing Harz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gen 3 delayed... again...
https://www.supercars.com/news/champ...egarding-gen3/
Old 12 Oct 2021, 20:34 (Ref:4078252)   #1003
Kingair
Veteran

Kingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anymore delays might as well go Gen 4 Hybrid.
Old 12 Oct 2021, 21:41 (Ref:4078254)   #1004
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Can’t wait for the new owners to gut the V8 architecture, fill the field with 2 litre front wheel drive buzz boxes…

At least sanity prevailed and the timetable starts a season.. if it happens
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 12 Oct 2021, 22:04 (Ref:4078257)   #1005
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Can’t wait for the new owners to gut the V8 architecture, fill the field with 2 litre front wheel drive buzz boxes…

At least sanity prevailed and the timetable starts a season.. if it happens

Well at least if that happened the category would get some new manufacturers....
Old 12 Oct 2021, 22:11 (Ref:4078259)   #1006
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich07 View Post
Well at least if that happened the category would get some new manufacturers....
Not quite right, it will have some new BRANDS not necessarily manufacturers..

#genwhen
Old 12 Oct 2021, 22:51 (Ref:4078261)   #1007
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

#genwhen
As is the case now?
Old 12 Oct 2021, 23:25 (Ref:4078262)   #1008
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
In other news TCM announce that the ZB Commodore will be eligible for their historic based category from 2022.
Old 12 Oct 2021, 23:31 (Ref:4078263)   #1009
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

#genwhen
I think the best thing to do would be to build the Mustang and Camaro as close to GT3 regulations as possible.

So could you run the Mustang pseudo-GT3 if you want, or could you run the BMW M4 GT3 if you want, or you could run the Camaro pseudo-GT3 if you want, or you could run the Lexus RC-F GT3 if you want, or you could run the Nissan GTR GT3 if you want etc.

That would be the best way to get a good blend of manufacturers running ostensibly "Supercars".

There is no point reinventing the wheel when GT3 cars (at least the front-engined ones with a steel four-seat body, if you limit to these) are 90% the same as what Supercars intends to build and race!

You'd still have your V8 Mustang, V8 Camaro, and V8 Lexus running around for those who want to see that, but you'd also have your turbo BMW and turbo Nissan running around for those who want to see that too. Everybody's happy, not the least of which BMW, Lexus or Nissan who would engage in a much more cost effective Supercars racing program than what Supercars would otherwise ask!

Last edited by V8 Fireworks; 12 Oct 2021 at 23:45.
Old 13 Oct 2021, 01:20 (Ref:4078269)   #1010
mtpanorama
Veteran

Australia
Bathurst (best racetrack in the world)
mtpanorama should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post
I think the best thing to do would be to build the Mustang and Camaro as close to GT3 regulations as possible.

So could you run the Mustang pseudo-GT3 if you want, or could you run the BMW M4 GT3 if you want, or you could run the Camaro pseudo-GT3 if you want, or you could run the Lexus RC-F GT3 if you want, or you could run the Nissan GTR GT3 if you want etc.

That would be the best way to get a good blend of manufacturers running ostensibly "Supercars".

There is no point reinventing the wheel when GT3 cars (at least the front-engined ones with a steel four-seat body, if you limit to these) are 90% the same as what Supercars intends to build and race!

You'd still have your V8 Mustang, V8 Camaro, and V8 Lexus running around for those who want to see that, but you'd also have your turbo BMW and turbo Nissan running around for those who want to see that too. Everybody's happy, not the least of which BMW, Lexus or Nissan who would engage in a much more cost effective Supercars racing program than what Supercars would otherwise ask!
Would you stop talking sense, you know that isn't allowed.
The other ready built option is TA2, but that doesn't bring the manufacturers in...............oh wait, that hasn't happened yet either with the current rules.

I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good, either
Old 13 Oct 2021, 04:30 (Ref:4078281)   #1011
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
As is the case now?
Ford has official involvement now (2021) while Holden did up until the close of operations in 2020.

Volvo had official involvement, as did Nissan.
Mercedes was a brand involved, as a private team not a manufacturer...
Old 13 Oct 2021, 10:34 (Ref:4078296)   #1012
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Ford are here now, but will they continue for much longer if the new rules aren't to their taste? Holden should hopefully come back, although they are probably happy with customers atm

We probably won't get as good as it was when Volvo and Nissan were involved. Was good to have that variety with Merc coming in with a private team and had works involvement from Volvo and Nissan alongside Ford and Holden, but those days are probably gone for now
Old 13 Oct 2021, 12:16 (Ref:4078307)   #1013
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Ford has official involvement now (2021) while Holden did up until the close of operations in 2020.

Volvo had official involvement, as did Nissan.
Mercedes was a brand involved, as a private team not a manufacturer...
I think the whole lot has been a brand since both Ford and Holden closed manufacturing in this country because that was what the whole DNA of SC was all about.
Old 13 Oct 2021, 18:00 (Ref:4078333)   #1014
Compromised
Veteran

Compromised should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You guys are missing the point - Gen 3 is only being delayed due to INTENSE INTEREST from EUROPEAN manufacturers!!!

When you've got several brands knocking down the door to get into the series the smart play is to give them time. The delay, in all likelihood, will generate more INTEREST from other brands.
Old 13 Oct 2021, 18:27 (Ref:4078334)   #1015
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Now that makes sense. I don’t think there is any hurry for a change of rules. It can survive on the current regs for a few years, so give time for the new formula when it’s ready. It doesn’t need to be introduced now, so we can wait and enjoy how things are
Old 13 Oct 2021, 20:13 (Ref:4078352)   #1016
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Holden should hopefully come back
Holden doesn't exist anymore, even the service departments are called AC Delco now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compromised View Post
Gen 3 is only being delayed due to INTENSE INTEREST from EUROPEAN manufacturers!!!
Not sure if serious or sarcasm, I'll believe it when I see it!
Old 13 Oct 2021, 22:32 (Ref:4078361)   #1017
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
I think the whole lot has been a brand since both Ford and Holden closed manufacturing in this country because that was what the whole DNA of SC was all about.
I look at whether teams received financial and/or technical support from the manufacturer or importer. In 4 out of 5 cases it was true. The other a straight customer deal designed to make the supplier a boatload of Euros..

The story that is shared repeatedly around TCR having so many manufacturers involved is also substantially incorrect.
If I buy the TCR Alfa currently for sale at GRM, does that mean I am manufacturer supported with parts and finances?
No, it means I bought a TCR Alfa that I would have to find all of the funds to run.
Old 13 Oct 2021, 23:10 (Ref:4078366)   #1018
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

Quote:
If I buy the TCR Alfa currently for sale at GRM, does that mean I am manufacturer supported with parts and finances?
No, it means I bought a TCR Alfa that I would have to find all of the funds to run.
Whether they are customer cars or not, the point is that GRM's Alfa Romeo 155s were banned from the Australian Touring Car Championship but welcomed to the Australian Super Touring Car Championship, just as GRM's Alfa Romeo Giuliettas are banned from the Australian Touring Car Championship but welcomed to the Australian TCR Series.

For a touring car championship, the ATCC has long adopted a very restrictive set of regulations that makes it difficult for entrants to affordably run a car of their choice. Whether or not Bond had Alfa Romeo backing, at least he could put his GTV6s on the ATCC grid in the first place!
Old 14 Oct 2021, 00:17 (Ref:4078369)   #1019
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post
Whether they are customer cars or not, the point is that GRM's Alfa Romeo 155s were banned from the Australian Touring Car Championship but welcomed to the Australian Super Touring Car Championship, just as GRM's Alfa Romeo Giuliettas are banned from the Australian Touring Car Championship but welcomed to the Australian TCR Series.

For a touring car championship, the ATCC has long adopted a very restrictive set of regulations that makes it difficult for entrants to affordably run a car of their choice. Whether or not Bond had Alfa Romeo backing, at least he could put his GTV6s on the ATCC grid in the first place!
When were GRM Alfa 155s 'Banned' from anywhere?
And TCR cars are not 'banned' from anywhere either
They do not conform to Supercar regulations.. so are ineligible...
Ineligible... not 'banned'
Old 14 Oct 2021, 00:56 (Ref:4078372)   #1020
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
When were GRM Alfa 155s 'Banned' from anywhere?
And TCR cars are not 'banned' from anywhere either
They do not conform to Supercar regulations.. so are ineligible...
Ineligible... not 'banned'
The GRM Alfa was banned from the Bathurst 1000 in 1995, along with all other 2L cars

All 2-litre cars were banned from the 1995 ATCC too, the fact none wanted to compete in it from early 1994 was a moot point.
Old 14 Oct 2021, 00:57 (Ref:4078373)   #1021
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
You guys are missing the point - Gen 3 is only being delayed due to INTENSE INTEREST from EUROPEAN manufacturers!!!

When you've got several brands knocking down the door to get into the series the smart play is to give them time. The delay, in all likelihood, will generate more INTEREST from other brands.
Is this the intense interest from European manufacturers they’ve been talking about since 2011?
Old 14 Oct 2021, 01:41 (Ref:4078375)   #1022
Compromised
Veteran

Compromised should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
Is this the intense interest from European manufacturers they’ve been talking about since 2011?
Yes, so you can see it's long-term, sustained INTEREST.
Old 14 Oct 2021, 09:54 (Ref:4078406)   #1023
S griffin
Veteran

But will the new makes join? It's right to delay it a bit, but don't bet on others joining
Old 14 Oct 2021, 10:31 (Ref:4078412)   #1024
Casper
Veteran

Quote:

Which battery supplier are the Europeans going to use?
Old 14 Oct 2021, 23:27 (Ref:4078515)   #1025
one five five
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
But will the new makes join? It's right to delay it a bit, but don't bet on others joining
They’ve been joining since 2011, at least that’s what we’ve been told every few months since then

One of these days one will probably hit , but it’s embarrassing for the category (or it should be anyway)
Closed Thread