Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 18 Oct 2021, 19:15 (Ref:4079049)   #226
Pdh
Racer

Pdh should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPdh should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPdh should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Are all 4 TBLs being used by the Motorbase camp this season owned by MB Motorsport?
Motorbase own everything tbls, cars, equipment the lot
Old 18 Oct 2021, 20:01 (Ref:4079052)   #227
Jiiiiiiim
Veteran

England
Devon
Jiiiiiiim should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdh View Post
Motorbase own everything tbls, cars, equipment the lot
Yep, MB just have the naming for their two cars. All staff, kit etc are from Motorbase (apart from the Comms/PR team from MB for their side).
Old 19 Oct 2021, 18:31 (Ref:4079138)   #228
TR4racer
Racer

United Kingdom
London
TR4racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Any new teams, drivers, cars under consideration or are you guys going to rehash the existing motley bunch?
Old 19 Oct 2021, 20:30 (Ref:4079153)   #229
Pickles
Veteran

Pickles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPickles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TR4racer View Post
Any new teams, drivers, cars under consideration or are you guys going to rehash the existing motley bunch?
I'm not currently aware of any new cars coming in, unless you count Suttons fictional new BMR/PMR built RWD machine.
Old 19 Oct 2021, 20:40 (Ref:4079154)   #230
SR18
Rookie

SR18 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How good is Harry King (especially after this season)? Could he head for BTCC?
Old 19 Oct 2021, 21:02 (Ref:4079161)   #231
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR18 View Post
How good is Harry King (especially after this season)? Could he head for BTCC?
I think he's good enough for a BTCC drive, although his stock will have weakened a bit this year.
Old 19 Oct 2021, 21:08 (Ref:4079162)   #232
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
In terms of drivers moving from Porsche to BTCC, Cammish had this to say:

"This is a hiatus for me in the BTCC, but it’s not the end.

“I’ll regroup, I’ll look at my options and come back stronger.”

If budget is not a factor (and it always is), I'm sure most teams would go for Cammish ahead of King based on Cammish's previous experience and 2021 performance.
Old 20 Oct 2021, 07:58 (Ref:4079214)   #233
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
That does surprise me a little bit. Although he enjoyed himself at Thruxton with BTC racing, I got a little bit of an impression he was more happier to be back in Porsches. However I guess absence makes the heart grow fonder here

I'm not going to get my hopes too high for Dan to come back, there's a lot of factors that have to be in place for that to happen. But I agree, he would be an asset to any BTCC team and he has shown he has still got it. King is a star of the future, but I'm not sure where he sees himself long term
Old 20 Oct 2021, 10:46 (Ref:4079224)   #234
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd like to see King in the BTCC, there's kind of feeling BTCC hasn't had a 'new, promising young talent' for quite a while but somehow I doubt he'd be interested in pursuing touring car career.

I'd like to see Cammish back as well, he's been a quality driver in the field.
Old 20 Oct 2021, 11:36 (Ref:4079227)   #235
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by TR4racer View Post
Do you have examples of which teams, drivers or cars should be under consideration?
Old 20 Oct 2021, 11:45 (Ref:4079231)   #236
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt K View Post
I'd like to see King in the BTCC, there's kind of feeling BTCC hasn't had a 'new, promising young talent' for quite a while but somehow I doubt he'd be interested in pursuing touring car career.
I understand your point - and can see why there is that feeling. I think the recent past becomes distant memory too quickly though.

Lloyd was 18 when he made his debut in 2010, and Sutton of course was only 22 when he entered the series in 2016.

Although I do agree that there doesn't seem to be a regular flow of young drivers entering the BTCC - I wonder if that is in part down to the TBL requirements for teams to secure more stability in their drivers?
Old 20 Oct 2021, 11:46 (Ref:4079232)   #237
antnee
Veteran

antnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridantnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt K View Post

I'd like to see Cammish back as well, he's been a quality driver in the field.
Thats an interesting point - all of the people we consider the 'young guns', such as Hill, Moffat, Cook, Proctor, Goff, etc have all been in the championship for quite a while. Proctor is in his 5th season now. Bobby T has done 3 seasons now. Rowbottom seems to be doing the best out of the more recent debutantes, but he is now the wrong side of 30
Old 20 Oct 2021, 14:07 (Ref:4079246)   #238
mprmke
Racer

mprmke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by antnee View Post
Thats an interesting point - all of the people we consider the 'young guns', such as Hill, Moffat, Cook, Proctor, Goff
Sutton is younger than all of those apart from Moffat & Proctor. He's one of the "young guns", even though he's a double (probably soon to be triple) Champion.....
Old 20 Oct 2021, 19:00 (Ref:4079271)   #239
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
I understand your point - and can see why there is that feeling. I think the recent past becomes distant memory too quickly though.

Lloyd was 18 when he made his debut in 2010, and Sutton of course was only 22 when he entered the series in 2016.

Although I do agree that there doesn't seem to be a regular flow of young drivers entering the BTCC - I wonder if that is in part down to the TBL requirements for teams to secure more stability in their drivers?
True but 2010 was over a decade ago and 2016 half a decade. In last 2-3 years there's been no 'young gun' who quickly became a contender. Yes, Rowbottom and Cammish but as Antnee rightly pointed out, they're not that young (in comparison to Sutton, Lloyd, Proctor etc in time when they entered). As you rightly notice, the drivers you've mentioned have been for quite a while.

It's be great to have a new exciting addition to the grid. I'd hoped Jack Mitchell would be more of a thing (not a title contender ofc) but I've been bitterly disappointed.
Old 20 Oct 2021, 19:43 (Ref:4079273)   #240
AnnoyedMoose
Racer

AnnoyedMoose should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAnnoyedMoose should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Youngsters these days are obsessed with F1. Are there any who see BTCC as something to aspire to?
Old 20 Oct 2021, 21:18 (Ref:4079287)   #241
Matt K
Veteran

That's quite a point - answer would sadly be only few, I guess.
Old 20 Oct 2021, 23:24 (Ref:4079298)   #242
medius
Veteran

England
Media Office hiding from the rain
medius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmedius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Font forget there's a fair few race winning seat blockers clinging on to their drives, Chilton/Plato/Shedden/Neate//Ollie Jackson/Jelley/ATS who have l been around since S2000 days and arguably are beyond their prime. That's a quarter of the grid who basically pay a large chunk who contributed to the team existing as a whole. Newcomers would have to make up the shortfall if they left on top of learning the craft.

If say many younger drivers look to GT racing rather than touring cars to earn a living racing.

Max Coates a notable exception. Add him and Graves Motorsport to the maybe pile for 2022.
Old 21 Oct 2021, 09:44 (Ref:4079320)   #243
aland
Veteran

Scotland
West Scotland
aland should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by medius View Post
Font forget there's a fair few race winning seat blockers clinging on to their drives, Chilton/Plato/Shedden/Neate//Ollie Jackson/Jelley/ATS who have l been around since S2000 days and arguably are beyond their prime. That's a quarter of the grid who basically pay a large chunk who contributed to the team existing as a whole. Newcomers would have to make up the shortfall if they left on top of learning the craft.

If say many younger drivers look to GT racing rather than touring cars to earn a living racing.

Max Coates a notable exception. Add him and Graves Motorsport to the maybe pile for 2022.
classic case beeing jonny adam, paid for a btcc drive after success in support races, didnt work out then got the brit gt drive with andrew howard and has not looked back, multiple brit gt champion, class winner at le mans, races what aston martin tells him, trousers a good salary, doesnt have to worry about finding a budget each year
Old 21 Oct 2021, 13:58 (Ref:4079349)   #244
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
or Rob Collard who is better off in GT ?
Old 21 Oct 2021, 15:37 (Ref:4079361)   #245
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche962fan View Post
or Rob Collard who is better off in GT ?
I think the difference in the context of the conversation so far has been that Adam did one year in BTCC around the age of 25, and then moved discipline to GT.
Collard was 51 before moving to GT, having made his debut in BTCC at the age of 31. I don't think Collard has ever been considered a 'new, promising young talent' in either category?

Unless you are referring to Ricky's entry in 2018? AFAIK, both of them have only had one full season in GT against which to judge their success?
Old 21 Oct 2021, 19:53 (Ref:4079390)   #246
aland
Veteran

Scotland
West Scotland
aland should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i remember chatting with jonny back in 2010 at knockhill along with phil dryburgh a gentleman gt racer, i said to jonny "sorry mate you are not a btcc driver, you are too nice, well apart from nerfing plato. You get in front and run away, mind oulton 06 when you won by 5 seconds over jacko and blencowe, your a effin gt racer mate.." phil turned round and held out his hand to me, "your effin right big man, tie i made some calls"...

i am not going to be egotistical and say the rest is history but a seed was sown that day
Old 21 Oct 2021, 20:41 (Ref:4079397)   #247
auroan
Veteran

auroan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by medius View Post

It's not happening in 22. They are running in the mini challenge again and waiting for the first year of hybrids to run through. One of their mechanics ran me in PBMW when I competed against Dave Graves.
Old 22 Oct 2021, 16:13 (Ref:4079470)   #248
AnnoyedMoose
Racer

AnnoyedMoose should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAnnoyedMoose should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by auroan View Post
It's not happening in 22. They are running in the mini challenge again and waiting for the first year of hybrids to run through. One of their mechanics ran me in PBMW when I competed against Dave Graves.
That's a mistake in my eyes if that's what they're doing. I don't see the sense in giving everyone else a year of understanding the hybrid. Surely it's better to come in when everyone has got something to learn?
Old 22 Oct 2021, 17:46 (Ref:4079481)   #249
auroan
Veteran

auroan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnoyedMoose View Post
That's a mistake in my eyes if that's what they're doing. I don't see the sense in giving everyone else a year of understanding the hybrid. Surely it's better to come in when everyone has got something to learn?
Available cars, available tbls, money and skills all come into play. You've got to realise Graves were running club level racers not that long ago and this is their first year in top level mini challenge. Do you honestly think it's a good idea to go straight into the absolute top of UK touring cars unprepared. They've never run a normal btcc car let alone a hybrid.
Old 22 Oct 2021, 18:45 (Ref:4079486)   #250
AnnoyedMoose
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by auroan View Post
Available cars, available tbls, money and skills all come into play. You've got to realise Graves were running club level racers not that long ago and this is their first year in top level mini challenge. Do you honestly think it's a good idea to go straight into the absolute top of UK touring cars unprepared. They've never run a normal btcc car let alone a hybrid.
Ok but everything I read and heard said they were coming in next season. If money has dried up, a TBL is no longer available or a car that was available suddenly isn't then fair enough but if they've just decided to wait another year because of the hybrid coming in that's a mistake as far as I'm concerned.