Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 23 Oct 2021, 17:29 (Ref:4079595)   #2826
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Most of that list is fine, but IMO there needs to be a GP in France, which is missing from there. It’s the birthplace of both motor racing and Grand Prix racing. For me it was a travesty it was off the calendar for so long

Old 24 Oct 2021, 11:34 (Ref:4079697)   #2827
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
The idea that Silverstone is a better track for F1 (or for anything else) than Spa is so bewildering and perplexing that I can't really take in the rest of the list .
Old 24 Oct 2021, 11:40 (Ref:4079699)   #2828
BTCC frog
Veteran

BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anyopenroad View Post
The idea that Silverstone is a better track for F1 (or for anything else) than Spa is so bewildering and perplexing that I can't really take in the rest of the list .
I prefer Spa for qualifying or practice sessions, as it is the best track for just watching the cars, and my second favourite overall. But in a race situation, I enjoy Silverstone the most because of the amount of time drivers can spend side-by-side and how long the battles last, and some of the overtakes that are pulled off there are fantastic.
Old 24 Oct 2021, 16:03 (Ref:4079750)   #2829
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTCC frog View Post
I prefer Spa for qualifying or practice sessions, as it is the best track for just watching the cars, and my second favourite overall.
That criteria is 98.3% of what matters to me, which means Spa and Nurburgring sit all alone in their own categories of awesomeness .

Quote:
But in a race situation, I enjoy Silverstone the most because of the amount of time drivers can spend side-by-side and how long the battles last, and some of the overtakes that are pulled off there are fantastic.
I get that. I'd have Silverstone on the list because of 150,000 fans turning up every year, despite it being a soulless dump .

Your list has circuits on it for a variety of reasons, including some just for the spectacle even if the racing sucks. I like that. That variety is essential.

Brands Hatch though - nah, would be a shambles. Either the cars would be tootling around in a line because it's too narrow and there's no way to pass, or they'd be tootling around in a line behind the safety car because someone went 1cm off the tarmac and put it in the barriers/gravel, necessitating a 30 min recovery/repair. Pretty though, so maybe that's enough!
Old 25 Oct 2021, 14:13 (Ref:4079939)   #2830
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I was going to suggest that you could hold an F1 *race* at Brands Hatch quite easily (Anyopenroad's comments notwithstanding).

It would be utterly impossible to have all the slebs/guests/paddock club people there though, so revenue would drop, and it wouldn't happen again.

Please don't ever mention Donington holding a future F1 race ever again. I was there when it closed in 2009 and the place has only recently recovered from the butchery that effort caused!
Old 25 Oct 2021, 14:20 (Ref:4079941)   #2831
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
I was going to suggest that you could hold an F1 *race* at Brands Hatch quite easily (Anyopenroad's comments notwithstanding).

It would be utterly impossible to have all the slebs/guests/paddock club people there though, so revenue would drop, and it wouldn't happen again.

Please don't ever mention Donington holding a future F1 race ever again. I was there when it closed in 2009 and the place has only recently recovered from the butchery that effort caused!

Is revenue entirely dependent on all the slebs/guests/paddock club people being there?
Old 25 Oct 2021, 15:50 (Ref:4079953)   #2832
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Is revenue entirely dependent on all the slebs/guests/paddock club people being there?

Unless things have changed dramatically since Mr E left, then it has no real effect on the circuits revenue. How it was set up meant that all the Paddock Club revenue went into FOM's coffers.

The circuits were pretty well entirely dependant on spectator revenue, which is why the British GP has nearly always been a loss leader for the BRDC.
Old 25 Oct 2021, 16:09 (Ref:4079960)   #2833
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Unless things have changed dramatically since Mr E left, then it has no real effect on the circuits revenue. How it was set up meant that all the Paddock Club revenue went into FOM's coffers.
Sorry, yes, that's what I meant. All the hospitality stuff, paddock club memberships, etc etc are paid to Formula 1 themselves. That's a bit of a golden goose, so must absolutely not be impacted in any way.
Old 25 Oct 2021, 16:24 (Ref:4079964)   #2834
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Sorry, yes, that's what I meant. All the hospitality stuff, paddock club memberships, etc etc are paid to Formula 1 themselves. That's a bit of a golden goose, so must absolutely not be impacted in any way.

When you say it would be utterly impossible to have all the slebs/guests/paddock club people there, is that because Brands lacks the hospitality facilities?
Old 25 Oct 2021, 16:52 (Ref:4079967)   #2835
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
When you say it would be utterly impossible to have all the slebs/guests/paddock club people there, is that because Brands lacks the hospitality facilities?
No, it's because the inner paddock is absolutely tiny, and half the outer paddock is on a slope. There's no room to build the paddock club structures, yet also have all the behemoth team buildings and hospitality gubbins within reasonable reach of the garages. And that's just the F1 circus - given everything else in support, half the awnings would be out on the M20

Compare and contrast the two at the same scale...

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2021-10-25 at 17.45.11.png
Views:	7
Size:	2.21 MB
ID:	71451

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2021-10-25 at 17.46.09.png
Views:	6
Size:	2.12 MB
ID:	71452

...and then recall that Silverstone keeps all the support stuff over at Copse in the old paddock (which is bigger than both paddocks at Brands added together, and about three times the area of the Wing paddock), and has the old runways and the Stowe circuit for parking trucks on too, I think you'll see the reason why I say it could never happen.
Old 25 Oct 2021, 17:02 (Ref:4079969)   #2836
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
No, it's because the inner paddock is absolutely tiny, and half the outer paddock is on a slope. There's no room to build the paddock club structures, yet also have all the behemoth team buildings and hospitality gubbins within reasonable reach of the garages. And that's just the F1 circus - given everything else in support, half the awnings would be out on the M20

Compare and contrast the two at the same scale...

Attachment 71451

Attachment 71452

...and then recall that Silverstone keeps all the support stuff over at Copse in the old paddock (which is bigger than both paddocks at Brands added together, and about three times the area of the Wing paddock), and has the old runways and the Stowe circuit for parking trucks on too, I think you'll see the reason why I say it could never happen.

Fair enough.
Old 25 Oct 2021, 22:21 (Ref:4080024)   #2837
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Then look at Zandvoort where there is very little space for an F1 size paddock.
Old 25 Oct 2021, 22:48 (Ref:4080031)   #2838
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post
Then look at Zandvoort where there is very little space for an F1 size paddock.
Still more space than at Brands though!!
Old 11 Nov 2021, 16:34 (Ref:4082800)   #2839
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
An interesting observation (and maybe a fact for the race thread when it is created):
This weekend sees the inaugural Grande Prêmio de São Paulo. All previous races hosted in Brazil have been variants of Grande Prêmio do Brasil.

Which made me wonder, how many other F1 races now (and in future) are no longer named after the nation?
We have the following for 2021:
Gran Premio dell'Emilia Romagna
Grosser Preis der Steiermark
Gran Premio de la Ciudad de México
Abu Dhabi Grand Prix

Emilia Romagna and Steiermark are recent additions due to COVID calendar changes, and Abu Dhabi has always been named after the city.
Ciudad de México however is a 2021 change to also be named after the city.

2022 will also see the introduction of the Miami Grand Prix, are we going to see more races named locally rather than nationally in the future?
Old 11 Nov 2021, 17:34 (Ref:4082817)   #2840
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
2022 will also see the introduction of the Miami Grand Prix, are we going to see more races named locally rather than nationally in the future?
i guess it depends on where the funding comes from (federal or regional) or what the goals are for the event (promote tourism for the country as a whole or primarily just for the region).

its an interesting trend you point out though...i would infer that the current trend is towards promoting specific places/more targeted advertising programs hence the growing number of regional/city names?

naming something the Pacific GP or European GP feels too broad and is passé now?

would add a change from the Canadian GP to the Montreal GP would be a welcomed change for me. within Canada, Montreal is unique in its connection with F1 and it is something the city should be able to specifically highlight (even though though receive some federal funding).
Old 11 Nov 2021, 18:42 (Ref:4082845)   #2841
BTCC frog
Veteran

BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!
I don't like the name changes at all, personally. I feel there is a long standing tradition of 'the Brazilian GP' and that this renaming is a pointless way to complicate statistics for the sake of advertising, in the same way as the change in name from Toro Rosso to Alpha Tauri was.
Old 11 Nov 2021, 19:36 (Ref:4082852)   #2842
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Could it possibly have anything to do with the fact that Liberty seem to want to expand the championship, so therefore requiring more than one race in some or maybe many countries?
Old 11 Nov 2021, 20:35 (Ref:4082859)   #2843
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
I don't like the name changes at all, personally. I feel there is a long standing tradition of 'the Brazilian GP' and that this renaming is a pointless way to complicate statistics for the sake of advertising, in the same way as the change in name from Toro Rosso to Alpha Tauri was.
For sure I get that and for sure some names carry more history then others.

But in fairness, the race's name does already change from time to time, different sponsors come and go, and in this case, it has been held at different venues so any statistics would have to be compiled accordingly anyways.

Or if a name change here helps Interlagos keep its race (through returns on advertising or tourism etc) then for me my desire would be more towards the place rather then the country.

Always difficult to know which history is worth holding on to and what stuff isnt as important...and once its gone its gone.
Old 11 Nov 2021, 20:37 (Ref:4082860)   #2844
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Could it possibly have anything to do with the fact that Liberty seem to want to expand the championship, so therefore requiring more than one race in some or maybe many countries?
Possibly in the case of Miami but they’re not thinking of multiple races in Mexico or Brazil.
The level of government funding the race is saying they want the race named after that level of government.Hopefully here in Australia we won’t get the Victorian Grand Prix.
Do Liberty know how to say no?
Old 11 Nov 2021, 21:12 (Ref:4082870)   #2845
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Yes, it’s fine when you have a GP in one more than one country. If it’s the only GP what’s the point? It should be better known by the country it hosts. For me, this weekend will be the Brazilian GP and it being called the Sao Paolo GP is a nonsense. And the San Marino GP is better than the Emilio Romanio GP
Old 11 Nov 2021, 21:26 (Ref:4082876)   #2846
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
And the San Marino GP is better than the Emilio Romanio GP
I can't agree on that. The race is held in Emilia-Romagna, not San Marino.

Personally, I'm all in favour of more regional names for races. In many countries, there are large cultural differences between regions, and a locally named race can reflect that.

e.g. for many people in Campangia, a race north of Lazio could just as well be in a different country. The cultural association with northern regions can be hard to identify.
Old 11 Nov 2021, 22:03 (Ref:4082886)   #2847
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
I like that each country has its own Grand Prix. It's an international series. So continuing with Italy as an example, the Grand Prix race at Monza is the Italian Grand Prix, not the Monza Grand Prix and the other Grand Prix races held in Italy use the regional names like Emilia Romagna and the Tuscan Grand Prix, like last year.
Old 13 Nov 2021, 10:59 (Ref:4083176)   #2848
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
For me, San Marino GP is iconic. It has great history and something a lot of fans can recognise. Let’s face it, there is never going to be an actual GP in San Marino. You’d have more chance of their national team reaching the Euros!
Old 17 Nov 2021, 11:35 (Ref:4083968)   #2849
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post
If the teams and drivers had an ounce of morals they would not consider going to Saudi Arabia
Formula 1 boss Stefano Domenicali says the new grands prix in Qatar and Saudi Arabia can help drive progress on human rights in the countries.

'The Gulf states have been criticised for their human rights records but Domenicali argued that "shutting countries off" would have a negative effect.

Domenicali said: "Such an important change cannot happen overnight. It is a cultural change that will take time.

"But the timing will be accelerated by the fact big events are there. And Formula 1 will play an important role in that respect."'
Old 17 Nov 2021, 11:49 (Ref:4083972)   #2850
S griffin
Veteran

Typical sportwashing comment there. Continuing to line the pockets of these government backed races doesn’t make the problem go away, just plays into their hands more. I just hope more sports people speak out against these type of events