Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 22 Oct 2021, 01:12 (Ref:4079424)   #276
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
We’ll stop on the way in on Thursday. Or now we are on a quicker run could bring some stuff. Is there a way to keep it cool when there?
Old 22 Oct 2021, 02:36 (Ref:4079428)   #277
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
So what's all on the menu this year. I assume steaks on Friday, and I'll bring my usual sausage load. But that isn't really a meal, just some extra protein.
I'm still debating ribs on race day but I'll need to get a good count and probably bring all 3 coolers then. My count was at least 10, including the foreign site crashers but not including Thomas/Leigh Ann or UA or any other visitors.
I was assuming steak night Friday as usual. I'm bringing both grills so we'll have smoker and grill option and extra space. I am still considering some breakfast plans, I did buy a bigger pot and 2 pourovers for coffee, I'll bring plenty so no need to stop for some or a pot. I'll bring the Dutch ovens so biscuits in the morning, likely cinnamon rolls for the honey bun and monster breakfast guy in the camper.
I'm open to requests, likely bringing some veg to throw in the grill as well. I need to get my good ice blocks in the freezer but the wife's baking stuff is taking over fridge and freezer space, we added another fridge so 1 medium fridge, large kitchen fridge and 2 large chest freezers, and I can't get room to freeze 5 blocks for my coolers?
Old 22 Oct 2021, 02:38 (Ref:4079429)   #278
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
We’ll stop on the way in on Thursday. Or now we are on a quicker run could bring some stuff. Is there a way to keep it cool when there?
I may have some cooler space if needed, possibly get another cooler loaded. May just have to rotate beverages in to the cooler to keep some space open. Usually we end up with close to 25 coolers in camp somehow
Old 22 Oct 2021, 02:44 (Ref:4079431)   #279
RX7Mandingo
Rookie

United States
Jacksonville, FL
RX7Mandingo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
So what's all on the menu this year. I assume steaks on Friday, and I'll bring my usual sausage load. But that isn't really a meal, just some extra protein.
I'm doing seafood gumbo raceway with shrimp, crawfish, and crab.
Friday for the pre-races and qualifying I'm probably doing something easy like spaghetti and garlic bread.
Old 25 Oct 2021, 13:39 (Ref:4079931)   #280
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
I'm still debating ribs on race day but I'll need to get a good count and probably bring all 3 coolers then. My count was at least 10, including the foreign site crashers but not including Thomas/Leigh Ann or UA or any other visitors.
I was assuming steak night Friday as usual. I'm bringing both grills so we'll have smoker and grill option and extra space. I am still considering some breakfast plans, I did buy a bigger pot and 2 pourovers for coffee, I'll bring plenty so no need to stop for some or a pot. I'll bring the Dutch ovens so biscuits in the morning, likely cinnamon rolls for the honey bun and monster breakfast guy in the camper.
I'm open to requests, likely bringing some veg to throw in the grill as well. I need to get my good ice blocks in the freezer but the wife's baking stuff is taking over fridge and freezer space, we added another fridge so 1 medium fridge, large kitchen fridge and 2 large chest freezers, and I can't get room to freeze 5 blocks for my coolers?
Did you run power to your fancy new shed? Or how bout an extension cord and another freezer out there?

I am undecided on the rest of my food, but am going to be bringing those handwarmer things to throw in my sleeping bag at night!
Old 25 Oct 2021, 14:56 (Ref:4079945)   #281
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
..... but am going to be bringing those handwarmer things to throw in my sleeping bag at night!
Aren't you from Iowa?
Old 25 Oct 2021, 17:09 (Ref:4079970)   #282
RX7Mandingo
Rookie

United States
Jacksonville, FL
Random last minute thought.
Is RA requiring any kind of proof of vaccination or negative test results for entry?
Old 25 Oct 2021, 18:29 (Ref:4079984)   #283
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RX7Mandingo View Post
Random last minute thought.
Is RA requiring any kind of proof of vaccination or negative test results for entry?
Nah, playa! Racing in Georgia!

I've not heard anything about proof of non-Covids, but I will say (and I believe it's been less likely in the last handful of years), they may request to search your vehicle for alcohol. They'll ask if you have any and gauge your response. This was BIG problem about what? 7 years ago? I've not had any issues *knocking on wood* lately.

Last edited by fieldodreams79; 25 Oct 2021 at 18:38. Reason: WAS a BIG problem
Old 25 Oct 2021, 19:59 (Ref:4079999)   #284
RX7Mandingo
Rookie

United States
Jacksonville, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post

I've not heard anything about proof of non-Covids, but I will say (and I believe it's been less likely in the last handful of years), they may request to search your vehicle for alcohol. They'll ask if you have any and gauge your response. This was BIG problem about what? 7 years ago? I've not had any issues *knocking on wood* lately.
I'm not really worried about either one as I've been vax'ed, and I for one will not be breaking any laws or track policies
Old 25 Oct 2021, 20:32 (Ref:4080000)   #285
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Last time I went up there they didn't care about anything, I think even the mask requirement (at the gate and when you leave your site wink, wink) was not in place.
Old 25 Oct 2021, 20:41 (Ref:4080003)   #286
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Did you run power to your fancy new shed? Or how bout an extension cord and another freezer out there?

I am undecided on the rest of my food, but am going to be bringing those handwarmer things to throw in my sleeping bag at night!
Yeah, but it's a 10 ga extension cord from the house outlet with 2 lights and 3 outlets on it so it's a stretch for a freezer. I'm just gonna eat more stuff out of the freezer to make space and find ways to wedge them in. In theory we shouldn't need as much ice either.

Think ribs will be on the menu for Sat, not too bad a price for St Louis cut today at Costco. I'll probably do ribs and beans in the smoker and the rest of you can bring whatever. Think I'm gonna bring my 2 Anchor Christmas ales of 2010 and 2014, supposed to age well and if they suck well they can be poured out. Supposedly 10 years is ok but 3-5 is best so we'll see with the 2014.

Steak night will be a challenge but with the big Weber and the pellet I'll have space. Thinking zucchini and maybe baby potatoes as well with the steaks on the pellet to temp and sear on the kettle so everyone gets theirs right. Except Erick cause f the well done people
Old 25 Oct 2021, 20:41 (Ref:4080004)   #287
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Drink

Quote:

I've not heard anything about proof of non-Covids, …

Quote:
…but I will say (and I believe it's been less likely in the last handful of years), they may request to search your vehicle for alcohol. They'll ask if you have any and gauge your response. This was BIG problem about what? 7 years ago? I've not had any issues *knocking on wood* lately.
Sounds like Le Mans. I’d not considered this - thanks for the heads up.

What’s their beef? Glass bottles? Drinking alcohol is a sin /causes trouble? Or trying to make sure you buy at the track?

How hidden shall we make it? Spare wheel well? The whisky is no problem, but we’re going to bring some cans too.
Old 25 Oct 2021, 20:54 (Ref:4080008)   #288
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Quote:

What’s their beef? Glass bottles? Drinking alcohol is a sin /causes trouble? Or trying to make sure you buy at the track?

How hidden shall we make it? Spare wheel well? The whisky is no problem, but we’re going to bring some cans too.
I believe you have the answer there, and both answers. Hall County had a few ANGRY old farts wanting the track closed and anti-alcohol cause the Bible says, just ignore that water to wine it not meant to be literal. But they were ok with the sales of it, just only if the track and the local guy gets to make all the money.

Honestly the last 3-4 years just don't have it obvious. I generally hide the beer cooler under the bed cover and the food cooler is visible in the cab so if they ask there's one there with a couple beers in it. Liquor gets hidden in the side boxes but that's to keep them from rattling and breaking

And we've had at least this much on the kitchen counter most years no problem. I usually toast the GSP guys as they drive by and they give a wave so the rule is don't be an ass and they don't care once you're in
Old 25 Oct 2021, 20:57 (Ref:4080009)   #289
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
I'm not really worried about either one as I've been vax'ed, and I for one will not be breaking any laws or track policies

Quote:

It's really about the State & County and their dumbass ordinances. Food is no problem, but you can't bring that devil water in and potentially trying to get revenue for the track but this is what is stated at the gate and on the website.

https://www.roadatlanta.com/track-in...track-policies
Quote:
At our fans request, we are providing expanded food and beverage (alcoholic & non-alcoholic) services throughout the entire facility. State of Georgia and Hall County law requires that alcohol may not be brought into our facility. A variety of food and beverages are available at our concession stands.
Maybe the AMA / drift races were causing some issues where they decided to start cracking down; not that PLM isn't getting a little crazy. But one year, it was crazy crackdown. Then subsided so I feel like I'm just passing along useful info and not raising red flags.

If you don't make it obvious, I think you're fine. Again, for you first timers, thought it might be useful info.
Old 25 Oct 2021, 21:04 (Ref:4080010)   #290
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
I believe you have the answer there, and both answers. Hall County had a few ANGRY old farts wanting the track closed and anti-alcohol cause the Bible says, just ignore that water to wine it not meant to be literal. But they were ok with the sales of it, just only if the track and the local guy gets to make all the money.

Honestly the last 3-4 years just don't have it obvious. I generally hide the beer cooler under the bed cover and the food cooler is visible in the cab so if they ask there's one there with a couple beers in it. Liquor gets hidden in the side boxes but that's to keep them from rattling and breaking

And we've had at least this much on the kitchen counter most years no problem. I usually toast the GSP guys as they drive by and they give a wave so the rule is don't be an ass and they don't care once you're in
I think they also may have realized this was an extremely poor look and not good for the real racing fans, so they went back to just saying, "hey, the ordinances state you can't bring it in; try not to be a jerk and we won't be a jerk".

And no way, we all bring a different bottle with no duplicates this year. NO WAY.
Old 25 Oct 2021, 21:11 (Ref:4080014)   #291
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Quote:
I think they also may have realized this was an extremely poor look and not good for the real racing fans, so they went back to just saying, "hey, the ordinances state you can't bring it in; try not to be a jerk and we won't be a jerk".

And no way, we all bring a different bottle with no duplicates this year. NO WAY.
Yeah, apparently one year of drift was BAD and they banned camping, or severely restricted it, the next

Duplicates? Well no one else will have that crazy priced Sazerac so that's out. I could see a double of Russell, maybe an Old Forester. Think I'll have a bottle of this year's single barrel Larceny and maybe Wilderness Trail or a Russell. And that was just for 4 of us I think in the picture, that was last year so don't think it was anyone else. I'll have more fancy beers to share than liquor, some have been aging a minute and need to either drink or get rid of them so drink and share it is
Old 25 Oct 2021, 21:35 (Ref:4080020)   #292
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

It's the Devil's elixir!

Just make an effort that it isn't visible. If you haven't already lost your accent, it will pull you out of almost any jam. It won't work on us though.
Old 25 Oct 2021, 21:48 (Ref:4080021)   #293
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
It's the Devil's elixir!

Just make an effort that it isn't visible. If you haven't already lost your accent, it will pull you out of almost any jam. It won't work on us though.
He might be able to translate Tony English though
Old 25 Oct 2021, 21:59 (Ref:4080023)   #294
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
If you don't make it obvious, I think you're fine. Again, for you first timers, thought it might be useful info.
it’s great thanks to all.

Quote:
We should have something different. There is duty free on the way over
Old 25 Oct 2021, 23:52 (Ref:4080040)   #295
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Debating a vertical tasting, have a couple Larceny
Some of the variety to choose from as well
Old 26 Oct 2021, 12:43 (Ref:4080146)   #296
RX7Mandingo
Rookie

United States
Jacksonville, FL
Been looking at the trackmap on google maps to try and plan out a decent site to set up camp. Since y'all have been to the track a few times whats the area like near the esses between turns 4 and 5? I've circled where it is I'm thinking of setting up.
Attached Thumbnails
track.jpg  
Old 26 Oct 2021, 12:45 (Ref:4080147)   #297
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
As for the alcohol BR96, it depends. Do you have water with your whiskey and if so, do you trust the circuit's water supply? Otherwise just bring the beers, it'll be easier
Old 26 Oct 2021, 13:26 (Ref:4080154)   #298
RX7Mandingo
Rookie

United States
Jacksonville, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
As for the alcohol BR96, it depends. Do you have water with your whiskey and if so, do you trust the circuit's water supply? Otherwise just bring the beers, it'll be easier
I am kinda curious about water supply at the track. Do they have some place i can fill up a 5 gallon water jug? Also is there someplace to get ice at the track or do you have to go off site to find some?
Old 26 Oct 2021, 13:39 (Ref:4080157)   #299
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
I'll answer a couple things here at once.

No ice on site, I'm still amazed no Boy Scout troop has tried to do ice on golf carts but you'll have to hit Publix or gas station. Water, well you can fill at the comfort station in the shower is a tap but I would bring some.

As for your camping options, the lower area is out. I've marked up the new reserved spots along the road, Esses Overlook on your map yup it's named now. The upper spot MIGHT work but it is not close to flat and the flat areas have campers on them who are there every year. You can't drive anywhere close to it and up in the tree line is the levelish areas.

Comfort station is green circle at lower right. Our camping area is orange circle at lower left, we have the lower side of the tree from the map, Tom's kids have the upper side. He had not missed a major event at the track since it opened until he passed last spring so it will always be his site to me.

Last edited by broadrun96; 26 Oct 2021 at 13:52.
Old 26 Oct 2021, 14:10 (Ref:4080164)   #300
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
I am kinda curious about water supply at the track. Do they have some place i can fill up a 5 gallon water jug? Also is there someplace to get ice at the track or do you have to go off site to find some?
Pretty sure the water supply is municipal Hall County. I've never drank it in 20 years as we bring the "drinking water" jugs from the grocery b/c it's cheap and more convenient. I want to say there are some actual spigots around, but can't say where (maybe that pavilion at the top of the hill at T3?) and outside other comfort stations. If you are counting on filling jugs there, you can; it just may be a little goofy.

There is a service station right near the track that sells "the big bag" (20 lbs) and other sizes of ice; we generally request late arrivers to bring us a bag or two b/c we don't venture back out, but the station is a Chevron and is here:
5516 Winder Hwy, Braselton, GA 30517

It will depend on your cooler and ice consumption, but my guess is the weather will be cool enough for it not to be too big of a deal, but echoing broad, you'll have to pick it up prior to arrival.