Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 27 Oct 2021, 22:15 (Ref:4080337)   #351
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Amazing to think that CAMS basically gave the category to the teams at the end of 1995, and over 25 years the teams have now offloaded all of it….. what was the point ?

I wonder if Eugene or Motorsport Australia have a comment on this?
Old 27 Oct 2021, 22:19 (Ref:4080339)   #352
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I mean apart from the massive commercial success that outlasted other categories by at least 3 times?

CAMS could never have done anything like it. But yeah, what was the point?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
Old 28 Oct 2021, 00:01 (Ref:4080341)   #353
Sandgroper
Veteran

Australia
Perth WA (south of the river)
Sandgroper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Now we wait, listen and watch the chess pieces move into place.

Interesting times await.
Old 28 Oct 2021, 00:59 (Ref:4080342)   #354
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
I mean apart from the massive commercial success that outlasted other categories by at least 3 times?

CAMS steered the championship for 37 years , so they actually did it for longer.

What was the point of CAMS giving it away when the teams, who championed for inclusion and input and a stake in the series, now have no ownership of it?
Old 28 Oct 2021, 00:59 (Ref:4080343)   #355
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:

Arguably CAMS negotiated the best TV deal for Australian viewers, but commercial promotion was never their area of expertise.
Old 28 Oct 2021, 01:12 (Ref:4080344)   #356
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
CAMS steered the championship for 37 years , so they actually did it for longer.

What was the point of CAMS giving it away when the teams, who championed for inclusion and input and a stake in the series, now have no ownership of it?
You don’t have to own something to control it
The new ‘charter’ agreement apparently tethers the current REC holders to the RACE series, with some level of oversight/input likely negotiated to assure the continuance.
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 28 Oct 2021, 01:13 (Ref:4080345)   #357
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anyone investing that sort of money was always going to want total control and that is fair enough as they take the risks involved. I am still not convinced it is a good long term investment when looked at with regard to the changes happening in the industry world wide but they are more clever than me.
Old 28 Oct 2021, 02:46 (Ref:4080350)   #358
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
but they are more clever than me.
You really sure about that, I have known some very clever people who really weren't when the crunch came.
Old 28 Oct 2021, 02:47 (Ref:4080351)   #359
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chavez View Post
Arguably CAMS negotiated the best TV deal for Australian viewers, but commercial promotion was never their area of expertise.
Free to air is just not the best deal anymore.
I don't have antenna and the 7 app is ****. The ads play perfectly but then show errors out, and then you have another 4 ads.
The rules for broadcast TV allow 13 mins per hour not including "internal" promotional content, which seven shows a lot of.
There are no rules about number or timing of ads with catch up apps and it shows.
So for my 20 mins an hour I will pony up for Kayo when it suits me.

Old 28 Oct 2021, 04:01 (Ref:4080360)   #360
2 litre Touring Car Star
Veteran

Australia
2 litre Touring Car Star User had had their licence endorsed2 litre Touring Car Star User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan52 View Post
My personal worry is that as someone who attends both ARG and Supercars meetings if they combine them into 1 big show that halves the number of meetings I would be interested in attending.Less racing to go to is never a good idea.
Sorry, your humble enthusiasm to enjoy a broader range of motor racing and bigger, wider motor racing "landscape" in Australia is not as important to holing onto the steadily bland and antiquated status quo.

Quote:
Amazing to think that CAMS basically gave the category to the teams at the end of 1995, and over 25 years the teams have now offloaded all of it….. what was the point ?
There was no point other than acting on delusions of grandeur.
Old 28 Oct 2021, 04:28 (Ref:4080362)   #361
2 litre Touring Car Star
Veteran

Australia
2 litre Touring Car Star User had had their licence endorsed2 litre Touring Car Star User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:

Mixer uses a non-motor racing reason to justify supercars. What a surprise.

What commercial success? Compared to state HQ racing?

There's been increased commercial activity, but so has everything else!

Bathurst carries the tv/commercial right. How would such a deal compare if Bathurst wasn't included as it should be?

In the 90s, you could say it was the most popular national competition, sports series. But nowadays, that pie has been encroached on.

Many commercial failures, but Australia has such a lame motor racing culture, it justifies a bland 5 litre V8 series. A slightly more formal speedway.
Old 28 Oct 2021, 07:01 (Ref:4080368)   #362
cavvy
Veteran

cavvy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
where to from here ...

Quote:

The newly formed RACE Ltd has effective control of all national motor racing series & as Tony Cochrane demonstrated it can be a money maker that is well positioned to 'raid' the public purse.

There was a time when the circuit promoters controlled the events - do the circuits have a body that discuss their role in servicing the needs of we fans ?

Speaking optimistically ....
Old 28 Oct 2021, 09:53 (Ref:4080392)   #363
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Let's just hope they can help series work together to get them all sustainable. But we'll have to wait and see, early days yet
Old 28 Oct 2021, 10:16 (Ref:4080397)   #364
cavvy
Veteran

Barclay Nettlefold

https://www.mediaweek.com.au/barclay...their-engines/
Supercars sale: Barclay Nettlefold and his backers have crossed the finish line first to take control of one of Australia’s biggest sports.

On the eve of the return to racing after a three-month hiatus, Archer Capital has confirmed that it has reached an agreement to sell its majority shareholding in Supercars to Racing Australia Consolidated Enterprises Ltd (RACE).

RACE is a consortium led by Melbourne entrepreneur and CEO of QMS Sport, Barclay Nettlefold, together with the Australian Racing Group and Henslow.

Archer Capital said the new ownership group has operational experience and brings significant marketing clout to Supercars and is excited about aligning the major circuit racing categories in Australia.

Transition of the shareholding will be completed by the end of the year, with RACE starting to engage in planning for 2022 with Archer and management.

During 2021 Nettlefold has been focusing on running TGI Sport as its chief executive officer. Earlier this year QMS Media completed a strategic partnership with Bruin Capital where Bruin and Quadrant Private Equity become co-owners of global sports technology company TGI Sport which includes TLA Worldwide (Aust) Pty Ltd and TLA – ESP Limited (UK).
Old 29 Oct 2021, 05:57 (Ref:4080517)   #365
bludvl_x19
Veteran

Australia
umop apisdn
bludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridbludvl_x19 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavvy View Post
The newly formed RACE Ltd has effective control of all national motor racing series & as Tony Cochrane demonstrated it can be a money maker that is well positioned to 'raid' the public purse.

There was a time when the circuit promoters controlled the events - do the circuits have a body that discuss their role in servicing the needs of we fans ?

Speaking optimistically ....
Not all of them.

In fact, the largest manufacturer presence/spend in Australian motorsport might be left out in the cold by this new conglomerate.
Old 29 Oct 2021, 13:24 (Ref:4080559)   #366
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bludvl_x19 View Post
Not all of them.

In fact, the largest manufacturer presence/spend in Australian motorsport might be left out in the cold by this new conglomerate.
Don't be shy, please tell all for those who don't know what you are on about.
Old 30 Oct 2021, 08:24 (Ref:4080667)   #367
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Don't be shy, please tell all for those who don't know what you are on about.
I am guessing Toyota & the 86 series..
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 30 Oct 2021, 22:05 (Ref:4080733)   #368
one five five
Veteran

Or Porsche perhaps?

ARG has a share of Aussie GT, and AGT and Porsche have never gotten along

Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Let's just hope they can help series work together to get them all sustainable. But we'll have to wait and see, early days yet
the RACE consortium would need to completely clean out all current Supercars staff then and start afresh. No one at Supercars has ever wanted anything to be sustainable other than themselves for 25 years….
Old 31 Oct 2021, 00:57 (Ref:4080756)   #369
Casper
Veteran

Quote:
No one at Supercars has ever wanted anything to be sustainable other than themselves for 25 years….
Which is the whole point of any business I would have thought. Archer never went in thinking they would never pull out so someone buys it and starts the whole process over again. I have just recently established a new business with only one goal and that is to be out of it in three years time. I'm in it for me and no one else.
Old 31 Oct 2021, 01:19 (Ref:4080758)   #370
2 litre Touring Car Star
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
No one at Supercars has ever wanted anything to be sustainable other than themselves for 25 years….
There is not a comment on any motor racing subject in the whole catalogue/database of the whole of the www/internet that is more accurate than this one.

When you say "supercars" it also means "the fans" (Like the Mixer types?) who'd much rather Aus motorsport be as it is with supercars than have a wider, variable, egalitarian community/industry, which would have to involve other classes of racing, and not allow the "top tier" get so far ahead of everything else as create a clique/"powerbase and an underclass.

Now I notice Casper's comment, which undermines whatever experience he has in motorsport.
Old 31 Oct 2021, 03:41 (Ref:4080767)   #371
Casper
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 litre Touring Car Star View Post
There is not a comment on any motor racing subject in the whole catalogue/database of the whole of the www/internet that is more accurate than this one.

When you say "supercars" it also means "the fans" (Like the Mixer types?) who'd much rather Aus motorsport be as it is with supercars than have a wider, variable, egalitarian community/industry, which would have to involve other classes of racing, and not allow the "top tier" get so far ahead of everything else as create a clique/"powerbase and an underclass.

Now I notice Casper's comment, which undermines whatever experience he has in motorsport.
And yours in any viable business venture. SC along with any professional sport is firstly a business venture and nothing else.
Old 31 Oct 2021, 05:28 (Ref:4080771)   #372
cavvy
Veteran

Who owns what?

Quote:
And yours in any viable business venture. SC along with any professional sport is firstly a business venture and nothing else.
It can be difficult to look at the sport you love in business terms.
I enjoy the business of sport & not just motorsport, whereas many fans regard it as poison, an unnecessary influence.

https://www.speedcafe.com/2021/10/31...ership-change/

So we have RACE owning Supercars with ARG having a shareholding but still having management rights over other series.
What other series are effectively outside these groups, & what does the future hold for them?
Where are the circuit owners in this?

Interesting days ahead, hopefully all players have OUR sport in mind.
Old 31 Oct 2021, 09:36 (Ref:4080783)   #373
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Tell that to football fans when the European Super League was proposed.The fan revolt that as the biggest factor in causing that multi billion dollar farce to collapse in about a week was a beautiful thing.
Old 1 Nov 2021, 00:32 (Ref:4080861)   #374
Casper
Veteran

Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan52 View Post
Tell that to football fans when the European Super League was proposed.The fan revolt that as the biggest factor in causing that multi billion dollar farce to collapse in about a week was a beautiful thing.
Big business and making money is the fundamental that professional sport is built on, nothing changes that. You only have to look at the length of time drivers stayed in the sport years ago to now, they stay now because they earn money within the sport and don't have to leave to earn a decent living. That was not possible until BE saw the opportunities F1 presented for him. He didn't care about others, just him.
Old 1 Nov 2021, 03:10 (Ref:4080875)   #375
cavvy
Veteran

Amen

Quote:
Big business and making money is the fundamental that professional sport is built on, nothing changes that. You only have to look at the length of time drivers stayed in the sport years ago to now, they stay now because they earn money within the sport and don't have to leave to earn a decent living. That was not possible until BE saw the opportunities F1 presented for him. He didn't care about others, just him.
Tony Cochrane & SEL hung in, as long as it worked for them.