Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 13 Jan 2022, 08:20 (Ref:4093545)   #1301
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Interesting to see Ricky Collard wanting to come back into the BTCC. No surprise he's hoping for the Laser Tools Infiniti. Would probably suit his style
Old 13 Jan 2022, 19:27 (Ref:4093610)   #1302
medius
Veteran

England
Media Office hiding from the rain
medius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmedius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Karun Chandhok mention with ten question marks yet?
Old 13 Jan 2022, 20:54 (Ref:4093625)   #1303
Mondeo Man33
Racer

Mondeo Man33 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does anyone know what the base engine is for the new M-Sport power unit? I think a Ford unit had been speculated but I haven’t seen any confirmation.
Old 13 Jan 2022, 22:10 (Ref:4093633)   #1304
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Two changes for 2022.

A) There will be some form of external LED indicating that the hybrid power is being deployed.

B) The organisers will ensure that the hybrid power is used in a way that sees the slowest cars competing at the front.

Peter Riches:
"The challenge to the teams will be quite big, and whether the back of the grid can keep up with the front initially is debatable, but we can do all sorts of things such as limit the guys at the front to allow the rear to catch up again while everybody understands the new system"

Alan Gow:
“The hybrids won’t externally change a car’s behaviour most of the time, they’ll still look and sound as they do. The only time the audience will know they’re being used will be the immediate increase in performance, as well as some external LED lights that will signal when the hybrid is active."
Old 13 Jan 2022, 22:15 (Ref:4093634)   #1305
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Jade Edwards has confirmed that (currently) she does not have a firm deal for 2022. But, does tag BTC so it seems there or nothing?
Old 14 Jan 2022, 00:22 (Ref:4093656)   #1306
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Peter Riches:
"we can do all sorts of things such as limit the guys at the front to allow the rear to catch up again while everybody understands the new system"
Please, no. (If that's meaning within a race.)
Old 14 Jan 2022, 09:38 (Ref:4093694)   #1307
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Ugh, that sounds horrible and is what I was afraid of with this hybrid stuff. It makes overtaking pointless and a non-event if a car can just breeze past another uncontested. I really hope that isnt the case.
Old 14 Jan 2022, 09:52 (Ref:4093697)   #1308
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I do hope they do not do what is being suggested here. It would make it way too artificial
Old 14 Jan 2022, 10:34 (Ref:4093708)   #1309
AnnoyedMoose
Racer

AnnoyedMoose should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAnnoyedMoose should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sounds to me as though they are expecting the teams without the depth of engineering expertise taking a lot longer than those with to get the hang of how to use the hybrid system.

Seems a bit weird as it seems to be a fairly simple system on the face of it.
Old 14 Jan 2022, 12:11 (Ref:4093721)   #1310
Sunbeam347
Rookie

Sunbeam347 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BMW Motorsport have just shared this tweet with Turkington and Jelley featuring, in picture 3 does it give a clue as to this years livery for the 3 series?

https://twitter.com/bmwukmotorsport/...781659659?s=21
Old 14 Jan 2022, 12:23 (Ref:4093724)   #1311
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
I do think it is more in the realms of preventing a car being too far removed from the field at the back, as opposed to getting a lesser-developed car to the front.

If anyone remembers the AFM Racing 120d whistling around long after the pack had passed through, you'll understand what they are trying to avoid I think.
Old 14 Jan 2022, 12:39 (Ref:4093727)   #1312
Sunbeam347
Rookie

Sunbeam347 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Recent tweet from BMW Motorsport shows Turkington and Jelly but pic 3 maybe gives a clue to the 3 series livery this year...

Old 14 Jan 2022, 12:44 (Ref:4093728)   #1313
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I do think it is more in the realms of preventing a car being too far removed from the field at the back, as opposed to getting a lesser-developed car to the front.

If anyone remembers the AFM Racing 120d whistling around long after the pack had passed through, you'll understand what they are trying to avoid I think.
Except they all fundamentaly now have the same kit. In the past seasons I think there has not been a BOP adjustment of any note. If now some teams - we can all guess who- cannot get a grip it seems unfair to those who have
Old 14 Jan 2022, 12:56 (Ref:4093729)   #1314
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
In the past seasons I think there has not been a BOP adjustment of any note.
I'm not certain of 2021, but there were definitely adjustments made in 2019 and 2020:

June 19 - 'British Touring Car Championship technical bosses have pegged back the WSR BMW 330i M Sport cars during an in-season turbo boost review'

October 20 - 'An adjustment to the turbo boost of rear-wheel-drive cars ahead of Croft brought both the infamous BMW and the Infiniti starts back into play.'
Old 14 Jan 2022, 13:05 (Ref:4093730)   #1315
BTCC frog
Veteran

BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!BTCC frog is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Two changes for 2022.

A) There will be some form of external LED indicating that the hybrid power is being deployed.

B) The organisers will ensure that the hybrid power is used in a way that sees the slowest cars competing at the front.

Peter Riches:
"The challenge to the teams will be quite big, and whether the back of the grid can keep up with the front initially is debatable, but we can do all sorts of things such as limit the guys at the front to allow the rear to catch up again while everybody understands the new system"
Is this not just the new version of success ballast? Or something worse...
Old 14 Jan 2022, 13:10 (Ref:4093731)   #1316
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I'm not certain of 2021, but there were definitely adjustments made in 2019 and 2020:

June 19 - 'British Touring Car Championship technical bosses have pegged back the WSR BMW 330i M Sport cars during an in-season turbo boost review'

October 20 - 'An adjustment to the turbo boost of rear-wheel-drive cars ahead of Croft brought both the infamous BMW and the Infiniti starts back into play.'
Like I said- of any note - generally I think the cars have been pretty even One Infinity has been fast consistently but only one - probably more organic than mechanical!
Old 14 Jan 2022, 13:58 (Ref:4093737)   #1317
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondeo Man33 View Post
Does anyone know what the base engine is for the new M-Sport power unit? I think a Ford unit had been speculated but I haven’t seen any confirmation.
https://www.facebook.com/MSportLtd/p...58710670838612
M-Tech have posted some pictures of the new engines. I don't know if that helps to identify the base engine.
Old 14 Jan 2022, 14:06 (Ref:4093738)   #1318
antnee
Veteran

antnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridantnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTCC frog View Post
That is what I thought - but it is a strange comment for someone other than Gow to make
Old 14 Jan 2022, 14:50 (Ref:4093746)   #1319
Mondeo Man33
Racer

Mondeo Man33 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
M-Tech have posted some pictures of the new engines. I don't know if that helps to identify the base engine.
Thank you! It does seem to resemble the Ford EcoBoost engine, although with lots of upgraded parts of course.
Old 14 Jan 2022, 15:35 (Ref:4093747)   #1320
Robin Marriott
Veteran

Robin Marriott should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by antnee View Post
That is what I thought - but it is a strange comment for someone other than Gow to make
Weird that the BTCC Technical Director would answer a technical question about the BTCC?
Old 14 Jan 2022, 16:27 (Ref:4093751)   #1321
CroftPilgrim
Racer

CroftPilgrim should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTCC frog View Post
Yes because there is no success ballast in 2022:

https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/a...-hybrid-future
Old 14 Jan 2022, 17:44 (Ref:4093764)   #1322
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbeam347 View Post
Recent tweet from BMW Motorsport shows Turkington and Jelly but pic 3 maybe gives a clue to the 3 series livery this year...

Sadly, I think not. That's the 2020 livery.
Old 14 Jan 2022, 17:45 (Ref:4093765)   #1323
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnoyedMoose View Post
Sounds to me as though they are expecting the teams without the depth of engineering expertise taking a lot longer than those with to get the hang of how to use the hybrid system.

Seems a bit weird as it seems to be a fairly simple system on the face of it.
I think it's also down to the CoG and base weight changes to the cars that the system introduces.
Old 14 Jan 2022, 18:10 (Ref:4093766)   #1324
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by medius View Post
Karun Chandhok mention with ten question marks yet?
Old 14 Jan 2022, 19:58 (Ref:4093775)   #1325
mark_l
Veteran

England
mark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you want to manipulate the racing, and make it a more 'made for tv' series then just hire Michael Masi as TOCA race director, who I believe will have a fairly empty diary in 2022.