Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 3 May 2022, 17:58 (Ref:4108801)   #3201
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
The date of this post - along with the text of the btcc.net article suggests the announcement was delayed for some reason?

Latest News posted 3rd May 2022 - 'Will Powell has today (29 April) been confirmed'......
Yes, was originally due to be announced last week.
...and then Powell's GT Cup car got written off and its driver hospitalised so it got delayed.
Old 3 May 2022, 18:02 (Ref:4108802)   #3202
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyseeker View Post
He was/is doing BGT GT4 with Lines, wasn't he?
His most recent activity has been in the British Endurance Championship.

In the first round at Silverstone, Lines partnered Anton Spires in a Seat TCR entered by Motus One. They finished 5th overall and 2nd in Class E.
At the same event, Powell partnered Dave Scaramanga in a McLaren GT3 entered by Motus One. They finished 9th overall and 2nd in Class A.

In the second round at Oulton Park, Lines partnered Rob Butler in a Seat TCR entered by Maximum Motorsport. They finished 15th overall and 3rd in Class E.
Powell partnered Dave Scaramanga again, but this time in a McLaren 570S GT4 entered by Motus One. They finished 21st overall and 6th in Class D.
Old 3 May 2022, 18:03 (Ref:4108804)   #3203
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by sceptic View Post
Yes, was originally due to be announced last week.
...and then Powell's GT Cup car got written off and its driver hospitalised so it got delayed.
Understandable delay.
Old 17 May 2022, 19:41 (Ref:4110416)   #3204
BobJones
Veteran

BobJones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hopefully news that the BTCC game is pushed back by a year or two and not canned. https://traxion.gg/btcc-game-status-...-of-june-2022/

Happy to wait for something more polished.
Old 17 May 2022, 19:50 (Ref:4110417)   #3205
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobJones View Post
Hopefully news that the BTCC game is pushed back by a year or two and not canned. https://traxion.gg/btcc-game-status-...-of-june-2022/

Happy to wait for something more polished.
So. Looks like the game is still on the way, but probably the earliest we can expect it is Q3 2023....
Old 18 May 2022, 06:26 (Ref:4110446)   #3206
Alessio
Racer

Italy
London
Alessio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wouldn’t trust anything Traxion says about anything Motorsport Games. A lot of significant staff are leaving and the rumours are that both IndyCar and NASCAR are trying to find a way out of their contracts…
Old 19 May 2022, 07:57 (Ref:4110537)   #3207
Redshift
Rookie

Redshift should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Steve Rider

Steve Rider is interviewed in the Daily Telegraph and the article says this: -
'His last major event as a presenter was the 2011 Rugby World Cup for ITV, but he keeps his oar in fronting ITV4’s coverage of the British Touring Car Championship. “Possibly this will be my last year,” he says.'

Who could be his replacement as programme anchor?

Last edited by Redshift; 19 May 2022 at 07:58. Reason: Wrong wording
Old 19 May 2022, 11:12 (Ref:4110554)   #3208
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshift View Post
Steve Rider is interviewed in the Daily Telegraph and the article says this: -
'His last major event as a presenter was the 2011 Rugby World Cup for ITV, but he keeps his oar in fronting ITV4’s coverage of the British Touring Car Championship. “Possibly this will be my last year,” he says.'

Who could be his replacement as programme anchor?
For me, Steve really is an integral and hugely likeable part of the BTCC, so it would be huge shame when he does step down. He's been presenting for much longer than I seem to realise! That said, I did notice a few unusual mistakes on last weeks coverage.

Would be very hard to replace.

Personally, I think when Plato vacates he could be funny doing the commentary alongside Addison.
Old 19 May 2022, 11:54 (Ref:4110561)   #3209
antnee
Veteran

antnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridantnee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They are some big shoes to fill - there are a few people around who fit the bill, including Matt Neal
Old 19 May 2022, 14:11 (Ref:4110573)   #3210
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evantra View Post
For me, Steve really is an integral and hugely likeable part of the BTCC, so it would be huge shame when he does step down. He's been presenting for much longer than I seem to realise! That said, I did notice a few unusual mistakes on last weeks coverage.

Would be very hard to replace.

Personally, I think when Plato vacates he could be funny doing the commentary alongside Addison.
Rider has been involved since at least 1988 - his subconscious knowledge must be huge. Plato may be an option except I suspect he would be like Chris Evans on Top Gear - all about me- Big shoes to fill....
Old 23 May 2022, 08:58 (Ref:4110997)   #3211
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
A question, please, for regular Croft visitors. We will be parked up near the hairpin as last year, but wondered what the viewing is like on the infield, and if it's any good, how do you get access to it?
Old 23 May 2022, 10:12 (Ref:4111009)   #3212
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I've never visited Croft, but your question does make me wonder how spectators get to the infield, as I've never seen any obvious place to access it from what I've seen on TV
Old 23 May 2022, 10:27 (Ref:4111015)   #3213
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
A question, please, for regular Croft visitors. We will be parked up near the hairpin as last year, but wondered what the viewing is like on the infield, and if it's any good, how do you get access to it?
a marshal opens up to cross the track to the infield between races
the track crossing is on the back straight between the chicane and tower bend
Old 23 May 2022, 12:12 (Ref:4111027)   #3214
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by touring fan01 View Post
a marshal opens up to cross the track to the infield between races
the track crossing is on the back straight between the chicane and tower bend

Thanks for that, and I had a brain fart because I meant that we will be parked by the chicane as last year. However, what is the viewing like on the infield; are you able to see more than if you were sat on the bank overlooking the chicane?
Old 23 May 2022, 12:13 (Ref:4111030)   #3215
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Steve Rider is one of the old school class of presenters. Listening to him speak is like sitting on your favourite sofa with a beverage of your choosing, all warm and comfortable. A bit like a good radio host, he talks to _you_, the viewer, rather than the viewers plural, and although he's got encyclopaedic knowledge of touring car racing he doesn't pepper his speech with facts but drips bits into conversation so Tim & Paul (or whoever else he's talking to) then fill in the gaps.

Finding a non-grating replacement that satisfies everyone will be hard!
Old 23 May 2022, 12:28 (Ref:4111036)   #3216
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Thanks for that, and I had a brain fart because I meant that we will be parked by the chicane as last year. However, what is the viewing like on the infield; are you able to see more than if you were sat on the bank overlooking the chicane?
its well worth trying
if you dont like it you can always go back to the chicane
Old 31 May 2022, 18:50 (Ref:4112297)   #3217
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
It sounds like it’s a great spectator experience, with plenty of good viewing places around the circuit
Old 11 Jun 2022, 06:55 (Ref:4114140)   #3218
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
It's my local , and while the viewing is good ,it was so much better when Tower was accessible. Originally (ie when the circuit reopened in '96 ) you could walk down to the inside at Tower , having crossed to the infield . It is the most important overtaking spot on the circuit , and the close quarters view was fantastic . Watching F3 or a grid full of Tuscans there was wonderful .Then MSUK (or its then equivalent) decided it was too enjoyable , sorry dangerous , for spectators but for a time we could then watch from the outfield next to the marshals' post . That was too much fun too, and now it's a distant view from the infield.

Given that the circuit was extensively redesigned in the 90s , the other annoying missed opportunity was enabling viewing close to the hairpin . You get a rear view from the Complex , and a distant view from the infield (actually, everything is a distant view from the infield) . Croft has four main overtaking spots - Tower, Hairpin, Sunny , Complex - with Clervaux a possibility too. A shame that we can't see the best two properly.
Old 11 Jun 2022, 08:55 (Ref:4114161)   #3219
S griffin
Veteran

I'm sure people will still say it's a great experience, I've always enjoyed watching it on TV. They did a great job reopening it when they did. We should have some great racing there again this year. It's a shame we don't get other major national series racing there, but maybe sometime in the future. So we shouldn't complain too much. Those people who are going, enjoy

It seems the circuit might be a bit limited for space though, but that doesn't matter, other circuits have that problem, so spectator areas are limited
Old 12 Jun 2022, 06:35 (Ref:4114948)   #3220
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
I'll be going , as usual and will try to bite my lip as yet another bloody gazebo is erected to spoil the view. Litter and drunk chavs apart it can be a good day out - we all like a good panto .
Old 12 Jun 2022, 19:55 (Ref:4115240)   #3221
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondeo Man33 View Post
Thank you! It does seem to resemble the Ford EcoBoost engine, although with lots of upgraded parts of course.
Just to pick up on this.

If not already aware - it has now become common knowledge in the public domain that the engine is based on the EcoBoost block.
Old 15 Jun 2022, 17:42 (Ref:4115781)   #3222
BvtchxrSqvadNathan
Rookie

Scotland
Westmeath, Ireland
BvtchxrSqvadNathan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BMW UK, deleting their “BMW UK Motorsport” account, citing users to follow BMW UK for all things road car and WSR for motorsport activities. Is this perhaps the beginning of a possible end? Or am I being far too pessimistic and joining dots where they don’t align?
Old 15 Jun 2022, 18:14 (Ref:4115784)   #3223
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
oh dear

now we have to worry about Turkington being on the grid again
Old 15 Jun 2022, 18:23 (Ref:4115786)   #3224
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BvtchxrSqvadNathan View Post
BMW UK, deleting their “BMW UK Motorsport” account, citing users to follow BMW UK for all things road car and WSR for motorsport activities. Is this perhaps the beginning of a possible end? Or am I being far too pessimistic and joining dots where they don’t align?
I guess there's not much point in a general UK motorsport account when they only have one UK motorsport program(me? I never know!), so might as well just direct people to WSR's feed.

But if 'closing' means deleting, sounds like they want to cut an association with motorsport, which doesn't look promising for long-term support.

If 'closing' means stopping updating, probably less to worry about in that regard.
Old 15 Jun 2022, 18:52 (Ref:4115789)   #3225
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Wasn't there something last year, or was it even before that, that BMW started closing down their "own" motorsport divisions including in Germany. If this was so, surely it is just another step along those lines.