Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 30 May 2022, 16:51 (Ref:4112107)   #776
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Wow, what's done that?
Old 30 May 2022, 16:52 (Ref:4112109)   #777
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It puts a new take on a 'split crank', it's not meant to look like that!
Old 30 May 2022, 17:26 (Ref:4112116)   #778
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Wow, what's done that?
I've seen several cranks break in the same place over the years, sometimes the car will still keep running and will make a noise like a big end knocking, but obviously not at big revs !
It can be caused by not leaving a radius on the edge of the bearing surface when regrinding but in this case it doesn't kook like it. If used in a single seater car bottoming the bell housing on the track on bumps also causes it.

Last edited by GORDON STREETER; 30 May 2022 at 17:32.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 31 May 2022, 07:11 (Ref:4112174)   #779
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I had an A Series crank break, one of the journals broke away from the web. It was the fabled EN40B as well. The front pulley was missing, never did know if it was cause or effect. I suspect cause.

This was at Oulton Park. One kind marshal gave me the pulley back.

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk
Old 31 May 2022, 11:26 (Ref:4112203)   #780
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Cranks breaking at the rear web normally mean an out of balance (or loose) flywheel/clutch assembly or bottoming the bellhousing out on bumps. I have taken engines to pieces that were running and found the crank in two bits. Three main bearing ones seem to fail more and I remember the old 1340cc Ford Classic engine (that was a slightly longer stroke) was forever failing if revved too high but the 997/1200 cranks were bullet proof.
Sometimes they "could" have been dropped in a workshop during a rebuild possibly starting a fracture that would fail in the future, I have seen it all in the last 50/60 years
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 31 May 2022, 15:18 (Ref:4112253)   #781
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Yikes - Crankenstein!
Old 31 May 2022, 17:48 (Ref:4112288)   #782
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Sure is a shame as the rest of engine is lovely. I have a set of pistons but finding a crank is proving difficult. Mind you I have not asked MG David yet.This is a long stroke FJ 1098 engine. I am told we could use a 1275 crank but there needs to be some work done on main journal to make it fit. Anyone know ?.BTW I have spoke to Nick Swift. His reply was " blooming long strokes "
Old 31 May 2022, 18:46 (Ref:4112295)   #783
lotustwincam
Rookie

United Kingdom
lotustwincam should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I seem to remember that 1098 engines had 1.75 inch mains except for some late 1098 midgets that had 2 inch, the same as 1275s. Putting a 2" 1098 midget crank in a 1275 block was a way of getting a 1400 + engine IIRC, so in theory a 1275 crank should go into a 2" mains 1098 block. 1275 about 2.5mm shorter stroke though. Bore centers are a bit different as well!

Probably no help at all!!
Old 31 May 2022, 18:56 (Ref:4112299)   #784
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Ah yes the days of using cranks to tune your car/engine. When it was mainly cogs in there. Now we have more tools to fix it
Old 31 May 2022, 19:18 (Ref:4112307)   #785
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Ah yes the days of using cranks to tune your car/engine. When it was mainly cogs in there. Now we have more tools to fix it
???
Old 31 May 2022, 19:20 (Ref:4112308)   #786
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Does your dog bite?
Old 31 May 2022, 21:11 (Ref:4112321)   #787
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotustwincam View Post
I seem to remember that 1098 engines had 1.75 inch mains except for some late 1098 midgets that had 2 inch, the same as 1275s. Putting a 2" 1098 midget crank in a 1275 block was a way of getting a 1400 + engine IIRC, so in theory a 1275 crank should go into a 2" mains 1098 block. 1275 about 2.5mm shorter stroke though. Bore centers are a bit different as well!

Probably no help at all!!
From memory my engine was built with a Marina crank and we offset ground the big ends to increase stroke. IIRC with 74mm pistons we ran at 1460-ish cc. But it was a long time ago and I may be wrong.

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk
Old 31 May 2022, 21:19 (Ref:4112322)   #788
eamonn ledwidge
Racer

Ireland
Fyfield, Essex, UK
eamonn ledwidge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Does your dog bite?
That is not my dog!
Old 1 Jun 2022, 16:32 (Ref:4112431)   #789
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by eamonn ledwidge View Post
That is not my dog!

Not my dog either
Old 2 Jun 2022, 05:53 (Ref:4112494)   #790
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Whose dog is it, then?
Old 2 Jun 2022, 06:25 (Ref:4112497)   #791
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Dunno, but is this shimpanzee leecansed?
Old 2 Jun 2022, 07:06 (Ref:4112499)   #792
eamonn ledwidge
Racer

Ireland
Fyfield, Essex, UK
eamonn ledwidge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Dunno, but is this shimpanzee leecansed?
There is some doubt as to which City Ordinance applies to the licensing of the minkee, is it 47B or 132R?. The Officer of the Leuw needs to clarify this with his superior.

Last edited by eamonn ledwidge; 2 Jun 2022 at 07:25.
Old 2 Jun 2022, 07:55 (Ref:4112506)   #793
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
https://youtu.be/WnlIWpZSPXU.
Old 2 Jun 2022, 08:11 (Ref:4112509)   #794
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'd forgotten that 'Allo, 'Allo had taken their use of the stupid policeman from Peter Sellers' performance. Thinking about it, was it ever acknowledged that it had been borrowed?
Old 3 Jun 2022, 09:45 (Ref:4112635)   #795
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
THe old scatter crank trick eh. Customer of mine managed it with a short stroke 5 bearing. Still no idea why, no warning just bang. He was leading the race as well.
Attached Thumbnails
4AFCCBC8-123A-4F98-B6CA-BFCD33146637.jpeg  
Old 3 Jun 2022, 13:39 (Ref:4112672)   #796
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
THe old scatter crank trick eh. Customer of mine managed it with a short stroke 5 bearing. Still no idea why, no warning just bang. He was leading the race as well.
Looks like it's let go at a big end,had it been reground ?
Old 3 Jun 2022, 13:40 (Ref:4112673)   #797
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Well now you have the truth !!

Almost 2,000 times more particle pollution is produced by tyre wear than is pumped out of the exhausts of modern cars, tests have shown.
Old 3 Jun 2022, 15:36 (Ref:4112692)   #798
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post

Almost 2,000 times more particle pollution is produced by tyre wear than is pumped out of the exhausts of modern cars, tests have shown.
And actual tyre production, as opposed to tyre wear, is a bit on the unfriendly side too.

Quote:
The EPA has identified rubber tire manufacturing facilities as major sources of hazardous air pollutants (HAP) emissions. These HAP include hexane, toluene, formaldehyde, styrene and methanol, which are associated with a variety of adverse health effects, such as chronic health disorders (e.g., polyneuropathy, degenerative lesions of the nasal cavity) and acute health disorders (e.g., respiratory irritation, nausea, blurred vision, and headaches).
Old 3 Jun 2022, 22:25 (Ref:4112747)   #799
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post

Yup which is why they now propose taxing EVs. Not one of these numpties has learned basic physics.
Old 4 Jun 2022, 09:23 (Ref:4112804)   #800
Tel 911S
Veteran

Tel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTel 911S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Yup which is why they now propose taxing EVs. Not one of these numpties has learned basic physics.
Yes , the whole emissions scam is about taking money from the people .

The covid lockdown had no effect at all on worldwide CO2 levels .
And the 80% odd reduction in traffic had no effect on particulate emissions .
https://airqualitynews.com/2020/09/0...n-in-scotland/
One of the few reports that was allowed to be shown .
When a German transport minister did an online TV report saying the same thing , it was made to disappear very quickly .

So the lies will still carry on to take more and more taxes from everybody .
Closed Thread