Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 2 Jun 2022, 13:34 (Ref:4112547)   #1
Mike Crow
Racer

Mike Crow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thruxton Historic

All is not well I fear with our sport. MRL entries for Thruxton are truly dire. Especially as they are for 1 hour races. Brexit ? Covid? Economic outlook? Too much racing? Dislike of Thruxton? All or none of these? Whatever, it’s very sad.
Old 2 Jun 2022, 14:03 (Ref:4112548)   #2
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I mean no disrespect to Duncan and his team but there are two things reducing entries IMO.

The first is the dominance of the Turbos and M3s in the HTCC, which means the earlier Group A drivers are now playing second fiddle, I know two who have given up. This has also impacted the Tony Dron Trophy but perhaps to a lesser extent. Then the HRDC is trying (possibly successfully) to run a Gerry Marshall Trophy thus taking away the Group 1/1.5 cars. This series is sponsored by Jim Morris of Lifeline who runs an exceedingly quick Golf GTI.

Then we have the Le Mans Classic this year, although as John R says in that thread, UK entries are down for that one too.

The stock market has nose dived which has taken a number of people out of the game, albeit hopefully temporarily. Not sure about Brexit, which happened two years ago, can have any impact on this event. The pandemic, and associated drag on investments, is certainly having an impact. But grids were good during the pandeminc so I suspect overall it's a product of timing and too many events.
Old 3 Jun 2022, 08:47 (Ref:4112631)   #3
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
I mean no disrespect to Duncan and his team but there are two things reducing entries IMO.

The first is the dominance of the Turbos and M3s in the HTCC, which means the earlier Group A drivers are now playing second fiddle, I know two who have given up. This has also impacted the Tony Dron Trophy but perhaps to a lesser extent. Then the HRDC is trying (possibly successfully) to run a Gerry Marshall Trophy thus taking away the Group 1/1.5 cars. This series is sponsored by Jim Morris of Lifeline who runs an exceedingly quick Golf GTI.

Then we have the Le Mans Classic this year, although as John R says in that thread, UK entries are down for that one too.

The stock market has nose dived which has taken a number of people out of the game, albeit hopefully temporarily. Not sure about Brexit, which happened two years ago, can have any impact on this event. The pandemic, and associated drag on investments, is certainly having an impact. But grids were good during the pandeminc so I suspect overall it's a product of timing and too many events.
Yes i noticed Jim Morris name attached to the HRDC Snett event. Isn't he also sponsoring the HTCC series too?

The first drafts of entries for Thruxton are pretty thin but hoping a few more will turn up.

Like you say too many historic meetings too close together at the moment.
Old 3 Jun 2022, 11:27 (Ref:4112655)   #4
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Yes i noticed Jim Morris name attached to the HRDC Snett event. Isn't he also sponsoring the HTCC series too?
I think the HTCC series is sponsored by Silverstone Auctions (Nick Whale)
Old 3 Jun 2022, 18:10 (Ref:4112707)   #5
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The MRL entry lists are pathetic, even combining series the published grids are only 10, 10, 15 and 8.
We have weekend tickets at half price, via a car club, and it still feels like robbery.
Old 3 Jun 2022, 19:39 (Ref:4112715)   #6
Mike Crow
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brands View Post
The MRL entry lists are pathetic, even combining series the published grids are only 10, 10, 15 and 8.
We have weekend tickets at half price, via a car club, and it still feels like robbery.
Unless the other grids are really strong I will probably skip Sunday ( wasting the ticket ) and go to Combe. Though Combe grids have been blow par so far this year.

Perhaps we should hand the whole lot over to MSV and let Dr.Jonathon sort it out!
Old 4 Jun 2022, 07:57 (Ref:4112789)   #7
Mike Crow
Racer

On reflection, I think the biggest impact on Thruxton has probably been the proximity of the Le Mans Classic.
Old 4 Jun 2022, 10:40 (Ref:4112816)   #8
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
New Thread here: https://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?p=4112815
Old 7 Jun 2022, 18:03 (Ref:4113443)   #9
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
A very long story but we have decided not to go to the Red Bull Ring. Dr Bob and myself will race the Elite in Stirling Moss/ Gentleman drivers. and I will race a Delta in JRT. Looking forward to getting back to my local circuit.
Old 7 Jun 2022, 18:15 (Ref:4113448)   #10
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Enjoy Iain, I suspect all that mileage is getting you both down. Enjoy the meeting I have no doubt you will both have fun.
Old 8 Jun 2022, 09:11 (Ref:4113498)   #11
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Entry list from BARC site https://www.barc.net/wp-content/uplo...22-WEBSITE.pdf
Old 8 Jun 2022, 09:25 (Ref:4113500)   #12
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
How long can meetings go on with very low entry numbers ?
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 8 Jun 2022, 11:31 (Ref:4113509)   #13
Mike Crow
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
How long can meetings go on with very low entry numbers ?
Until supply matches demand I guess. We got used to some huge grids during the pandemic but before that came along there were already far too many clubs, circuits and competing series all chasing the same cars. Some consolidation seems inevitable. Eventually.
Old 8 Jun 2022, 12:07 (Ref:4113517)   #14
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Crow View Post
Until supply matches demand I guess. We got used to some huge grids during the pandemic but before that came along there were already far too many clubs, circuits and competing series all chasing the same cars. Some consolidation seems inevitable. Eventually.
Old 8 Jun 2022, 15:31 (Ref:4113575)   #15
brands
Veteran

Thruxton does have a habit of producing small grids for clubbie events and that is what this meeting has become, despite the hype on the Thruxton website.
I won't be rushing to book for this event next year, assuming it hasn't been binned by then.
Old 8 Jun 2022, 17:08 (Ref:4113596)   #16
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
With the congested schedule also this weekend is MG Live which includes the GTSCC which has a reasonable grid along with Masters in Austria too though that included a single digit HGPCA grid sadly.
Old 8 Jun 2022, 22:15 (Ref:4113648)   #17
Mike Crow
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willmaz223 View Post
With the congested schedule also this weekend is MG Live which includes the GTSCC which has a reasonable grid along with Masters in Austria too though that included a single digit HGPCA grid sadly.
I will give the whole Thruxton weekend a miss despite having bought tickets and enjoy two days of real clubbie racing at Castle Combe. Packed grids and Mini 7 races will be far more entertaining.
Old 8 Jun 2022, 23:18 (Ref:4113649)   #18
Thundersports
Veteran

Balearic Islands
On the dark side of the moon
Thundersports should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There doesn't seem to be a entry list for the Masters this weekend which is unusual.
Old 9 Jun 2022, 08:21 (Ref:4113683)   #19
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I will give the whole Thruxton weekend a miss despite having bought tickets and enjoy two days of real clubbie racing at Castle Combe. Packed grids and Mini 7 races will be far more entertaining.
Mmm, I've been hanging fire getting a ticket this year, I'll be using my season ticket at Brands. It's a shame as I love Thruxton but sadly many of their events seem to fizzle out. The Easter F2 reunion was a damp squib a few years ago.
Old 10 Jun 2022, 04:17 (Ref:4113893)   #20
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Some of the grids have decent sized entries, mainly the HRDC ones and JRT.

MRL's are slim but they often are outside of the Donington, Classic and Gold Cup meetings.

However I note Mark Burton's Commodore is now on the HTCC entry so that's something I'm really looking forward to seeimg and hearing.
Old 10 Jun 2022, 10:01 (Ref:4113918)   #21
Mike Crow
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Some of the grids have decent sized entries, mainly the HRDC ones and JRT.

MRL's are slim but they often are outside of the Donington, Classic and Gold Cup meetings.

However I note Mark Burton's Commodore is now on the HTCC entry so that's something I'm really looking forward to seeimg and hearing.
They promised five hour-long races and so I paid £36 for advanced tickets. For these five races( now only four) they have assembled a grand total of 44 cars. On their website today they still describe the event as top flight historic racing. That’s just lying.

I will be sorry to miss the JRT and I feel really sad for Thruxton but still talking up the event in that way is unforgivable.
Old 10 Jun 2022, 12:37 (Ref:4113941)   #22
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
On reflection, I think the biggest impact on Thruxton has probably been the proximity of the Le Mans Classic.
How about the clash with Le Mans itself? Surely the Venn diagram of drivers in historic racing/people who like the 24 is almost one circle!
Old 10 Jun 2022, 15:40 (Ref:4114032)   #23
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundersports View Post
There doesn't seem to be a entry list for the Masters this weekend which is unusual.
F1 at 10. Sportscars and GT grids at 7 cars a peace with a 18 car Legends grid. Deary me...
Old 10 Jun 2022, 16:27 (Ref:4114045)   #24
Mike Crow
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willmaz223 View Post
F1 at 10. Sportscars and GT grids at 7 cars a peace with a 18 car Legends grid. Deary me...
That makes Thruxton look busy. Very strange days. The Equipe GT grids and GTSCC at Silverstone are all very strong.
Old 10 Jun 2022, 17:31 (Ref:4114056)   #25
Willmaz223
Veteran

Quote:
That makes Thruxton look busy. Very strange days. The Equipe GT grids and GTSCC at Silverstone are all very strong.
Also given the fact there is an abundance of opportunities to race on the GP Circuit nowadays in a Pre 66 car.

Be interesting to see how the new Snetterton Historic does for entries.