Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 11 Jun 2022, 19:25 (Ref:4114511)   #26
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The race long battles for the lead in the Jack Sears and Jochen Rindt Trophy were the highlights of the day. The MRL races were as expected, unfortunately.
Old 11 Jun 2022, 20:18 (Ref:4114558)   #27
GCCheddaris
Veteran

England
Weymouth
GCCheddaris should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought the fifties sportscar race was quite entertaining with Ben Adams beating the bigger cars in his little Lola Mk1 and a good scrap between the first three RAC Woodcote Trophy contenders.
Old 12 Jun 2022, 13:46 (Ref:4115126)   #28
Willmaz223
Veteran

Willmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWillmaz223 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
5 starters for the Pre 63 and Jag race
Old 12 Jun 2022, 13:47 (Ref:4115127)   #29
GCCheddaris
Veteran

England
Weymouth
Just five cars for the Pre '63 GT /Jaguar race. For one hour. Presumably problems for Delta and Dr Bob in qualifying.
Old 12 Jun 2022, 20:33 (Ref:4115245)   #30
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Highlights today were the first few laps of the Single seaters, Alfas and Midget & Sprite races. The other races were dire.
A lot of people through the gates at the event but Thruxton/BARC need to have a serious look at the event as lots of the public were less than impressed.
Old 12 Jun 2022, 21:47 (Ref:4115259)   #31
GCCheddaris
Veteran

England
Weymouth
Nice to be back at Thruxton in spite of the desperately thin grids in some races. Highlights for me, obviously the Jochen Rindt Trophy races although today's race fizzled out slightly after Ben Tilley's retirement there were still plenty of other scraps down the field, including delta who seemed to be battling a different driver every time he came past!

The other races ranged from not bad (the HRDC races, Spridgets and fifties) to complete non events. Oh and I got a great tan standing on the new banking at Noble which gives a good if distant view of the previously mostly hidden fast parts of Thruxton. A shame it doesn't extend to the next corner (Goodwood ?) where a lot of action seemed to take place.

In defence of this meeting, I noticed a couple of the races at Castle Combe garnered only single figure entries with just two finishers in one race.
Old 12 Jun 2022, 22:27 (Ref:4115269)   #32
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Well run event and fairly well attended despite the unfortunate lack of entries and hope next year is better supported once again.
Old 12 Jun 2022, 22:40 (Ref:4115271)   #33
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
I checked and there were 14 in the HRDC Alfa Challenge race - which is about par for what Julius has been getting, sadly.
Old 13 Jun 2022, 20:53 (Ref:4115450)   #34
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Delta is having problems logging in but I can tell you he enjoyed his single seater outings, but sadly Dr. Bob's Elite suffered a diff failure.
Old 14 Jun 2022, 08:31 (Ref:4115504)   #35
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
OK here goes a full Thruxton report from team Delta.Due to a lot of travel problems at airports and Dr Bob had to get back to London from Zandvoort where we were last weekend we decided not to go to the Red Bull Ring.Much disappointment from me as I was looking forward to racing in Austria. We will have to wait for another time. As it turned out this was correct decision as we found a 60 minuet race at Thruxton to do but the little Elite 100% reliability ended with a broken diff.It was good to get Robert to another track and he managed 30 min practice and half the qualy session before car broke.
Another reason was I could test a Delta we had rebuilt over the winter so customer told me to enter the car in the Jochen Rindt Trophy Race.
Saturday morning went like this. We sent Robert out for his practice on new tyres. I was in the pit lane when Delta mechanic came rushing up saying the Scrutineer had failed a customer Delta on seat belts looking a bit worn. I went along to the garage to find out what the fuss was about and then another team member comes rushing up to tell me Dr Bob is in the pits complaining of very bad vibration from engine. Flyping eck I rush back to pit lane only to see the Elite driving out on track.GRRRRR .Back to the belts and I convince scrut that we will go to Merlin at Castle Combe and get a new set.He is happy with that and agrees to let our customer qualify with old belts. I dispatch Delta son off to Castle Combe but then another crew member says the Elite is back in the pits again. Rush round and there he goes back out on to track again.More Grrrrrr .This time I wait in the pits and Robert comes back in to explain the problem with the vibration. Quickly realize whats going on so i rip the weights of the front wheels and send him on his way for rest of practice.
Phew relief but no !!!!. My friend who was running the Delta i am racing comes up and tells me the scrut has confiscated my crash helmet.This is another long story but thankfully Mary was coming over and she brought Mikes helmet for me to use. Thank you Mary.
Al in all an eventful morning.
I was just so glad by this time to get out on track and qualify the car.Ended up 21st and P5 in FF2000 class. We did a few changes on the car and I had a brilliant race . Sunday was more of the same although I was nursing high water temperature "suspect head gasket".On Aggregate I was P3 over both races so very happy with that and we had sorted a few teething problems with the car. Owner of the car came to watch but there is very sad story here as recently he has been diagnosed with MS and will not be able to race any more . The car is up for sale.As I said earlier diff failed in qualy with the Elite but thankful it was here and not at our next stop. LeMans.
Old 14 Jun 2022, 11:10 (Ref:4115531)   #36
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
OK here goes a full Thruxton report from team
Nothing new there then !!
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 14 Jun 2022, 13:39 (Ref:4115550)   #37
eamonn ledwidge
Racer

Ireland
Fyfield, Essex, UK
eamonn ledwidge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
" My friend who was running the Delta i am racing comes up and tells me the scrut has confiscated my crash helmet.This is another long story but thankfully Mary was coming over and she brought Mikes helmet for me to use. Thank you Mary.
I think we need to hear much more about this.

Question - Has your head outgrown the helmet?? or is there more??

Just asking for a friend
Old 14 Jun 2022, 14:04 (Ref:4115556)   #38
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
I did a stupid thing. I know that's not difficult for me. I left a bottle of rain X in my helmet bag. It leaked and took the paint off. I was horrified as much as scrutineer. They did go a bit over board and condemned the hat.I will get it checked at Bell and repainted. It was a real privilege to use Mike helmet.
Here is a picture from Sunday wearing the owner of the car crash hat., He has given it to me. I look like Daft Aydore.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Iain driving Delta T79. Chassis number 027.Thruxton 2022..jpg
Views:	18
Size:	398.5 KB
ID:	75294
Old 14 Jun 2022, 15:00 (Ref:4115576)   #39
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
What a great tale of a typical motor racing event. As drivers/owners/managers we are all such experts in crisis management, far more so than those with business letters after their names. Well done on even getting out there.

Took me ages to work out who Daft Aydor was, looks like one of Bauble's infernal puzzles

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk
Old 14 Jun 2022, 15:01 (Ref:4115577)   #40
Malcolm Smith
Veteran

Malcolm Smith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I did a stupid thing. I know that's not difficult for me. I left a bottle of rain X in my helmet bag. It leaked and took the paint off. I was horrified as much as scrutineer. They did go a bit over board and condemned the hat.I will get it checked at Bell and repainted. It was a real privilege to use Mike helmet.
Here is a picture from Sunday wearing the owner of the car crash hat., He has given it to me. I look like Daft Aydore.
Attachment 75294
Fabulous photo, Ian. Great to read the tales of you and Dr. Bob's European tour. Don't forget Knockhill, there's an an ideal opportunity, on 21st August, to race with Scottish Classics.
Old 16 Jun 2022, 11:08 (Ref:4115875)   #41
Derwent
Racer

Derwent is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Given the cost of running a meeting, you have to wonder if these meetings are viable for the club or promoter. Usually you look at 60% full grids to cover costs.
Old 17 Jun 2022, 13:31 (Ref:4116078)   #42
GCCheddaris
Veteran

England
Weymouth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derwent View Post
Given the cost of running a meeting, you have to wonder if these meetings are viable for the club or promoter. Usually you look at 60% full grids to cover costs.
I think the maximum grid at Thruxton is 35, so 60% would be 21. Multiplying that by nine grids equals 189 so with just over 130 cars entered it's easy to see that the BARC probably made a substantial loss. Hopefully this was just a blip and the meeting can bounce back next year.

I see the HRDC's Gerry Marshall Trophy for Group 1/1.5 saloons begins at Snetterton this weekend with nearly thirty cars entered. Shame they weren't at Thruxton last weekend !
Old 17 Jun 2022, 14:24 (Ref:4116093)   #43
Mike Crow
Racer

Mike Crow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCCheddaris View Post
I think the maximum grid at Thruxton is 35, so 60% would be 21. Multiplying that by nine grids equals 189 so with just over 130 cars entered it's easy to see that the BARC probably made a substantial loss. Hopefully this was just a blip and the meeting can bounce back next year.

I see the HRDC's Gerry Marshall Trophy for Group 1/1.5 saloons begins at Snetterton this weekend with nearly thirty cars entered. Shame they weren't at Thruxton last weekend !
Who stands the loss? Thruxton or MRL? I would have thought the club bought the grid and they would lose if they cannot fill it. Am I right?
Old 17 Jun 2022, 14:28 (Ref:4116095)   #44
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Crow View Post
Who stands the loss? Thruxton or MRL? I would have thought the club bought the grid and they would lose if they cannot fill it. Am I right?
The organising club for the event will have hired the circuit from Thruxton. The organiser stands the loss.
Old 17 Jun 2022, 15:57 (Ref:4116117)   #45
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I think the maximum grid at Thruxton is 35, so 60% would be 21. Multiplying that by nine grids equals 189 so with just over 130 cars entered it's easy to see that the BARC probably made a substantial loss.
The maximum grid at Thruxton varies between 28 and 42 cars depending on the type and engine size. However, most of the grids at the weekend could have accommodated 42 cars. Therefore the losses might be a bit bigger than suggested.
Quote:
Pleasantly surprised by that as Snetterton isn't the most 'fashionable' circuit. I guess this does indicate that people will participate in races where there cars will be competitive. As previously indicated, a Group 1 saloon currently isn't in the HTCC.
Old 17 Jun 2022, 17:21 (Ref:4116130)   #46
Mike Crow
Racer

Mike Crow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by kipper View Post
The maximum grid at Thruxton varies between 28 and 42 cars depending on the type and engine size. However, most of the grids at the weekend could have accommodated 42 cars. Therefore the losses might be a bit bigger than suggested.

Pleasantly surprised by that as Snetterton isn't the most 'fashionable' circuit. I guess this does indicate that people will participate in races where there cars will be competitive. As previously indicated, a Group 1 saloon currently isn't in the HTCC.
GTSCC also have a new group 1 / 1.5 saloon car race scheduled at the Autumn Classic at Castle Combe so they see an opportunity as well. Hope we don’t get two competing series. Mixing these cars with the later cars was a mistake as time has shown.
Old 17 Jun 2022, 17:54 (Ref:4116136)   #47
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I was part of the original MRL initiative and it worked fine, the problem has arisen with the inclusion of the Sierras, M3s and Nissans.

The GTSCC event is quite expensive compared to HRDC. I wish them all well but it does appear that someone has jumped on a bandwagon to the detriment of others.
Old 3 Nov 2022, 10:29 (Ref:4132508)   #48
GCCheddaris
Veteran

England
Weymouth
Following on from this year's poorly supported Thruxton Historic, Thruxton have announced that they will be organising the 2023 meeting themselves. Apparently there may be less Historic content than in previous years. https://thruxtonracing.co.uk/news/17...-historic-2023
Old 3 Nov 2022, 12:14 (Ref:4132517)   #49
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Interesting, if it doesn't clash with Le Mans next year it may be entertaining.
Old 3 Nov 2022, 12:26 (Ref:4132519)   #50
GCCheddaris
Veteran

England
Weymouth
Donington's HSCC meeting is the following weekend although with the crowded calendar it is difficult to avoid back to back weekends.

Having lost their second BTCC race in 2023, Thruxton are also looking for content for their sixth meeting. British GT appears to be ruled out as they appear reluctant to race at the Hampshire circuit.