Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 31 Jul 2022, 19:15 (Ref:4121241)   #126
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I found that I have just watched 3 highly entertaining races. To my simple mind, it doesn't require multiple passes, although they are good as well, just watching the race craft of skilled drivers just maintaining their race places can be quite exhilarating when they are driving at 10/10ths, and this was displayed by a number of the drivers this afternoon.

If I had paid to go and see that I would have considered my money very well spent.
Old 31 Jul 2022, 19:47 (Ref:4121253)   #127
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Three good races as usual BTCC people moan but i think the new format/cards are working well
Old 31 Jul 2022, 20:57 (Ref:4121271)   #128
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I only saw race 2 which was enjoyable. I assume 'track limits' have no application though in the BTCC? I don't remember which corner it was but they might as well move the rumble strip over about 3 yards to the right as the corner is no longer a corner really.....
Old 31 Jul 2022, 21:14 (Ref:4121273)   #129
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
I only saw race 2 which was enjoyable. I assume 'track limits' have no application though in the BTCC? I don't remember which corner it was but they might as well move the rumble strip over about 3 yards to the right as the corner is no longer a corner really.....
If you made BTCC drivers follow the generally accepted standards of circuit racing in every other series - BTCC 'fans' would say it was boring.
Old 31 Jul 2022, 21:41 (Ref:4121284)   #130
InYourMirrors45
Rookie

InYourMirrors45 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BTC Look bang in trouble and the problem isn’t one within their control...
Old 31 Jul 2022, 21:48 (Ref:4121286)   #131
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
What’s the issue?
Old 31 Jul 2022, 22:06 (Ref:4121288)   #132
pimmy
Veteran

England
Witney
pimmy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good day's racing today. Race 1 was brilliant, plenty of movement in the championship too.
Old 1 Aug 2022, 06:43 (Ref:4121319)   #133
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
If you made BTCC drivers follow the generally accepted standards of circuit racing in every other series - BTCC 'fans' would say it was boring.
Hmm, probably. I guess I'd just like to see some attempt to actually drive on the circuit.......

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the race, but it doesn't grab me much any more - not like it did when I watched most of the races back in the mid-late 80's.
Old 1 Aug 2022, 06:49 (Ref:4121321)   #134
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Hmm, probably. I guess I'd just like to see some attempt to actually drive on the circuit.......

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the race, but it doesn't grab me much any more - not like it did when I watched most of the races back in the mid-late 80's.
Talking of the racing 'back in the day' I did enjoy the banter between Tim Harvey & John Clelland with Steve Rider.
Old 1 Aug 2022, 06:50 (Ref:4121322)   #135
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by InYourMirrors45 View Post
BTC Look bang in trouble and the problem isn’t one within their control...
On or off track? There are rumours circulating about troubles for both.
Old 1 Aug 2022, 07:12 (Ref:4121324)   #136
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
That was a great day of racing

Hill really looked on it, he deserved that win in R1. Certainly he's a charger, although he did show he's a little rough around the edges.

Sutton finally got his first win of the year, another great display by him. Turkington picked up some good points to take the lead in the title race. Very canny of him to let Hill through in the 3rd race. Tingram was doing quite well until that off in R3. Great recovery to 12th though, that could be crucial at the end of the year

Good drive by Patterson to get points in R2, his best drive of the season. Shame he had to pull in in R3 due to the meatball flag. Lloyd did not seem comfortable in his car this weekend. A big change from the last round at Croft
Old 1 Aug 2022, 08:51 (Ref:4121338)   #137
AnnoyedMoose
Racer

AnnoyedMoose should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAnnoyedMoose should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tux View Post
What’s the issue?
Going by the interview with Cook it would appear to be the engine but, given that they are saying they have everything else perfected on the car, I don't understand why they aren't the top TOCA engined cars at every race then.

Or perhaps I don't understand how the balancing works.
Old 1 Aug 2022, 09:00 (Ref:4121339)   #138
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
Talking of the racing 'back in the day' I did enjoy the banter between Tim Harvey & John Clelland with Steve Rider.
Yes, to me it seemed like Tim was having a good laugh but Cleland still couldn't stand him! Maybe it was just me, but very funny!
Old 1 Aug 2022, 10:56 (Ref:4121358)   #139
Millvi
Racer

Millvi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
On or off track? There are rumours circulating about troubles for both.
The Rich Energy rumours after the BSB announcements? Or some additional rumours?

I recall Jade Edwards appealing for more sponsors but I didn’t see enough of her car to see if she’d added any new logos.
Old 1 Aug 2022, 11:15 (Ref:4121360)   #140
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
That was a great day of racing

Hill really looked on it, he deserved that win in R1. Certainly he's a charger, although he did show he's a little rough around the edges.

Sutton finally got his first win of the year, another great display by him. Turkington picked up some good points to take the lead in the title race. Very canny of him to let Hill through in the 3rd race. Tingram was doing quite well until that off in R3. Great recovery to 12th though, that could be crucial at the end of the year

Good drive by Patterson to get points in R2, his best drive of the season. Shame he had to pull in in R3 due to the meatball flag. Lloyd did not seem comfortable in his car this weekend. A big change from the last round at Croft

Forgot to say well done to George Gamble. He’s really taken to the BTCC like a duck to water and proves that you can beat Morgan in his team. He thoroughly deserved that win after a controlled drive
Old 1 Aug 2022, 11:15 (Ref:4121361)   #141
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millvi View Post
I recall Jade Edwards appealing for more sponsors but I didn’t see enough of her car to see if she’d added any new logos.
I think the windscreen strip at least was different, but existing PHSC (PSHC? PCSH?) branding was still there.
Old 1 Aug 2022, 11:16 (Ref:4121362)   #142
Evantra
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
after a controlled drive
If only the owners of that house could say the same!
Old 1 Aug 2022, 12:05 (Ref:4121381)   #143
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Can I just say Jonny Palmer did an outstanding job in the comms box given the extremely short notice he had to fill in.
Old 1 Aug 2022, 13:31 (Ref:4121391)   #144
AnnoyedMoose
Racer

AnnoyedMoose should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAnnoyedMoose should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
Can I just say Jonny Palmer did an outstanding job in the comms box given the extremely short notice he had to fill in.
I thought he did great as well. Shame about the "fans" on the BTCC FB pages who can't comprehend how difficult is was for him. So he said Max rather than Tom a few times, big deal. Tim gets names wrong all the time.
Old 1 Aug 2022, 13:45 (Ref:4121395)   #145
Evantra
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnoyedMoose View Post
I thought he did great as well. Shame about the "fans" on the BTCC FB pages who can't comprehend how difficult is was for him. So he said Max rather than Tom a few times, big deal. Tim gets names wrong all the time.
Obviously the BTCC's not completely new to him, but think how many names and liveries he had to learn doing all the support races. Must've been around 100 entries across the weekend (including the 76 year old in the Porsches!)

Why Tim didn't correct him on Chilton after the fourth time, I don't know.
Old 1 Aug 2022, 15:37 (Ref:4121412)   #146
S griffin
Veteran

I thought he did a good job, although him keeping on calling Tom Chilton Max, got very frustrating after a while. Almost as if he was doing it deliberately
Old 1 Aug 2022, 16:29 (Ref:4121416)   #147
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evantra View Post
You're assuming Tim actually noticed it. There's so much going on in the comms box looking at the different timing screens, video screen, etc, that I'd imagine they are not listening intently to every last word each other says.
Old 1 Aug 2022, 17:58 (Ref:4121426)   #148
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
I'm biased of course, but Jonny is an excellent commentator. As long as he doesn't start talking about Tom Verstappen.....
Old 1 Aug 2022, 19:12 (Ref:4121439)   #149
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Obviously the BTCC's not completely new to him, but think how many names and liveries he had to learn doing all the support races. Must've been around 100 entries across the weekend (including the 76 year old in the Porsches!)

Ironically the 76-year-old in the Porsches was a driver Jonny Palmer would have known well already.
Old 1 Aug 2022, 20:09 (Ref:4121448)   #150
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Tim was too busy looking for any potential concertina effects at the hairpin.

The commentary was fine, it's more the lack of good replays that disappointed me this weekend.