Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 29 Jul 2022, 10:56 (Ref:4120830)   #26
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
A driver who I confess I disliked quite strongly when he was in his 'pomp but have grown to like considerably in the last few years. All time great? Perhaps the results speak for themselves.....
During his championship years at Red Bull he was an arrogant and extremely dislikable character. He was good, of course, but I still think four championships flattered him. So not an "all-time great".

His driving fell apart during his latter time at Ferrari, but he became a much nicer person. Indeed, he is now an extremely personable and occasionally funny speaker.

At Aston Martin he also seems to have recovered his driving ability, although it's a bit hard to tell as the car manages to camouflage that well.
Old 29 Jul 2022, 14:15 (Ref:4120854)   #27
AndreasDavour
Veteran

Sweden
AndreasDavour should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndreasDavour should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I see a common thread here that many of us feels he was not a very pleasant person before, but has matured a lot. I personally think it's because he was under the influence of some truly toxic people in the RBR team environment. Hang around Helmut Marko and anyone becomes a jerk.

That being said. I really love the Seb Vettel we have today. His passion for the sport, and his knowledge and sharp wit will be missed. I think I agree Alonso and Hamilton are greater drivers, but among those three I'd pick Sebastian to sit down with and have a beer. I really will miss him.
Old 29 Jul 2022, 16:00 (Ref:4120869)   #28
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
I share the sentiment of many here that I really disliked the Red Bull version of Vettel but like the version we have now.
Old 29 Jul 2022, 21:43 (Ref:4120894)   #29
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreasDavour View Post
I see a common thread here that many of us feels he was not a very pleasant person before, but has matured a lot. I personally think it's because he was under the influence of some truly toxic people in the RBR team environment. Hang around Helmut Marko and anyone becomes a jerk.
You may have a point there.
Old 30 Jul 2022, 08:50 (Ref:4120924)   #30
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It's only natural to compare Vettel with other drivers we may place in the pantheon of greats, but it arguably does him a slight disservice, because many will only say he fails to stack up against other serial winners or championship holders. If je were a two-time world champion, he would he said to be a good two-time champion rather than a bad four-time one. And he is certainly not bad. He made the most of his Red Bull opportunity and only started to slide around the time of Ricciardo's arrival and with a change in regulations.

Yes, he demonstrated the importance of the car, but, so what? A very good driver who has also always been someone with a bit of perspective of life outside F1, and who in recent years, has shown a competitive edge without the previous hints of superiority. I think he seems a fantastic person and he's also a fan, just like us.

He may not yet know how to fill the void, but he will use his intelligence, humility and curiosity to do so with aplomb.

All the best to you, Seb.
Old 30 Jul 2022, 08:50 (Ref:4120925)   #31
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It's only natural to compare Vettel with other drivers we may place in the pantheon of greats, but it arguably does him a slight disservice, because many will only say he fails to stack up against other serial winners or championship holders. If je were a two-time world champion, he would he said to be a good two-time champion rather than a bad four-time one. And he is certainly not bad. He made the most of his Red Bull opportunity and only started to slide around the time of Ricciardo's arrival and with a change in regulations.

Yes, he demonstrated the importance of the car, but, so what? A very good driver who has also always been someone with a bit of perspective of life outside F1, and who in recent years, has shown a competitive edge without the previous hints of superiority. I think he seems a fantastic person and he's also a fan, just like us.

He may not yet know how to fill the void, but he will use his intelligence, humility and curiosity to do so with aplomb.

Old 31 Jul 2022, 20:53 (Ref:4121269)   #32
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post

Wonderfully written!

Has he always had zeal for the sport's history? I don't remember hearing that before. Also was surprised to hear he had purchased an ex-Mansell Williams*, and he is a 'Red 5 fan.' Also, videos of him doing demos in old Aston GP cars floating around.

There certainly seemed to be something different about him recently. The hair. The plunging into bringing more light to social problems.

He does seem like an interesting guy and that he will enjoy life.

* I do realize that owning an ex-Mansell Williams-Renault has an investment component along with the collector/fan behavior.
Old 31 Jul 2022, 23:19 (Ref:4121293)   #33
Paulaweybridge
Veteran

United Kingdom
Paulaweybridge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaulaweybridge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very impressed with him recently on BBC’s ‘Question Time’. A highly intelligent guy with many concerns on what is going on in the world right now.

Love his new hair style.
Old 1 Aug 2022, 08:12 (Ref:4121331)   #34
AndreasDavour
Veteran

Sweden
AndreasDavour should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndreasDavour should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by skycafe View Post
Wonderfully written!

Has he always had zeal for the sport's history? I don't remember hearing that before. Also was surprised to hear he had purchased an ex-Mansell Williams*, and he is a 'Red 5 fan.' Also, videos of him doing demos in old Aston GP cars floating around.

Oh yes. He has been known in the paddock as the history geek, apparently.
Old 2 Aug 2022, 16:21 (Ref:4121565)   #35
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
didnt get a chance to watch any of the extended coverage this weekend...how did he address his upcoming retirement?
Old 2 Aug 2022, 19:57 (Ref:4121593)   #36
Caramba
Rookie

Wales
Swansea
Caramba should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was marshaling opposite the pits at the British GP in 2019, can't remember which day it was but there was a historic F1 race at the end of the day.
I looked across & saw Vettel spectating on the pit wall, he watched the whole race I think. It was a long time after the F1 track action had finished.
Old 2 Aug 2022, 22:11 (Ref:4121610)   #37
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caramba View Post
I was marshaling opposite the pits at the British GP in 2019, can't remember which day it was but there was a historic F1 race at the end of the day.
I looked across & saw Vettel spectating on the pit wall, he watched the whole race I think. It was a long time after the F1 track action had finished.
That would have been Saturday, late on, and Sunday, early doors. Muggins here was in the Aston safety car for both sessions
Old 3 Aug 2022, 02:05 (Ref:4121624)   #38
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Oh yes. He has been known in the paddock as the history geek, apparently.
He is also a major Beatles geek.A big plus.
Old 3 Aug 2022, 10:53 (Ref:4121667)   #39
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Considering how much awareness he has of the world outside F1, I think Seb will adapt to retirement pretty easily. And yes I do like the fact he has a great knowledge of F1 history, let's not forget him naming all the champions last year. As Ricciardo said at the time 'he's such a nerd!'
Old 3 Aug 2022, 17:02 (Ref:4121710)   #40
Caramba
Rookie

Wales
Swansea
Caramba should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
That would have been Saturday, late on, and Sunday, early doors. Muggins here was in the Aston safety car for both sessions
Yeah must have been late Saturday, I was flag waving on post 1
Old 5 Aug 2022, 14:44 (Ref:4121893)   #41
AndreasDavour
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Considering how much awareness he has of the world outside F1, I think Seb will adapt to retirement pretty easily. And yes I do like the fact he has a great knowledge of F1 history, let's not forget him naming all the champions last year. As Ricciardo said at the time 'he's such a nerd!'

Yeah, that was amazing.
Old 5 Aug 2022, 15:00 (Ref:4121898)   #42
AndreasDavour
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
didnt get a chance to watch any of the extended coverage this weekend...how did he address his upcoming retirement?

He did say roughly the same thing he has said in all the press releases and the interviews. The retirement speech on the Aston Martin YouTube channel (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3BgDLfRTjk) is actually really, really good. Well worth checking out.
Old 6 Aug 2022, 01:06 (Ref:4121948)   #43
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
He did say roughly the same thing he has said in all the press releases and the interviews. The retirement speech on the Aston Martin YouTube channel (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3BgDLfRTjk) is actually really, really good. Well worth checking out.
Thanks for that and appreciate the link!

More then seeing him drive elsewhere or another series, would love to see him running a team one day. Maybe Ferrari?
Old 6 Aug 2022, 03:43 (Ref:4121951)   #44
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
He might get involved in something Motorsport related, but I get he impression he’s got better things to do!
Old 19 Nov 2022, 08:52 (Ref:4134217)   #45
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

I rarely say this about drivers, as the cog keeps turning and you always get used to the new characters, but I will miss Sebastian Vettel. I agree Adam that he will go on to do something significant, and he is open-minded enough to think the whole world revolves around Formula 1, thank goodness. Someone with perspective and humility.

He has recently displayed poise in the car. His radio reaction to Stroll running him off the circuit in Interlagos was funny - "Okay".

Hope he enjoys the next part of life's journey.
Old 19 Nov 2022, 14:19 (Ref:4134240)   #46
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Hope Vettel goes out on a high this weekend. You can tell that everyone in the paddock will miss him
Old 19 Nov 2022, 15:12 (Ref:4134253)   #47
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
He’s my favorite.
Old 19 Nov 2022, 15:43 (Ref:4134258)   #48
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Loving the tribute helmets - Schumacher, Alonso others?
Old 20 Nov 2022, 10:20 (Ref:4134352)   #49
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
I must admit that my opinion of Seb has been a bit of a roller coaster, and I certainly didn't like him when he was playing the part of 'Finger Boy'. However, he seems to have mellowed since then and I have grown to like him more & more.
I hope he manages to go out on a high this afternoon and I also hope that this is not going to be the last we see of him, he is an interesting character and obviously a clever man.
Enjoy your retirement Seb, but (as my mum would have said), hopefully you'll now have time to give yourself a proper wash!
Old 20 Nov 2022, 10:36 (Ref:4134353)   #50
S griffin
Veteran

Seb's always been a decent bloke, although maybe he was seen as a cocky upstart in his early days. It's a shame he hasn't managed to get the results the last few years, but hopefully it will be a good weekend for him. I'm sure we could see him in other types of racing and I wouldn't rule out him trying to get back into F1. But for now he's probably had enough, so I don't blame him for leaving