Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 1 Aug 2022, 16:38 (Ref:4121417)   #1176
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
I used to work on those old land crabs when I worked for an Austin/Morris concern many moons ago. Although they were quite big they used to handle like a dream compared with several of the other models that we sold like the Moggie 1000/ A60 farinas at the time. They were very sure footed on our test route that included a decent surface that then finished by going into a dead end derelict housing estate full of pot holes. The old A55/A60 "boats" were rubbish with their lever arm shock absorbers and so were the Morris 1000s, whereas the 1800s just glided through like a rally car :I

I just had a thought, at the time we used to get problems with the gear selector cables that were a bit of an innovation back then, and we had to fit new ones under warrantee. I think that the boys that used to use them in trials and rallycross back then fitted some other cables off of a different car that came from down under in AUS ?

Last edited by GORDON STREETER; 1 Aug 2022 at 16:48.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 2 Aug 2022, 11:13 (Ref:4121520)   #1177
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Not quite sure what this is but I've received a Burberry scarf from a company in China. Paid using a China Union Pay Card. HK Dollars 3,980.00. I've checked my accounts and there are no payments in the last three months to this company or of a similar sum. Likewise I don't have a China Union Pay Card. It arrived today via the Post Office, duties paid. I'm at a loss to understand what is going on, since I didn't have to sign for the package either. Any ideas?
Old 2 Aug 2022, 11:23 (Ref:4121521)   #1178
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Not quite sure what this is but I've received a Burberry scarf from a company in China. Paid using a China Union Pay Card. HK Dollars 3,980.00. I've checked my accounts and there are no payments in the last three months to this company or of a similar sum. Likewise I don't have a China Union Pay Card. It arrived today via the Post Office, duties paid. I'm at a loss to understand what is going on, since I didn't have to sign for the package either. Any ideas?
It's probably bugged, or infected with their next covid invention...
Old 2 Aug 2022, 15:11 (Ref:4121551)   #1179
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
It's a mystery and hopefully nothing more than someone forgetting to do their paperwork....
Old 2 Aug 2022, 15:11 (Ref:4121552)   #1180
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Where did they get my name and address?
Old 2 Aug 2022, 15:52 (Ref:4121557)   #1181
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Where did they get my name and address?

An ominous theory would be that you have been subject to identity fraud, but then the fraudsters stupidly didn't change the address.
Old 2 Aug 2022, 16:12 (Ref:4121563)   #1182
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Thought that too.
Old 2 Aug 2022, 17:26 (Ref:4121568)   #1183
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sounds like ‘brushing’ scam

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brushing_(e-commerce)
Old 2 Aug 2022, 18:28 (Ref:4121580)   #1184
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Interesting, thanks Gary. I'll inform the constabulary and Burberry and of course revise my Amazon password.
Old 2 Aug 2022, 20:23 (Ref:4121596)   #1185
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary396 View Post

Although that we would be a somewhat expensive exercise, if it was actually a genuine Burberry scarf at almost £420.
Old 2 Aug 2022, 20:59 (Ref:4121603)   #1186
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Yes I think it's a fake.
Old 2 Aug 2022, 21:45 (Ref:4121607)   #1187
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Been out of useable wifi for a few days, so a bit late to the 1800 party, but I had one - a 1970 Mk2 - in the mid-late 70s, and it was a much better car then it looked. Cruised effortlessly, towed the rally Imp like a dream, and the back seat had plenty of room, as I recollect My rally partner was so impressed he bought one - but of course had to go one better with a Wolseley version!

I'd nearly bought a modified 1800 some years before - had twin carbs and a modified MGB head and modded exhaust manifold, apparently - but someone else beat me to it. I bought an MG1100 instead, which was OK-ish, but I suspect the 1800 would have been better
Old 3 Aug 2022, 08:39 (Ref:4121648)   #1188
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Race Retro revised dates 24 - 26 February 2023. I've plugged it into the calendar.
Old 3 Aug 2022, 16:07 (Ref:4121700)   #1189
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Richard I dont remember the landcrab to be imported on a regular basis here, but we had a lot of different versions of the Ado 16 including a Vandenplas Princess in the family. I found the car ok-ish when young and went for a Morris 1300 but always found the different engines rather weak.

Fact is we had no official subsidiary, they were sold through importers. Very few had the necesseary tooling and the knowledge about SU carbs settings was poor.
Old 6 Aug 2022, 10:08 (Ref:4121965)   #1190
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
We have discussed on here recently about delays in obtaining items when we need them, mainly because we always expect them to be immediately available. However, we are now having to temper our expectations because of worldwide problems, whatever the reason

Over the last couple of weeks , on my infrequent visits to the supermarket, I have been looking on the shelves for various items that seemingly are out of stock. One such item was the deodorant stick that I have been using for years and which I'm nearly running out of.

So in desperation I looked online from various sources, but they are either out of stock or, in a few cases, horrendously expensive from what appears to be somewhat dubious places. The manufacturers own site states that they hoped to have availability at the end of July, but that obviously didn't happen.

So I looked at the label at the back of the stick that I am using, and it then all became clear; it's manufactured in Russia. Which begs the question about why the company that markets it cannot be honest and just say why it is unavailable and that they are now trying to get them made elsewhere.
Old 6 Aug 2022, 10:28 (Ref:4121967)   #1191
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
https://youtu.be/d6IBiR9m3vY
Old 6 Aug 2022, 10:32 (Ref:4121968)   #1192
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Over here the French have all been bereft at being unable to buy Dijon mustard. This was apparently due to a lack of supply of mustard grains from Canada - not Dijon!

Personally I cannot stand the stuff & have happily been able to buy good old Colman's.
Old 6 Aug 2022, 10:45 (Ref:4121971)   #1193
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Dijon mustard is great for BBQ marinades.
Old 6 Aug 2022, 17:42 (Ref:4121983)   #1194
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
We have discussed on here recently about delays in obtaining items when we need them, mainly because we always expect them to be immediately available. However, we are now having to temper our expectations because of worldwide problems, whatever the reason

Over the last couple of weeks , on my infrequent visits to the supermarket, I have been looking on the shelves for various items that seemingly are out of stock. One such item was the deodorant stick that I have been using for years and which I'm nearly running out of.

So in desperation I looked online from various sources, but they are either out of stock or, in a few cases, horrendously expensive from what appears to be somewhat dubious places. The manufacturers own site states that they hoped to have availability at the end of July, but that obviously didn't happen.

So I looked at the label at the back of the stick that I am using, and it then all became clear; it's manufactured in Russia. Which begs the question about why the company that markets it cannot be honest and just say why it is unavailable and that they are now trying to get them made elsewhere.
I do think it’s time to identify and invest in our own strategic industries.
We seem to be reliant (or semi-reliant) on Taiwanese semi-conductors, Russian gas, lots of stuff manufactured in China etc etc.
I know that we can’t manufacture everything we need but maybe in concert with Europe (oh god, what did we do there), the US, Canada (for the Dijon mustard), Australia etc we could have a decent go at it, using the raw materials we have access to and not the raw materials we are reliant on “dodgy states” for.
The recent model of world trade leading to mutual reliance and therefore peace seems to be failing as the west seems to have been lulled in to being dependent and therefore easily blackmailed.
Old 6 Aug 2022, 18:21 (Ref:4121986)   #1195
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
I know what you mean but John's point was that in France they rely on Canada for mustard grains for French mustard. So having suggested we should invest in our strategic industries your post bemoans leaving the EU which appears to be a contradiction.

But you are correct in that we have chased net zero and ignored energy security. Closing Rough Storage means we have very little buffer for gas, then again we stopped the energy producers from producing and paid them out of green levies to stop North Sea Oil. Our coal mines were closed (not talking Thatcher era) on the back of green policies. Hence our steel works were stuck with importing coal and the additional cost of doing so, while Germany, among others, carried on mining and using their coal for their steel making.

Net zero is an impossibility because you can't make solar panels or wind turbines, or produce hydrogen in any quantity, without energy. But this philosophy is the root cause of our domestic problem.

As to leaving the EU? I believe we can still buy French and Italian wines, Belgian beer and German bratwurst at similar prices to those before Jan 2020 so that probably isn't the problem.

However, all that said, globalism and the idea that trade creates peace, is exactly what the EEC was set up to do. Looking at the EU approach to Ukraine suggests that was a complete failure.

There is IMO sadly no silver bullet, we have at least two years of serious hardship ahead. Germany has already run into the gas shortage.
Old 6 Aug 2022, 19:05 (Ref:4121994)   #1196
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I know what you mean but John's point was that in France they rely on Canada for mustard grains for French mustard. So having suggested we should invest in our strategic industries your post bemoans leaving the EU which appears to be a contradiction.

But you are correct in that we have chased net zero and ignored energy security. Closing Rough Storage means we have very little buffer for gas, then again we stopped the energy producers from producing and paid them out of green levies to stop North Sea Oil. Our coal mines were closed (not talking Thatcher era) on the back of green policies. Hence our steel works were stuck with importing coal and the additional cost of doing so, while Germany, among others, carried on mining and using their coal for their steel making.

Net zero is an impossibility because you can't make solar panels or wind turbines, or produce hydrogen in any quantity, without energy. But this philosophy is the root cause of our domestic problem.

As to leaving the EU? I believe we can still buy French and Italian wines, Belgian beer and German bratwurst at similar prices to those before Jan 2020 so that probably isn't the problem.

However, all that said, globalism and the idea that trade creates peace, is exactly what the EEC was set up to do. Looking at the EU approach to Ukraine suggests that was a complete failure.

There is IMO sadly no silver bullet, we have at least two years of serious hardship ahead. Germany has already run into the gas shortage.
Peter, I admit my points were not extensively thought out but an off the cuff reaction to John’s point. Nevertheless it wasn’t a Brexit point or a an isolationist point, more that “we” should join together to replace our reliance on Russia or China and look after our own interests, deciding which countries amongst our own “block” (whether NATO, AusUKUS, Europe, Japan or a hybrid of them all) sources and manufacturers or grows whichever particular goods that we need.
Maybe this will result in another “scramble for Africa” to secure raw materials, and maybe that helps them out, too.
Life was so much simpler in the “Cold War”!
In the mean time, I don’t think that Belgian beer, French wine or German sausages are strategic, but others may! We have Larkins and other real ales, South African/NZ /Argentina/ Californian wines and our own sausages and pork pies!
Old 6 Aug 2022, 19:15 (Ref:4121995)   #1197
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Lol, I concur and indeed I was working in a major oil pipeline running from Uganda to Tanzania. Sadly the Chinese moved in and thus I left.
Old 6 Aug 2022, 19:27 (Ref:4121996)   #1198
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
Peter, I admit my points were not extensively thought out but an off the cuff reaction to John’s point. Nevertheless it wasn’t a Brexit point or a an isolationist point, more that “we” should join together to replace our reliance on Russia or China and look after our own interests, deciding which countries amongst our own “block” (whether NATO, AusUKUS, Europe, Japan or a hybrid of them all) sources and manufacturers or grows whichever particular goods that we need.
Maybe this will result in another “scramble for Africa” to secure raw materials, and maybe that helps them out, too.
Life was so much simpler in the “Cold War”!
In the mean time, I don’t think that Belgian beer, French wine or German sausages are strategic, but others may! We have Larkins and other real ales, South African/NZ /Argentina/ Californian wines and our own sausages and pork pies!
You can't underestimate the importance of Belgian beer! I've also found a new French brewer here selling beer under the name 'John's Beer', which is fine by me.

Back to Andy's point, I really think it would be a good idea if the English-speaking world collaborated a lot more in the production of 'stuff'. No stifling EU-type nonsense - that just bogs everything down -but just good old fashioned working together for the common good. I am sure there has to be a future in that. We need at least one low-wage economy on board though!
Old 7 Aug 2022, 22:20 (Ref:4122132)   #1199
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Why would materials for Dijon mustard coming from Canada be remarkable?

Canada is, surely, still an outpost of France is it not?

As for the UK, even bloody HP has been made in Holland for a few years.

What will happen to that supply when the Dutch Farmers have their land confiscated? (Not that I suppose any of the current ingredients are locally grown.)

Maybe Holland will return to the Tulip as its main growth product and, possibly, food.
Old 7 Aug 2022, 22:43 (Ref:4122139)   #1200
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
Been out of useable wifi for a few days, so a bit late to the 1800 party, but I had one - a 1970 Mk2 - in the mid-late 70s, and it was a much better car then it looked. Cruised effortlessly, towed the rally Imp like a dream, and the back seat had plenty of room, as I recollect My rally partner was so impressed he bought one - but of course had to go one better with a Wolseley version!

I suspect the Auto was a bit less enjoyable to drive but to be fair it was a decent ride, very spacious and could be encouraged to shift along quite nicely (for the times) so long as the road to be travelled was suited to the Auto. Which was rare.

In some ways the Wife's Kia reminds me of the 1800. In Eco mode there is point in the throttle pedal movement (about 1/2 way through it travel" where a very firm push is required to break through "green mode" constraints. However the gearbox/hybrid EV is quite well masked.

In "Sport" mode the Auto box on the Kia has a similar response delay to how I remember the 1800. It would get to a point where a change was desirable and think about it for a while. The KIA, even in paddle mode, is similar - but with double the number of gears.

Father-on-Law had a Wolseley 2200 for a while. He was in no way a motorist. On the few occasions where we travelled with them when heading for a restaurant or similar it was all I could do to not leap out at a junction and insist on taking over driving duties.

For those that know the area we once travelled the entire length of the Hog's Back from Guildford to the Farnham end of it with an indicator flashing perpetually at about 40 mph.

Given the road then was a narrow dual carriageway with a central hedge and a lot of joining T junctions and central reservation crossings with most traffic travelling at something like 60 to 70mph, it was not a comfortable feeling. However the Wolseley did offer some solidity that might have been helpful in the event of an accident.
Closed Thread